Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old April 27th, 2011, 3:32 am
Third Year

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
If both Bellatrix and Lucius had Voldemort's capabilities and powers, based on canon evidence, who do you think would have made the most dangerous dark lord/ dark lady?
Maybe the What if thread would be the best place to put this (perhaps you shall copy this answer there). But here goes my answer, I think Bellatrix would be the most dangerouse as she seems to lack in human compasion nearly as much as Voldemort does, Lucius is much more human.

Now, going back to the topic, I also believe Lucius and Severus must have started their frienship at School, DE doesn't seem to me as the best place to make friends as they are "forced" to compete against each other for their master's appreciation. Both Lucius and Severus seem to make a "team" and this is something you don't manage from one moment to the next. Also, as someone pointed out, Severus and Lucius are told through all the story by other characters to be "old friends" and this is also implied by Lucius welcoming Severus when he is sorted Slytherin.
Some have argued if Lucius really apreciate Snape or if it was just out of convenience and a superficial relationship. IMO, you don't go to ask a favour to the house of a man if your family (husband) is not really close to him (the case of Narcissa in HBP). Plus it seems to me that Lucius realized soon how well they complemented each other, Severus being intelligent and resourceful but without social skills or conections, and Lucius having the later but lacking Snape's geniality.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

From the Draco thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Yes, Lucius didn't help Draco by being the solution to Draco's problems. Sometimes I even thought he made use of Draco to get at Dumbledore, particularly over Buckbeak. And why did he buy Draco on to the Quidditch team? Was it because Draco persuaded him or because he wanted to show off the power of the Malfoy money? I'm unconvinced that his son's wellbeing was at the front of his actions. However he did seem anxious for Draco in the battle of Hogwarts when Draco's safety was uppermost in his thoughts. Maybe the events of DH (and even HBP) drew the Malfoy family closer together.
I think that Lucius had no problems using people, I think he saw people as objects to use for his own gain - as shown by his willingness to destroy an eleven-year-old child's life and future for political gain. However, I think he drew the line at his own son.

Perhaps there was some gain for him in buying Draco's place on the team, but it also benefitted Draco, at least according to Lucius. I think Lucius believed that a wealthy pureblood should get what they want - he may have felt that Draco should have that place on the Slytherin team, because he wanted it. It may also have been a display of his influence, but he felt it was beneficial for Draco, IMO.

With Buckbeak, I think Lucius was well aware that Madam Pomfrey had healed Draco's arm almost immediately. He may or may not have got the full story about what happened. He may have seen an opportunity to pay Dumbledore back for having him removed from the board of governors a few months previously. But he knew that the attempt to execute Buckbeak wouldn't harm Draco, IMO.

I think he cared about Draco's well-being, but he also saw opportunities to benefit from Draco, while ensuring he was unharmed. He didn't mind hurting others to gain from their suffering, but he didn't deliberately hurt Draco, for gain, IMO. Although I do think that spoiling Draco, and buying his way to whatever he wanted harmed more than it helped Draco, this wasn't Lucius' intention. Much like the Dursleys spoiling their son, leaving him unprepared for the real world.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 2:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Perhaps there was some gain for him in buying Draco's place on the team, but it also benefitted Draco, at least according to Lucius. I think Lucius believed that a wealthy pureblood should get what they want - he may have felt that Draco should have that place on the Slytherin team, because he wanted it. It may also have been a display of his influence, but he felt it was beneficial for Draco, IMO.
I think so, too. It seems to me that Lucius was adept at buying influence, and that may have been a lesson for his son on how it was done. Lucius may have felt that it would increase his son's status in Slytherin House, and buy both of them allies, and show Draco what methods he should use to form his own network of influence. Maybe that was the year that Lucius was showing Draco the ropes on how to be a Malfoy. During the summer Lucius had taken Draco with him to Borgin and Burkes to get rid of questionable items. Perhaps that was a lesson in how and when to cut back to keep out of trouble with the Ministry. He also admonished Draco about dissing Harry Potter and whining about a Muggleborn being better in school-- two lessons in keeping up appearances.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old May 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm
First Year

Okay guys so I looked but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this has already been asked but, do we know what happened to Lucius (and the rest of the Malfoy's) after the Battle of Hogwarts? Did he/they go back to Azkaban? I'm trying to write a creative profile for a writing class. Anything definitive or at least reasonably speculative would be a huge help

Old May 30th, 2011, 9:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlorraine92 View Post
Okay guys so I looked but couldn't find anything, so sorry if this has already been asked but, do we know what happened to Lucius (and the rest of the Malfoy's) after the Battle of Hogwarts? Did he/they go back to Azkaban? I'm trying to write a creative profile for a writing class. Anything definitive or at least reasonably speculative would be a huge help
As far as I recall, JKR said post DH, that none of the Malfoy's went to Azkaban. I think it was in part because of Narcissa's helping Harry and the fact Malfoy's are good at getting out of trouble, as Lucius managed to after the first wizarding war.

Old July 7th, 2011, 9:30 am
First Year

I am not sure I understand why Rowling decided to redeem him. To me he was not a redeemable character. Just because one loves his family does not mean it compensates for all the horridly grotesque actions committed by him. He should not have been pardoned and Rowling should have said in her interview that he rightly belonged in Azkaban.

In Chamber of Secrets, it mentions that Lucius gave Dobby the flogging of his life just because his servant burnt his dinner. Lucius participated in Muggle family torture. I remember the book even said two of the people whom his group tortured were children. He had no qualms about lunging at a minor when he discovered that due to his own nonchalant attitude, he had freed his house-elf. Of course he then lost his cool and had a villainous breakdown here and turned berserk on Harry; a man in his late thirties attacking a child...nice. In front of Dumbledore, he called Ginny "that stupid little girl". Now I am not the biggest fan of Ginny and if that line had been said by someone else in a different circumstance, I would have agreed. However, we have to remember why he called her that: it was because he saw Ginny as nothing else but a pawn who failed him in the end. It still amuses me how he blamed Ginny for ruining his plans.

Last edited by Samuel5; July 7th, 2011 at 9:34 am.
Old July 7th, 2011, 1:51 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel5 View Post
I am not sure I understand why Rowling decided to redeem him.
I don't think she did. Lucius not being sentenced to Azkaban and -- according to her interviews, being able to wriggle out of a prison sentence -- is not the same as redeeming him. It's nowhere seen that Lucius ever felt remorse over the suffering Voldemort had inflicted on Muggles and Muggleborns, as opposed to Lucius and his family.

Quote:
He should not have been pardoned and Rowling should have said in her interview that he rightly belonged in Azkaban.
I think JKR did what she did with Lucius to show that even in her modern fairytale, threads don't always get tied up neatly and villains don't always get their just desserts.

It would be a bit too neat if every single villain in the Potterverse got what they deserved. I think JKR is to be commended for not taking an easy and obvious way out.

Old July 7th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I think JKR did what she did with Lucius to show that even in her modern fairytale, threads don't always get tied up neatly and villains don't always get their just desserts.

It would be a bit too neat if every single villain in the Potterverse got what they deserved. I think JKR is to be commended for not taking an easy and obvious way out.
I agree with everything you said!

But I wonder why it was the Malfoys, out of all the Death Eaters that didn't get sentenced in Azkaban. It could've been the Dolohovs or the Carrows, if they didn't die. Maybe it was because they were a big part of the series, yes. But maybe this is me being bias, sorry for that. But maybe, just maybe, Lucius had felt a bit guilty after the Battle. Maybe he realized what really mattered to him, which was family, like Narcissa? I don't know. Maybe it's the movies and how the Malfoys were huddled together, and how I overlook everything in the villains. So... yeah. :P

Drarry | Romione | Lupin/Tonks
Old July 7th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel5 View Post
I am not sure I understand why Rowling decided to redeem him. To me he was not a redeemable character. Just because one loves his family does not mean it compensates for all the horridly grotesque actions committed by him. He should not have been pardoned and Rowling should have said in her interview that he rightly belonged in Azkaban.
I don't think Lucius was redeemed at all. I agree with PearlTook's point, that it was about having a guilty party get away with their misdeeds. I think it's realistic that Lucius got away with his crimes, yet again, even if I don't like it.

Quote:
However, we have to remember why he called her that: it was because he saw Ginny as nothing else but a pawn who failed him in the end. It still amuses me how he blamed Ginny for ruining his plans.
I don't think he blamed Ginny for ruining his plans - he said he didn't know how the "stupid little girl" got Riddle's diary. I think it's more likely that he was insinuating that what had happened to her was Ginny's own fault.

I think it's interesting that the only DEs that we know for certain carried out planned attacks while Voldemort was exiled are Lucius and Bellatrix's group. Lucius was also involved in the seemingly spontaneous attack at the World Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I think Lucius' remark to Harry after the hearing is quite applicable to Lucius himself. He does seem to wriggle out of trouble, on almost every occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhm View Post
But I wonder why it was the Malfoys, out of all the Death Eaters that didn't get sentenced in Azkaban. It could've been the Dolohovs or the Carrows, if they didn't die. Maybe it was because they were a big part of the series, yes. But maybe this is me being bias, sorry for that. But maybe, just maybe, Lucius had felt a bit guilty after the Battle. Maybe he realized what really mattered to him, which was family, like Narcissa? I don't know. Maybe it's the movies and how the Malfoys were huddled together, and how I overlook everything in the villains. So... yeah. :P
I think it may be, as you say, because the Malfoys were more significant in the series than Dolohov or the Carrows. I doubt that Lucius felt guilt, I think he was concerned solely with his own suffering, and that of his family. This is a man who is willing to murder/destroy the lives of other peoples' children, even though he is himself a parent. (And thus, should be able to empathise, and consider how he would feel if anything happened to Draco.)

Perhaps he realised that he should put the safety of his loved ones before his illegal schemes, but I don't think he regretted what he had done to others. I think he was desperate by the time of the Battle of Hogwarts, I think all he cared about by then was his family.

Did he realise, like Narcissa that they would never be safe while Voldemort was alive? Or did he still believe, as he did when the Trio were captured, that he could regain favour, in order to stay safe?

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old July 19th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Sixth Year

1. Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
Himself and his family. First and foremost, he was loyal to Voldemort only because he craved power and the status of being Voldemort's right hand man. But when he lost favour with Voldemort, he became a changed man. The final battle showed everything-Lucius didn't care anymore to fight, he cared more about the safety of his son.

2.What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
I have a feeling that Voldemort didn't tell Lucius everything. If he did know that a part of Voldemort's soul was in the diary, he wouldn't have given it to Ginny. Voldemort probably told him very little, that it was powerful and was the key to unlocking the basilisk (that was what Dobby relayed to Harry, which we assumed that Dobby overheard from Lucius) but beyond that, he doesn't know anything about it.

3. Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
He cares a lot about Draco, but I don't think that makes him a good father. He's obviously the reason for Draco being the way he is-sneering, status conscious and a bully. That's probably how Lucius himself was brought up, and Narcissa as well, to believe that blood purity mattered more than anything else. I think to me the most interesting thing about Lucius is that there are different dimensions to him. Earlier on in the series, he struck me as an arrogant, pompous and status conscious man. When all is stripped away from him, the thing he cares the most is his family.

4.What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

(From Lucius' POV)

Bellatrix- The wife's deranged sister who escaped from Azkaban. Frankly, she should be left there to rot.

Arthur Weasley- The crazy, Muggle loving blood traitor.

Draco/Narcissa- Lucius doesn't have many morals (I can count them with one hand!), but he would definitely do anything for his family.

Albus Dumbledore- The worst thing that ever happened to Hogwarts.

Harry Potter- The annoying little half-blood boy who is always ruining his plans.

5. Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
My memory of OoTP is rather rusty.

6. Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
I doubt he was even loyal to Voldemort at that point. However, he had no other choice. I think his loyalty to Voldemort wavered the first time Voldemort threatened Draco.

7. How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
Well, he managed to stay out of prison because of his money.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:44 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
I believe he started out loyal to Voldemort ,but ended up loyal only to his family.
Quote:
What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
I think he only knew that it would help to open the Chamber of secrets and nothing else.
Quote:
Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
No I don't feel he was a good father , That said I believe he does love his family.
Quote:
What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix was a scary person to him, Arthur was an enemy, Draco was never good enough it seemed , Narcissa was his partner I'm sure he loved her, The other DE's were beneath him at first then after the disaster in the MOM his equals, Severus Snape was his friend from school , Harry Potter was his downfall and his enemy.
Quote:
Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
I believe he did. He followed his instructions about not killing anyone until the wheels came off and it turned into a battle to the death.
Quote:
Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
You can't quit or resign from being a DE if you do try to you get killed. Yes I do feel that his loyalty wavered and that by the end all he wanted was to get his family together and find someplace safe to hide.

Quote:
How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
I believed he was relieved that it was over, Well he was a fugitive from Azkaban so maybe he went back there . I believe Harry testified for him at his trial so maybe he is at home under house arrest?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 30th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I

Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2
How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?

I believed he was relieved that it was over, Well he was a fugitive from Azkaban so maybe he went back there . I believe Harry testified for him at his trial so maybe he is at home under house arrest?
According to Pottermore Lucius stayed out of Azkaban by testifying against his fellow DEs which led to several arrests. It doesn't appear that Harry had anything to do with it.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old May 1st, 2014, 2:52 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
According to Pottermore Lucius stayed out of Azkaban by testifying against his fellow DEs which led to several arrests. It doesn't appear that Harry had anything to do with it.
Although he may have informally vouched for Lucius. In DH when Harry is in the Great Hall under the cloak, he sees Lucius:

Quote:
DH, page 735 US hardcover edition:

....and Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy running through the crowd, not even attempting to fight, screaming for their son.
So in the end, Lucius seems to have made a conscious choice to not fight, to abandon Voldemort and the DEs. Also, later in the Great Hall after the fighting was done, Lucius & his family were sitting at one of the tables and no one approached to arrest him, which would seem to confirm that most people (including Harry) believed Lucius had switched sides.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old May 1st, 2014, 4:00 am
Renegade

I don't think it would have been too smart for Lucius to enter a pitched battle between armed wizards when he no longer had a wand himself. Neither did Narcissa, who had lent her wand to Draco. I assume it was destroyed when the "Room of Hidden Things" burned.

Draco twice tried to help Harry, Ron and Hermione - once at Malfoy manner, once before the fire broke out in the Room of Requirement. They twice reciprocated by helping him. And, of course, Narcissa made a conscious decision to betray Voldemort for the chance to get into the castle and find Draco.

Does anyone know for sure if Harry did, in fact, testify for the Malfoys at the inevitable trials that would have occurred after the Battle of Hogwarts? I'm seeing both yes and no in the last few posts.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old May 1st, 2014, 3:55 pm
Snidget of Champions

I haven't been able to find that Harry did, in fact, testify for the Malfoys, which makes much of the prior conversation a bit moot. There are these notes, though:
Bloomsbury Chat; July 30, 2007Georgina: Did lucius malfoy, and all the other escaped death eaters, go back to azkaban

J.K. Rowling: No, the Malfoys weaseled their way out of trouble (again) due to the fact that they colluded (albeit out of self-interest) with Harry at the end of the battle.

Pottermore, The Malfoy Family, CoS, Ch. 4Abraxas’s son, Lucius, achieved notoriety as one of Lord Voldemort’s Death Eaters, though he successfully evaded prison after both Lord Voldemort’s attempted coups. On the first occasion, he claimed to have been acting under the Imperius Curse (though many claimed he called in favours from high-placed Ministry officials); on the second occasion, he provided evidence against fellow Death Eaters and helped ensure the capture of many of Lord Voldemort’s followers who had fled into hiding.

I still find it difficult to swallow that Kingsley's Ministry would grant such pardons for evidence like was done in the previous war, but as I've said elsewhere the crimes committed at the hand of Lucius were probably small compared to the Death Eaters he helped capture. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry did give counsel of Lucius's change of heart: he saw, through the connection with Voldemort, Lucius abandoning Voldemort during the battle so that he could find his son: he knew Lucius didn't take part in the battle - and, on a more personal level, likely saw the chance for redemption within Lucius, at least within his family.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old May 1st, 2014, 6:09 pm
Sixth Year

But this is the same Harry who was totally fine with killing Sirius Black when he thought Sirius betrayed his parents, we've seen that he totally loses it when it's someone he cares about getting hurt.

After what Lucius did to Ginny, you'd think if Harry's character was consistent he'd be all "Yeah, this guy is going down." mode for him.

Old May 1st, 2014, 8:06 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
But this is the same Harry who was totally fine with killing Sirius Black when he thought Sirius betrayed his parents, we've seen that he totally loses it when it's someone he cares about getting hurt.

After what Lucius did to Ginny, you'd think if Harry's character was consistent he'd be all "Yeah, this guy is going down." mode for him.
I have a gut feeling that Lucius' downfall in DH, how far he'd fallen by the time of the Battle of Hogwarts, might have moved Harry to advocate for mercy. I don't know - from a strictly personal standpoint, my sympathy wouldn't have extended to Lucius. Narcissa and Draco, yes, but not the old man.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old May 1st, 2014, 9:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I don't think it would have been too smart for Lucius to enter a pitched battle between armed wizards when he no longer had a wand himself. Neither did Narcissa, who had lent her wand to Draco. I assume it was destroyed when the "Room of Hidden Things" burned.
True, Lucius didn't have much choice about it - he was completely unable to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts.

[quote=MrSleepyHead;6090195]
Quote:
J.K. Rowling: No, the Malfoys weaseled their way out of trouble (again) due to the fact that they colluded (albeit out of self-interest) with Harry at the end of the battle.[/fieldset]
Pottermore, The Malfoy Family, CoS, Ch. 4Abraxas’s son, Lucius, achieved notoriety as one of Lord Voldemort’s Death Eaters, though he successfully evaded prison after both Lord Voldemort’s attempted coups. On the first occasion, he claimed to have been acting under the Imperius Curse (though many claimed he called in favours from high-placed Ministry officials); on the second occasion, he provided evidence against fellow Death Eaters and helped ensure the capture of many of Lord Voldemort’s followers who had fled into hiding.
Then the Ministry let a pretty big fish go in exchange for a few smaller fish. IMO, the whole point of Lucius evading justice, yet again, is that evil-doers don't always have to face the consequences of their actions. Sometimes, the worst of people get away with their crimes. It's unfortunate, but it reflects reality.

Quote:
I still find it difficult to swallow that Kingsley's Ministry would grant such pardons for evidence like was done in the previous war, but as I've said elsewhere the crimes committed at the hand of Lucius were probably small compared to the Death Eaters he helped capture.
I doubt that Lucius' crimes were small. He was a significant DE, at least prior to the mess-up at the Ministry. Speaking of which, he should at the very least have been returned to finish out that sentence. Voldemort sprung that group from prison before their sentence was up. Perhaps he managed to convince a group of the Wizengamot of this, but the text shows otherwise. Unfortunately, Lucius was just good at covering his tracks and getting away with his crimes.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Harry did give counsel of Lucius's change of heart: he saw, through the connection with Voldemort, Lucius abandoning Voldemort during the battle so that he could find his son: he knew Lucius didn't take part in the battle - and, on a more personal level, likely saw the chance for redemption within Lucius, at least within his family.
So what if Lucius loved his family? I don't see that as a reason to let him off scot-free. It didn't prevent him, ever, from being a danger to other people's families. Lucius loved his son, and yet, was willing to put other parents, like the Weasleys in CoS through the torment of seeing their children in danger, or dead. I don't think "Lucius loves his family" is a good enough reason to fail to actively prosecute him for his crimes. The Carrow siblings loved each other - they expressed concern for each other's safety, but I don't see that being a reason to cut them loose.

Having said that, I don't think that the Malfoys were let off completely scot-free. I would love to think that they were made pay into a post-war fund, restoring the wizarding world and helping to rebuild the lives of the victims of the DEs. That's just my hope, though.
I wonder if the Ministry would have put them under something like a suspended sentence? In any case, I can see Lucius being closely monitored by the Ministry after the war. I think Kingsley, unlike Fudge, knew exactly what kind of man Lucius was. Kingsley would have made sure that Lucius was watched for any sign of criminal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post

IMO, Harry did show that same inconsistency- just one of the examples being he spared Wormtail, less than an hour after he was about to kill Sirius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I have a gut feeling that Lucius' downfall in DH, how far he'd fallen by the time of the Battle of Hogwarts, might have moved Harry to advocate for mercy. I don't know - from a strictly personal standpoint, my sympathy wouldn't have extended to Lucius. Narcissa and Draco, yes, but not the old man.
I agree. I can't see any justification for failing to prosecute Lucius. Unless of course he covered his trail well enough and pleaded helpless victim/coercion. Which worked after the first war, but really shouldn't have worked a second time. Considering the fact that prisoners were held captive for months in his house, and that these captives were witnesses against Lucius and co., I find it very hard to believe.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 1:49 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
I agree. I can't see any justification for failing to prosecute Lucius. Unless of course he covered his trail well enough and pleaded helpless victim/coercion. Which worked after the first war, but really shouldn't have worked a second time. Considering the fact that prisoners were held captive for months in his house, and that these captives were witnesses against Lucius and co., I find it very hard to believe.
On this I disagree with you He was not happy with playing host to Voldemort in his house . I believe that the Malfoy's were not in control of their house while Voldemort was using it as his base. Those who were held there were not Lucius's prisoners they were Voldemort's, Lucius had no choice in who got held there.

As far as I can see Lucius had tons of gold to throw around ,I can easily see him buying his way out of trouble with the Law. As has been said he testified against other DE's ,so maybe that along with some gold got him off of all charges?.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old May 2nd, 2014, 5:22 am
Sixth Year

Quote:

IMO, Harry did show that same inconsistency- just one of the examples being he spared Wormtail, less than an hour after he was about to kill Sirius.
That was more pragmatism than anything else. He needed Wormtail alive to clear Sirius' name. If they didn't need a living Wormtail to confess, there's no doubt Harry would have wanted to kill him.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies