Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which scenes in the DH movie are your favourite?

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:17 am
First Year

Re: Which scenes in the DH movie are your favourite?

Here are my top scenes. I'll have to watch it a second time though just to take it all in:

1. The whole silver doe/locket destruction sequence: Wow. Just Wow. So exciting to see this. It made the whole audience tense and know that Harry might be in danger. Everything was perfect! I loved especially how Ron saves Harry but you don't know at first who it is. And even though the kiss was uncomfortable to watch, it was completely necessary because that's what Ron's worst fear would be.
2. The MInistry of Magic: defintely the funniest and most lighthearted part of the movie for me. The actors were so perfect and hilarious in the way they copied the trio. And I thought it was so sweet how Ron worried about Mrs. Cattermole just because she was his "wife." It seems like he's gonna be a great husband someday <3
3. Ron's speech when he returns. The music felt so romantic, and the way he was looking at Hermione was adorable.
4. The Three Brother's animation: I just wanna see this short again and again!
5. Harry and Hermione dance: I thought I would hate it because I'm a R/Hr shipper, but it was so funny and cute, and I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. It didn't look to me like they would kiss at all. She just looked so sad before and after. I also asked my mom (who hasn't read the books) and have only seen parts of the movies if she thought it was romantic at all, and she was like, "No! He was just trying to cheer her up. You can tell they love each other as close friends" And when she talked about the characters after we left the movie, she kept referring to Ron as "Hermione's boyfriend"

Other small parts that I liked was Hermione and Ron holding hands while sleeping (and how the camera focused on that), the wedding (wish it was longer!), and Godrick's Hollow at the grave was very sweet and the Bathilda stuff was so scary! Also, the chase seen was very tense and you could sense the desperation the trio had. Emma especially did an awesome job with this.

Scenes I thought could use more:
1. Malfoy Manor. Completely lost the horror that was in the book. There were too many jokes and humorous moments when Hermione was tortured, and Ron should have been screaming! I can kinda see why they didn't include Ron going crazy just because they had to put the Luna/Dobby/Wormtail/goblin stuff all in there. It seemed rushed and I would have liked to cut back on the humor and more on Hermione's torture and Ron's reaction. I remember this was one of the most "romantic" parts of the book for me. I did like how he held her afterwards though.
2. Some of the camping scenes, especially when it's just Harry and Hermione, seemed very slow. I think this was the feel of the book too, so at least it's canon.
3. The reading of the will seemed a little lackluster too.
4. Visiting with Mr. Lovegood seemed slow (except the three brother's story, which I loved!), and the whole time I was thinking, "call the deatheater's already! this is getting boring!"

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:26 am
Second Year

I'm echoing what others have said, but here are my favorites:

Hermione's obliviate
Destroying the horcrux, though it would have been better with the Ron/Harry conversation after
The Three Brothers was excellently animated

Old November 22nd, 2010, 4:09 am
Sixth Year

I'm in the minority on this but I loved the Harry and Hermione dance scene. Not because I'm a H/Hr shipper because I didn't find this romantic in anyway, but because it was so cute and fun to watch. I couldn't help but smile. And it left me sad at Hermione's devastated expression afterward and walking off

I also loved the Ministry scene

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 22nd, 2010, 5:23 am
First Year

I absolutely loved the Tale of the Three Brothers animation, although I was disappointed that Ron wimped out on actually arguing with Hermione that "I just think midnight's scarier."

The animation was stunning, and I thought it struck a great balance between beauty and creepiness. The part where the second brother hung himself was so poignant: I wasn't expecting to see Death fishing him out but somehow it seemed like the most natural next step. The only part I wasn't thrilled with was the third brother's leaving the world; his giving the cloak to his son was fine but I'm not sure I loved the way Death carried him off.

I'd love to see the whole collection of Beetle the Bard tales animated in similar style, with JKR reading them. Don't think I'd ever tire of watching that!

Anyone who thinks sunshine is happiness has never danced in the rain.
Proud to be a Ravenclaw.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 5:24 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBinns View Post
Perhaps I'm being a bit of a dunderhead, but what do you mean "heading off"? When Ron leaves?
No, when Harry is trying to slip away from the Burrow. That was a nice case of adaptation: they showed something that is simply discussed in the book. (The film would have done well to do that elsewhere, as too much exposition was a big flaw.)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
I'm in the minority on this but I loved the Harry and Hermione dance scene. Not because I'm a H/Hr shipper because I didn't find this romantic in anyway, but because it was so cute and fun to watch. I couldn't help but smile. And it left me sad at Hermione's devastated expression afterward and walking off
What's interesting is I don't know if this a minority opinion anymore. I said the same thing in my review of the film, but the reaction I've gauged from fans on this forum has been mainly positive in regards to that scene. Certainly more positive than negative reactions anyways.

I'm surprised that two of my favorite scenes in the film were not actually in the book - Hermione obliviating her parent's memories and the Harry/Hermione dance. I give a lot of credit to Steve Kloves for writing these two scenes into the script.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:23 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBlack101 View Post
What's interesting is I don't know if this a minority opinion anymore. I said the same thing in my review of the film, but the reaction I've gauged from fans on this forum has been mainly positive in regards to that scene. Certainly more positive than negative reactions anyways.

I'm surprised that two of my favorite scenes in the film were not actually in the book - Hermione obliviating her parent's memories and the Harry/Hermione dance. I give a lot of credit to Steve Kloves for writing these two scenes into the script.
Well, that's nice to see then I've seen plenty of positive reviews for this scene on here, but much more negatives from other sites and from people I've talked to Mainly from people who hate non-canon stuff or devout Hermione/Ron shippers who feel that their ship is threatened. And it's fine to not like this scene - but the negative opinions I've heard and read about on this is that this has been seen as romantic and totally "derailing the canon Hermione and Ron ship" as I read somewhere. And the problems I have with this is that I don't see this as romantic at all - and this is coming from a long time Harry/Hermione shipper.

And I agree - the obliviation and dancing scene are definitely among my favorite scenes from DH

And I know Kloves gets a lot of flak for these type of scenes - but I'm glad they kept these scenes in. They added a lot to their friendship and character development.

Last edited by magic_is_might; November 22nd, 2010 at 6:25 am.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:48 am
Second Year

Wimsey, I was wondering why you thought the film had too much exposition in it, because it really didn't; the only real 'exposition scene' in the film is the 'Tale of Three Brothers', and even that doesn't actually feel like a true 'exposition scene' because of the way it was visualized. Steve Kloves has tried to cut down on the amount of exposition that he puts into his script adaptations - without losing the essence of JKR's plots - of the HP novels ever since PoA, and Yates - like Alfonso Cuaron before him - has capitalized on that in terms of how he's shot/visualized the Kloves scripts (HBP and the first part of DH) that he's adapted thus far.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:25 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

My favourite ones were Snape witnessing Charity Burbage's murder (my hair stood on edge!), the tale of the three brothers sequence, Ron leaving, Hermione and Harry dancing, Bathilda Bagshot's house (seriously scary!!).

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 am
Master Seer

I have to say I agree with Wimsey. The movie did have a lot of exposition, I noticed it all the more sorely because it stuck out so clumsily. The way Bill's injury was introduced, Tonks pointing at Lupin saying "my husband!!!" - the first ten minutes of the film (until the Trio left the wedding basically) were literally cluttered with lines that didn't really go with the flow of the scenes but were put in to give mere information.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 1:42 pm
Registered Animagus

I really liked The Seven Potters but it would have been nice to see more of the battle. Overall that was really well done though, especially when Voldemort and Harry's wands connected.

The ending was also great. There was only one minor change I would have made (mentioned in the review thread) but otherwise I thought it was suspenseful without being annoying, and a dramatic ending.

The Ministry scene was fantastic too, the actors playing the trio under Polyjuice potion were exceptional.

Bella torturing Hermione was uncomfortable to watch and I'm so glad they did it that way, because the scene in the book gives me shivers.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 1:51 pm
Second Year

Here's an official definition for the word 'exposition':
Quote:
Exposition is one of four rhetorical modes of discourse, along with argumentation, description, and narration. It is also used for speeches. The purpose of exposition is to provide some background and inform the readers about the plot, character, setting, and theme of the essay/story or motion picture.

Exposition as a fiction-writing mode
Within the context of fiction, exposition is the fiction-writing mode for conveying information. According to Robert Kernen, "Exposition can be one of the most effective ways of creating and increasing the drama in your story. It can also be the quickest way to kill a plot's momentum and get your story bogged down in detail. Too much exposition, or too much at one time, can seriously derail a story and be frustrating to the reader or viewer eager for a story to either get moving or move on." (Kernen 1999, p. 57)

Exposition in fiction may be delivered through various means. As noted by Ansen Dibell, the simplest way is to just place the information between scenes as the all-seeing, all-knowing (but impersonal and invisible) narrator.(Dibell 1988, p. 51) Jessica Page Morrell has observed that various devices, such as trial transcriptions, newspaper clippings, letters, and diaries may be used to convey information.(Morrell 2006, p. 94) Another means of delivering information is through a character, either as dialogue or through the character's thoughts.(Dibell 1988, pp. 51–52)

Information dump
When the presentation of information in fiction becomes wordy, it is sometimes referred to as an "information dump," "exposition dump," or "plot dump." Information dumps expressed by characters in dialogue or monologue are sometimes referred to as "idiot lectures."

Information dumps are sometimes placed at the beginning of stories as a means of establishing the premise of the plot. In serial television drama, exposition in individual episodes often appears as a brief montage of scenes from earlier episodes, prefaced with the phrase "Previously on [name of series]." Villain speech is a specific form of exposition in which the villain describes his sinister plans to a helpless hero, often prefacing his exposition with the comment that it can't hurt to divulge the plan, since the hero will be dead soon anyway (or the plan will be impossible to stop in the short time available). The villain's motivation sometimes includes his desire to have his cleverness admired by the character most capable of appreciating it. Examples include Comic book supervillains and villains in James Bond movies.

In television, information dumps are common in sit-coms with the introduction of non-recurring characters which drive the comedic plot of a particular episode. An example would be the use of the narrator in Arrested Development to sum up the revelations and inner thoughts of characters in order to keep the viewer tuned to the plot.

In television sketch comedy, which borrows from the tradition of vaudeville comedy, exposition in the most exaggerated sense is used for outrageous comedic effect.

Stories which are concerned with the unearthing of a secret past sometimes include lengthy exposition sequences. These may include large quantities of exposition, complete with theorizing about the implications of the information. Examples include:

Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code
Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash
Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum
There really isn't anything within DH Part 1 that truly fits either aspect of that definition. Tonks calling Lupin her husband is a 'progression reference' callback to Kloves' script for HBP (wherein he established that the two of them were in a relationship, again through a line or two of reference dialogue), and Bill introducing himself and explaining the scars on his face is a character introduction. I guess that Ron's tale about how he found his way back to Harry and Hermione does qualify as exposition, as per the above definition, but it certainly doesn't feel like a traditional 'exposition scene', nor, as I mentioned, does the "Tale of the Three Brothers".

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:47 pm
First Year

There are so many, as i just loved the film but I will try to narrow it down!

Hermionie's Leaving - Just so touching! (by far Emma Watson's best acted film so far)
The Seven Potters - All because of how funny it was and seeing the other night on the 'Behind the scenes' programme how Dan actuallydone it was just hilarious!
Ron as Reginald Cattermole - Too funny! The whole cinema's reaction was hilarious!
Godric's Hollow - Was so well acted from both Dan and Emma, stunning!
Dobby's Death - A love/hate scene! Love because it was just amazing,with such beautiful scenery, obviously hate because it was so sad to see him go! Glad I had already made my peace with it after reading the book, but still sad!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:59 pm
Second Year

1. Harry and Rons fight. I loved it, I loved how true it was to the book and Rupert was excellent in the fight and the build up to it. You could really tell how ****** off he was.

2. Silver doe scene. Beautifully done.

3. Dobbys death *cry*

4. Godrics Hollow. The snake was so so creepy, creepier than in the book I feel, the graveyard scene was touching also, my eyes were wet .

5. Bella torturing Hermione. I was really freaked out, it was really really creep. Emmas screams scared the living **** out of me. So so dark.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:05 pm
Fifth Year

The opening sequence is perfect, especially 'Obliviate'. I listened to the score before going to the film, but I've never realized how beautiful that track is until I heard it while watching the scene itself. Emma's acting is also amazing.

And I love every second of the Tales of Three Brothers. It's the type of creativity I've always wished to see in a Harry Potter film. I love the way Death is designed (like a cross between a dementor and a traditional grim reaper), the way he bows at the three brothers before conjuring each object, the way he pulls the hanged second brother out of the room, the way he takes the third brother by transforming into a flock of crows, which it then transitioned into real crows flying outside Lovegood's house. Everything's just perfect.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:39 pm
Second Year

obliviate scene, the seven potters, the attack by the snatchers in the dinner, hermione being tortured, the chase by the snatchers, dobby and kreacher bringing in mundungus, and dobby in malfoy manor.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:14 pm
Sixth Year

I'll also have the add the Snatcher chase scene. It was really fun to watch.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
First Year

I really loved all the additional scenes. Like Hedwig, Hermione and Harry dancing, and the way Hermione was tortured. Usually those scenes are just stupid, but I can't think of one I didn't really enjoy.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:45 pm
Second Year

^ Of those scenes you just mentioned, only the Harry/Hermione dance really is an 'additional' scene; the other scenes were in the book, but Steve Kloves and David Yates simply chose to adapt them slightly differently to how JKR describes them, which is their prerogative.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:52 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
No, when Harry is trying to slip away from the Burrow. That was a nice case of adaptation: they showed something that is simply discussed in the book. (The film would have done well to do that elsewhere, as too much exposition was a big flaw.)
Gotcha! I know what the phrase "head off" means, but I guess I just couldn't figure out where Ron intervened. I enjoyed the scene a lot, but I guess it was not that memorable for me if I couldn't recall it!

It will probably take several more viewings to pull out a favorite scene or two.

Right now I would have to go with the Silver Doe scene. Everything from how the doe looked to Harry's realization that he has to go into the water, to how the locket strangled him and how his rescuer was slowly revealed. I loved this scene and the destruction of the locket that followed. (What I did not like was the lack of a conversation afterwards between Harry and Ron, but it does not diminish my love for the scene)!

Despite some minor nitpicks (I am a very nitpicky person) I really enjoyed the Ministry of Magic scene. I was worried at how three random actors would portray our heros, but was so pleasantly surprised at how much I completely forgot that was not Dan, Rupert, and Emma on screen. The confrontation with Umbridge was wonderful and I thought Yaxley was awesome!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. That’s a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, it’s bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after we’re gone. Maybe we’ll see our kids go here.
That’s the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long you’re away from it, there’s always a way back."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies