Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Will the movies endure the test of time, or be forgotten once the books finish?

Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:32 am
Seventh Year

Re: The Movies will die when the books are done.

I don't think that it will be a problem having the films continue. I also think that they will still be popular with the movie goers if they keep up the storytelling that has been in the last films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
When I'm done reading book 7, I will be anxiously awaiting Films 6 and 7.
Absolutely, I want to see what the filmmakers do with the last films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletSmethwyk View Post
Book readers flock to these movies, even though they know the book's story by heart (including the ending). Why would they stop going to the movies once they know the SERIES by heart (including the ending)?
I'm not going to stop going.
The books and the films are similar, but because of the adaptation there are variables and I want to see how they finish the films, how the characters in the movie cope.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:06 pm
Fourth Year

Heh, if JK lets them and Harry lives, then yeah, it'd be sort of interesting. Doubtful, but interesting.

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:13 pm
First Year

A little pesemistic are we not? i don't think they will die. harry potter will definetly be loved for ages to come, like so many other things.

Live. Laugh. Love.
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 7:29 pm
Second Year

Nooooo harry potter is going to go down in history! it's one of those things that will never be forgotten and will become a classic like 'huckleberry finn' and tom sawyer.......things like harry potter don't come around often...its phenomenal and Jo won't be forgotten either....and besides, we all know were gonna be making our kids read it when we grow up! :-)

Old January 5th, 2007, 2:40 pm
First Year

I love both the books and the films, so i feel i'll be eagerly awaiting films 6 & 7 well after i've finished reading book 7. The idea of them carrying on making movies without books...if they did it well in keeping with JK Rowlings wonderful story and characters, why not? Would give us all something to do for the rest of our lives hahahahaha!

Old January 5th, 2007, 3:43 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Emperor View Post
Heh, if JK lets them and Harry lives, then yeah, it'd be sort of interesting. Doubtful, but interesting.
I don't think JK can stop them now, hasn't she signed a contract?
I am convinced that Harry is going to live, but even if he doesn't the films should be worth watching.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old January 5th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Fourth Year

I seriously, seriously doubt it. The movies themselves are a different entity. How many fans out there do you think are just seeing the movies, and not reading the books?

The films, also, CAN be works of art. They CAN be, not just "Harry Potter films," but "films," if they're done in the right way, remembered for their own sakes. *Bring back Cuaron! Bring back Cuaron!*

So, in short, definitely no.

Old January 5th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDayBut2Day View Post
I seriously, seriously doubt it. The movies themselves are a different entity. How many fans out there do you think are just seeing the movies, and not reading the books?
You are almost certainly correct, although one might ask: "What do you mean by 'fan'?" Most of the people who see Harry Potter (or James Bond or Spider-Man or who saw Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, etc.) are not "fans." They enjoy the movies and find them entertaining, but they do not buy or read the books. They certainly are not fans like we are.

When The DaVinci Code debuted last spring, Sony's survey asked whether people had read the book. After all, 40 million copies had been sold worldwide, which is (by coincidence) nearly identical to the number of copies that PSS had sold by November 2001. It was about 50%. Of course, that proportion dropped: people who had read and liked the book were much more apt to rush out and see the movie than were others.

With Harry Potter, the movies sell about 5 times as many tickets as the books sell copies. Given that HP fans buy only a proportion of the books (a lot of casual readers buy them, too), this means that fans necessarily are a minority of the audience. WB wishes that they were a bigger minority: however, the Columbus films scared away non-fans in particular.

So, what does this mean for the movies? Simply that the end of the book series will have very little effect on the movie series. Interest in Order of the Phoenix is very high right now. Why? Well, partly because of news about Deathly Hallows. However, it also is due to the popularity of the last two movies. (By comparison, in January 2002, Chamber of Secrets was ranked as the 4th most anticipated film of 2002, after Two Towers, Attack of the Clones and even the Bond movie!)

So, if Order is a good (or at least popular) movie, then interest in HBP will be remain high. If Order and then HBP are good, then interest in DH will be high.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; January 5th, 2007 at 8:27 pm.
Old January 5th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Second Year

Anyone who has seen the first 4 movies will want to see the last three. Plus, new people start reading/watching this series everyday. The interest in the movies will definitely remain until they are all released.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:06 am
Second Year

I also believe that the movies will remain in time, the books and the movies are separate things, there are people who has never read the books but love the movies and viceversa, and at the same time I think they will go together forever, each person would have their opinion about the two things, but I definitely think that both will remain for a long time, specially the books

Old January 6th, 2007, 4:57 am
Third Year

well, I guess the movies would end as well. the story comes from the books and I believe it wont be as interesting if they will add more harry potter movies. (anyway it's not from JK's imagination)

All Hail me! all Hail me!
Old January 6th, 2007, 5:04 am
Animaga terpsichore

I believe that it just depends on how well each movie had done and how much the people like the movies. But after a while, once the books are finished, they could die down a bit, but I dont think they will die down to where no onw will watch them at all.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old January 6th, 2007, 7:25 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMember152 View Post
I know that now HP is making box office records, but I doubt it will last when the 7th movie premires. Why? Because all the books will be gone. I only watch the movies to fill in the time between the books, and I bet thousands agree with me.
The question is, what will you be doing to fill in time when there are no more new HP books? Unless all fans immediately find something else to be passionately interested in, I suspect many of them would answer-waiting for the next movie to come out.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old January 6th, 2007, 7:35 am
First Year

i have to disagree with you on that i have all six of the books and all four of the movies . i think that the movies will still go strong even after the books are gone.

Old January 6th, 2007, 7:39 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

J. R. R. Tolkien wrote his books in the middle of the last century, and yet people certainly didn't forget all about the Lord of the Rings over the years. I visited alot of LOTR sites just before the first movie came out and I was amazed at the dedication of the fans, and the movies just fired them up even more because it was something else to love about the series.

But I don't know why I was surprised, since I've been reading those books since I was 17.

A phenomenon like Harry Potter isn't going to be forgotten either. My youngest son is eleven and just now reading them for the first time. He's already seen all the movies so far, but he loves the books all the same, and so do his friends. Multiply that by millions of children still to come along, and this fandom will never stop wanting new movies.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the OotP movie whether it comes out before or after Book 7. It's just one more thing to love about the series.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:45 am
Third Year

I think the movies will continue to be successful, because everyone that read the books is going to want to see them. Then there's the people too lazy to read the books, that still like the movies (*cough* my PARENTS *evil glare in their direction*). And it's the 7th movie we're talking about...it's the final one. It's not like the movies are going to be spanning over the next 20 years or anything...it'll be another 2-3 at most. Everyone will be wanting to see how Harry ends!

Old January 7th, 2007, 1:56 am
Second Year

the thing about books is most pepole only raed them once of twice where as a movie you can watch over and over

Old January 7th, 2007, 2:21 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoangel View Post
Anyone who has seen the first 4 movies will want to see the last three. Plus, new people start reading/watching this series everyday. The interest in the movies will definitely remain until they are all released.
Neither of these are necessarily true. Audiences are pretty fickle: it is "what have you done for me lately" in this world, and if people think that Order of the Phoenix is a bad movie, then far fewer people will want to see HalfBlood Prince.

The movies also are not really building audiences all that steadily. The first movie drove away a fifth of the people who saw it. Now, PoA did bring back a few more people: GoF actually sold more tickets because of it. However, GoF still sold only 80% of the tickets that PSS did, and it is improbable that the future movies will put much of a bite into the "Columbus Casualties."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
J. R. R. Tolkien wrote his books in the middle of the last century, and yet people certainly didn't forget all about the Lord of the Rings over the years. I visited alot of LOTR sites just before the first movie came out and I was amazed at the dedication of the fans, and the movies just fired them up even more because it was something else to love about the series.

But I don't know why I was surprised, since I've been reading those books since I was 17.
Actually, my experience was that most of them were getting fired up to hate the movies! Every cut "ruined" the story or the plot, every changed line "diminished" the characters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
A phenomenon like Harry Potter isn't going to be forgotten either. My youngest son is eleven and just now reading them for the first time.
Again, do not be too sure of that! The big book phenomenon of 100 years ago is a trivia question now: you've never heard fo that series. What goes down as the Beatles and what goes down as the Spice Girls is tough to call until years after the fact.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old January 7th, 2007, 4:43 am
First Year

Many people I've encountered dont' read the books. (I know, I don't get it either) The movies are the only way they folllow the story, so for those people, the last book comming out really doesn't mean a hill of beans, because they go by the movies. As for the rest of us, I can only speak for myself, but once the last book comes out, I think I'll be looking forword to the movies even more due to lack of bookage.

Old January 7th, 2007, 6:13 am
Third Year

I think that the movies are going to be around for a while. I know that this month movies 1-3 are going to be pulled out of the shelf. Then by the end of the month movie 4 will also be pulled out. I fell that the reason why the WB will be doing this is so they can make the movie better and sell them again to the public. We are going to go back and they them again because we want to know what was changed.
It makes me think of the Disney movies. They take them out for a while and then they go back to the "vault."

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

ˇViva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies