Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The Best Dumbledore v.3

View Poll Results: Who is the best Albus Dumbledore for you?
Richard Harris 81 40.50%
Michael Gambon 53 26.50%
Neither of them. I imagine someone else. 13 6.50%
I like them both 53 26.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 29th, 2010, 2:46 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The Best Dumbledore v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Well...Dumbledore is a little scary, so Gambon nailed it.
I agree Mr. Gambon's portrayal is scary.

More is missing though. Where is twinkling-of-the-eye Dumbledore, or in-control Dumbledore, a step-ahead-of-everyone-else Dumbledore, protect the students at all costs Dumbledore who makes everyone feel everything's going to be OK?

Granted Mr. Gambon might not be responsible for the following, but also...where are his glasses? And his magnificent wardrobe?

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2011, 2:02 am
First Year

I voted for both. I loved Richard Harris for how much he felt like the Dumbledore of the books, but I have a hard time imagining him fighting Voldemort in OOTP, or pulling off the cave scene in HBP. And I really do like Michael Gambon's quirkiness in the role... To me, Richard was gentle while Michael was odd and a bit fiery, and all of those are essential traits for Dumbledore to have.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 2:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
I get your point. Everytime I see this scene in GoF I catch the eye of the person with whom I'm watching and both of us end up laughing.

But, yes, I also follow that by saying that is SO not Dumbledore.
I do the exact same thing...usually i

Old February 22nd, 2011, 4:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMark771 View Post
I voted for both. I loved Richard Harris for how much he felt like the Dumbledore of the books, but I have a hard time imagining him fighting Voldemort in OOTP, or pulling off the cave scene in HBP. And I really do like Michael Gambon's quirkiness in the role... To me, Richard was gentle while Michael was odd and a bit fiery, and all of those are essential traits for Dumbledore to have.
This is how I'd put it too. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and bring something different to the character. I definitely prefer Richard Harris because he embodied the wise old wizard with the twinkle in his eye and a youthful spirit. (Even his costume was better!) Michael Gambon though actually portrays the youthful, energetic, and powerful sides of Dumbledore, which I cannot see in Harris. (As you point out, I cannot see Harris dueling Voldemort or in the cave scene.) I just don't like Gambon's appearance though. It's too laid back with his small, tied beard and more casual robe. (And can we clean up his fingernails? He may be old but I'm sure that's not stopping him from good hygiene habits.)

Hufflepuff Pride
Old February 22nd, 2011, 4:24 pm
Second Year

richard harris was always my idea of how dumbledore would look and sound.
i miss him.

i've never really liked Gambon's depiction of dumbledore. i liked how youthful he made dumbledore to be, but the irish accent didn't do it for me at all.

not that i'm predjudiced towards the irish, but dumbledore was never written that way. and it took some of the magic away when i watched it as a kid by having an english accent in the first two films to an irish accent in the future films.

Until the very end.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
This is how I'd put it too. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and bring something different to the character. I definitely prefer Richard Harris because he embodied the wise old wizard with the twinkle in his eye and a youthful spirit. (Even his costume was better!) Michael Gambon though actually portrays the youthful, energetic, and powerful sides of Dumbledore, which I cannot see in Harris. (As you point out, I cannot see Harris dueling Voldemort or in the cave scene.) I just don't like Gambon's appearance though. It's too laid back with his small, tied beard and more casual robe. (And can we clean up his fingernails? He may be old but I'm sure that's not stopping him from good hygiene habits.)
I agree with all of this, I think a mix of the two actors would have been perfect, each of them brings something totally different which together would have worked quite well!

I voted for the 3rd option on the poll, only because I prefer the "in my head" Dumbledore to either of the film portrayals, I just see film Dumbledore as a different character entirely. I liked what each actor had to bring though, they were good performances. I think my favourite is Gambon's portrayal in PoA because he has some of the quirkyness, in Hagrid's Hut and at the speech at the beginning, and the line about dreams in the Great Hall. But that seemed to disappear in the later films, sadly

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 5:49 am
First Year

I know Harris was good and Gambon is good too, but can you imagine Harris in that cave scene in HBP think about it or him fighting Voldemort in OotP really think about it Gambon really has the strength to do it and if Harris was still alive he wouldn't have the strength. I voted both but if i had to choose one it would be Gambon

The Next Dark Lord
Wizarding World of Harry Potter 4-12-11
I drink a lot of Diet Coke and belch."- Helena Bonham Carter
MUDBLOOD
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:06 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I think my favourite is Gambon's portrayal in PoA because he has some of the quirkyness, in Hagrid's Hut and at the speech at the beginning, and the line about dreams in the Great Hall. But that seemed to disappear in the later films, sadly
Completely agree.

Richard Harris looked more like the Dumbledore I imagined, and he had the calm and wise aspect of the character spot on, but, as others have said, I just couldn't imagine him doing the action scenes like the fight at the Ministry, or the cave. I could actually see Michael Gambon when I was reading HBP because Dumbledore sort of loses his 'God-like' quality in that book because it's where we start to see him, instead of the idealised headteacher, and Gambon suits that version more than the idealised one. I think Harris suited the first two films because his portrayal went with the childish, magical quality of those films but I don't know whether he'd have been as good in the later films where they become darker. Admittedly I haven't watched anything else he was in so that's based solely off PS and CoS.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old February 26th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Second Year

I voted for Gambon. As much as Harris was a good Dumbledore, Gambon did a good twist on the character. He made him much more emotional and powerful too.

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
Old February 26th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby138 View Post
I voted for Gambon. As much as Harris was a good Dumbledore, Gambon did a good twist on the character. He made him much more emotional and powerful too.
I voted for Harris, for the same reasons you voted for Gambon

I think Gambon put too much emotion -- or in my view, lack of control -- into Dumbledore's character. Dumbledore was a master at not reacting emotionally, without thinking or considering everything carefully. In my view, Gambon took all of the wisdom Dumbledore had gained over his lifetime and tossed most of it out of the window. I think with Gambon that the playful side of Dumbledore disappeared as well.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old February 26th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Second Year

I liked Richard Harris better.

Lightnox167
12 inches, Hawthorn, Unicorn Hair core, unyielding

Old May 18th, 2011, 9:58 pm
First Year

Michael Gambon was not true to Dumbledores character in GOF at all. He was ok in POA and OOTP. But i think he did excellent in HBP and had one of the best performances in that movie. Richard Harris was true to the character of Dumbledore but never seemed to give off any vibes of Dumbledores quirkiness or powerfulness - well for me anyway! I couldn't imagine Harris acting as Dumbledore later in the series. He seemed to frail and santa claus like to take on the role of Dumbledore fighting off inferi and battling voldemort in the ministry of magic. I prefer Gambon even although his performance was very poor in GOF

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
I agree with all of this, I think a mix of the two actors would have been perfect, each of them brings something totally different which together would have worked quite well!
A mix of the two actors would have been great, . I think Harris fitted Dumbledore's looks better, but I liked Gambon's performance much better - perhaps with the exception of GoF; the temper and the shouting were so unlike Dumbledore's character .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old May 20th, 2011, 8:57 am
Second Year

I liked them both. When I read the books, I usually imagine Richard Harris in the normal scenes, but I got used to Michael Gambon now.

Michael Gambon portrays Dumbledore very well. The only scene that was really off, was the one in the Goblet of Fire, when he didn't ask Harry calmly.
I can't really imagine Richard Harris when I'm reading Half-blood Prince.

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies