Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Say something positive about the Half-Blood Prince

Old April 30th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Second Year

Re: Say something positive about the Half-Blood Prince

You know, actually I didn't like the film so much. But after reading all the posts, I kind of feel that I can view the film from a new light. I think I will watch it again and see it differently. I think I will like it better this time.

Winky45

Old April 30th, 2010, 5:16 pm
First Year

The positive thing I have to say about HBP is that the trio is starting to feel love and heartbreak. Hermione loves Ron but Ron is with Lavender and it breaks her heart to see them together. Harry starts having feelings for Ginny and argues with himself about her being Ron's sister. That is ausome.

adfoot: harrypottergurl adfoot:
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:57 pm
Third Year

Ron!!! The whole movie got positive because of Ron. He is so hillarious when he has eaten all those treats(don't remember what it was:P) with love potion in them...

Old May 3rd, 2010, 4:46 pm
Fourth Year

For me, Jim Broadbents performance of Horace was fantastic . Easily the best thing about this movie. I also really liked the way that they handled the 'love triangle' between Won-Won, Lav-Lav & Hermy .

Old May 3rd, 2010, 5:46 pm
Second Year

My absolute favorite part is when Slughorn tells the story about his fish Francis. I thought it was such a beautiful story.

I really enjoyed Gambon's performance as Dd and I think Draco's character development was well done. When Bellatrix was destroying the great hall the pain and regret was obvious in Draco's face. I thought it was nice foreshadowing for the Malfoy family change in SH.

When Harry comforted Hermione was also one of my favorite scenes.

Old May 4th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFanNewbie View Post
My absolute favorite part is when Slughorn tells the story about his fish Francis. I thought it was such a beautiful story.
Yeh I agree! Even though that story wasn't part of the cannon, it completely worked on screen .

Old May 4th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by winky45 View Post
You know, actually I didn't like the film so much. But after reading all the posts, I kind of feel that I can view the film from a new light. I think I will watch it again and see it differently. I think I will like it better this time.

Winky45

I like it better the second time I watched it. I think the first time I was trying to take in so much, trying to figure out what they kept from the book and what they didn't that I actually missed a lot of it in the process.

Old May 4th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Positive things abut HPB:
  • Felton did a great job as Draco
  • Rupert did a great job as Ron
  • Lavender was funny.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old May 4th, 2010, 9:40 pm
Fifth Year

Emma Watson's acting greatly improved.

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked the whole movie. The pace was a bit slower. I liked Draco for a change. I loved Lavender, & Ron. But then he asked for Hermione. the cave was the best part! and with Dumbledore standing upright, with the ring of fire. and Harry talking about the pincers'. lol!
Until DH comes out, this is my favorite movie.

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:49 pm
First Year

i loved draco <3
and snape and bellatrix.
the harry/hermione scene was great.
i just really loved it.

its my favorite so far of the films

Old May 5th, 2010, 12:55 am
Second Year

I love this thread! MoD, I'm so so glad you feel this strongly about HBP! The whole three months after HBP's release were so bittersweet for me, with all of my excitement over the film and then so many people having such lame and hard-hearted things to say about HBP. It sort of took the wind out of my sails for a while. But it's wonderful to think on the positive side and read so many other positive things people have to say.

The Score! Nicholas Hooper far exceeded my expectations with his work in HBP. Being Harry Potter, I knew the score would be noteworthy. But, to me, it felt like Hooper hit EVERY present emotion in HBP. From mischievous suspense, anxiety, to bliss, to angst, to epic tragedy, to the pain of loss, to the moments of enlightenment and hope, he nailed it.

Cinematography. I loved the darker, more gothic feel. For me, HBP finally put "the feel" of the world of Harry Potter into perspective for me. With the other films, I always had to infuse what I knew of the magic world from the books with what I was seeing on screen. Of course that was enough, seeing as I am here now :P ...but HBP made it much more real for me.

Gambon. Pure Gold. Enough said.

Emotion. HBP was actually successful in an onscreen display of real emotion.

What an experience this has been for
us all.
Old May 5th, 2010, 3:41 am
Second Year

Voldemort.

I confess myself... disappointed.
Not one of you tried to find me..." -Lord Voldemort
Old May 5th, 2010, 7:12 am
First Year

I rather enjoyed HBP, however I believe it was the cinematography that interested me more than the actual story. Large amounts of the book was cropped out, though that was to be expected.

No, I enjoyed the visual feel the movie had. The "darkness is coming'', foreboding chill that you can see in the dim darkness of the movie's tone. I do believe HBP was a fantastic movie... an adaptation of the book? That's another story

Old May 5th, 2010, 1:34 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Wow...I loved this whole movie! I will only mention one thing right now (cause breakfast is ready)...Slughorn and his eyebrows! How expressive...they were moving all over his face!

Old May 5th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Second Year

-Draco Malfoy (damn, Tom Felton did do a really job, even more with a twist!)
-Some of the humor
-Alan Rickman (of course <3)
-just the feel of adventure looking for the Horcruxes (I really hope they keep a good job with that, in the 7th)

Old May 5th, 2010, 7:04 pm
First Year

the only good things i can say about any of the movies, beyond chamber of secrets, is that the actors did an excellent job IMHO. i love the series as a whole, of course, but i didnt like most of the movies.

ive said it before, and ill say it again many times. the movies werent done right. i dont think i could do any better i guess because im not a director but i hate the fact that so many things were left out of the last 4 released movies. the first 2 were wonderfull. ive always been of the opinion that from book three on they should have split them into two parts. the better to include all the important points. either that or say the hell with paring them down so they arent too long and making them each 3 to 4 hours long. i think that fans of the books wouldnt have minded. i know i wouldnt have.

Old May 5th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstinson View Post

ive said it before, and ill say it again many times. the movies werent done right. i dont think i could do any better i guess because im not a director but i hate the fact that so many things were left out of the last 4 released movies. the first 2 were wonderfull. ive always been of the opinion that from book three on they should have split them into two parts. the better to include all the important points. either that or say the hell with paring them down so they arent too long and making them each 3 to 4 hours long. i think that fans of the books wouldnt have minded. i know i wouldnt have.
....coughs.....

The title of this thread is......?

Old May 5th, 2010, 8:49 pm
First Year

I still can't believe that many people disliked this film. I thought it was amazing.

When I first saw 'Prisoner of Azkaban' I hated it. I thought it butchered the book, but as the films went on, I realized that PoA actually became my favorite. Why? Because it didn't try and cram every single detail of the book into 2 hours. Go look at the OotP Soundtrack, every piece is barely 2 minutes long, because everything was so rushed. Alfonso Cuaron created a film, not a book; J.K. Rowling did that. And as a film, it works quite well.

That's how I felt about The Half Blood Prince.. finally, another one that doesn't rush. He made a film.. an adaptation. He wasn't writing a book because it was already done. Sure he took some creative liberties, but sometimes that has to be done for the flow of the film.

Also, I read somewhere that Daniel Radcliff had a hard time filming the funeral because there were so many extras there just having a good time and being loud. He said it was like an 'Irish Wake'... why do I say this? Because the Funeral exists! So fingers crossed that it shows up in the Ultimate Editions or at the beginning of The Deathly Hallows.

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:47 pm
Second Year

Another positive thing about HBP which I rarely find in other adaptations, is the fact that the additions to the story were well worked out and simply great. I'm thinking for instance of the story about the fish Francis, the attack on the Burrow and Bellatrix' vandalizing the Great Hall.
Often in other film adaptations I find that the additions made to the story are only there to make the film fit a specific plot and they turn out either cheezy or a bit formulaic.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies