Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Excluded and underused favourite characters in the movies

Old October 25th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Excluded and underused favourite characters in the movies

True! I wish they could have some more scenes together, like that one in the book after Dumbledore's death where Charlie's bitten from the werewolf.

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:26 pm
First Year

Dobby. I am concerned that they won't even show his death in the DH movie and will find a way to cut him out. They seemed to cut him out in a lot of the other movies.

The epic conclusion of the motion picture event of the millennium...
Proud Gryffindor
Old November 24th, 2009, 8:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Luna View Post
Dobby. I am concerned that they won't even show his death in the DH movie and will find a way to cut him out. They seemed to cut him out in a lot of the other movies.
Dobby's funeral has been filmed, but of course that doesn't mean it will make the final cut!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old November 25th, 2009, 2:26 am
Sixth Year

I say Tonks and Dobby.
Yates, Heyman, AND Cloves all knew their fates in Deathly Hallows, and that they play pretty important roles. It would not have been hard at all to work them in more (or at all in the case of Dobby). It would not have hurt to have Tonks find Harry on the train, and instead of random aurors patrolling the school, it could have been her.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old November 25th, 2009, 2:54 am
Third Year

i feel like for dobby their just using it as a way to make money like towards the end they'll sell a directors cut or something like that with dobby and peeves

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old November 25th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Second Year

An interesting point, but I would like a different angle to my answer. I cannot really think of a favourite character which has been underused, but I think there are characters which are important to the series as a whole which haven't been used much in later movies.

I think they could have used House Elves more, but I actually find that Kreacher is more underused than Dobby. I'm quite sure they will show Dobby early on in DH to build some sympathy for him, so his death will make more of an impact.

Of the Weasley family Percy is the underused character who's the most vital, given that he makes different choices than his brothers and is estranged from the family.
Bill can easily play his part in DH with a couple of scenes and wasn't important from the start, so I'm not so worried about him.

I like Neville very much and am quite confident that he will be given the attention he deserves in DH. In HBP you really have the choice between giving Malfoy the marvellous storyline he got or giving the attention to some or several other characters, so I don't mind Neville not being shown much there.

I like Tonks, but I've never seen her as a character who's truly essential, more like a character who's always there, fighting for the order, sticking up for Harry. She wil be in DH, of course, but I've got a feeling that more attention will be given to Lupin, who's more developed and shown as a character throughout the other movies and has a greater role in the book.

Old November 25th, 2009, 5:08 pm
First Year

DOBBY! It annoys me in the movies because it seems like whatever he does, they have Neville do. In GOF Dobby is supposed to tell Harry about the gillyweed, not Neville. And in OotP Dobby is supposed to show Harry the RoR, not Neville.

I am a proud Gryffinpuff!

Ron Weasley, Fred Weasley, Sirus Black, Severus Snape, and Cedric Diggory are the best characters EVER!

AVPM and PPPs are amazing!
Old November 28th, 2009, 9:14 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronweasleysgrl View Post
DOBBY! It annoys me in the movies because it seems like whatever he does, they have Neville do. In GOF Dobby is supposed to tell Harry about the gillyweed, not Neville. And in OotP Dobby is supposed to show Harry the RoR, not Neville.
Seconds that which makes Harry being upset at his death in movie 7 if it is there a bit unbelievable why be upset about someone dying who you have seen only twice in your whole life.In the books you understand his sadness cause Dobby was there whenever i was important.To make Neville do these things is overusing Neville.In fact these changes made me not caring about the other movies at all anymore.I know i am a minority but they should have kept the first Director to do the other movies too he understood what to do with the books.

Last edited by Nandi; November 28th, 2009 at 9:19 am.
Old November 28th, 2009, 7:33 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Oddly, I'd say Voldemort is rather underused.

In the last movie, they cut so much out about his past that they've reduced him to a camp generic villain.

His backstory adds depth. Without it, it leaves the movie series lacking, since it has neither a strong villain, or a strong hero, since Harry is for the most part, dull and bland.

Old November 28th, 2009, 10:11 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
I agree with most everything you said, especially the fat kid having more lines than a lot of other characters ACTUALLY IN THE BOOK.

With Ginny I feel there couldn't have been much more development between her and harry. In OoTP they did show ginny anxious and unsettled like a couple times when they were talking/seeing cho in front of her. IE on the bridge when they were deciding where to do the DA, and in the RoR when they are all leaving for xmas break she looks back jealously. They did it well in that movie and in this movie with harry ginny relationship, I was happy with that.

Charlie and Bill need to be in the movies already.
I would go with Ginny too. Starting with PoA, they should have included her being affected by the dementors. GOF they should have included the part where she finds out she could have went with Harry to the Yule Ball, and in OOtP, they should have included her yelling at Harry about her knowing how it would feel being possessed about Voldermont.

Old November 29th, 2009, 12:33 am
Fifth Year

Ginny, Ron, and Snape get my vote.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old November 29th, 2009, 1:27 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Dobby's funeral has been filmed, but of course that doesn't mean it will make the final cut!
I would die if they left out Dobby's funeral! I can't imagine what most fans would think of that!

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old November 29th, 2009, 2:11 am
First Year

Luna! I know she's not that prevalent in the DH boook, but I'll be dissappointed if she's not in the wedding and Battle of Hogwarts scenes.

Man's greatest treasure.
Old December 6th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Third Year

Lupin. Though that annoyed me about the books, too. Harry was all over Lupin till Sirius showed up, even though Lupin was just as close with James as Sirius (okay, not JUST as close, but still pretty close). Both could be considered uncles, yet Lupin became that guy that came over every now and then. And after POA gets about 2 minutes of screen time per movie (if that).

Last edited by Praetorian; December 6th, 2009 at 9:51 pm.
Old December 7th, 2009, 1:17 am
Second Year

Lupin is criminally underused, as he is my favourite character I naturally feel he should get more screen time, and he is the reason why PoA is my second favourite of the movies.

Of course Dobby is used badly, apparently Neville serves just as good a function as a house elf and is therefore the "bumbling helper" who takes all of Dobby's glory in the films.

Ron just seems to eat a lot? Or is that just me.

Old December 7th, 2009, 2:26 am
First Year

I'll be vague and say everybody except Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, and Voldemort.

But specifically, I'll agree with those that said Lupin was underused, and I love his character.

Old December 7th, 2009, 6:40 am
Second Year

Dobby, definitely.

Dobby is one of my favourite characters.
Seeing him in almost every single movie would have been great.

Though I'm excited he's meant to be getting more screen time in Deathly Hallows. I think he deserves it, even if he's a CGI character, haha.

You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.
Not as good as you.
Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry, just be careful.

Sorted
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:10 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsforall View Post
Ron just seems to eat a lot? Or is that just me.
No, it's not just you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEKuP-8jdA

I think that Ginny was underused in the movies, especially CoS. After the Flourish and Blotts scene, she basically became an extra. There were no hints that something was wrong with her. Her crush on Harry has been downplayed. There was no scene to establish that Ginny knew that Harry found the diary after she tried to get rid of it. Instead they wasted time to spread hints that Hagrid might be the heir of Slytherin, which IMO didn't work. At the end of the movie, everything is forgotten about what happened to Ginny, but Hagrid's storyline is wrapped up in this big scene when he returns from Azkaban.

Old December 15th, 2009, 5:36 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
snapes_witch: I think Kloves just likes his own dialogue better than the books. But for all the time they spent on Lavender and Won-Won, they could have inserted just a few more dramatic lines for Alan Rickman straight from the book. Kloves is afraid of strong emotions, except anger.

Zgirnius: If they don't include the Silver Doe, there will be trouble.
I'll second both of these. I don't think Kloves got any closer to the book that to see in on a shelf in a bookstore. It cracked me up to see that the movies are "Based on the books by JK Rowling." I guess that's the way they avoid having to actually follow any to the book character lines or plots. Mmmm.

If the do cut the Silver Doe or any of the really important memories of Snape and Lily, I think they should infested with wrackspurts and horklumps.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 15th, 2009, 9:34 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirestorm View Post
Dobby, definitely.

Dobby is one of my favourite characters.
Seeing him in almost every single movie would have been great.

Though I'm excited he's meant to be getting more screen time in Deathly Hallows. I think he deserves it, even if he's a CGI character, haha.
Yes he would be there more often which would make Harry's reaction to him dying more logical then it does now.To be honest i think they only included him cause they had to in the last movie see how they removed Kreacher almost completely until J.K. suddenly seemed to care what they were doing and told them not to. Sorryt i am being sarcastic but i think they changed too much from the books.I don't want to insult anyone but i just wish they had stayed a bit closer to the original source. I wish they kept the first director or that he had stayed not sure which of the two broke off the projects. After CoS it went slowly downward. We definately need someone to do this right.The books are a nice mixed of fun and excitement.The movies are just excitement and almost no fun from GoF on.I really hated OoPh. Did not even bother seeing HBP after that.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies