Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Best Dumbledore v.3

View Poll Results: Who is the best Albus Dumbledore for you?
Richard Harris 81 40.50%
Michael Gambon 53 26.50%
Neither of them. I imagine someone else. 13 6.50%
I like them both 53 26.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 7th, 2010, 7:41 pm
First Year

Re: The Best Dumbledore v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
Well, it wasn't Gambon's job to portray emotion in the death scene; he just had to lay there and be dead.
I mean the parts leading up to it. It didn't have such a huge impact on me as it did in the book, I think partly because I've never really been drawn in by his interpretation of Dumbledore.

"I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books.

But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

J.K. Rowling

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Sixth Year

Harris, Harris!
Although I've started to quite like Gambon (I hated him after PoA, because of these horrible robes he wore... ;p )

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:12 pm
Banned

I like both. Gambon doesn't decide what robes he wears, so we can't blame him for that.

Harris' Dumbledore always felt warm and kind. He gave out a vibe of power, yet he always looked so weak. He was the stereotypical image of an old, great wizard. His image didn't really fit with the book Dumbledore, though. Book Dumbledore was whimsical, humerous, enegetic and generally cheerful. With Harris, we get one side of Book Dumbledore's personality, which would be the powerful headmaster and the twinkling blue eyes. Harris didn't really have an opportunity to develop the character, with him only being in two movies, under the same direction.

Gambon's Dumbledore was always 'youthful'. He portrayed Dumbledore as energetic, kind and whimsical in POA. His personality in POA fit closer to Book Dumbledore than Harris'.

Then Mike Newell came along. Under his direction, Gambon was told to act troubled and as a 'man under pressure', due to the strange things happening in the Wizarding World during GOF. He did that well.

David Yates took over from Newell. I can't really say a huge deal here, as Book Dumbledore was so distant from Harry and was not featured as much in previous books. However, what I did see was Gambon playing Dumbledore alot calmer from his previous films.

Lastly, HBP. Gambon really excelled his performance here. I saw the true, Book Dumbledore for the first time in the series. He was quick on his feet, whimsical, happy, loving, caring and easy going. That was the Dumbledore from the books.

So, to conclude, both actors did extremely well but the performance cannot be judged purely on the actor himself. Direction and script come into effect too. Due to the switch of direction through the films, the character of Dumbledore didn't have a continued personality, but each side of him was explored in each film and that is what is important. He is a complex character and it shows in the films.

Old June 14th, 2010, 4:58 pm
First Year

I liked them both.

adfoot: harrypottergurl adfoot:
Old June 14th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Second Year

I thought both performances were flawed, but Gambon was more like the Dumbledore I imagined. He was more funny and energetic. Even though Harris brought more wisdom and eye-twinkling to the role, he just seemed too weak in his voice and demeanor... So I voted for Gambon. And you have to admit the cave scene was impressive!

Edit: I just thought this was funny...even though they cut Dumbledore swimming out of the movie, I just got the image of Richard Harris in his enormous Dumbledore costume trying to take a swim. Sorry...I'm quite sleep-deprived.

Last edited by tripletkate607; June 14th, 2010 at 5:14 pm. Reason: :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 7:06 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I've grown to like Gambon as Dumbledore. His performance in HBP was fantastic. I didn't like him in GoF -- way too gruff and physical. I'm sorry they didn't allow either Harris or Gambon to play up the more whimsical side of Dumbledore ("Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak."), but, they might have made him sound more crazy than whimsical, huh?

The thing I liked most about Harris' Dumbledore was that he seemed to "grandfatherly," but, always with a hint of the powerful wizard beneath the white beard and half-moon glasses. It was like, "I know how powerful I am. I don't have to show it unless I need to."

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old June 14th, 2010, 8:39 pm
First Year

The best Dumbledore in my opinion is Richard Harris. To me he always seemed to act the part of Dumbledore better than Michael Gambon. I like Gambon, just not so much as Dumbledore. I mean in the 3rd movie he's like a hippie pretty much the whole time. Then in the 4th movie he acts like he's out of his mind, and he's some guy that wants to attack people all the time. It was a tad odd in my opinion.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
Albus Dumbledore
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Old June 14th, 2010, 9:06 pm
First Year

I am not familiar with either's other work besides Dumbledore.

I'd say that Harris was good for the movies he was in. The first two books, we saw Dumbledore as the kind, old headmaster of a school. While he was strong, we didn't see his strength in the book. We saw him as wise. Harris fit that.

Gambon was in the books where we find out more about Dumbledore, and he takes a more active route in front of Harry. We finally see his magical strength. Having only known Harris for his Dumbledore role, I can't see him doing things like escaping from the Ministry when the DA is found, fighting Voldemort in the Ministry, the Cave incident, etc.

Both were good Dumbledores for the movies they were in.

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I like both actors. Dumbledore was a complex wizard, gruff, serious, whimsical, etc. As for being rough, I have watched the first five movies again and all the characters are rough. Teachers grab students by the hand or arm, students grab each other.

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofGlory View Post
I am not familiar with either's other work besides Dumbledore.

I'd say that Harris was good for the movies he was in. The first two books, we saw Dumbledore as the kind, old headmaster of a school. While he was strong, we didn't see his strength in the book. We saw him as wise. Harris fit that.

Gambon was in the books where we find out more about Dumbledore, and he takes a more active route in front of Harry. We finally see his magical strength. Having only known Harris for his Dumbledore role, I can't see him doing things like escaping from the Ministry when the DA is found, fighting Voldemort in the Ministry, the Cave incident, etc.

Both were good Dumbledores for the movies they were in.
I agree with your judgment. I liked Harris' performance in the two films he was in, but then again the two first books were much simpler in every way, with Dumbledore seeming like a more typical archetypical wizard than what he proved to be later on. I always thought that as the series progressed Dumbledore was a character who grew much more complex than what we saw in Harris' performance. Gambon's more varied performance fits the development of the character throughout the series.

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
I thought both performances were flawed, but Gambon was more like the Dumbledore I imagined. He was more funny and energetic. Even though Harris brought more wisdom and eye-twinkling to the role, he just seemed too weak in his voice and demeanor... So I voted for Gambon. And you have to admit the cave scene was impressive!

Edit: I just thought this was funny...even though they cut Dumbledore swimming out of the movie, I just got the image of Richard Harris in his enormous Dumbledore costume trying to take a swim. Sorry...I'm quite sleep-deprived.
Agreed... especially after HBP. Both actors did a good job as him, but in the end... Gambon really has grown into the part well.

Yea that would be funny to see... and wouldn't it be almost impossible to swim in that thing ?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yea that would be funny to see... and wouldn't it be almost impossible to swim in that thing ?
Exactly! I was thinking it would all just float up over his head and he would sink.

Like the titanic.

Okay, I'm done now.

Last edited by tripletkate607; June 14th, 2010 at 11:30 pm. Reason: :p
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
Exactly! I was thinking it would all just float up over his head and he would sink.

Like the titanic.

Okay, I'm done now.
Yea and that certainly wouldn't be pretty .

What was your favorite Dumbledore moment?

For me, it would be almost anything from HBP -- he had me (Gambon) laughing almost every time he was on screen .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristen03 View Post
I love the twinkle in Richard's eye. That's the Dumbledore I always imagined him to be.
Exactly! That's my first impression of Richard and it's a good one. For me, Richard portrayed the wise, calm, and quirky side of Dumbledore. He was whimsical and funny.
But there are many sides of Dumbledore.

Gambon captured the energy that I always imagined Dumbledore having. He was often described as having the energy of a much younger man, in the books. I loved Gambon's performance in the Prisoner of Azkaban and the Half-Blood Prince. The scripts and directing gave him the opportunity to show that quirky, energetic side of Dumbledore that was lacking in GOF and OotP.

As it's been said, many of our problems with both of their portrayals are the faults of the directors and screen writers, not the actors themselves. They both did great jobs with the script and directing that was given.

If only they could have been morphed together to become the perfect Dumbledore!

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:02 am
Second Year

Quote:

For me, it would be almost anything from HBP -- he had me (Gambon) laughing almost every time he was on screen .
Yeah, I think Michael Gambon is hilarious! The knitting patterns line was great. And when he says his entire name at the hearing in OotP! I also love the first 30 seconds or so of HBP. It's sweet...

Old June 15th, 2010, 12:15 am
First Year

Quote:

I'm going to have to say the first time we see Dumbledore at the opening of the Sorcerer's Stone. "I should've known you would have been here... Professor McGonagall." His eyes are twinkling, his stare is x-raying.. It's so Dumbledore haha

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:35 am
Second Year

Harris epitomized what I pictured DD to look like, sound like and be.

I am not good with change, so at first I really did not like Gambon's DD. But he has grown on me and I think if he had been the only DD, I wouold have liked him from the beginning.

Old June 15th, 2010, 6:36 am
Banned

I do not find that I can really vote on this. Neither is better; they are each better suited to each film, given the moods. And to be honest, though I hate the idea of saying it, I think the change in actor came at the best possible movie. Both would excel in some of the films and both would be terrible in others; therefore, I cannot say I like or dislike either.

The way I see it, the 1st and 2nd are much like their books: child-centered, forming a "world of wonder," where Dumbledore is like a mythical, eternally nice, safety-granting, peace-loving grandpa sort of man. Richard Harris' deeply compassionate, earwax-munching Dumbledore is what was needed for these films. Starting with the 3rd, the story begins to take on a more pseudorealistic tone with dark environments that necessitate a stronger Dumbledore, one who gets angry and who unleashes the Fury of the Seven Stars, then in the next moment has some witty bit of camp to add to the proceedings. Michael Gambon's performance fits here. I cannot picture Richard Harris' Dumbledore raging in the fight with Voldemort in OotP or threatening Barty Crouch Jr. in GoF any more than I can picture Michael Gambon's Dumbledore comforting Harry in front of the Mirror of Erised.

Old June 16th, 2010, 4:47 am
Fifth Year

Richard Harris really was Dumbledore! He had the voice, the twinkle in the eyes, the connotation, everything. Gambon didnt become Dumbledore until HBP. It took him FOREVER to really nail the role. I do love aspects of Gambon's Dumbledore though. I love some of his lines in PoA. HBP, he became Dumbledore in full. I was really pleased to see that. I voted Harris but Gambon did eventually become the wizard!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old June 16th, 2010, 4:56 am
Fourth Year

I personally really enjoy Gambon. I dont think Harris did a bad job at all, however. I just think Gambon embodies that whole goofy, weird aspect that Dumbledore has. I see him as being way more silly and strange than Harris. I feel like Harris was TOO perfectly an old wise wizard. While its true this is what Dumbledore is, he's also a bit off his rocker. I think Gambon did that well.

I do hate the part in GoF though when he yells at Harry. Its so out of character and thats clearly not how it was in the book.

COS

Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies