Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2: Review Thread

View Poll Results: What do you think of Part 2?
10/10 - The best film of the series. A great pace, amazing action and so emotional from start to finish. I don't want it to end! 118 33.15%
9/10 - An awesome film. My emotions were all over the place. Watching it again when I get the chance! 75 21.07%
8/10 - It was great. A fantastic way to end the series. The very minor issues were too minor to bother me. 80 22.47%
7/10 - The film was very good. I was unhappy with some of the scenes, but it works very well when you pair it up with Part 1. 40 11.24%
6/10 - A few plot points overlooked and wasn't sure about some of the changes to key scenes, but it entertained me. 17 4.78%
5/10 - Not great, just average for me. I expected more for the final movie. Maybe I will like it more if I watch it again..? 12 3.37%
4/10 - Well, all that hype and I feel a bit cheated. I just couldn't stomach some of the scenes. I feel let down. 5 1.40%
3/10 - I really wish they had just committed to one longer film instead of two parts. I would have preferred that. 2 0.56%
2/10 - Really poor. What could have been a good ending was just awful. Too much was wrong from start to finish. 3 0.84%
1/10 - If I had a resurrection stone, I'd resurrect the script and write it all again. 2 0.56%
0/10 - Avada Kedavra! 2 0.56%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2: Review Thread

I loved it!

What I liked: all of it. OK, most of it. It's hard for me to pick out anything in particular.
  • The Ron/Hermione moments. The kiss. I like how it had this comical side to it which probably made it easier for Rupert and Emma to do it. Knowing that little backstory made it better for me, I think.
  • The dragon/Gringotts scene.
  • Neville! Super hero! He was awesome!
  • King's Cross. So good. Beautiful.
  • The fiendfyre
  • Harry's battle with Voldemort
  • Hermione as Bellatrix
  • McGonagall fighting Snape
  • Not that I like them dying, but Remus and Tonks did look like they were just asleep (especially since they were on cots)
  • Seamus's lines
  • McGonagall mentioning Seamus likes pyrotechnics (immediately thought of the pyro Seamus avatar)
  • Ron opening the Chamber...Harry talks in his sleep.
(OK, maybe I can pick out what I like )

What I didn't like:
  • The epilogue didn't do much. It didn't explain anything except to say "it's your choices that matter." Where as I think the message book is a lot clearer. I love the book epilogue, btw. I'll probably like the movie one better if I see it again. The kid who plays Albus looks too much like my cousin's demon son, though.
  • Snape's story. There was no mention of mudblood. No mention of Lily not liking James at first. No mention Lily turning away from Snape. It doesn't have the same impact, I think. But the "always" I felt better portrayed that it was about Lily and not Harry.
  • Not developing Dumbledore's story.
  • I can't explain why but it rubbed me the wrong way that they said Shell Cottage is their aunt's house and just used as a safe house for the Order. I don't know why. It just felt wrong to me. It's weird, I know.
  • Ron's crying over Fred. I love Rupert. I think he's a great actor, but he wins the Overacting Award of the Year. I think I take Dan's crying in PoA over this. Sorry, Rupert.

You know what was terrible? Dean Thomas was walking behind Kingsley Shacklebolt and my sister asked me if he was his son! I had to remind her that was Dean Thomas! What a way to develop his character. Sigh.

I did vote 10/10. I totally loved this movie. I cried at the end when the trio stands next to each other before the epilogue. I didn't get that empty feeling though that I usually got after seeing the movie in theaters. I felt complete. It was complete. My sister said it was the first time she never felt anything important was left out. Things were changed, but not badly.

Everytime in Part 1 and Part 2 when someone says "You-Know-Who does this" I want to respond "No, who?"

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; July 15th, 2011 at 9:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 9:30 pm
First Year

I have to say I am dissapointed and I hate,myself for saying so.
I felt that the whole ending was too rushed and little to none,of the story was auctually told. I am extreamly let down by the scene with aberforth in hogsmeade, they completly left out alot of development for dumbledore and in the book harrys interbal struggle with trusting dumbledore was much bigger. Also before he went into the forest and told ron and herominie where he was going...what?i feel like freds death was downplayed alor too and that was for me, one of the most tragic scenes in the book. Also the last scene with the elder wand and not showing his wand being repaired didnt make alot of sence. Also his final battle with voldermort should have been set more like the book, having then deul alone was fownplaying it a bit...and in the great hall no one even cared he just killed the most evil wizard ever? I expected much more there. I feel that insted of having hom show up in the great hall when he first gets to hogwarts makes me really miss out on the whole ravenclaw tower scene that happens in the books.

However, I did like the forest again scene with the ressurection stone was good and the kings cross when it shows the part if voldermorts soul was good also I also liked mcgonnagals scenes...thosescenes are not entirely redeeming though.

On the whole I feel they should have focused more on the story then the battle, it felt rushed and in my opionin should have been maybe, 45 minutes longerand had more detail

Sorry for anytypos...my phones touch screen is not the best medium for this .

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Third Year

So I went to see it again today with my parents and it was just way better the other time around. This time i didn't get shocked be things and miss something like i did the first time!

Things i didn't realize i liked the first time:

- The build up to the battle. The first time i was so excited that i didn't even realize how epic the moving armors and the shield around Hogwarts was. Really cool!

- The Soundtrack! Oh my God is it amazing! I think it might be the best!

- Arriving Hogwarts, and Hedwigs theme. Once again; epic.

- 19 years later. This time it almost made me cry. Great scene.

- Harry breaking the Elder Wand. I like it, but i wish he would have repaired his own first.

Things i changed my mind about:
- Voldemort crumbeling like paper. He made a 'fake' body so it's okay, and it did make a nice effect...

Things that still is bad:
- Bellatrix's death. Do i have to say anything about this ?

- Nobody's congratulating Harry. Yeah...they really should have put that in.

The first time i saw it i would give it just 7.5/10. After i saw it again i give it 9.5/10, it's a worthy end to the Harry Potter movies.

Can't whait for the DVD with the deleted scenes

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:38 pm
First Year

I thought it was a good action film, well-made, but I think it would confuse those without a previous understanding of the storyline. On balance I think there was too much battle and not enough time given to filling out the preceding scenes.

What I really liked -
Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix and as especially as Hermione. I found the character over the top in previous films, but excellent this time round.
The underground Gringotts scenes. While the plight of House-Elves was not included as part of the story, the cruelty to the dragon did not pass uncommented.
The Harry/Voldemort "apparition" after jumping off the cliff - creepy and scary.
Snape's speech to the assembled School was suitably menacing.
The fluttering seeds/leaves? scene of the young Lily/Severus in the Princes Tale, giving an indication of the strength of their friendship and their magic.
I liked the colour themes and that the music didn't overpower. There were some really quiet moments.

Maggie Smith, Warwick Davies, Alan Rickman stood out.

And not so much -

While I liked the the Princes Tale I found it cut off sharply at the end of each memory and I was trying to work out what had happened as it moved onto the next.

The exploding Bellatrix and Voldemort. I wanted to see the finality of their deaths.

I thought that the film makers wanted to get a low age rating for the film and so softened the blood/gore/deaths to accomodate this. But they were dealing with heavier events/themes and older characters which I felt needed greater emotional impact. I saw only Alan Rickman give the character the full depth of emotion it deserved for the story, rather than the film rating. As a result I didn't feel as emotionally connected as I expected to be. I had expected to at least sniffle at moments, but no...

As a side note I asked for a ticket in a "18 plus" viewing as advertised ( I thought). 95% of the patrons present were adults, but there was a group of 10-11 year-olds at the front who giggled and chattered throughout, which was disturbing. Frequent hisses and Shhhhhhushes from around the auditorium suggested others were annoyed at this too. If it were all-age admission it wouldn't have been an issue, that's how children enjoy a film. Unfortunately at the start of the Kings Cross scene one of them turned around and addressed the auditorium loudly with "can you all see us here?" However I felt sorry for them at the Voldemort baby scene when they were audibly distressed and I wondered why such young ones were allowed in.

Very much my subjective experience, coloured by expectation and unwanted distractions. I may try again in a quieter screening in a few weeks time. With such a fast-action film there are bound to be details and moments unnoticed first time round.

Overall 7/10

RuneStone on Pottermore
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:18 am
Third Year

If anyone is interested spill.com has already posted their review on it and they gave a pretty good review on it

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:28 am
Third Year

To start out with, I think that the movies have gotten better as the years go by. For the last four or five movies, I have always come out of the theater with a "this is the best movie yet!" and Deathly Hallows part 2 is no exception...besides the "yet" bit. *cries*

The one scene I have been looking forward to for the past four years was the break-in at Gringotts. In the book, this scene is exciting and dramatic and epic. I was not dissapointed watching that scene. The dragon is appropriately dangerous and grandiose, and the fight to get Hufflepuff's cup was good. (My only complaint is that it didn't seem like the replicas were burning hot. That's part of what made the scene so exciting. In the movie, the replicas just piled up, making it a bit easier for Harry to reach the Horcrux, rather than more difficult.) And Griphook was as nasty as ever. It's a very great scene, but it's not one that people will remember, due to the fantastic battle scenes and the emotional deaths that happen later on.

The Prince's Tale- Snape's gruesome death affected me in a way that the book never could. I am NOT a Snape fan. At all. But watching Nagini lunge at him over and over and over again, with his blood spattered on the window behind him-I felt bad for Snape. Before I could stop myself, I thought "Even Snape doesn't deserve that death." However, I was not a fan of Snape's memories. Especially him holding dead Lily and sobbing. It seemed like he was overacting to me. To backtrack, Snape's tears are his memories? Really? Since when? Snape just seemed very emo to me in this movie. Maybe it was the ridiculous amount of eye shadow he had on.

I LOVED all the battle scenes, especially those with the Trio. One of my major quibbles with the book is that Harry didn't seem more competent as a wizard in Deathly Hallows than he did in Sorcerer's Stone. However, we got to see Harry and Ron and Hermione duke it out with the Death Eaters. It was wonderful.

It was a pretty minor thing in the movie, but Greyback drinking Lavender Brown's blood-wonderfully disturbing. I gasped when I saw it.

Molly's line, was, of course, wonderful. When Bellatrix disintregated into dust (weird, by the way), the entire theater clapped. Which I found ironic when the audience didn't react at all to Voldemort's deeath.

Harry-Voldy-face-melding? What? I wouldn't have minded so much if they explained whyyyyyy Harry did that in the movie. But it just made no sense to me. Or anybody else, it seems like.

Can I just say that the interior of Shell Cottage was beautiful? Especially the one room that had a glass roof, or something like that.

And, unlike any other movie, All three of the Trio acted phenomonally in Deathly Hallows. Emma Watson, of course, had Part 1 to show off, and Dan Radcliffe was incredible in Part 2, but the few lines that Rupert had were well executed, as well. Dan really surprised me in Part 2. Especially in the very emotional, scenes were Harry cries (PoA, GoF, OotP, etc...) he used to not be very good. It was painful to watch Dan be emotional. But in Part 2, which is almost ALL emotion, he was just...amazing. It was enough, but not too much. It's incredible to see how much the Trio has grown in their acting abilities over the past ten years.

I woke up at four in the morning on the 14th to watch all of the movies with my friends, and then went to the midnight premiere. It was a very emotional day for me. I cried at some of the scenes that had never moved me before, and flinched and cringed at things that never bothered me before. Maybe seeing all of the movies in such a short notice made this last movie that much more intense for me, but I came out of the movie crying very hard. Not because of the movie itself, but the fact that it was the last one. It's all over. The Harry Potter way of life is going to die out within the next couple of years. Which is very depressing. I am sixteen, and Harry Potter has been my life since I was six. I feel like I am in mourning for the series. It's going to be a hard next couple days.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old July 16th, 2011, 1:02 am
First Year

Moments I liked:
- The Lestrange vault break-in - Helena Bonham Carter was brilliant playing Hermionie as Bellatrix
- The Dragon - it was visually brilliant and realistic
- The Snape speech and Harry confrontation - the acting was superb from both Alan Rickman and Dan
- The Snape/McGonnagall Dual - This was one of my favourite moments. Snape looked like he was going to cry and well McGonnagall was just a total badass.
- Snape's Death Scene - This was one of the saddest, most powerful moments of the whole series.
- Snape's Memories - This was just fantastic and I'm glad Snape was finally given the screen time he deserves.
- Resurection Stone Scene - loved this. I never found it particularly sad in the novel but when I watched it on screen there was a tear in my eye.
- The Kings Cross Scene - it was fantastic
- Voldemort and the death eaters with Harry's "dead" body - this was great - Ralph Fiennes made Voldemort's victory speech chilling and Bellatrix just had the craziest laugh at this moment.
- "Not My Daughter You *****!"

Moments I didn't like
- The actual Lestrange vault - it didn't look like how I imagined it - the multiplying treasure never really worked for me
- The Grey Lady - I don't know why I was just not very keen on that sequence
- The Room of Requirement Scene - The room or Diadem didn't look like what I imagined and the scene wasn't as exciting as it was in the novel.
- Fred's death scene - it was undramatic and not as emotional as it should have been
- Harry and Voldemort jumping off the cliff together - it was unneccesary
- Bellatrix and the snake's death - why did they crumble away??
- Voldemort and Harry final dual - it just did not live up to expectations

Moments I wished had been put in
- Harry repairing his broken wand with the elder wand
- Neville having the sorting hat set on fire on his head
- Snape taking Lily's letter
- Dumbledore explaining about the significance of Voldemort having Harry's blood
- Percy's dialogue

Old July 16th, 2011, 1:03 am
First Year

The movie was great. I really enjoyed it! And I loved all of Bella's scenes! I love Helena Bonham Carter! However, I do have some qualms about some of the scenes in the movie versus how they played out in the book.

1. The fight between Molly and Bellatrix. I can't stand the way Bella died in the movie compared to the way she died in the book. Molly just blew her up! In the book, she just slumped to the floor completely lifeless. The book gives people more to draw from so that they can create their own HP spinoff with Bella as one of the main characters again. But in the movie, she gets completely wiped off the face of the Earth! Really though? ***! On the up side, Molly's infamous line "Not my daughter you B****" doesn't seem forced and cheesy in the movie as it did in the book. Well played.

2. The kiss between Ron and Hermione was so out of place. It's like they went "We killed the Horcrux. Let's make out!". Like seriously? It seems like they threw that in there for no reason; like what you would call a 'filler'. And it did nothing for the Ron-Hermione relationship. All the HP movies were basically building up the suspense to Ron and Hermione finally going public about their feelings for one another. But the final movie, it was just a let down. They just jumped right into it. Just like, um, ok. Did Ron and Hermione kiss in the book? I can't remember. But if they did, I don't recall it being during the chamber of secrets scene. But regardless of whether they actually kissed in the book, the movie kiss and the overall effect was just lame and ridiculous. It was the wrong time and place. And the kiss lasted way too long. They were literally sucking eachother's faces off. The gentle 3 second kiss between Harry and Ginny during the Hogwarts battle was better. It wasn't forced at all unlike Ron and Hermione's kiss.

3. The hug between Draco and Voldy. huh!? He shouln't have gestured to Draco at all. Since when does Voldy have feelings? Even if it is in a congratulatory way. Not to mention, Voldy has a very cold heart and personality. His attempt at showing some kind of emotion, even if it is in a very remote sense, came off as stiff. Maybe the stiffness was supposed to be there, but it just didn't flow right.

4. The epilogue was a disaster. It was supposed to be 19 years into the future and yet they all still looked the exact same age. They made Ron look older during the Gringotts scene but they didn't do anything for any of the main characters during the epilogue. Dressing more mature doesn't always make you look more mature. If they weren't going to do heavy makeup and costuming they should have gotten other actors to play the main characters. I also feel like they shouldn't have included the epiloge. The movie was fine where it ended, without the epilogue.

Some upsides to the film:
I liked how they only included the essentials during the King's Cross Station scene. I feel like if Dumbledore had told his story about him, his brother and his sister, it would've taken away from the movie and the suspense. It just wasn't really important enough to be included imo. It also would have looked weird with Dumbledore saying that it was playing out in Harry's head, implying that Harry always had all the answers even though he simply couldn't have. It was weird in the book so it would've been weird in the movie as well.

I also liked how Ron explained that Harry talks in his sleep when he went to open the entrance to the chamber of secrets. That was a better explaination than Ron simply imitating Harry because he recalled an old memory or something. At least you get a sense that Ron probably memorized the word.

The movie had it's funny moments too. Like Professor McGonagall saying she always wanted to do a particular spell. And Harry saying he doesn't know what he's looking for or where it can be found, and one of the other characters saying 'That's nothing to go on'.

I loved Snape's final moments with Harry, when he was choking out his last words, and Snape's memories in the pensieve, especially when he was holding lily. I got so emotional! And when Harry was talking to his loved ones, especially his parents, with the resurrection stone, I got emotional too.

Last edited by PeppermintGum; July 16th, 2011 at 2:24 am.
Old July 16th, 2011, 1:20 am
Fifth Year

Well, it's hard to do a real review here. I mean, I loved it.

Loved:
-Snape making me cry all over the place when he died in an insanely cruel fashion. It was even more disturbing than in the book, jeez!
-In the Snape flashbacks: the shots of him going through the Potter's house after they died was really heartwrenching, even if it wasn't canon.
-including Snape showing Dumbledore his Patronus and Dumbledore asking "after all this time" and Snape saying "always." I would have found it unforgivable if they had left that out.
-Baby Harry was crying and it was SO. FREAKING. SAD. I thought my heart was going to explode because it was the saddest thing I have ever seen
-McGonagall being a total BA
-Neville being both hilarious and a total BA
-the battle scenes
-the dragon scene
-including Fenrir feeding on Lavender
-Cool Snatcher made a reappearance that was quite funny
-making Voldie feel pain when the Horcrux's get destroyed
-Dean and Seamus having lines
-McGonagall's reference to Seamus enjoying blowing things up
-The suits of armor coming to life
-The scene with Harry, Ron, and Hermione coming into the Room of Requirement and everyone clapping and cheering was as heartwarming as it was in the book
-Filch pathetically trying to sweep up some dust
-Older Ron having a bit of a gut on him. He would.
-Ron's Gringotts disguise was really awesome
-The soundtrack was awesome
-Keeping Hagrid in the forest scene and having him carry Harry's "dead" body back. I was worried they would leave that out because I hadn't seen him the whole movie.
-Having Harry explain that the Elder Wand had gone to Draco after Dumbledore died before it went to Harry.
-Clarifying Snape's doe Patronus in the King's Cross scene. It was quite obvious in the book, but the film really did need the clarification so the non-book reading audience would get how it was connected to Lily.

Minor quibbles:
-Harry didn't fix his wand
-epilogue felt mildly irrelevant; the name "Albus Severus" sounds even stupider spoken aloud in film than reading on a page
-While hilarious, the Voldemort/Draco hug was the most awkward thing I have ever seen in my life
-As usual, I couldn't stand movie!Luna. And, as usual, I'm probably the only one.
-Skirting around the Dumbledore/Aberforth/Ariana/Grindelwald backstory. It doesn't bother me all that much because I obviously know what happens, but I think they could have taken an extra few minutes for a little explanation.
-Griphook dying. Huh?
-Voldemort and Harry having the big duel alone
-Voldemort turning into what looked like shreds of paper. Um, that was a bit anticlimactic. But you know what? It could have worked if they had been surrounded by everyone else like they were supposed to so they could cheer.
-No celebration!
-Movie!Ginny still having zero personality due to complete lack of character development
-There's never been enough Kingsley in these movies.

One major quibble:
Harry told Ron and Hermione he was going to the forest to die, so I was deprived of a scene getting their reactions thinking he was dead. It was probably one of my favorite scenes in the book, and the alteration to that was pretty disappointing.

I'll probably be able to say this all more eloquently after I see it again.

Last edited by merry18; July 16th, 2011 at 1:22 am.
Old July 16th, 2011, 1:38 am
First Year

ETA:

On a side note, I saw the coolest costume at the midnight show. Someone brought in a giant snitch with "I open at the close" written on it, and when it opened, a woman in a gold body suit and wings came out holding a big green stone. Kudos to you, whoever you are.[/quote]

i saw a really cool costume also. this girl looked exactly like bellatrix. she had a wig that looked like her hair, she was wearing bellatrix robes, and she had the same face as bellatrix. she was also the same size, and the same weight.

Old July 16th, 2011, 1:55 am
First Year

Very entertaining... 8 out of 10.

Let's start with the few gripes that kept this from being 10/10 for me.

- I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about Harry talking to Ron & Hermione before going off into the forest to meet Voldemort. It was completely out of character for Ron & Hermione to just let Harry walk off into the forest and get killed by Voldemort without trying to stop him or go with him. For the past 7 years, these two stuck with Harry through thick and thin and insisted on helping him whenever he wanted to go it alone; yet this time they were just like "Oh, OK, see you later..."

- I felt a little let down by the Harry/Voldemort final showdown, as well as the manner of Voldemort's death. Basically, as soon as Neville killed Nagini, Voldemort just disintegrated. They didn't even use the plot point of the Elder Wand backfiring on Voldemort because it was loyal to Harry.

- I was disappointed that the Hogwarts professors didn't even attempt to lead the underage students to safety. It is completely out of character and wrong that Professor McGonagall would allow 11-year old children to sacrifice themselves Death Eaters, werewolves and giants.

- Hardly any Hagrid in this film and no Grawp.

- Nobody can Apparate in Hogwarts, not even Voldemort!

- No explanation that Lily's blood-protection kept Harry alive when Voldemort did Avada Kedavra on him in the forest.

Here are some things I thought were very well done:

- Snape going to Godrick's Hollow, finding Lily dead and crying over her body. It wasn't in the book, but was a nice touch. An improvement on JKR's version of Snape finding Lily's picture at 15 Grimmauld Place.

- Ron & Hermione visiting the Chamber of Secrets and the kiss. I didn't even notice Ron's head blocking (what are you guys expecting, tongue? This is a family film!)

- The magical dome cast over Hogwarts by the Order and the Hogwarts professors.

- Draco and the Malfoys

- Kings Cross and the Voldemort-bloody-baby-thing were exactly as I envisioned when reading the book, except that Harry wasn't naked (again, this is a family film!). Well done!

- McGonagall bringing the suits of armor to life.

Last edited by Minmei; July 16th, 2011 at 2:06 am.
Old July 16th, 2011, 2:12 am
First Year

Okay, I'm not going to say a lot because I need to see this again a second time, partly because I was crying for most of it, and secondly because I kept getting distracted by the waitresses where I went to see it. (Imagine trying to count out change while bawling your eyes out!)

But I did want to add in here that Lavender Brown's death hit me like a ton of bricks. It scared me, I was not expecting her to be bleeding like that and..ugh.

Old July 16th, 2011, 2:23 am
First Year

Well i've had a whole day to sort of think on it. I'm giving it an 8/10. It's still the best Potter film to date by a mile. But I feel like the filmakers really dropped the ball on making it live up to its full potential.

McGonagall bringing the statues to life.

The professors casting protection over the school.

The death eaters firing on the protection.

Neville's moment with what looked like snatchers.

The Snape/Minerava duel...well...kind of. The set up and the acting was great. But I feel like the actual duel was a letdown. It's just Snape casting a few shield charms before running for it.

I actually liked the boathouse scene. I'm not sure how I felt about the Snape/Harry moment right before he dies. A bit too sentimental when compared to the book.

The Prince's Tale. I would have liked to see it fully fleshed out like in the book. But I like what we got overall. Snape showing up at Godric's Hollow really did the trick.

The battle of Hogwarts in general. Though I would have liked to see more one on one dues action between the characters.

King's Cross was okay. I would have preferred the info dump we got in the book, but I can kind of understand why they cut it. Voldemort's mutilated soul looked just how I pictured it.

Dislikes:

Is Bellatrix a witch or a piece of glass? Her death was just so.....weird. It's like her body distorted and then it broke.

Same thing with Voldemort. So all this time he was made out of paper?

The casual tea time atmosphere after Voldemort dies. You can tell that obviously nothing eventful has just taken place.

Speaking of Voldemort dying, I'm still not actually sure how he died. In the book, it was clear that the elder wand rebounded on him because Harry was the true master. But we see him cast a million different curses at Harry and none of them rebounded. So what the hell actually happened at the end?

Voldemort in general. Is it just me, or did he seem weak compared to Book Voldemort? There's no way Book Harry would have lasted simply dueling with Voldy straight up. That was the point, Harry won because of his self-lessness and his ability to love. That's why he was able to unite the hallows when Voldy couldn't. Harry was never going to out duel him, which is what the film made it seem like.

And last, but not least, NO PROPER EXPLANATION OF WHY HARRY DIDN'T DIE! I mean seriously, is it that difficult to explain Lily's blood protection living inside resurected voldy? They even could have done a Goblet of Fire flashback showing Wormtail cutting harry. It would have taken a minute and a half at most!

Last edited by TX_Grindelwald; July 16th, 2011 at 2:26 am.
Old July 16th, 2011, 3:23 am
First Year

i'm not sure if this was mentioned before on this topic but were any of you really dissapointed, like me, at the scene of Harry and Voldemort's last fight that the movie didn't include this part of the book...

"I am the true master of the Elder Wand. A red glow burst suddenly across the enchanted sky above them, as an edge of dazzling sun appeared over the sill of the nearest window. The light hit both there faces at the same time, so that Voldemort was suddenly a flaming blur. Harry heard the high voice shriek as he, too, yelled his best hope to the heavens, pointing Draco's wand: Avada Kedavra! Expelliarmus!."

Reading this just gave me the most amazing imagery of the darkest night exploding into color as Harry outsmarts and defeats Voldemort. It would have been simple to include in the movie, and this, along with some other left out parts: no one cheering Harry at the end, Neville starting the uproar with killing Nagini, The treasure burning the trio in Gringott's and coutless other parts. Left me angry. As a movie though it was great but as a loyal fan of the books for years it could have been made more true. I still can't get over how amazing the sun bursting over Hogwarts would have looked in the movie, as Harry kills Voldy.

Old July 16th, 2011, 4:02 am
First Year

I thought the movie was amazing and, personally, I feel some of the things some of you are complaining about are really small, tiny things that shouldn't be the reason you felt unhappy with the movie. :$

This is the first Potter movie by Yates that has impressed me. Phoenix, Prince, and Part 1 all left me disappointed, but I still had a small shred of hope for Part 2. Besides the Molly vs Bellatrix fight (pretty disappointed in it) everything was very well done, in my opinion.

Old July 16th, 2011, 6:13 am
Second Year

Just got back from watching the film and I had to put my thoughts down! I will have to watch it again to absorb it all..

I thought the film was very good, with some flaws. If I had to give it a grade, I guess it would probably be a B or B+. I do appreciate how much effort went into this last film-how every actor, production designer, etc gave their all to this film. The effects were breathtaking, and the acting was wonderful by every single character this time. The film, in general, was faithful to the film. It was a great idea to split the film in two so that all of our favorite scenes were pretty much included.

Good thoughts:
-How AMAZING was the Prince's tale sequence? Alan Rickman was heartbreaking in his performance, and I think I felt more at his death in the movie than the book, which is saying something. I'm glad Snape's backstory was given proper time and it wasn't something that was glossed over. I can't say enough good things about that moment-so, so good.
-The Gringotts sequence was exactly how I had pictured it in the book, except for the fact that I couldn't stop laughing at Helena acting as Hermione. Brilliant. The dragon looked fantastic; there was so more character detail put into his design.
-The moment with Harry in the forest with the Resurrection Stone was beautifully done and very touching
-The start of the battle sequence-bewitching the statues, etc. I loved Mc Gonagall's line, "I've always wanted to use that spell!"
-It was cool seeing characters come back that we hadn't seen for a while-Filch, Professor's Sprout and Trelawney

Some critiques:
-The real bother I had in the film was the fight sequence between Harry and Voldemort. There was already so much action in the film that this extended sequence wasn't needed, and it actually made the showdown less special to me. I had chills while reading the book when Harry lectured Voldemort, and none of that was here. And why were they by themselves? It should have taken place in the Great Hall, surronded by people
-Harry and Ginny continue to have zero chemistry
-I didn't like that they put Ron and Hermione in the scene with Harry leaving to die. I thought it was better the way they put it in the book with Neville, but what really irked me was how Hermione had a proper goodbye to Harry while Ron just stood there...really? First of all, they would have never let Harry go in the first place. Secondly, Ron would have done SOMETHING to say goodbye to Harry, not just stare at him. Another instance of the screenwriter favoring Hermione.
-I know it wasn't needed, but I would have liked to see the Ravenclaw common room. It's the house I'd like to be in!

Like I said, I have to see it again to really decide how I feel about it..but I was pretty happy with the film. I can't believe the films are really over and there's no more Harry Potter!

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old July 16th, 2011, 6:19 am
Fifth Year

What i loved:
Nearly everything i saw.

Shell Cottage: I liked the look of it a lot. It was much brighter than i imagined.
Seeing Dobby's grave.

Gringotts scenes. I loved Hermione-Bellatrix. Helena Bonham-Carter doing that was awesome. It was as awkward as it needed to be. The Dragon was great too. The vault looked like i thought it would and i really liked the multiplying treasure. That was going on like how i imagined.

Hogsmeade: I liked the caterwauling charm. It sounded like cats instead of a siren how i thought it would sound.
Aberforth looked great.
The explanation of the Mirror was fine for me, really.
Ariana's portrait was eerie.

Hogwarts:
lol everything! McGonagall was something else here! Even her line "I always wanted to use that spell!" was pretty good given the gravity of the situation. Her line about Seamus and his demonstration of pyrotechnics was an awesome callback. Her battle with Snape was fantastic.

Neville blowing up the bridge was awesome.
Luna saying "Harry Potter you will listen to me right now!" was...well i was just blown away! You tell him, Luna!
The Grey Lady. I liked that sequence quite a bit. She was just as aloof as i imagined.

Room Of Requirement Scenes:
Really nice. The Fiendfyre effects kicked my butt. Everything that happened in there played out nicely in my opinion. Crabbe falling to his death and Draco's reaction. He was all "oh man..."

Voldemort:
His crumbling sanity was one of things i loved most about the film actually. How he is losing his mind completely with each horcrux being destroyed. It was a great touch which was only hinted at in the book. His reaction to Bella when he falls over in the forest was just...ouch. Fiennes delivered here in ways i was not expecting.

Snape's Death and The Prince's Tale:
Yeah the very moments i was both dreading and deeply looking forward to. His death scene was the most difficult to watch. I winced when it was happening and shuddered and cried like you wouldnt believe. His memories leaking out in the form of a tear was powerful. His added final line was....AMAZING!! I mean..whoa!!!! Commence Slarti sobbing uncontrollably. The memories themselves, beautiful. Little Severus was the cutest thing ive ever seen. The pain is real. His confrontation with Dumbledore on the hilltop was something else. The scenes in Dumbledore's office were a huge WHAM episode and delivered perfectly. Him finding Lily in Godric's Hollow...you could FEEL the anguish. The tears! THE TEARS!!!

Ron and Hermione in the Chamber of Secrets:
Im glad we got to see her destroy the cup! The kiss was great too in my opinion.

Neville:
Oh Neville! You are so awesome! No words can describe how great you were!
Yes, i liked the Neville/Luna hints. Sure its not canon but you know what? Ill let you in on a secret. I shipped them hard.

Bella vs Molly: The Line was delivered perfectly. I liked how Bellatrix was obliterated to make things less ambiguous. Like i said before, first time i read DH, i wasnt sure she even died.

Harry and the Stone:
Wow. Nice. Tears. The lines were nearly word for word from the book and i liked that. Everyone looked great. Emphasis on Lily was perfect.

King's Cross:
I liked the look of it. A lot. Just like how i pictured it. Flayed Voldy creeped out big time. Dumbledore's exposition was nice and short. The film wasnt allowing a lot of info dump like the book had. Dumbledore's final line was <3.

Narcissa:
Perfect.

Voldy vs Harry:
Didnt mind the weird apparation sequence. Weird, yes, but bothersome? Not to me. The chase sequences with Nagini was cool and i liked how they made that part more climactic. Voldy's death was done well for me.

Epilogue:
Better than i thought! The callbacks to the first film. So everywhere and so great! The trio, Ginny and Draco looked pretty good! Especially Dan! :o

Some irks:
Note: these are really not things that bug me very much but the purist in me does go "ehh?" at.

No Ravenclaw common room: I was looking forward to seeing that.

No confrontation with the Carrows: These guys were mentioned in passing and we really didnt see them. Did they even have lines?

Dumbledore/Aberforth backstory: I get why this was left out for the most part. The film wasnt allowing it. It would have been a bit too tedious to explain all of that. But still, it WOULD have been cool to have it in there.

Fred's death off screen: Yeah i think this is my only major beef. And its not even that major, but still. We should have seen Fred die in front of Harry.

No teenage Snape and Lily: Would have been real nice but i think the way TPT was played out was really really great.

Lack of Lupin/Tonks and Teddy: Lupin having a child was only mentioned in the forest scene. I was hoping to see Lupin burst in at Shell Cottage to tell us about the birth. Oh well.

Lavender dying: This kinda bugged me. It was really sad in a subtle way. Its never stated if she dies in the book and i assumed she lived. I do think the Trewlawney with Parvati bit was touching though.

Neville's speech in front of Voldy: Yeahhh...a little corny and odd that Voldy just stands there and lets him say it. Plus i did want to see the sorting hat and Neville be on fire thing.

Lack of exposition on why Harry survived: Again not a big deal and again, the film wasnt allowing it, but it should have been a bit clearer.

Harry Not repairing his wand: Minor one there.

That is all.

I voted 10/10

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!

Last edited by Slartibartfast; July 16th, 2011 at 6:23 am.
Old July 16th, 2011, 7:56 am
First Year

Great film saw it twice so far. Cant complain really.

Minor things
Ron not reacting when Harry was off to the forrest. Although I do beileve Ron was shocked I dont think it matters He needed to react. I think they could have showed harry looking at Ron and Hermione on the staircase and then deciding not to tell them.

Wish they would have had even 5 more minutes of just battle between all the characters of DA

Wish they would have had Lupin/Harry scene. Also A scene I wanted in the part 1 at Grimmauld Place.

They decided to not really mention Harry as the master of the Hallows. many movie-goers that havent read the books may not even know the cloak Hary has was one of the Hallows.

Audience laughed at points when they shouldnt have like Voldemort weird laugh when Harry's dead. Or in the epilogue when they characters appeared. Very minor but kinda deflated the mood

Great Things

Emma Watson. Part 1 she was unbieliveble and delivers again.

Mcgongall after being pretty much absent the last 3 films has a very nice comeback in a way.

Princes Tale was done brilliantly as well was kings cross.

Many feel gringotts was rushed but I didnt feel that at all.

Comedy was just in the right places

Deaths were done good. everyone has thier fav characters and wished some of them had more heroic deaths but it would have been to corny that way and not true to the books.\

Voldy/Harry battle although not true to the books I really like even though the jump off the cliff scene was hmmm different. I like the way the book had it for a book and I liked the way the movie had it for a movie if he would have just died like he did in the books many viewers would Be like "wow all that hype for this"? Overall it was done well.

Although I have never been a big supporter of the epilogue I did like it how they did it in the movies even though some audience members chuckled at the sight of all them grown up. Chocolate frog was a nice touch almost a deja vu remembering the last 10 years.

Overall a great movie. One of my top 3 in the series still cant decide bewteen POA,DHP1,DHP2

Very sad to see it come to an end.

Even though It has ended. Harry Potter Will Live on Forever.......

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:39 am
First Year

I just have a few omissions that I thought were important to the story and would have been for better action scenes.

Mcgongall and Snape's duel was lackluster

Her 3 body patronus was left out

they never show the "good" guys use the unforgivable curses

The four heads of house are great wizards in their field, yet they hardly did anything

Maggie and Bellatrix's duel was lackluster

shacklebolt, Mcgongall, and slughorn dueling voldemort no where to be seen!!

Neville was a cocky in the movie, but without sprout being involved they had nothing for him to do but the stupid blowing up the bridge scene

No cloak? he wore it so that ron and hermoine wouldn’t stop him because he knew they would

Leaving out Dumbledore story was not in any way important for the movie, but it would have been nice for readers to see

Neville's grandma fighting death eaters would have been a nice comic relief moment instead of after Mcgongall performs one of the most important spells of the fight

overall i did like this movie a lot, but i was expecting a true-to-life adaption considering they had two movies to do it AND they left out a significant battle scene in the half blood prince.

Anyone want an HBO miniseries in the HP world?

feel free to reply, willing to discuss any points

Old July 16th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Third Year

I keep using the word 'epic' to describe this movie. I feel so satisfied with how the movie series has ended and for once I feel like there are many more positive aspects than negative.

The exposition at Shell Cottage was actually well explained, IMO. I felt it was easy to understand for any non-book reader.

Gringotts was perfect. Helena Bonham Carter's Bellatrix as Hermione was amazing. I actually felt like it was Emma in really good make-up she was that good! The Imperio was a little off to me, as it didn't seem like they fully had control over the goblin, more like he was put in an oblivious state. I loved the multiplying treasure and Griphook's, "I said I would get you in...I didn't say anything about getting you out!" There were a few "Oh snap!"s from the audience.

Aberforth was perfectly cast and I thought his scene went over well. I actually wasn't too disappointed in the lack of Dumbledore's backstory, though I did find it weird that they mentioned Ariana but had no story about her. I'm glad that they mentioned the mirror belonged to Sirius because I was afraid they weren't going to.

I didn't like how the RoR and the DA wasn't really explained, but I guess you could infer what's going on there. (And why were Cho and Luna already there?) Though there was some well placed humor there.

Snape's speech in the Great Hall followed by Harry's entrance and McGonagall vs Snape was fantastic! Cannot say enough good about that!

Dame Maggie Smith did justice to McGonagall; she was so strong, powerful, and a total BA. And I loved her line about Seamus having an affinity for pyrotechnics

Evana Lynch's "You listen to me Harry Potter!" was beautiful and so perfectly delivered.

I'm glad that they decided to show Ron and Hermione in the Chamber instead of just telling us like in the book. I stayed completely spoiler free this movie so I had no idea the kiss was coming, but I felt it was done justice- minus the angle it was shown in. I also kind of missed Harry's "Oi! There's a war going on here!" from the book.

I found Voldemort's message hurting everyone's head an interesting interpretation, yet still likeable. It didn't seem as threatening as his voice booming out over the grounds, but still terrifying.

Again, being spoiler free, I didn't know the changes to Snape's death, just that there was a change, but I felt it didn't ruin the scene at all. (Plus, I was expecting it to be bigger than a change in location). Alan Rickman's "Look at me" was heart-wrenching...and I'm not even a Snape fan.

I'm fine with not seeing the deaths of Remus, Tonks, and Fred because it is the way Harry sees it and we can empathize with him in the same way. But I wish they had shown them longer; I couldn't even tell it was Tonks and due to her underdeveloped character in the movie, I probably wouldn't have even know it was her. Ron and George's reaction to Fred's death was so emotional though. Rupert stepped it up about a zillion notches.

The Prince's Tale. Probably the best scene in all of the series, and again, I'm not a Snape fan. I wish they had shown more of Snape and Lily as kids, but that's just personal preference. Everything was so well explained and Alan Rickman deserves and Oscar nomination for his performance here. It was so so SO emotional and I broke down seeing him holding Lily after she died.

Next best scene was Harry's walk in the forest. Reading this scene had me bawling and I was worse watching it come to life. So beautiful, so moving, so emotional, so loving. So many amazing things to say about this scene and Dan's performance.

Voldemort killing Harry was exactly as it should be.

I was kind of confused that the importance of Voldemort using Harry's blood to be reborn wasn't explained, but Lily's love protection was well done. Dumbledore played his part well here, I thought. I wasn't expecting the scene to be that bright- I could barely tell that they were at King's Cross, but nbd. The bloody Voldemort soul was so disgusting and creepy- as it should have been. It's weird, but I didn't like Harry's clothes here. I know they weren't going to show him nude, but he could have been wearing Hogwarts robes or a "neater" all white outfit than t-shirt and jeans.

Voldemort's little dance and attempt at hugging Draco was hilarious.

Harry's return was epic...even though he ran away from Voldemort.

"Not my daughter, you *****!" Perfect delivery, and while their battle was shorter than I expected, it was no less epic.

Someone said "Neville is the man" and I'm going to join the bandwagon and say NEVILLE IS THE MAN. Totally awesome.

Voldemort vs Harry was awesome. I wasn't too fond of when they fell off a cliff and when Harry killed Voldemort away from everyone else, but I can understand it from a cinematic perspective. I'm still undecided on how I feel about Voldemort bursting into little pieces; I'll have to let it sink in.

Neville and Luna...no thank you.

I don't care that Harry snapped the Elder Wand, but he should have repaired his own first!

The epilogue was great. I thought it would have been longer, but the important part was there and it was beautiful.

EPIC. No other word to describe this movie. By no means perfect, but pretty darn close and a fantastic way to end the series.

Hufflepuff Pride
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies