Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Movie inconsistencies

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:40 am
Second Year

Movie inconsistencies

I was just thinking about this, because I noticed something when watching HP1 the other day. So, I thought we could maybe go back and see if there are things that have happened in the movies, that seemed OK at the time, but now that we have all of the books might seem like inconsistancies.

For example, in the chapter where Harry receives the Sntich from Scrimgeour, we are told by Hermione that they have flesh memory. Not even the person who makes the Snitch handles it without gloves. However, in HP1 when Wood is training Harry, they both touch the Snitch! Is it the same one he wins in the first match? Is that supposed to be the one that only remembers Harry? He was the last to touch it, but...

Anyway, you see where I am going with this thread. What can you guys remember?

What is right...? What is easy...? For some there is no difference.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:13 am
First Year

Re: Possible Movie inconsistancies, now that we have it all!

I think the one he trains with would not be the one they'd use in the actual game. It'd be like cricket - new balls for matches.

Old July 27th, 2007, 2:50 pm
First Year

Well, they didn't include the two-way mirror in the fifth movie. When I saw that, I figured that it must not have been as important as I had imagined it. Then I read the 7th book the next week . . .

Old July 27th, 2007, 2:56 pm
First Year

In the OoTP movie, Harry gets a glimpse of Snape's school days but only sees him getting bullied by James and his lot. But no Lily. (The book has Lily trying to help Snape)

I'm wondering how they're going to make the Lily/Sev relationship convincing when there hasn't been much about Lily's character.

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:58 pm
Rex's Mummy

I think they shot a way way longer scene for Snape's wort memory than made it into the movie, but as not everyone will know that or see it, it could cause some problems.

Also along the lines of Dumbledore's gift, he gives Hermione a book in ancient runes, but there is never a mention of her taking the class in the movies, is there? That one's not quite as difficult to explain away as the rest, though.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief managed View Post
Well, they didn't include the two-way mirror in the fifth movie. When I saw that, I figured that it must not have been as important as I had imagined it. Then I read the 7th book the next week . . .
I have a feeling they might just try and miss the mirror out, because JKR didn't seem to mind them cutting Dobby from the last film, just not kreacher. I reckon they might replace Dobby with kreacher and just get Harry to summon him to the cellar.

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:02 pm
Third Year

I was disapointed that the OotP movie did not introduce the locket, and as it's a Horcrux, it may provide a problem for the DH movie. I was surprised it wasn't in there as the video game even had the locket!

Going along with that same theme, we were never introduced to Mundungus either. Though I suppose that can be remedied by just having Kreacher have the locket in his possession.

Quote:
I have a feeling they might just try and miss the mirror out, because JKR didn't seem to mind them cutting Dobby from the last film, just not kreacher. I reckon they might replace Dobby with kreacher and just get Harry to summon him to the cellar.
That makes sense. As we'll likely see Kreacher's complete role reversal in the movie as well, it will make sense that he comes to Harry's aid in the Malfoy Manor. Having Dobby as well as Kreacher in the movie might confuse movie goers (though I would miss the burial, that was an emotional scene).

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

The two way mirror could become an issue - but then again they'll probabl cut it out like they do with everything else.

And like others have said, in the OotP film there wasn't a much focus on Snape being bullied by James, and Lily coming to help him. It may becme confusing for an audience who haven't read the books as they haven't seen anything between Lily and Snape prior to finding out that Snape loved Lily.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBlack101 View Post

That makes sense. As we'll likely see Kreacher's complete role reversal in the movie as well, it will make sense that he comes to Harry's aid in the Malfoy Manor. Having Dobby as well as Kreacher in the movie might confuse movie goers (though I would miss the burial, that was an emotional scene).

yeah it makes sense for the film time wise and stuff but I don't want them to do it because it'll make it seem like Harry's always got a great plan for every situation whereas in the book he is just as desperately clueless as Ron. (in the cellar that is)

Old July 27th, 2007, 7:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8m57w6 View Post
I think they shot a way way longer scene for Snape's wort memory than made it into the movie, but as not everyone will know that or see it, it could cause some problems.

Also along the lines of Dumbledore's gift, he gives Hermione a book in ancient runes, but there is never a mention of her taking the class in the movies, is there? That one's not quite as difficult to explain away as the rest, though.
I think she mentions it when they're all walking down to Hagrids hut in POA - something to do with her taking so many classes and saying its impossible to be in two places at once.....

Old July 27th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Second Year

Now we know Snape's worst memory was him calling Lily "mudblood". By doing so he ultimately ended their friendship and any possible future beyond that. Many have guessed it by reading that scene in book 5. The movie doesn't contradict this, but the clue isn't there. Movies work differently. There are no chapter titles. They couldn't put it into the dialogue because Snape wouldn't admit that Harry just witnessed his worst memory. If they kept that bit with Lily in, it would have been only half a clue. I'm sure we get to see the entire scene in the Deathly Hallows movie.

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Curse Breaker

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of the people who see Deathly Hallows in the summer of 2010 will have only vague memories of the older films. Even Prince will have been 18 months ago: and expecting people to remember that would be like expecting 4th year students taking their final exams to remember stuff from their mid year tests from their 3rd year. Indeed, it would be worse: at least the students studied that material 18 months before, whereas the audiences do not study the movies.

So, Hallows will have to develop important things from scratch even if those things were already said in earlier films. That is just the nature of things: people watch movies for entertainment, after all.

Indeed, the last book fell victim to this to some extent. I know a couple of people who read the book right after it came out, but who really did not remember Dobby. So, his death scene lost any impact: he was just a dimly familiar name that popped in (literally and figuratively) out of the blue and croaked!

To this end, things like leaving out the locket or the mirror or whatever are not important. After all, had Pirates 2 not shown the lockets, would that have undermined Pirates 3? Of course note: nobody even noticed the lockets in Pirates 2! Hallows only has to do three things:
  1. introduce the fact that Harry has "inherited" Kreacher from Sirius;
  2. introduce the fact that one of Voldemort's Horcruxes was replaced by someone named R.A.B.;
  3. Have Harry realize that R.A.B. was Sirius' brother, and then summon Kreacher to fetch the locket.
(The movie should cut all of the Ministry of Magic stuff, as people will view that as just a goose chase even if it does contribute to the story.)

Similarly, the mirror can be handled easily: just have Harry find the mirror at Grimmauld Place and then see an eye in it. He'll think that it's Dumbledore's eye and keep it.

Snape's past will be tricky, but the real thing to emphasize will be the part in Prince where Dumbledore basically tells Harry that Snape did it for his mother. This can be done using a flashback to that scene, right after Harry sees Snape's memories. This will render Snape's Worst Memory a bit moot: indeed, the audience will have to be told again that Snape hates Harry's father.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old August 5th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Sixth Year

Film Inconsistencies

What inconsistencies have you noticed between the various movies that just annoy you? I blame the fact that they have multiple directors working who don't seem to care so much about details of previous films.

Some of mine are...

In the third film they showed the Fat Lady portrait was on the moving stairway, but in the previous two films it was down a corridor. I should think on the stairway would make it too obvious to the other houses where the Gryffindor entrance was when the books make it clear that students generally don't know where the other houses entrances are.

In the fourth film, Sirius's face appeared in the ashes. In the fifth film, his face appeared more ghostly in the flames. I think the way it was done in the fifth movie was more like the books, but since they did it differently in the fourth, I think they should have stuck with how they started it in the films for consistency purposes.

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:52 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Film Inconsistencies

The Fat Lady portrait inconsistency bugged me a but, but ive got used to it, seeing as its not really a big deal to me....

I cant really think of any that ive noticed really

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Sixth Year

I think another inconsistency is that the kids had wands that physically looked different starting in the third film. Which with Ron is understandable since his broke in the second and had to have a new one in the first. However, I don't think it's that noticable in the films really.

I didn't like the shift, though, in the third film of where some of the houses sat in the Great Hall.

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:09 pm
First Year

Yup, the moving of the portrait really got to me, becuase the Gryffindor common room was in an open space and the hogwarts grounds changed with the third film which i noticed

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Fifth Year

Honestly, i dont even notices these inconsistencies that you're pointing out, maybe i should watch more closely

I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:27 pm
First Year

Flitwick anyone? I mean what did they do, give him plastic surgery. It was so annoying (this is one of the reasons i hated the third movie)

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:35 pm
Fifth Year

Haha, well i noticed that! I just forgot. I liked he old flitwick with his beard etc. anyone know why he got changed?

I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornzyum View Post
Haha, well i noticed that! I just forgot. I liked he old flitwick with his beard etc. anyone know why he got changed?
Apparently JKR is behind the change. I believe she said she never saw him as a little goblin person, just a small man.

The only inconsistency that bothered me was how the stone circle was gone in OOTP. After the lengths they went to to invoke POA's look, like the door locking itself, the path to Hagrids hut, the pendulum, it was weird that the stones were missing.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies