Re: Film Inconsistencies

Exposition Lad, I take it.

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 9:07 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
If that's so, then why do the Dursleys have an HD-TV in OotP?
Clearly this Harry Potter movie is like The Ultimates version of Harry Potter. Does this letter on the top of my head stand for France?
Quote:
You are so right! All his lines (all both of them) are exposition. The one about the Grim and the other about trying to catch smoke...SMOKE WITH T EH BAR HANDZ!

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:10 am
Second Year

How about the location of the Whomping Willow?? first its near the Castle and then it's in a different area in POA..sort of like Hagrids Hut.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:12 am
Banned

Quick! Hogwarts Valley got a reverse liposuction!

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Damn, that actually made me laugh out loud.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrod311 View Post
Damn, that actually made me laugh out loud.
Thanks very much, then.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Quick! Hogwarts Valley got a reverse liposuction!
I'd prefer to call it an earthquake hit Hogwarts. Or other than that, Hagrid was part of the relocation program to allow the stench of his house to not affect the students during exam time. You could only be downwind from him for only so long.

Old August 6th, 2007, 9:37 am
Banned

Either way, a major continuity error has been committed between CoS and PoA...

Old August 6th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Second Year

Hogwarts seemed to change between films two and three-they didn't have the bridge in films two or one.

There semed to be more staricases in the fifth film than ever before.

Hermione's hair suddenly stops being bushy in the third film.

Old August 6th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Juice View Post
What inconsistencies have you noticed between the various movies that just annoy you? I blame the fact that they have multiple directors working who don't seem to care so much about details of previous films.

Some of mine are...

In the third film they showed the Fat Lady portrait was on the moving stairway, but in the previous two films it was down a corridor. I should think on the stairway would make it too obvious to the other houses where the Gryffindor entrance was when the books make it clear that students generally don't know where the other houses entrances are.

In the fourth film, Sirius's face appeared in the ashes. In the fifth film, his face appeared more ghostly in the flames. I think the way it was done in the fifth movie was more like the books, but since they did it differently in the fourth, I think they should have stuck with how they started it in the films for consistency purposes.
I hadn't noticed the portrait one, but I noticed the fire one, that bugged me too.

Also, in GoF, Karkaroff is seen sneaking into the Great Hall and closing the doors behind him in a way that makes him out to look as though he is doing wrong, but nothing develops from that, there is nothing later on in the film that has anything to do with that particular bit.

Old August 6th, 2007, 7:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ressurected View Post

Also, in GoF, Karkaroff is seen sneaking into the Great Hall and closing the doors behind him in a way that makes him out to look as though he is doing wrong, but nothing develops from that, there is nothing later on in the film that has anything to do with that particular bit.
They were just trying to throw in a red herring, but regardless, GoF is one of the worst edited films Iíve ever seen.

Old August 7th, 2007, 12:20 am
Banned

Worse-edited than PoA?

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:13 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Worse-edited than PoA?
POA was badly edited? It had a tight script, but I thought the film was edited very well. No massive plot holes and unneccesary scenes, smooth transitions, fast yet relaxed pace. I thought OOTP was poorly edited. Pointless scenes, jarring transitions and very clumsily edited dialogue. GOF was somewhere in between, and I'm not sure PS/COS were even edited at all, such was there languid pace and flabby plot.

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:33 am
Banned

Pointless? What was pointless about OotP?

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:53 am
First Year

Quote:
And something else Iíve always wondered: in PoA, who is that chubby black boy in Gryffindor supposed to be?
Dean Thomas, I think.

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:58 am
Fifth Year

First let me say that it took a second watching of PoA to figure out that the inconsistency is because they filmed it at a different location. I was totally confused. (At that point I hadn't read the books either).

Now, that is an inconsistency, but with good reason and personally I like the new location better. The other one is too HAPPY and reminds me too much of how "childish" the first films are. Not that I hate them or anything, but I can see the difference. There's a lot of oooh and aahhh in the first 2. I like the later films better (somewhat; see below).

Quote:
I agree with Flitwick, that change was extremely annoying. And I prefer how he looked in the first two films as he's supposed to be old. He looks too young in the others. And why does he lead the choir? Is he even still Flitwick?
I don't think that guy is Flitwick (same actor though!). I mean, in OoTp he's not teaching Charms or being audited by Umbridge in reference to Charms - he's the school band conductor! What the heck!? I'm not sure why there is the change at all. But it is a little annoying.

Quote:
In the third film they showed the Fat Lady portrait was on the moving stairway, but in the previous two films it was down a corridor. I should think on the stairway would make it too obvious to the other houses where the Gryffindor entrance was when the books make it clear that students generally don't know where the other houses entrances are.

In the fourth film, Sirius's face appeared in the ashes. In the fifth film, his face appeared more ghostly in the flames. I think the way it was done in the fifth movie was more like the books, but since they did it differently in the fourth, I think they should have stuck with how they started it in the films for consistency purposes.
As to the Portrait - yeah that's really annoying. I thought the purpose of it was to hide the location and not just have passwords.

I'll disagree on Sirius in the fire - I liked OoTP better than GoF. But since I don't think there are too many others instances of talking in the fire, I don't think we'll have to worry about that inconsistency anymore!

Quote:
While not an inconsistency, it was one of the reasons that GoF is my LEAST favorite of the films. It was all because they CHANGED the plot instead of ADAPTING the plot. They dumbed it down (Crouch Jr.s' tongue - ooohhhh that really chaps my hide!) and paid for it - it ruined what was one of my favorite books of the series.

Quote:
Dumbledore is kindly in PS, kindlier in CoS, patronizing and aloof in PoA, loud and prone to frenzied mood swings in GoF, and thoughtful yet tortured in OotP; wonder what HBP will bring?
Dumbledore was like a crackpot in PoA with those stupid lines they gave him when they were changing scenes. What was that all about? And GoF, don't even get me started! But he was much better in OoTP, more consistently like Dumbledore in the books.

Quote:
And if we're going to talk about Harry's hair, I must say I liked his hair in the fourth film the best and his hair in the fifth film the least. Here's hoping he grows his hair back out for the next film because the really short haircut makes him look too mugglish, imho.
I liked his hair best in PoA - it had somewhat of a style, but it had the messy look from the books. I didn't like it in OoTP - it wasn't messy enough. I think they were trying to make him look more mature, but I don't think it worked. Especially because I remember Mrs. Weasley in the book asking Harry if his hair ever stayed neat (or something like that). And in the movie, it was like plastered to his head!

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression. A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement -- this is the sum of good government. ---Thomas Jefferson

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_33 View Post
Dean Thomas, I think.
No, Dean is played by the same actor in this movie as in the rest.

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:13 am
First Year

Quote:
No, Dean is played by the same actor in this movie as in the rest.
Probably just some filler character then.

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:26 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_33 View Post
Probably just some filler character then.
Yeah, heís just filler, but I donít get why he got 2 whole lines when most of the real characters donít get any, I guess its kind of like Nigel.

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:34 am
First Year

Sirius' animagus form in OOTP looks very little like his animagus form in POA. In POA is was completely CGI while in OOTP they used a real dog. They could've at least used one with ears that stuck up.

And also the dementors have a different design in OOTP. In POA, they looked as though they had big, flowing cloaks. In OOTP, they look more like skeletons with trash bags thrown over them.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies