Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Say something positive about the Half-Blood Prince

Old June 14th, 2010, 2:55 am
Fourth Year

Re: Say something positive about the Half-Blood Prince

Alot of great things were in this movie: The opening scene with the death eaters flying through London was amazing, The memories that we did see were perfect in my opinion and the cinematography as many have said was awesome.

I also felt that this film had the closest feel to the books.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2010, 3:10 am
First Year

i agree with JayPetey, I cant believe how many people didnt like the film. it was my favorite film by FAR. the cave scene was, legitimately, exactly how i pictured it when reading the book. THe opening scene is so fantastic. the scene with Katie bell and the necklace was so creepy AKA awesome. Draco / Tom Felton's performance was fantastic; he portrayed internal torment Draco had perfectly. Both my girlfriend and I felt that the comedic aspect of the film really pulled the plot together.

the only complaint i really had was the burning down of "the Burrow" AKA the WEasleys home. makes zero sense. in Deathly Hallows the wedding is there, the ghoul in the attic, etc

Old June 14th, 2010, 3:15 am
First Year

Something positive, eh?

The acting was astonishingly better, I was proud of Michael Gambon!
The Cave scene-- Couldn't have asked for a better setup.
Ron and Lavender made me laugh. I loved how cheesy and corny the entire relationship was.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

Wit beyond measure...
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:11 pm
Third Year

The Quidditch scenes were done really well, Slughorn was great, especially with all of his facial expressions. Just the overall look to it with the way everything was shot and Michael Gambon was great.

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:22 am
Seventh Year

The Death Eaters flying through London at the beginning was fantastic, and I think the music went with that so well.
The Lucky Potion scene was absolutely fantastic I loved Dan's acting and the moment where he asks Slughorn for his memory was beautiful. I think most of the acting was generally better in this movie, there were some really good moments.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old July 8th, 2010, 9:36 am
Second Year

Luna was cute in her few scenes. I liked the way they shot it. The lighting and color was interesting. I liked the Katie Bell part.

Old July 8th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Fifth Year

These moments have probably all been mentioned...but they were amazing!

1) The Death Eater's attacking/flying through London and all the Muggles not being able to see them. And the huge bridge collapsing- very dramatic.

2)One of the opening scenes- where Harry is being photographed constantly and Dumbledore has his hand on his shoulder. The look on Daniel Radcliffe's face was so grief stricken...

3) Horace Slughorn. His acting was perfect and hiding as an armchair?! Brilliant!

4) The awkward Ginny/Harry/Ron scenes. For example, Ginny feeds Harry a mince pie then Ron just wanders in and sits down between them- long pause- "Pie?"

5) The love triangle between Ron/Lavender/Hermione. Emma Watson was just fantastic and her crying scene when Harry comforts her was very moving. The score there: "Harry and Hermione" really fit the scene, too, I loved the harp line!

6) The Hospital Wing Scene. "I happen to be his... friend!" Poor Lavender aswell, she was hilarious. And when Hermione says, "He's been poisoned you daft dimbo!"...I cracked up. Also, when watching that scene, look closely at Snape in the background- his expression is extremely funny! Watch it!

7) Dumbledore and Snape's arguement, ending with Snape staring mysteriously at Harry mid-way on the stairs. Chilling.

8) The cave scene- exactly like I imagined it.

9) The tribute to Dumbledore with the wands, earned a few tears in my eyes, I can tell you. Also, the music there was highly emotional, I reccomend you listen to it: "Dumbledore's Farewell."

And my favourite moment(s) ever!

One name: Alan Rickman. One of the best actors on earth, in my opinion.

The most powerful scene was right before Dumbledore's death, Harry turns and sees Snape-silence- then the man puts a finger to his lips, "ssh..."

Wow, one of the single moments when Harry trusts Snape and...I love how they added in the "ssh" idea. Very haunting.

Many people complain that Snape didn't scream "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!" but I love what they did in the film slightly better. When Harry screams, "Snape! He trusted you!" the look on Snape's face just resembles how much guilt the man is feeling.

Also, when Bellatrix (she was amazing, as always) curses Harry, Snape shouts: "No! He belongs to the Dark Lord!" Listen closely to that because there is the most beautiful tremor in his voice that shows one of the few times when Snape is seriously down right petrified.

On a lighter note..."Not to mention the pincers; *click* *click."

And, *throws up on Snape's shoes* *pregnant pause* "You've just earned yourself a month's detention."

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:30 pm
First Year

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums, a newbie, so go easy on me! I LOVE HARRY POTTER!

The Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book out the 7, so naturally I loved the movie. What I really liked about the film was:

I enjoyed the Unbreakable Vow scene with Snape, Narcissa, and Bellatrix. It showed the conflict that Snape had even before he had to perform, not for the Dark Lord, but for Dumbledore. And I love Helen McCory, the actress that portrayed Narcissa. She was in The Count of Monte Cristo and I liked then, too.

The scene with Hero Fiennes as young boy Voldemort/Tom Riddle. That dude should have played Damian in The Omen! He actually made me a little nervous.

I love Tom Felton/Draco Malfoy throughout the entire movie, but he and Alan Rickman together was AWESOME!!!! Felton was always a good actor, but in the HBP, he was freakin BRILLIANT!!!!! From the Hogwarts Express scenes to the destruction of the Great Hall (thanx alot Bella), Tom Felton was pure genius!

The infirmary scene when Ron calls out Hermione's name........I loved it!

And of course the Astronomy Tower scene (after returning from the cave)!

Old July 11th, 2010, 2:50 am
First Year

Luna and Snape were the best part of this movie.

The mooning over Ron by Hermione...the WORST! (starts puking flobberworms)

Old July 11th, 2010, 3:54 am
Fourth Year

A couple stand out things for me...

Felix scene
Tom's acting
R/Hr/Lav triangle
the music
the opening
Slughorn was funny

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old July 11th, 2010, 4:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked everyone holding up their lit wands after DD died. This was so moving.

Old July 11th, 2010, 4:32 am
First Year

I feel like this was one of the better films in the series despite some of the changes made. I believe many of those changes will make more sense when the 7th film is released.

Bella is in her element reeking havoc on Muggles. Her scenes were all great.

Malfoy's character was well developed this time...not just a spoiled brat.

Dumbledore was finally as I imagined him, although now he's gone...I liked his death, very well done.

The CAVE!

I do wish the Dursley's had been there at the beginning...that would have been fun.

First Post!

Old July 11th, 2010, 5:12 am
First Year

Alan Rickman and Thomas Andrew Felton are gods. That's all I need to say about that.

As many have said, the cave scene was exactly as imagined...as was Katie Bell's.

The random little comments from Harry..."And...the pincers...-clickclick-" "Dragon balls." "But...I AM the Chosen One. -smug look-"

The awkward Ron/Harry/Ginny stuff. "So--did you and Ginny do it?" "WHAT?!"

Dumbledore's death, and the wand-lighting afterward was beautiful. I cried.

The opening was very different, but I loved it nonetheless.

The Horcrux memory--the actor portraying Riddle was brilliant.

The entire Felix scene--Dan did brilliantly.

I've had some serious issues with Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore--in fact, yesterday I watched SS/PS on ABCFam, and every time Richard Harris came on the screen I started shouting, "Why the ruddy HELL did you have to die?!" However, in this film...he was pretty acceptable.

Overall I think this is definitely one of my favourite films...at least tied with CoS.

"You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort.
"I can help you there."

Old July 11th, 2010, 6:50 am
First Year

Have you read that?
http://warnerbros2009.warnerbros.com...screenplay.pdf
Page 92-95. The added scene at the Burrows was originally written in a way that it was going to be GOOD!!!
-Kloves had given Ginny and Harry more conversation than two lines each.
-The attack was going to be more thrilling than that clumsy, confusing, half-assed action sequence.
-Greyback had lines in that scenes.
-The Burrows wasn't even supposed to burn! It's Yates' or the producers' choice...

So actually we could've seen an exciting scene with better dialogues and more action, but the final product was botched and just leaved us bored, confused and frustrated.

Now, what I like about the HBP movie : EVERYTHING, it's my favorite of the series, David Yates did a great job, except for the Burrows scene + too slow editing at times.

Old July 11th, 2010, 8:40 am
Second Year

HBP as a book is rather cold and dark, but the movie made me laugh. I think portraying the themes of the book and infusing humor was genius. I especially liked Dan's random little lines, preticularly, "But I AM the chosen one." *smack* Makes me laugh just thinking about it...

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:36 pm
Second Year

Dan was so cute in the Felix Felicis part =)) I laughed my head off especially when he did those pincers thing. HE NEEDS TO DRINK FELIX FELICIS ALL THE TIME, OKAY. Forever and ever

THIS.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:19 pm
Second Year

I watched this movie last night with a friend of mine who hadn't seen it yet. She absolutely loved it, and told me it was her favourite one.

The only scene I had to explain to her was the Unbreakable Vow scene. When Draco said the line "Don't you see, I have to do this, I have to kill you... Or he's gonna kill me!" She literally clapped her hand over her mouth in realisation of what Draco's task was. I looked up at her after the scene with all the wands lighting up around Dumbledore and she had tears.

IMO, this movie works so well for what it was made for.

You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.
Not as good as you.
Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry, just be careful.

Sorted
Old July 12th, 2010, 8:52 pm
First Year

My favorite: The scene in Hagrid's cabin in which Slughorn describes receiving the fish named Francis and its/Lily's death. The scene is exquisite. Poignantly acted.

I also liked the tenderness and humor of Slughorn's farewell to Aragog.

Another perfect moment was Hermione's angst over Ron and Lavender's newfound passion, when she weeps on Harry's shoulder and sends her conjured birds to attack Ron. It captured the scene from the book and then some.

And I have to say that the scene on the island in the black lake cave fully conveyed the drama and emotion from the book.

Old July 13th, 2010, 6:26 pm
First Year

Rupert Grint's performance (well that actually stands out for me in all of the films) - he's a really great actor. I just have to say that he always (even when he was in "Driving Lessons") gives a great performance. My favorite scene was when he was under the love potion's spell.

Jim Broadbent actually made me feel sorry for Slughorn when he was in Hagrid's cabin with Harry describing his experience with Lily. It made me tear up a bit.

The scene in which Harry took the Felix Felicis. Just one of my favorite movie scenes ever!

I do think that most of this movie was all about character development, but it really set the scene for the final chapter of the series. All of the main characters have everything they're going to have, and now it's up to the next director to run with it!

Old July 13th, 2010, 6:52 pm
First Year

The opening sequence of HBP with Dumbledore and Harry at the Ministry....just WOW. It is so sad and beautiful. The music fits perfectly and when I saw it in theaters, it almost had me crying before the movie had really even started. IMO, it shows the audience the bond between Harry and DD, which makes the death of DD at the end that much more powerful.

Oh, and Dan's portrayal of Harry on Felix was hilarious ... just a great bit of fresh acting that we wouldn't usually get to see with Harry's character.

Hufflepuff!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies