Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

PoA Appreciation thread

Old March 4th, 2011, 4:19 pm
First Year

Re: PoA Appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePuff003 View Post
I adore this film. It is not only a very good Potter film, it is a very good film in general. However, I do find that fans sometimes say "oh nothing can beat POA!", "No film is even close to beating POA's standards", "POA is the BEST" and that's when I tend to get a little annoyed.

Yes, I think it is a really good addition to the series, but it is not the only good film out of the lot. Alfonso Cuaron, from what I can tell, is a very acclaimed director among fans and critics of the series and he deserves this high praise. But, again, he is not the only director to make a good Potter film - prehaps even a great Potter film.

So that's when it gets on my wick a little; yes, I love POA and I love Cuaron's direction, but I find that David Yates' effort, with HBP especially, has matched up with POA's style yet people tend to shun that film for their own grumblings. Both POA and HBP are, in my opinion, the best films in the series thus far, with POA slightly ahead as it is the film that made me a fan of the series.
I respect your opinion, pal, but I disagree. I hate what David Yates did to HBP. It's my favourite book, and I think Yates kill it. Truly kill it. Nevertheless he did a great job with DH(p1) so I've forgiven him.

PoA, however, I found it to be very good. I think it could have been better... But for a book that had so many things going on at the same time, I think Cuaron did a good job.

Old March 4th, 2011, 4:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafer_Potter View Post
I respect your opinion, pal, but I disagree. I hate what David Yates did to HBP. It's my favourite book, and I think Yates kill it. Truly kill it. Nevertheless he did a great job with DH(p1) so I've forgiven him.

PoA, however, I found it to be very good. I think it could have been better... But for a book that had so many things going on at the same time, I think Cuaron did a good job.
Obviously, I disagree. Half-Blood Prince was a cinematically beautiful film (the cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel was astonishing, the score was a big improvement from OOTP by Nick Hooper, the pacing and editing was a step up on Mark Day's part etc..). It comes down to whether or not people can separate books from films, as they are totally different mediums and entites. I look at the films for what they are: a cinematic version of Harry Potter in their own right. That is not to say, however, that they should disregard the source material. As long as the film captures the spirit and mood of the book (which they all have) and incorporates loyal character portrayals, then it is a good adaptation as far as I am concerned. And we all have to remember: what may work for a book may not work for a film. And as a result, I think that HBP has a strong position alongside POA as the best instalments in the series.

Also, I think that POA is the most successful Potter film in that it mixed essential elements from its source material alongside cinematic style, which is a mark of true filmmaking talent in my book (excuse the pun).

Formerly Third Year Member

Last edited by thePuff003; March 4th, 2011 at 5:03 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:52 am
Third Year

PPL do u remember when POA was released, all the fans were ANGRY because they didnt explain who were the creators of the marauder's map? WELL, for those who were outraged, ur dream has come true since they know explain it in the HP & DH1 feature, maximun mode! I think the filmmakers acknowledged that fans were mad that they cut this bit of info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfdN9...eature=related

Old April 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm
Second Year

Thats really good because I was really disappointed they didn't go into more detail about the marauders, especially since it was all about the past and thats my favourite part about the HP series. I love the memories and discussions about what happened in the past in the HP world and really wanted to delve more into the relationship between the boys, it was really interesting in the book, wish they would have just let the films be longer. We would have all still watched.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 6:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

all the clip mentioned was who the Marauders were. They didn't mention why they became animagus; they changed in order to be with Lupin once a month while he was a werewolf.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 8:45 pm
Second Year

I find it funny that people that love POA have very little problems with the important book stuff that was left out of the movie, but complain about HBP for doing the same thing. Talk about double standards. I think many people's problem with HBP is that they didn't want a light hearted romance film, but the book was full of that stuff. Yes, some stuff was cut, but the basic necessities were left in, and what wasn't can be covered in the final film. Cuaron did the same thing. He cut out the explanation of the marauder's which pretty much links the whole narrative together. It seems POA gets a pass, because when it came out it was something so new and different from Columbus' style that it didn't matter that it was a flawed adaption. The fans of this film give it too much slack, though. I like all the films, but I judge each of the on the same terms. If HBP is considered a bad adaption then POA is a bad adaption. Just because you didn't want a romance film doesn't make it a bad film. That romance was very present in HBP. I didn't want a truncated adaption that focused more on the whomping willow than it did on the Marauder's map which is what we got in POA. Which is no where in the book. Yes, the willow is mentioned, but not mentioned every chapter. Pretty cinematography and interesting camera setups do not make a good adaption. If your gonna judge the films judge them on the same standards or don't judge them at all. I like all the films, but if I had to judge them I probably wouldn't like any of them from an adaption stand point. They all fail in some way in the adaption department. In the cinematography department and camera department HBP is the only one that is equal to what Cuaron did.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 9:24 pm
Third Year

What's more important to the overall plot -- the marauders, or Voldemort's life and the war in the Wizarding World?

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
What's more important to the overall plot -- the marauders, or Voldemort's life and the war in the Wizarding World?
The essential's of Voldemort's life were covered. We saw he was a troubled youth and we saw him manipulating Slughorn in to telling him about Horcruxes. Those were the essentials. They showed that his hunger for power led him down his path. I know some say we didn't get enough memories, but we didn't need to see Voldemort working at B&B and obtaining the cup. Dumbledore explained enough about the horcruxes to get the narrative flowing for harry to discover the answers on his own. I know its not like that in the book, but this is film. Its hard to introduce the cup in HBP when it won't even play a part until the end of DH. Its just something that usually isn't done in film. Plus, it leaves more mystery for the final film, because the audience doesn't know what the Horcruxes could be. It adds mystery. The Gaunts would have required casting for character's that would never come up again. His father and Grandparents also would have required this. Also, these films are for the younger crowd not just teenagers and adults and they aren't in this for the deeper psychological underpinnings of how Tom Riddle's parents screwed up his life. Nor is it important to see these underpinnings as his power for hunger is the trait that is most prominent in the films. You have to make these films acceptable to more than one age group. The romance between Tom Senior and Merope doesn't advance the over-all plot. So cutting those memories works. The momory with the ministry official going to the Gaunts house also was extraneous info that wasn't required for the film. Now back to POA. The Marauders are recurring character's, and their map is a recurring character in the film. Right there it brings their importance up. POA's whole plot structure is based around the murder of his parents, the map, the marauder's, the escape of Sirius Black and the discovery of how all these puzzle pieces fit together, but we never discover how the pieces are connected. During everything happening at some point in the shrieking shack Sirius or Lupin could have called Pettigrew Wormtail. That's all it would have taken. Then Pettigrew simply had to call them Moony and Padfoot. Then the audience knows these are the marauder's. With HBP they cut the memories that weren't absolutely essential to avoid lot's of exposition. It didn't feel like something was forgotten. With POA it's more like someone forgot during the script process and production to include just who the marauder's are. At some point someone on set should have said, 'shouldn't we mention that the Marauder's are Lupin, James, Peter, and Sirius.' It's like everyone blanked on that point. I would be fine with them not explaining the Marauder's if they had never included them in the first place. Why set it up if your not going to explain it. The map doesn't have to be called anything other than a map, and it's not essential even include the fact that Lupin, Peter, James, and Sirius have nicknames. It hasn't even played into the films in anyway at all. We know they are friends, and thats all that has been emphasized so I can't understand why they set up this elelment of their backstory if they didn't want to give it payoff. It's script writing 101. It's like me making a Batman movie and including Salina Kyle and her alter ego Catwoman, but never establishing the fact that Salina Kyle is Catwoman. You have to include these bits of information. This is my biggest gripe. Its as if production was stopped early, and they had to go with what they got. I love POA, but I can't excuse this hiccup with the script or Cuaron for not catching it or caring to address it.

Last edited by J17; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:08 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:19 pm
Third Year

Well, both Selina Kyle and Catwoman would have impications in the plot. Lupin, James, Sirius, and Pettigrew had an impact on the plot in PoA, the marauders (meaning their younger selves) don't. They did the map, and it wasn't important to be linked to them. what was important is to convey their friendship, and the film did so.
The fact that they were not called the marauders doesn't mean the audience didn't know that they were friends in school.
The fact that Harry had a family, and his family has friends, and Harry lost them all because of Voldemort is the main drive of the book, and the film does show that.

With HBP, however, the main drive of the film is teenage relationships. Not just love ones: the relationship/parallels between Harry and Draco are shown as well. That is not the main drive of the book, I think. I would say that the point of HBP was to show how war affects the characters. I never felt during HBP that the Wizarding World was at war.

And about presenting objects, LotR did so with the Light of Earendil, and it worked.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
Well, both Selina Kyle and Catwoman would have impications in the plot. Lupin, James, Sirius, and Pettigrew had an impact on the plot in PoA, the marauders (meaning their younger selves) don't. They did the map, and it wasn't important to be linked to them. what was important is to convey their friendship, and the film did so.
The fact that they were not called the marauders doesn't mean the audience didn't know that they were friends in school.
The fact that Harry had a family, and his family has friends, and Harry lost them all because of Voldemort is the main drive of the book, and the film does show that.

With HBP, however, the main drive of the film is teenage relationships. Not just love ones: the relationship/parallels between Harry and Draco are shown as well. That is not the main drive of the book, I think. I would say that the point of HBP was to show how war affects the characters. I never felt during HBP that the Wizarding World was at war.

And about presenting objects, LotR did so with the Light of Earendil, and it worked.
I think you just agreed with me. I said that because the Marauder's haven't served a purpose they should have cut the whole idea all together. Why even mention the Marauder's if you not going to explain it? There was no reason to include Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs if you weren't going to say who they are. It left people wondering who these people were. The fact that they are Lupin, Peter, James, and Sirius is unimportant so the whole Marauder's subplot should have been cut. Why mention four character's that you never explain or introduce. Just call the map the map and leave it at that. They also should have cut Lupin knowing the map was a map, because that further confused people. They were wondering how him and Sirius knew. Cuaron set it up as if he was going to link it all together, but he never did.

Its funny you mention that you didn't feel in the book that relationships were dominant, but when you cut out the extraneous memories that weren't necessary to be put in the film that is all you are left with. That is a flaw of the book not the film. HBP was a book of budding romances and lots of exposition about Voldemort's past with a mystery of who the HBP was and what Draco was up to. Most of that exposition on Voldemort wasn't necessary so all the story had left was romance and the Half-Blood Prince plot and Draco. The two most important memories were included, and the rest of the film was split evenly between the mystery of Draco and the romances. Now for some odd reason the mystery of who the HBP was almost nearly cut. I am guessing Yate's didn't want two mystery plots running at once which I could understand, but it could have been handled better. The romance was a result I think of Yate's wanting to do a lighter film after OOTP. Which again is fine. The film opens with a muggle attack and diagon alley is trashed and the Burrow burns and you see DE trying to penetrate Hogwarts defenses so there is a sense things are getting worse. Really in the book nothing was shown just the occassional mentions of deaths and disappearances.

As you can tell I have problems with both films. For me, HBP problems mimic POA problems. Having said that though, what HBP and POA got right is above the other fims. These to films compliment each other well. They have similar adaption problems, but they are in terms of what they got right they are similar. They both had beautiful cinematography; they both had great scores; and they both had a great ending. All this along with many other things puts them on equal terms for me. I've just never been able to grasp how you can love one and hate the other when the both suffer from similar flaws, and have similar redeeming qualities.

Edit: I was watching the deleted scenes for DH part 1 and in one of the scenes Hermione and Harry are talking about the Horcruxes, and Harry mentions that Dumbledore told him the ring is Voldemorts grandfathers ring, and that the Locket was his mom's ring. Then Ron goes on to mention that the name Voldemort is taboo and is how they are tracing them. That bit of info about the Horcruxes would have been included in DH but was cut. Interesting how this stuff gets cut, and it was only like a 1 minutes scene.

Last edited by J17; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:42 pm.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:12 am
Third Year

I agree with your last two paragraphs, for the most part. But I don't have them in equal terms. (I understand that the following is a completely personal point of view) I can't relate emotionally to any of Yates' films. Whatever cuts Kloves did for PoA, the main theme prevailed. But in HBP, I don't think it did.

And I'm not agreeing with you on the first paragraph. I'm saying that not calling James/Lupin/Sirius/Pettigrew the Marauders doesn't affect the story. And you don't have to explain every little trend. Leaving it open shows that there's a whole world in there. Would I prefer they mentioned that they were the marauders? Yes. Does it affect the story, and more importantly, the theme of the film? I don't think so.

Personally, I haven't met anyone confused by the map. In any movie, especially fantasy ones, you see objects that belong to someone and aren't explained. See my example above, the Light of Earendil. Who is Earendil? Does it matter?

Another part of my point, is that the Marauders (the concept of them; not especifically James/Lupin/Serius/Pettigrew) isn't important to the endgame. To understand Voldemort, and to know which are the Horcruxes is, and I really lament that those were cut from HBP and DH I.

And finally, I don't believe that if you cut the "extraneous" memories you are left with a relationship book. You have, as you said, both the mysteries of Draco and the HBP, the war going outside of Hogwarts, the Ministry trying to cover up stuff...the relationships were a smaller part of a whole than those threads, I believe.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 7:41 pm
First Year

I always liked the POA movie, but I never really liked the book. There were a lot of parts in the movie that I was glad they left out, because I didn't like them in the book, so maybe that's why I liked it. (But I hated how they left out the Marauder's backstory)

Old April 4th, 2011, 5:45 am
First Year

Okay, so i LOVE Poa, as i stated before.I just wanted to add one more thing in. When i saw Poa the first time, i had NOT read the books. Obiously, i didn't know who the Marauder's were... or there was even more to the story. Maybe there were times i thought there was more going on, but i didn't really know where in the movies... You know what i mean? That's the thing with the people who haven't read the books, a lot of the time they won't even think there is more to the story. So, the fact that the Marauder's backstory was left out in the movie didn't make a difference to me... I didn't know things were missing. I have to add ONE thing in here quickly that isn't about Poa- I just thought it fit well in this discussion, so i have to add it. In OOTP, there is a line where Harry says "They have Padfoot". Now, i saw this movie before i read the books as well.. I didn't know the backstory of the Marauder's, so clearly i thought "What?? who's Padfoot?!?!" My friend beside me had to tell me. She had read the books... So THAT annoys me a little.. I mean they never said who Padfoot was, so how was i going to know that?
Anyway, i REALLY did enjoy this movie. Def in my top 3! I think it could have been better, by adding more about the Marauder's. The scene in the movie was good, but could've been better. Thats my rant. lol Goodnight.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies