Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Best Dumbledore v.3

View Poll Results: Who is the best Albus Dumbledore for you?
Richard Harris 81 40.50%
Michael Gambon 53 26.50%
Neither of them. I imagine someone else. 13 6.50%
I like them both 53 26.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

The Best Dumbledore v.3

The HBP movie has been released. Michael Gambon has received postive reviews for this movie. While before HBP the majority seemed to prefer Richard Harris.

Who is your favourite?

Last post of version 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe
Given the release of HBP, I wonder now how many people would have changed their minds on the choices.
Please be respectful of opinions that are different of yours. If you have an issue with the opinion of another member report it, but do not start an argument.

Last edited by Hes; July 26th, 2009 at 11:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: The Best Dumbledore v.3

This seems a little unfair on Richard Harris, really, seeing that he's deceased.

I liked his Dumbledore but I voted for Gambon.

I found the cave scene in HBP really moving.

Old July 26th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I love both, but I voted for Gambon. From movies 3-5 I didn't really like him though. Then I saw HBP and he became my all time favorite. He was amazing.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Winning Teamster

It's difficult to tell what Richard Harris would have made of Dumbledore, since the character underwent some pretty crucial changes during the books. I think that Harris' Dumbledore, as we got to know him, doe sshow few hints at the rather manipulative (albeit benevolent) character we see in the last two books or so - b ut then, he couldn't really play that, since the books were not yet out at the time!

I had to give Gambon my vote, though, sicne I find later Dumbledore a lot more interesting, and I have thought for a while that he portrays that very well.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:09 pm
First Year

Before this movie, I never liked either of them. I thought they were both wrong for the part. But after seeing HBP, I think that Gambon really got his act together, his Dumbledore was almost perfect to me. But because I only liked him in this film, I'd have to go with "Neither."

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:11 am
Third Year

It'll be interesting to see how this poll turns out with HBP out now, since Michael Gambon has been praised for his performance this time around in many circles.

Anyways, I've preferred Gambon's Dumbledore since he came on. His acting in HBP sealed the deal for me, and I'm excited to see what he will do in his (limited) screen time in DH 1 and 2.

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:24 am
Third Year

I love the twinkle in Richard's eye. That's the Dumbledore I always imagined him to be.

However, I must agree that I can not imagine Richard in the cave scene and finding Horcruxes. Gambon suits that part perfectly.

For me, it's both. I have no preference.

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:50 am
Seventh Year

I haven't posted on this thread since the first version and my opinion hasn't really changed in light of Half-Blood Prince; I still prefer Richard Harris. It does almost (but not quite) seem unfair to compare because in those first two films we - along with Harry - had a much narrower vision of Dumbledore as a character, basically just the wise old master wizard. Gambon has had the chance to show more dimensions and explore more of his sense of humor and somewhat secretive, manipulative qualities. But that's just the nature of the story, and Harris simply is much more the Dumbledore I imagined.

Old July 27th, 2009, 4:18 am
First Year

I think Harris was a great Dumbledore - but since he has passed, I also don't find it very fair to say who was "better." Clearly he was chosen for his superior Dumbledore skills, but if I had to choose a close second, Gambon would have done well.

As much as I loved Harris' Dumbledore, Gambon has at least done the role justice - HBP in particular, I feel like he did a fabulous job of doing the more dramatic scenes, the cave scene in particular. There were a few things missing here or there, such as the "twinkle" that Harris had downpat, but I have no overall complaints. He still did a phenomenal job.

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:09 am
Sixth Year

I can't pick which one; it's hard to say which one because they both brought something different and unique to the movies.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old July 27th, 2009, 5:53 am
Second Year

Even though Gambon's portrayel was phenomenal in HBP, I still gave Harris the vote. He was the Dumbledore I always imagined in the books.

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:56 am
Banned

Gambon.

Old July 27th, 2009, 7:47 am
Second Year

Richard Harris' performance made me feel like Dumbledore walked out from the book on to the screen. He was perfect. My vote goes to him.

I must also say here that inspite of not liking Gambon's performances in the earlier films (espeically GoF) I found him excellent in HBP. This movie had Dumbledore playing a more pivotal role in this movie compared to the others and I think he did a splendid job.

Old July 27th, 2009, 8:38 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Probably depends. Even though it was out of character, I still loved how Gambon portrayed Dumbledore in GoF when he charged after Harry. "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET!" I've come up with scenarios for that one. A quick slap after charging, shaking Harry, you know, stuff like that... Yes, I know...I have a strange sense of humor (and that side of me I can't let show here on this board ) and tend to like physical comedy and that scene to this day still makes me .

Anyway, I felt that Richard Harris portrayed Dumbledore better. He was calm, cool, and collected...just like in the books. Gambon seems to portray Dumbledore as exasperated and high-strung.

Old July 27th, 2009, 8:52 am
Sixth Year

I like Gambon a lot better. I really could not see Harris doing the Cave scene in HBP, or the DoM Battle in OotP. But he wasn't bad.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 27th, 2009, 9:03 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Probably depends. Even though it was out of character, I still loved how Gambon portrayed Dumbledore in GoF when he charged after Harry. "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET!" I've come up with scenarios for that one. A quick slap after charging, shaking Harry, you know, stuff like that... Yes, I know...I have a strange sense of humor (and that side of me I can't let show here on this board ) and tend to like physical comedy and that scene to this day still makes me .
I get your point. Everytime I see this scene in GoF I catch the eye of the person with whom I'm watching and both of us end up laughing.

But, yes, I also follow that by saying that is SO not Dumbledore.

Last edited by Googlie; July 27th, 2009 at 9:20 am.
Old July 27th, 2009, 9:14 am
First Year

Harris all the way. Why ?

He didn't bark at people at random ("don't you have studying to do ?"/DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET?!?"), didn't mutter the lines in a monotonous way 99% of the time and didn't look scared (minisiter, I beg your to use your wisdom...the evidence for the dark lord's return is overwhelming) or clueless (beyond anything I ever imagined/horcruxes are ordinary object) or interrogate Harry about his love life.

Gambon has had his moments, such as "But you know happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light" or "in our dreams, we enter a world of our own" in POA and the cave scene in HBP. He had the chance to present a more quirky, eccentric DD that he started out with in POA which would be a nice contrast to Harris' wise old "I-know-more-than-you-think" wizard portrayal, and would even be close to source material...

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:44 am
Third Year

Gambon is definitely my favorite of the two, I did however really like Harris and the first 2 but as each movie went on with Gambon I started liking him more and more and then his performance in HBP sealed it for me, especially with the cave scene and his great comic relief...FINALLY

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
I get your point. Everytime I see this scene in GoF I catch the eye of the person with whom I'm watching and both of us end up laughing.

But, yes, I also follow that by saying that is SO not Dumbledore.
Glad I'm not the only one. I just wanted him to shake him after slamming him, after each syllable, while screaming, 'DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME INTO THE GOBLET!!" And then Harry would be too dizzy to answer or something.

Old July 27th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I liked them both.

Harris for the sense of wisdom that he brought to the part. He truly embodied the Dumbledore of the earlier books.

I like Gambon for the energy that he brought to the role, even if he did go a little overboard at times. I think that he gave a marvellous performance in HBP. I look forward to seeing King's Cross in DH.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies