Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Do you think Steve Kloves did a good job?

Old September 29th, 2011, 5:59 pm
Second Year

Re: Do you think Steve Kloves did a good job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
My own humble view of the films in that, for what they ended up being they were decent. I think way too much vital information was left out, focus, especially in HBP, was not kept on Harry's journey and a lot was lost in translation from book to film. A lot of this has to do, to me, with the fact that they began filming before the producers knew where the story was going so - though they did receive guidance from JKR - they let vital details fall by the wayside.
What HBP the worse script? Really do you think it like that? I think it is actually the best and it is condidered a very good script in general. Except for a pair of memories, that Kloves had actually written but Yates decided to keep out, I think it is perfect, nothing else of very important is left out, scenes work perfectly imo, Harry's obsession with Malfoy and the book really emerges making really similar to the book, all of the main themes are put very nicely and as a film I just think it is great. Ok yeah they could have made it 10-15 minutes longer and could have got the burning burrow scene out of the way but really except for those two what is there of wrong, try watching the deleted scenes too, if there was an extended version I think it would be simply perfect. The humorism inserted in there is well-working too since in the book there is lots too. Actually I personally belive it isn't enough since there should be more Hermione Ron fights and obvioulsy more Harry/Ginny, even though I think that some non-canon scenes make it good. Lastly, yeah, Dumdldore's funeral but the ending was great too imo.

To sum it up the only complaints I can think of are:
-Missing 2-3 memories
-Burrow burning scene
-Harry/Ginny
-DD Funeral
[-Quidditch??]

Try getting a list of the other films it would be at least the double longer, I think that Kloves best job was in HBP and maybe DH1.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2011, 7:21 pm
First Year

The films are fantastic and wonderfully written. Mediocre directing places some at the end f the pack. (the first two, and the fourth.) and wonky editing keeps one from being as great as it should have been (five.) But man oh man, Kloves killed it on all but one of the flicks. Most of my friends don't read Potter and love the movies, and have no problems following along to the plot. Sure they don't know some thing (much about the Marauders etc.) but they have no trouble understanding what's going on. Colombus wanted everything in the first two movies, and they suffered for it. Cuaron wanted his movie to be about Harry, and told Kloves to lose the rest. The other films follow this lead, and they're much tighter and cleaner. If you want the books, read the books.

All of the main trio are more likable in the films. Seriously, Ron and Harry can be annoying as heck in the books, with Hermione only a little less so. I think the films do a great job of showing Harry and Ron's friendship even without spending as much time on it as the books can. The scripts and the actors do a great job showcasing a true, deep friendship. Dialogue, looks between the two, etc.

No way do the films attempt to portray Hermione and Harry into each other romantically. You'll only see that if you'e determined to. If any relationship suffers in the films it's Harry and Ginny. I never really see why they would end up married.

Also, someone spoke of some scenes (tendril robe, Voldy death) as being shot to look impressive in 3d. Well, they didn't know the film would be in 3d when they shot it, so...

Anyways, I love the films almost as much as i love the books. I don't think there's any problems with any of the scripts, and the only problems with someone the movies I have fall into the Directors hands. I also think people need to realize plot holes are not the same thing as leaving things out. I can only think of a couple plot holes (all of them minor) while someone said the movies were filled with them.

Old September 29th, 2011, 8:15 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFloo162 View Post
Most of my friends don't read Potter and love the movies, and have no problems following along to the plot. Sure they don't know some thing (much about the Marauders etc.) but they have no trouble understanding what's going on. Colombus wanted everything in the first two movies, and they suffered for it. Cuaron wanted his movie to be about Harry, and told Kloves to lose the rest. The other films follow this lead, and they're much tighter and cleaner. If you want the books, read the books.

All of the main trio are more likable in the films. Seriously, Ron and Harry can be annoying as heck in the books, with Hermione only a little less so. I think the films do a great job of showing Harry and Ron's friendship even without spending as much time on it as the books can.
Also, someone spoke of some scenes (tendril robe, Voldy death) as being shot to look impressive in 3d. Well, they didn't know the film would be in 3d when they shot it, so...
I have to disagree on some points with you...
I don't agree that when you only watch movies you have no trouble understanding what's going on.
In few first movies, no, I think. Yes, many things happen, but everything is pretty clear and explained.

However I've recently watched Deathly Hallows, both parts, a loooong time after reading books - that I forgot some details (I've reread all the books later after, in last 2 months.) And no - many things are confusing. I remember asking myself - "where the hell did that broken mirror come", for example. After watching Deatly Hallows, first part, I remember I've been really consfused in many things.
Then I've reread the book again, and a lot was explained.

So - there's much stuff missing, especially in latest movies - and no, they are not clear. I'm pretty sure, because I have no trouble understanding any books or movies usually, but I did watch Deathly hallowes receltny - from a really close perspective as someone who didn't read books, at it was such a loing time (since Deatly Hallows were released). I even had some minor advantage, as I did read the books - but no, so many things were rushed and confusing.
While in a few first movies, that I've also watched years after reading the books, everything was pretty clear.

This again really depends on personal taste - but I've find Hermione really annoying - booh in books and movies.
In movies at first it was because of her lines, but later (Goblet of Fire and later movies), even because Iof the actress.

Last edited by Rhaenys; September 29th, 2011 at 8:18 pm.
Old September 29th, 2011, 8:17 pm
Fourth Year

It is better to keep as much of the book in the movie as u can though because that is where the movie is being made from

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Cuaron wanted his movie to be about Harry, and told Kloves to lose the rest. The other films follow this lead, and they're much tighter and cleaner. If you want the books, read the books.
I agree that the movies should have been focused on Harry's story and that the stories in the films did improve because of this, but I still feel like HBP suffered because of the focus of the film -> the love triangles rather than Dumbledore grooming Harry and teaching him how to understand Voldemort which is KEY to how Harry defeats him in the books.

And yes, I also agree that if you want the books, read the books. But frankly there have been better book to screen adaptations that did pear down superfluous stories to just the main character(s) (I'm talking LOTRs which lost a TON of material but cinematically works very well - PJ didn't try to 'please everybody' like it seems Kloves did)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotoc_Sabbath View Post
What HBP the worse script? Really do you think it like that? I think it is actually the best and it is condidered a very good script in general. Except for a pair of memories, that Kloves had actually written but Yates decided to keep out, I think it is perfect, nothing else of very important is left out.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed HBP the movie (answered the 13-year-old girl in me's wishes to see Ron and Hermione squabble but the 26-year-old girl in me's desire that they can work it out and get together already!) I just don't think Harry is where he needs to be by the end of the movie like he is in the books. (Have you read the article on MN.com about the differences between book harry and movie harry? excellent article!) His maturity level is way too low, his leadership skills are virtually non-existant and he figgin' just stands there and watches Dumbledore die where in the books he has to be physically/magically restrained.

In the overall arc of the movies I think the gravity of Harry's situation shouldn't have taken a back seat like it did to the teenage drama. Okay, maybe it's in the passenger seat, not the back seat, but it's not the one driving the movie so i'm not a huge fan. =^/

I think the major issue with all of the films up to DHp1 was that they didn't know how the book, and therefore the movie, was going to end. Had they had all the facts they could have written cleaner scripts, tighter stories and the films would have been better for it.

Old September 30th, 2011, 2:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post

I think the major issue with all of the films up to DHp1 was that they didn't know how the book, and therefore the movie, was going to end. Had they had all the facts they could have written cleaner scripts, tighter stories and the films would have been better for it.
I agree with that.
But didn't Rowling give any hints to them?
It doesn't really seem that way. If they''ve knew the ending, they could have focused more on things that are important and that are developed more in last books, and ignore a few things that were not that much important.

Btw, could you please give a link to that article on MN.com about the differences between book harry and movie harry?

Old September 30th, 2011, 6:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotter17 View Post
It is better to keep as much of the book in the movie as u can though because that is where the movie is being made from

No screenwriter will ever agree with that statement. It is best to capture the feel and spirit of whatever work you are adapting to film. Not to be a slave to the material.

I love HBP. One of the strongest films IMO. I love it, love it, love it. Beautiful to look at, and I love the romance stuff. It's nice to see the kids being kids and falling in and out of "love". It brought a sense of normalcy before the big push of the final two movies.

Also, I'm not sure why the one person used the mirror as evidence of the movies being confusing. They explain it was Sirius' in the second part itself. I get that there's more to it in the book, but you can just assume Harry got it from either Sirius himself or the house before Filch stole it. It really doesn't matter. It's not confusing by any means. As I said, I wasn't simply speaking my opinion on that matter, NONE of my friends who have seen the movies but haven't read the books (most of them) had no problems following the plot. Wanting something to be in the movies that isn't in the books doesn't mean that without it the films are hard to follow, it means film viewers aren't getting as much background info. Most of (if not all) of that info is superfluous.

The Harry Potter flicks are kind of amazing when you really think about it, in that they turned out as great as they did. It was no easy feat for anyone involved.

Old September 30th, 2011, 7:23 am
First Year

Quote:
No screenwriter will ever agree with that statement. It is best to capture the feel and spirit of whatever work you are adapting to film. Not to be a slave to the material.

I love HBP. One of the strongest films IMO. I love it, love it, love it. Beautiful to look at, and I love the romance stuff. It's nice to see the kids being kids and falling in and out of "love". It brought a sense of normalcy before the big push of the final two movies.

Also, I'm not sure why the one person used the mirror as evidence of the movies being confusing. They explain it was Sirius' in the second part itself. I get that there's more to it in the book, but you can just assume Harry got it from either Sirius himself or the house before Filch stole it. It really doesn't matter. It's not confusing by any means. As I said, I wasn't simply speaking my opinion on that matter, NONE of my friends who have seen the movies but haven't read the books (most of them) had no problems following the plot. Wanting something to be in the movies that isn't in the books doesn't mean that without it the films are hard to follow, it means film viewers aren't getting as much background info. Most of (if not all) of that info is superfluous.

The Harry Potter flicks are kind of amazing when you really think about it, in that they turned out as great as they did. It was no easy feat for anyone involved.
I mentioned the glass, it was only one example - I forgot the others. I would have to rewatch Deathly Hallows to remember...
About the mirror - even if they explain it in the second part, you still watch the first part of Deathly hallows without an explanation - and that's one movie, a whole. It should stand better itself - but it doesn't.
I didn't mean that you can't understand the basic plot of movie - but there are stuff left unexplained, that are important, at least that's how I saw it. And you cant' say it doesn't matter as the glass becomes really important in the movie. I did manage to follow the plot, of course. But if you think when watching a movie (and I do) you really ask yourself where does it come from suddenly. And some other things that aren't really explained.
If you look at the thread " What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?" in this forums, you can see that there are things left unexplained. (No, I didn't think that Snape was Harry's dad. Just kidding a bit.)

I don't think that everything from the books should be in the movies.
I even do like most of the Harry Potter movies, and it's hard for me to tell which ones are my favorite.
But I do think there are some flaws in last movies, expecially Deathly Hallows, part one, and I think that movie and script could have been done better. Nevertheless, I still like it.

I agree that Harry Potter movies turned out amazing and that it wasn't easy for anyone involved - that doesn't mean they couldn't have been better.

Last edited by Rhaenys; September 30th, 2011 at 8:09 am.
Old September 30th, 2011, 8:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Of course it's an unimportant detail, but my sister wondered why Snape was the Half-Blood Prince . . . If it was explained in the movie, we missed it.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 30th, 2011, 8:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Of course it's an unimportant detail, but my sister wondered why Snape was the Half-Blood Prince . . . If it was explained in the movie, we missed it.
Why he was called the Half-Blood Prince? No, that was never explained in the films. Of course, the search for the Prince's identity gets very short shrift in the film; all I can remember is a comment or two from Hermione as the trio are walking to The Three Broomsticks. (I don't go back as far as Slughorn, but I can remember when it was Two Broomsticks, nevertheless.)

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old September 30th, 2011, 2:00 pm
Registered Animagus

I think the biggest issue with the mirror is explaining what it is. I mean Harry carries around a shard of glass throughout the first film and they never even say what it is for. That it is a two way mirror and i don't think it is at all obvious what Harry is looking at in it. It also seems extremely random that Harry just has the mirror out of nowhere. It is badly done.

Old September 30th, 2011, 2:15 pm
First Year

I guess we just won't agree on the mirror lol. I don't see a problem with how they did it. Of course, it would maybe have helped if JK had told them to be sure to include it in the fifth flick, but I really don't see how anyone can be that confused by what it's used for. They show someone looking through it multiple times, Harry yells for help near the end of PART 1 (I emphasize part 1 because it's the first pat of a two party story. There is obviously going to be some things paid off in the second half that you don't know in the first, much like Kill Bill part 1 and 2. ) It's a moot point to me really. It's just a mirror and a shard used to keep an eye on Harry. If you can't get that watching the flicks I don't know what else they could have really done.

Old September 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Registered Animagus

A bizarre shot of someones eye does not explain that it is a two way mirror in my opinion. If i hadn't seen screencaps of Aberforth's eye in the mirror before i saw the film i would not have known what he was looking at. And they only show him looking back once i think at the beginning. They should have had Harry have a conversation about what the mirror is with someone. Clearly what they should have done is introduce the mirror earlier on in the series, but what they did was not an explanation at all in my opinion. And i don't really think they needed to explain that it was from Sirius just explain what it is so everyone isn't thinking why is Harry looking into that piece of glass.

Old September 30th, 2011, 3:29 pm
First Year

My friend who only watched the movie leaned over during the first one and whispered "I wonder who's keeping an eye on him." I really don't think they need to dumb things down. Granted my friend isn't everyone in the world, but if he understood it right away I'm sure the majority of people did. As someone noted earlier, the first rule of thumb your taught when you begin to get into screenwriting is you show not tell. Don't use dialogue for something you can show. Harry sitting an talking to someone about the mirror would have been considered bad writing. Alas, this is the last thing I'll say on the subject, since we're just going to be talking in circles! lol.

Old September 30th, 2011, 6:28 pm
First Year

Most of my non-reading friends like the movies and don't ever ask me about anything. However, I have to correct some misinterpretations sometimes, but it just amuses me to show my HP-nerdyness. And my friends have never said a bad thing about the movies. Why is that? I have a theory. I have maybe 2 friends who actually have read the series as a whole and my impression is that it actually is the readers that have the most complaints. And we sure have the rights to! No, but I think us readers should try to see the movies as non-readers, who in my experience seem to really enjoy them as they are.

So the movies can't be all that bad as we think if my theory is right, as those muggles seem to enjoy them. We know the books offer so much more and therefor we get frustrated when we don't have the same feeling for the movies.

I still think the movies could've been better but which movies could not? I believe movies are for a short while entertainment and are easier to let go off than books. This I believe because, except for the Harry Potter movies, I hardly ever have an unresistable urge to watch a movie which I do have for reading books (the Harry Potter books for the latest years xD).

Steve Kloves did a splendid job, seeing as people have appreciated all the movies somewhat to the same extent, and to make 8 movies during 10 years and having every movie so successful is brilliant. Now half of the credit should go to Jo Rowling of course but nevertheless, it isn't an easy job to maintain the quality needed for audiences to come back year, after year, after year.

Last edited by NightStrike91; October 2nd, 2011 at 1:39 pm.
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:30 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaenys View Post
I agree with that.
But didn't Rowling give any hints to them?
It doesn't really seem that way. If they''ve knew the ending, they could have focused more on things that are important and that are developed more in last books, and ignore a few things that were not that much important.

Btw, could you please give a link to that article on MN.com about the differences between book harry and movie harry?
Yes, JKR did supposedly tell them things that would be important later on, most notably in pulling Rickman aside and 'telling him something about his character' but I only remember hearing this about the earlier movies.

The article on MN.com is called "Half Baked Price/Half Baked Harry by Lady Lupin. I can't get a direct link to the article that will work so just search the name above and it will come up or at least a link to it.

Old October 1st, 2011, 11:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Though some of the information wasn't great that JKR gave them. Like keeping Kreacher. I mean really they could have cut Kreacher completely and had them learn another way about the locket.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 3:20 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStrike91 View Post
Steve Kloves did a splendid job, seeing as people have appreciated all the movies somewhat to the same extent, and to make 8 movies during 10 years and having every movie so successful is brilliant.
Minor quibble but Kloves only wrote seven scripts. OotP was penned by Michael Goldenberg.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 2nd, 2011, 8:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Though some of the information wasn't great that JKR gave them. Like keeping Kreacher. I mean really they could have cut Kreacher completely and had them learn another way about the locket.
Actually if they didn't another way there would have been a major disappointment in the book fans. And this is the big issue with Kloves: he never decided who to target with the scripts: book fans or normal people. This is way there are various problems with the understanding in the stories in films: he inserted bits and pieces to make the book fans happy but never really added the final bit to make them completely happy and that is why people who didn't read the books find it hard to follow some parts whicha re disconnected with the film plots.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 1:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Minor quibble but Kloves only wrote seven scripts. OotP was penned by Michael Goldenberg.
And IMO that just strengthens the fact that Kloves job was brilliant.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies