Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will the movies endure the test of time, or be forgotten once the books finish?

Old August 10th, 2006, 4:07 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The Movies will die when the books are done.

You mean there are people out there who will just stay home when the 7th movie comes out? Really?

I can't imagine not going, personally. I'm too vested in the story and characters. Book 7, with the final confrontation between Harry & Voldemort, and tying up all the loose ends -- I'd want to see the visualization on that no matter what.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Third Year

The movie's won't die when the books are all released. LOTR books were all released years ago, same with Narnia and people still flocked to those. Same will happen with HP.

Old August 10th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Zonko's Employee

If you compiled a list of "most popular" films, whether of all time or of any one year, something like 40% would not be based on books at all, and 40% might be based on material which has been in publication for decades, leaving 20% or less based upon the lastest here-today-gone-tomorrow best seller.

Titantic - original screenplay
LOTR - books nearly 50 years old
Narnia - books nearly 50 years old
The Sixth Sense - original screenplay
Star Wars - original screenplays

And so on.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old August 10th, 2006, 8:21 pm
First Year

i think the movies will remain just as popular, if not more so, after the books are done. first of all, without a new book to look forward to, HP fans will flock to the movies in droves. secondly, reading it and using your imagination is one thing, seeing it actually acted out is a whole different experience. i think fans will be eager to see how the director completes JK's vision. its like LOTR, i read the books many times during my childhood, but there is nothing like seeing those scenes come to life.
i think after the final movie, there will be even more of an outcry for JK to continue writing stories either for harry or within the wizarding world (harry's kids, a prequel, etc.).

Old August 10th, 2006, 9:23 pm
First Year

Book readers flock to these movies, even though they know the book's story by heart (including the ending). Why would they stop going to the movies once they know the SERIES by heart (including the ending)?

Old August 10th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo
When I'm done reading book 7, I will be anxiously awaiting Films 6 and 7.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not someone who you can call a Harry Potter movie fan in anyway but after book 7 comes out and we all read it, most of us will feel empty. The movies will be even more succesful if you ask me. The fans who never read the books will still go, those who read the books but don't see the movies probably will, and those who do read the books and watch the movies will most defintely watch them.

Maybe the 7th book will reach titanic $ because everyone is desperate for Harry Potter something.

Old August 15th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Fourth Year

I don't think that the movies will die because well they rule and many people like to reread the books.

Old December 1st, 2006, 1:52 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152 View Post
I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me. The movies before book 7 will be great, but many (me very likely included) would think: "Huh, what's the point?"
So I think that filmakers will aknoledge this, and will try to cram in movies 5 and 6 before book 7 appears. Then the whole movies will disintagrate.
I love the books way more then any of the films. I personally could never see me having the same love for one of the movies like I do for the books BUT, I truly do love the POA movie, but as a film. I see it as a different telling of a story I love and I don't see that I will ever stop enjoying it.

There has been many times, even now, that I feel the need to get a "dose" of Harry Potter. It is a lot easier and quicker to take some time out and watch the films then it is to read all of the books. I re-read the series at least once a year, but between times I watch the films.

Just because book 7 will be coming out I don't see either of those things changing for me.

Emotional Landscapes
Old December 1st, 2006, 2:00 pm
Second Year

Well ofcourse they will be seen less but I'm sure they still have alot of fans. Me personally will go watch all the movies just because I'm curious on how they are. I'll keep rereading the books when I've read book 7 because I want to know if I oversaw some small clue. So I'll still/will be a major HP fan probably long pas film 7 is out. I think you're right in saying there'll be less people but I'm sure they make great profit out of them.

Old December 1st, 2006, 2:11 pm
Registered Animagus

I don't mean to be rude here, but working on that logic, the Lord of the Rings shouldn't have won over 20 oscars for the entire trilogy, and Eragon's just about had it 2 weeks before it's released. If you look at the box office today, 6 out of the top ten are usually adapted from books.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old December 1st, 2006, 2:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
I don't mean to be rude here, but working on that logic, the Lord of the Rings shouldn't have won over 20 oscars for the entire trilogy, and Eragon's just about had it 2 weeks before it's released. If you look at the box office today, 6 out of the top ten are usually adapted from books.
You're not rude you're just giving facts against this logic in my opinion you're partly right but partly wrong I just can't explain the 'wrong' part.

Old December 1st, 2006, 2:19 pm
First Year

I think that once the last movie comes out, we'll look through all the books and say 'Oh!! Thats what that was....'..
Plus NO-ONE will get bored of Harry, mugglenet will invent summit.....probably....

Old December 1st, 2006, 3:01 pm
Second Year

i disagree.i understand where you're coming from yet many people have become fans of the movies as well as the books.this is thanks to the actors,in my opinion the people who haven't read the books have seen the movies and are more familiar to the movies then the books as the latter are more time consuming. i personally saw the movie before beginning to read the books, but i am now a bigger fan of the books then the movies.it only logical that a person would choose sitting down and watching a 2 hour movie then spending 2 or more weeks rereading the books, this is because we value time more these days and our busy schedules don't allow us to give time to leisure reading. i wish i had time to take a break and read the books again but if it isn't college then my social life takes up what time i have free.

Old December 1st, 2006, 3:13 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
I couldn't agree more. Lord of the Rings was the first series to pop in my head. Like many people said, the average HP movie goer hasn't read the books, so if they want to see how it all ends, they'll go to the movies. As a fanantical Hp fan, I'm always excited to see how the film makers translate the books into movies.
BTW, I don't think a lot of people who only see the movies, realize there is only one more book to be released. (Many non book readers I have talked to didn't know this.) So the timing of books to movies really doesn't matter to them.

Old December 1st, 2006, 3:22 pm
Third Year

No, they will not die.

First, many people donīt read the books, and just see the movies.
Or read just pieces of the book, but then see all the movies.

Second, at least me, I will be waiting for the last movie no matter if I have read the books.

By the way, many people havenīt read the LOTR book trilogy, but saw all the movies. This is not the case, neither LOTR nor Harry Potter.

Old December 1st, 2006, 4:42 pm
Second Year

Well, I don't know. I mean, I do what you do; see the movies in between the books. But, I know many people who don't read the books and just see the movies. Personally, I think that is a majority of people who enjoy Harry Potter. As Wizard Pupil said, Lord of the Rings did very very well in the box office even though most people didn't read the books. I wasn't a fan of them, and neither the books even though I went to see it. Just to add, I wasn't a Harry Potter fan until I saw the first movie and then I thought to myself "Why not try the book?" Well, that's what I did and now I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan! I've read all of the books multiple times and I've seen the movies... well, so many times I can't count. Personally, I'm going to see all the movies no matter what.

-Simon

"Well- it's just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that I am going to - what is the phrase - come quietly. I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutly no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course - but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing."
-- Albus Dumbledore
Old December 1st, 2006, 4:44 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Lord of the Rings was the first series to pop in my head. Like many people said, the average HP movie goer hasn't read the books, so if they want to see how it all ends, they'll go to the movies. As a fanantical Hp fan, I'm always excited to see how the film makers translate the books into movies.
BTW, I don't think a lot of people who only see the movies, realize there is only one more book to be released. (Many non book readers I have talked to didn't know this.) So the timing of books to movies really doesn't matter to them.
Exactly. You'll always have an audience of fanticial HP fans who will watch all the movies regardless of whether all the books have been released or not. Then, as has been pointed out already, you'll have another audience who either just watch the films and don't read the books, or who are fanatical about the actors... and I could go on. Basically, regardless of whether the series of books has finished by the release of the 7th book or not, the whole concept and media franchise and fanbase of Harry Potter has simply grown too big to flop. You will pretty much have a huge audience guaranteed for every Potter film. Every single Potter film is in the list of the top 20 highest worldwide-grossing films. 3 of the 4 are in the top ten. You can't argue with that.

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:40 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152 View Post
I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me. The movies before book 7 will be great, but many (me very likely included) would think: "Huh, what's the point?"
So I think that filmakers will aknoledge this, and will try to cram in movies 5 and 6 before book 7 appears. Then the whole movies will disintagrate.
Oh I seriously doubt that. There are lots of people who watch the movies who don't read the books. My brothers are like that, I don't think either of them have read any of the books. I know one for sure hasn't as he makes fun of me for reading books when he thinks movies are so much better. Oy. I just smile and nod.

But I don't watch the movies to fill time between books. I watch the movies because I genuinely enjoy them as a separate entity from the books. I got interested in Harry Potter from watching the movies and didn't pick up any of the books until after I had seen the second. I think it would be a small number of people who feel as you do.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 9:02 am
Fourth Year

Oh brother....wow....

The movies will not change. They will be the same. James Bond novels (Fleming's I mean) ended at his death, and yet the movies had taken on a life of their own, and so have the HP movies. They are duel canon, just like Bond. One finishes, the other continues. Simple.

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:06 am
Sixth Year

There's an interesting concept. Imagine if they kept making Harry Potter movies like they made James Bond movies, not based on the books, new scripts and ideas with an adult Harry Potter.

Actually, I like that idea a lot!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies