Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Best Dumbledore v.3

View Poll Results: Who is the best Albus Dumbledore for you?
Richard Harris 81 40.50%
Michael Gambon 53 26.50%
Neither of them. I imagine someone else. 13 6.50%
I like them both 53 26.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16th, 2010, 8:43 am
Second Year

Re: The Best Dumbledore v.3

I loved Harris as Dumbledore but I think the problem was that by the time Cos was filmed he was frail in real life.
I have just watched PoA again and pinpointed the moment I disliked Gambon. He put his hand up to the portrait of the Fat Lady and his hand and nails were disgusting more like I would imagine on Fenrir Greyback but that's just my quirk.
I hated the roughness in that GoF scene, it was a real shock but as the films have come out I've realized that Richard wouldn't have had the physical strength to portray Dumbledore.

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2010, 9:06 am
First Year

Richard Harris WAS dumbledore when the movie came out I wasn't even 9 and so I didn't have a CLEAR definition of what he would look like but I had a good general idea, and when I seen him um on the screen so calm so precise but still so wise, he just I cannot explain enough how this man perfectly represented Dumbledore, nothing against Gambon personally, but Harris was just brilliant.

Old June 18th, 2010, 5:33 am
First Year

I really preferred Harris.

Although, some of what I don't care for with Gambon's version may be the fault of the writing, not the acting.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 9:20 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan74 View Post
I agree with your judgment. I liked Harris' performance in the two films he was in, but then again the two first books were much simpler in every way, with Dumbledore seeming like a more typical archetypical wizard than what he proved to be later on. I always thought that as the series progressed Dumbledore was a character who grew much more complex than what we saw in Harris' performance. Gambon's more varied performance fits the development of the character throughout the series.
Although we are seeing Dumbledore through Harry's eyes in the first 2 books. So the initial characterization was correct. If Richard Harris had not become ill, I have no doubt that his portrayal would have become more complex as the story progressed.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 22nd, 2010, 2:19 pm
First Year

When I first saw Gambon as Dumbledore, I was very dissapointed. Harris had a sort of internal magic that he seemed to exude in his performance. Like alot of you already said, he had that classic old wizard feel , and the twinkle in his eye. Gambon seemed almost cold in comparison (and I'll never quite get over his beard scrunchie)
But as I watched the movies get darker and more complex, I knew that Dumbledore would as well. Gambon did an awesome job during the dramatic scenes (HPB) and still managed to act a little nuts. He had an anger in him, a passion when talking to Harry about defeating Voldemort. I question whether Harris could have pulled that off with his soft spoken voice (although more Dumbledore like) and his jovial demeanor. Was he just acting the part like he was supposed to (since the first two movies are a bit more Disney-ish?) Would he be able to step up his game in the later ones? I guess we'll never know...

Old June 25th, 2010, 5:25 pm
First Year

I agree with The Scarecrow and Jonny7003. I think Richard Harris's rendition was what was necessary at the time. When Harry is first getting to know Dumbledore, that's how he sees him: the old, wise, quiet, large but gentle presence man.

But by the time POA came along, even though it is very sad that Harris died, the time for a new portrayal had come. Richard would not have been able to pull off Dumbledore's comically allusive and interestingly unique presence and demeanor that was shown in POA. Jo's Dumbledore had changed by know. He was much more active and verbal. Unfortunately, by the end of COS it seemed that Richard was always out of breath and raspy.

And I, for one, LOVED Gambon's performance in both POA and GOF. Even though, GOF could be seen as sort of the train wreck of the series, and a lot of people though Gambon's Dumbledore was out of place here, I loved it. It seemed so genius to me. In POA, Dumbledore's role is like a half-plot device. He's very quizzical and alluding and like always, yet more than ever: peculiar and eccentric. Gambon's way of being this way was absolutely perfect. And also, I LOVED his robes in this film. And his hats and his hair. Loved, loved, loved, loved.

In GOF, like either The Scarecrow or Jonny7003 brought up, I can't remember, by this time, Dumbledore is under a lot of pressure. He is frustrated and again, Gambon performs that like no other.

Gambon's energy was what made Dumbledore likable to me, I could relate or exactly become connected with Harris's Dumbledore because he seemed so feeble and the Dumbledore I always imagined was physically very old but you would never guess it by the way he moved with grace and quickness. Like the way he ran up the stairs to the Fat Lady's portrait or just in general the way he glided around was just amazing to see.

Old August 7th, 2010, 7:40 am
First Year

I liked Richard Harris so much more. He was much more Dumbledore-y than Michael (in my opinion). I think that Richard captured Dumbledore's character more than Michael. Example: Dumbledore is supposed to be calm, and in HP and the Goblet of Fire (there were other moments too, but this is the one that sticks out the most) he was like "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE?!?!?!" As he practically strangles Harry. I mean jeeze man take a chill pill.

So the final frame ever shot of all three actors together takes place in a cramped little room.
"In a way," says Yates, "the series started with a cupboard and ended with one."

Last edited by marauderslovr; August 7th, 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old August 7th, 2010, 9:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderslovr View Post
I liked Richard Harris so much more. He was much more Dumbledore-y than Michael (in my opinion). I think that Richard captured Dumbledore's character more than Michael. Example: Dumbledore is supposed to be calm, and in HP and the Goblet of Fire (there were other moments too, but this is the one that sticks out the most) he was like "DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE?!?!?!" As he practically strangles Harry. I mean jeeze man take a chill pill.
i would have agreed with you 13 months ago but after wathcing HBP million times, i think Michael Gambon was perfect as Dumbledore

Old August 7th, 2010, 9:57 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo123 View Post
i would have agreed with you 13 months ago but after wathcing HBP million times, i think Michael Gambon was perfect as Dumbledore
I see your point but perfect? a bit exaggerated IMO Richard Harris' death came as a shock to every one and they couldn't find a replacement fast enough, and Gambon fit in well but he prob didn't read all the books. So his Dumbledore style was off a bit

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
I see your point but perfect? a bit exaggerated IMO Richard Harris' death came as a shock to every one and they couldn't find a replacement fast enough, and Gambon fit in well but he prob didn't read all the books. So his Dumbledore style was off a bit
okay maybe "perfect" is a bit too much but still i thought he was really good. also gambon hasnt read any of the books lol.

Old August 7th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
okay maybe "perfect" is a bit too much but still i thought he was really good. also gambon hasnt read any of the books lol.
Hahaha really?!?! I knew it at least he came out about it, he should've he might have made such a great Dumbledore. he might do a better job in the Kings cross cause he had to have read that book at least. I mea cmon lol

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old August 7th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Sixth Year

IMO Gambon got better as Dumbledore as the series progressed. I wanted Ian McKellen to play the part of Dumbledore. His performance as Gandalf blew me away and I think he'd have made a great Dumbledore.

Old August 7th, 2010, 4:38 pm
First Year

In the HBP I think Gambon was amazing. Escpecially during the Horcrux scene in the cave.

Old August 12th, 2010, 1:57 pm
First Year

I know people love Harris and I like him but I (and apparently am in the minority in doing so) love Gambon in the role. I often hear the discussions on MuggleCast about him and I do agree he was a bit over the top in GoF (DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE!?) but otherwise he's Dumbledore to a T for me. He has a strength to him that I just didn't see in Harris - I couldn't imagine him doing any of the later Dumbledore stuff - the fight at the end of OOTP or the amazing ring of fire in HBP.

Old August 12th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Fourth Year

I loved Richard Harris in SS. He was the best Dumbledore for sure--exactly as I imagined! When I heard he was dead, I actually cried. But then, my actual grandfather had died, too, so it was kind of a salt-on-an-open-wound thing.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old August 13th, 2010, 5:17 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajane View Post
I know people love Harris and I like him but I (and apparently am in the minority in doing so) love Gambon in the role. I often hear the discussions on MuggleCast about him and I do agree he was a bit over the top in GoF (DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE!?) but otherwise he's Dumbledore to a T for me. He has a strength to him that I just didn't see in Harris - I couldn't imagine him doing any of the later Dumbledore stuff - the fight at the end of OOTP or the amazing ring of fire in HBP.
Actually, I agree he was pretty good in OotP. But during the duel with Voldemort, he moves a bit like an old man, not physically strong (and he is consideraby younger than Richard Harris was in the first 2 movies). He did a fair job in HBP, except he came very close to playing it over the top in the cave scene....right on the edge. Had Richard Harris been well and around, it's my opinion that he would have been a book-perfect Dumbledore.

Old August 13th, 2010, 6:28 am
Fifth Year

Did Gambon finally read the books? I assumed that he finally did when doing HBP because...well...he finally nailed the character to a T! It took him a while though. He was pretty great in OotP though. The Ministry fight scene comes to mind. "It was foolish for you to come here tonight, Tom. The Aurors are on their way." The way he says that is very Dumbledore. It was like he was saying there wasnt going to be tacos on monday's menu. In HBP, we got a pretty damn accurate Dumbledore! He was nearly everything i imagined in that movie. (Too bad we didnt see the scene in the Weasley's broomshed! I loved that part in the book!)

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old August 18th, 2010, 5:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
I thought he had read the books and he was just joking around - he's known for lying in interviews.
Anyway, I really like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. He's an amazing actor - I loved the cave scene in the sixth film and his speech about Cedric at the end of the fourth film was very powerful and moving. I'll admit he seemed a bit rough in the fourth and fifth films like when he said "Don't you all have some studying to do?" but I guess that was just to show how worried Dumbledore was about the things that were happening.
Not that Richard Harris wasn't good of course - I think he was perfect in the first two movies, but I really can't imagine him doing some of the things in the later movies like the duel against Voldemort.

Old August 19th, 2010, 6:16 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjan View Post
Not that Richard Harris wasn't good of course - I think he was perfect in the first two movies, but I really can't imagine him doing some of the things in the later movies like the duel against Voldemort.
The duel against Voldemort didn't require a huge amount of physical stamina, most of it was CG effects. While I think Mr. Gambon did OK in OotP, he didn't look particularly physically strong/nimble to me. So I don't see why you would think Mr. Harris wouldn't have been able to handle that scene.

Old August 19th, 2010, 8:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
The duel against Voldemort didn't require a huge amount of physical stamina, most of it was CG effects. While I think Mr. Gambon did OK in OotP, he didn't look particularly physically strong/nimble to me. So I don't see why you would think Mr. Harris wouldn't have been able to handle that scene.
I did LOVE Harris' Dumblerdore - physically he was exactly as I imagined and he played the character very believably. What I didn't realize was missing was a little bit of fire in the heart of the character. I feel like Gambon brings that to the character - something like the fight between DD and Voldy would be something he would do well though I see him as a more flawed, human DD... not exactly how I imagined him.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies