Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old February 21st, 2010, 3:47 am
Fifth Year

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
Ohh good question. I think he was loyal to Voldemort but knew the risks of doing so. By saying he was Imperioused, he could save face and keep himself and his family out of the slammer. I do think he was half-loyal to Voldy and the other half-loyal to his family and status.

What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
I assumed he knew very little about it. I think he assumed there was a very powerful charm attached to it that would allow the Chamber of Secrets to be opened. I think he thought that was all it was. Like Dumbledore said, if Lucius knew what it really was, he wouldnt have just dropped it in some little girl's cauldron.

Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
Yes and no. Yes because he did care about Draco in his own way. He wanted the best for his son. No because he didnt go about it in the way a truly good parent would. He was very occupied by his own status and being the best. By teaching this to Draco, it led to unwarranted prejudice. He also put too much pressure on his son. I never think thats healthy.

What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix: Well i dont know. She is his sister-in-law, so i assume they were on good terms. However its obvious he didnt go out of his way to clear her name. Arthur Weasley: I think he saw Mr Weasley as beneath him but also since the Weasleys are purebloods, as something of a rival. Mr. Weasley may not have had the best paying job in the world, but he had quite a bit of respect or so it seems. I think Lucius was a little jealous of that. Plus he saw Weasleys as blood-traitors.
Draco: Well, like i said above, i think he put a lot of pressure on his son. He wanted Draco to be the best and want the best.
Dumbledore: I think he feared Dumbledore. After all Voldemort feared Dumbledore. Lucius knew he had to work behind the scenes to remove Dumbledore as a threat. It didnt work. You may have noticed, Lucius tended to keep his distance from then on. Even at the Ministry in OotP.
Narcissa: I think there was a very close love and bond there. Narcissa could actually help sway Lucius's opinions considerably. I think they were very much in love.
Death Eaters: I think he wanted many of his comrades to think highly of him. He would flaunt his wealth in their faces as well as other wizards'. Lucius would boast, and also show that being a pureblood was in fact the best way to be. Im sure he wanted to prove to them, that he was willing to serve Voldemort.
Snape: Oh well...Not a whole lot is revealed about the relationship between these two except that they both respected eachother. I believe Lucius knew just how clever Snape was and how valuable he was to the Death Eaters. Snape knew that Lucius had pull in the Ministry. Plus we do know that Lucius was in fact the first one to greet Snape as he sat at the Slytherin table for the first time. Perhaps they were good friends.
Harry: Hmmmm. He saw Harry as a problem, just as much as any other Death Eater would.

Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
I think so. Lucius was the kind of man that uses influence and cunning to get the job done, not brute force. I dont think he anticipated what happened at all. He figured "oh a bunch of kids, no big deal." and he got overconfident. When the Order came, he didnt stand a chance.

Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
Fear. He knows quite a bit, so im sure Voldemort would have killed him and his family if he wavered. Perhaps he did believe he could prove himself worthy again but alas. No such luck. I figure Lucius thought, "Oh well, he can invade our home and whatnot but as long as we are alive, thats what matters...." But he was buckling. Its obvious. Yes i think his loyalties were wavering.

How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
I think part of him was relieved. But also afraid what would happen to his family by the Ministry and Death Eaters out for revenge. After all, it was his wife that lied to Voldy about Harry.
What happened to him afterwards? No idea. Perhaps he was pardoned by Harry, i dont know. I dont think he could ever get back into good graces with the Ministry again though.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 5:55 am
Second Year

Himself and his family first and foremost. We saw as much in DH.

He knew it once belonged to Voldemort, and figured that if Arthur Weasley's daugher was seen with something that belonged to him it would be a way to smear his name. He certainly didn't realise it was a Horcrux - I'm not sure if he would have even known what a Horcrux was (after all, it's not exactly common knowledge even for wizards with his knowledge of the Dark Arts). If he had, he would have been much more careful with it as Dumbledore said.

This is a really tough one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was. Sure, he didn't exactly instill the right values in Draco, but he did teach him what he believed was right, which he had probably learnt from his parents and so on. If you're indoctrinated in a particular way like Lucius probably was, it's pretty hard to turn your back on those values especially if you're not naturally used to questioning authority. And no one can say that he didn't love his son or provide for him.
I'd say he was a good father, but in the same way some racists and Jesus freaks are probably good parents as well.

What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bella - She was his sister in law from an old and wealthy pure-blood family who shared his views - I can imagine that at first and at least during the first war, they got on fairly well. Of course, after she went to Azkaban she despised the fact that he has wriggled out of trouble and was living a nice comfortable life, and probably also resented him for this. Combine the screwup at the Ministry and Lucius falling out of favour with Voldemort, and their relationship when south.
Arthur - He despises Arthur for his anti-racist beliefs and looks down on him because of his financial status. No love lost there. I can imagine that they probably knew each other at Hogwarts (Arthur was probably a couple of years older, but still) and their enmity started there.
Draco - I imagine he was a somewhat distant father (somehow I can't see the two of them playing Quidditch together in the yard) but, as I said earlier, he clearly loved and cared for his son and did what he thought was right by him. In return, Draco obviously respected him.
Dumbledore - Once again, he despises Dumbledore for his views on blood purity. But I can imagine he also fears and, on some level, respects his power and abilities.
Narcissa - I think they both love and care for each other. She was obviously quite a catch (old pure blood family, wealthy and attractive to boot) and I can't see him being anything but a good husband.
Other DEs - I think Bella and the other 'lifers' despised him for never suffering for Voldemort, bot the others all respected him at least pre OoTP - he was, after all, a rich oure blood from an old family where as most of them were half-bloods and from lower in society - the bogans of the wizarding world, if you will. After the Ministry incident, I imagine their view of Lucius took a nose dive.
Snape - I think that they were as close as either of them were with anyone (except Lucius with Narcissa and Snape with Lily in the early days). Lucius probably served as a mentor to Snape in his early days at Hogwarts, and I can imagine that they stayed in contact both during and after the first war and while Draco was at Hogwarts. I'm not sure what would have happened to their relationship after the Ministry and Snape killing Dumbledore - I'd guess that, internally at least, Lucius would have been pretty cheesed that the one person who may have been able to save his arse was dead at the hand of his mate.
Harry - He obviously doesn't think much of Harry, but I have a hunch that, at least at the start of CoS, he is somewhat afraid of Harry - as Snape pointed out, there were a lot of people who believed Harry himself was born a great Dark Wizard and I can imagine Lucius was scared of him on this level. Of course, once the two of them actually have an interaction he realises that Harry's no superhuman Dark sorcerer.

I think he did - after all, he knew if he failed he would be in Voldy's doghouse. He just made an honest mistake in underestimating Harry.

Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
He continued to serve Voldemort because he knew that if he didn't, he and his family were screwed. But his loyalty was definitely wavering and had been ever since Voldemort had ordered Draco to kill Dumbledore.

How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
I'd guess he was pretty relieved that he and his family got out alive and together. As for what happened after, considering Narcissa's role in the final battle and how she lied to Voldemort, I can imagine that Harry and the Ministry probably let them off with a proverbial slap on the wrist - maybe a short stint in the minimum security part of Azkaban at the most. Then I'd guess he retired to Malfoy Manor to spend time with his wife, money and peacocks.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Old February 24th, 2010, 2:26 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAHole View Post
He knew it once belonged to Voldemort, and figured that if Arthur Weasley's daugher was seen with something that belonged to him it would be a way to smear his name. He certainly didn't realise it was a Horcrux - I'm not sure if he would have even known what a Horcrux was (after all, it's not exactly common knowledge even for wizards with his knowledge of the Dark Arts). If he had, he would have been much more careful with it as Dumbledore said.
I'm sure he would have been much more cautious if he knew the diary contained a fragment of Voldemort's soul. However, he didn't just drop it into the cauldron for Ginny to be seen with it - he didn't know the specifics, but he did know it contained Dark Magic would somehow cause the Chamber of Secrets to reopen, and he wanted Arthur Weasley's child to be found to be attacking, possibly killing Muggleborn children. That alone makes Lucius an extremely unpleasant, morally bankrupt character, imo. (There are other words, but I'm trying to steer clear of bashing).

Quote:
I'm not sure what would have happened to their relationship after the Ministry and Snape killing Dumbledore - I'd guess that, internally at least, Lucius would have been pretty cheesed that the one person who may have been able to save his arse was dead at the hand of his mate.
I hadn't thought of that - Draco certainly seemed to be contemplating Dumbledore's offer. I think, having seen how Voldie treated Draco to punish him, Lucius would have grudgingly accepted Dumbledore's help to go into hiding, and might well have been ticked at Snape. That's presuming Draco told Lucius about Dumbledore's offer - and if he got a chance to speak to his parents privately away from prying eyes and ears once Malfoy Manor became HQ.

Quote:
I think he did - after all, he knew if he failed he would be in Voldy's doghouse. He just made an honest mistake in underestimating Harry.
Which was the same mistake Voldemort continually made.

Quote:
I'd guess he was pretty relieved that he and his family got out alive and together. As for what happened after, considering Narcissa's role in the final battle and how she lied to Voldemort, I can imagine that Harry and the Ministry probably let them off with a proverbial slap on the wrist - maybe a short stint in the minimum security part of Azkaban at the most. Then I'd guess he retired to Malfoy Manor to spend time with his wife, money and peacocks.
I really don't see how Narcissa's actions would have earned Lucius a lighter sentence. Although I remember reading a fanfic that speculated that he couldn't legally be retried for first war events, had served his sentence for the break-in, and hadn't been able to do anything in the second war as Voldemort had taken his wand. All technicalities, really, but I could imagine Lucius getting off charges in that way.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old February 24th, 2010, 8:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I'm sure he would have been much more cautious if he knew the diary contained a fragment of Voldemort's soul. However, he didn't just drop it into the cauldron for Ginny to be seen with it - he didn't know the specifics, but he did know it contained Dark Magic would somehow cause the Chamber of Secrets to reopen, and he wanted Arthur Weasley's child to be found to be attacking, possibly killing Muggleborn children. That alone makes Lucius an extremely unpleasant, morally bankrupt character, imo. (There are other words, but I'm trying to steer clear of bashing).
That's a good point - I didn't actually consider whether Lucius realised that the diary had the power to open the Chamber of Secrets. It doesn't really change my opinion of him at all though - I still consider him to be one of the more complex and interesting characters. While he is clearly a bad man, is a man truly evil and morally bankrupt if he is able to love in the manner Lucius was able to? is a question worth asking.

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that - Draco certainly seemed to be contemplating Dumbledore's offer. I think, having seen how Voldie treated Draco to punish him, Lucius would have grudgingly accepted Dumbledore's help to go into hiding, and might well have been ticked at Snape. That's presuming Draco told Lucius about Dumbledore's offer - and if he got a chance to speak to his parents privately away from prying eyes and ears once Malfoy Manor became HQ.
Oh I doubt Draco ever told Lucius that Dumbledore offered to help him and he didn't accept the moment the words fell out of his mouth. If I were Lucius and Draco had told me that and considering the situation I was in at the time, I'd probably be having to restrain myself from hurting him. Draco isn't foolish enough to say something like that.
However, I believe that if Dumbledore was still alive while Lucius was being treated like dirt by Voldemort, I would be hoping to eternity and beyond that Dumbledore would come in and start kicking arse and taking names.

Quote:
I really don't see how Narcissa's actions would have earned Lucius a lighter sentence. Although I remember reading a fanfic that speculated that he couldn't legally be retried for first war events, had served his sentence for the break-in, and hadn't been able to do anything in the second war as Voldemort had taken his wand. All technicalities, really, but I could imagine Lucius getting off charges in that way.
The way I imagine it is that when the Malfoys went on trial, Narcissa told the court that she saved Harry's life (which she did, however you look at it) and Harry backed her story up, because he's an honourable bloke. Plus, you have to remember that the Malfoys hardly fought in the Battle of Hogwarts or even before that. All these things considered, I doubt they were thrown in Azkaban for good. We know Draco obviously didn't get much of a punishment.

Old February 25th, 2010, 1:48 am
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
That's a good point - I didn't actually consider whether Lucius realised that the diary had the power to open the Chamber of Secrets. It doesn't really change my opinion of him at all though - I still consider him to be one of the more complex and interesting characters. While he is clearly a bad man, is a man truly evil and morally bankrupt if he is able to love in the manner Lucius was able to? is a question worth asking.
Dumbledore states in both CoS and HBP that Lucius knew the diary would cause the Chamber to be opened. While I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Voldemort, I do think his actions in CoS were despicable. He used an eleven year old child as a pawn to harm and potentially kill other children - I see that as incredibly low and I think it shows quite a lack of conscience.

Quote:
The way I imagine it is that when the Malfoys went on trial, Narcissa told the court that she saved Harry's life (which she did, however you look at it) and Harry backed her story up, because he's an honourable bloke. Plus, you have to remember that the Malfoys hardly fought in the Battle of Hogwarts or even before that. All these things considered, I doubt they were thrown in Azkaban for good. We know Draco obviously didn't get much of a punishment.

Narcissa's actions in the forest are a reason why she was spared Azkaban - I don't see how that extends to Lucius though. As for Draco, I'd imagine not identifiyng Harry and co. at Malfoy Manor would have stood in his favour, as well as the possibility that Harry let the authorities know Draco was forced to become a Death Eater. I don't see anything Lucius did that would excuse him, apart from the technicalities I mentioned above, and what you mentioned about him not participating in the Battle.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Sixth Year

[quote=FurryDice;5501346]
Quote:

Dumbledore states in both CoS and HBP that Lucius knew the diary would cause the Chamber to be opened. While I certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Voldemort, I do think his actions in CoS were despicable. He used an eleven year old child as a pawn to harm and potentially kill other children - I see that as incredibly low and I think it shows quite a lack of conscience.
I'm not sure Lucius knew how the diary would go about doing its work. Its quite likely that he simple used Ginny as a means to get the diary inside Hogwarts. If by chance, the diary was found then it would be Ginny who would have been in trouble and he'd have a chance to discredit the Weasley family. I don't think he knew that Riddle would be using Ginny in the way he did. I was also wondering if this was a spur of the moment thing that Lucius did after his fight with Arthur. Did he know in advance that the Weasley's were going to be there ?

Old February 27th, 2010, 1:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post

I'm not sure Lucius knew how the diary would go about doing its work. Its quite likely that he simple used Ginny as a means to get the diary inside Hogwarts. If by chance, the diary was found then it would be Ginny who would have been in trouble and he'd have a chance to discredit the Weasley family. I don't think he knew that Riddle would be using Ginny in the way he did. I was also wondering if this was a spur of the moment thing that Lucius did after his fight with Arthur. Did he know in advance that the Weasley's were going to be there ?
I don't think it can have been too spur of the moment, as he did have the diary with him - it seems he was planning on planting it on some student. He probably didn't know Riddle would possess Ginny as he didn't know it was a Horcrux, but he did know it would cause the Chamber of Secrets to be opened, putting Muggleborns at risk, possibly of death, and that Arthur Weasley's eleven year old daughter would be held responsible. Even if he didn't know how it would work, Lucius knew what the diary would do and he had no qualms about potentially murdering children and framing another child.

Quote:
CoS, UK edition pge 246-247
"A clever plan," said Dumbledore, in a level voice, still staring Mr Malfoy straight in the eye. "Because if Harry here...and his friend Ron hadn't discovered this book, why- Ginny Weasley might have taken all the blame...Imagine the effect on Arthur Weasley and his Muggle Protection Act, if his own daughter was discovered attacking and killing Muggleborns."
I'm sorry, but I can't see someone who would do something like this to children for any reason, let alone for political gain as anything but a murderous, cruel person, bordering on evil.

Old February 27th, 2010, 3:21 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
I don't think it can have been too spur of the moment, as he did have the diary with him - it seems he was planning on planting it on some student.
Not necessarily. Remember, he was trying to get rid of any questionable items from his home because of the Ministry raids. He went to Borgin & Burkes to sell some of what he had and it's very possible he went into the book shop with the intention of hiding Riddle's diary among the other books there and leaving it for someone to find.

Honestly, I'm not convinced Lucius knew what the diary was going to do since he didn't know it was a Horcrux. I know Dumbledore's explanation but it doesn't make since given that there seems to be no way for Lucius to know what the diary was or how it would work. Perhaps, JKR had intended for Lucius to be more knowledgeable about Horcruxes when she originally wrote CoS and then backed off on the idea.

He obviously knew it was a Dark Object and that it could be traced back to Voldemort. His latter actions to have Dumbledore removed as Hogwarts could be explained as opportunism, seeing a wound and grabbing the salt.

(The biggest reason I'm having trouble believing Lucius knew what the diary did is not out of affection for his character but because it means he placed Draco in danger as well. The basilisk petrified half-bloods like Penelope Clearwater. There's nothing in CoS or in Fantastic Beasts that says it couldn't do the same or worse to a pure-blood that crossed its path. Lucius didn't just put Ginny and the other children in danger but his own son as well. That he would do that makes him very stupid and contradicts his latter characterization where he is shown to love Draco and care about his well-being.)

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old February 27th, 2010, 3:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
Not necessarily. Remember, he was trying to get rid of any questionable items from his home because of the Ministry raids. He went to Borgin & Burkes to sell some of what he had and it's very possible he went into the book shop with the intention of hiding Riddle's diary among the other books there and leaving it for someone to find.
And yet he gladly took the opportunity to destroy a young girl's life to get at her father - as was his intention when he planted it on Ginny. That's extremely low and despicable, imo.

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not convinced Lucius knew what the diary was going to do since he didn't know it was a Horcrux. I know Dumbledore's explanation but it doesn't make since given that there seems to be no way for Lucius to know what the diary was or how it would work. Perhaps, JKR had intended for Lucius to be more knowledgeable about Horcruxes when she originally wrote CoS and then backed off on the idea.
Dumbledore seems certain he knew it would open the Chamber and lead to attacks, possibly fatal ones, on Muggleborn students. As Dumbledore and Hermione are generally considered accurate sources of information, I see it like this, too. Dumbledore suspects that Voldemort had told Lucius what the diary would do, if not what it was.

Quote:
"I understand that Voldemort had told him the diary would cause the Chamber of Secrets to reopen, because it was cleverly enchanted."
Professor Dumbledore, HBP, pge 475 UK edition, "Horcruxes"

Quote:
(The biggest reason I'm having trouble believing Lucius knew what the diary did is not out of affection for his character but because it means he placed Draco in danger as well. The basilisk petrified half-bloods like Penelope Clearwater. There's nothing in CoS or in Fantastic Beasts that says it couldn't do the same or worse to a pure-blood that crossed its path. Lucius didn't just put Ginny and the other children in danger but his own son as well. That he would do that makes him very stupid and contradicts his latter characterization where he is shown to love Draco and care about his well-being.)
Perhaps he didn't know that it was a basilisk - maybe in his blind hatred and prejudice, he truly believed the monster would only attack Muggleborns. This may even be what Voldemort had told him of the monster- and Lucius would readily have believed that the Malfoys' "superior blood" would mean Draco was safe.

Last edited by FurryDice; February 27th, 2010 at 3:58 am.
Old February 27th, 2010, 4:11 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
And yet he gladly took the opportunity to destroy a young girl's life to get at her father - as was his intention when he planted it on Ginny. That's extremely low and despicable, imo.
No argument there.

Quote:
"I understand that Voldemort had told him the diary would cause the Chamber of Secrets to reopen, because it was cleverly enchanted."
This sounds like he spoke to Lucius about it or Lucius told him yet there is no mention of him and Lucius ever having such a conversation or Lucius having such a conversation with anyone. Unless, it was Snape or another Death Eater who passed along this information. However, Dumbledore never says that either.

I'm not particularly wedded to my interpretation but given that we never hear from Lucius how much he knew about the diary, I think that is up to debate.

Quote:
Perhaps he didn't know that it was a basilisk - maybe in his blind hatred and prejudice, he truly believed the monster would only attack Muggleborns.
Very possible. Though if he knew that it was Riddle's diary one would think Voldemort also have told him and the others about the basilisk as a way to prove his connection to Salazar Slytherin since he was always desperate to show off his wizarding lineage.

And you'd think finding Myrtle's body would have shed some clues onto what it was that attacked her but, then again, maybe the wizarding world hasn't quite mastered police work.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old February 27th, 2010, 4:17 am
Second Year

The reason why I have my doubts that Lucius had any idea of the powers of the diary (even that it could be used to open the Chamber of Secrets) is that were this the case, why wouldn't he just give it to Draco? He could have used it to open the Chamber and attack the Muggleborns, and since he wouldn't have realised it had the power to possess another human he probably figured that no one could trace it back to him. Draco would of course have been only too glad to oblige his dad.

Old February 27th, 2010, 4:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
This sounds like he spoke to Lucius about it or Lucius told him yet there is no mention of him and Lucius ever having such a conversation or Lucius having such a conversation with anyone. Unless, it was Snape or another Death Eater who passed along this information. However, Dumbledore never says that either.

I'm not particularly wedded to my interpretation but given that we never hear from Lucius how much he knew about the diary, I think that is up to debate.
Dumbledore's assessments, shrewd ideas and suspicions are generally accurate. He doesn't tell Harry how he came by all the other suspicions or pieces of information he has, either.

He does also say, in the same conversation, that Voldemort's anger on hearing of the diary's destruction was "dreadful to behold" and that Lucius was in the doghouse over that - surely information from Snape - perhaps Lucius' intentions with the diary came out in the same meeting.

Quote:
Very possible. Though if he knew that it was Riddle's diary one would think Voldemort also have told him and the others about the basilisk as a way to prove his connection to Salazar Slytherin since he was always desperate to show off his wizarding lineage.

And you'd think finding Myrtle's body would have shed some clues onto what it was that attacked her but, then again, maybe the wizarding world hasn't quite mastered police work.
We've seen that wizarding detective work isn't always up to scratch - (e.g. Sirius, Hepzibah) although, as well as that, we were told that Dippet put the word around that Myrtle's death was a tragic accident, so perhaps he covered up and prevented a Ministry investigation also.

Even at the time the Chamber is reopened in CoS, people don't know what the monster is. Lucius would only have Voldemort's word on what the monster was, and I can see Voldie being quite vague about what was actually in there. I don't think Lucius would have acted as he did if he'd known it was a basilisk who would attack anyone it met. However, given his persistent and extreme belief in blood purity (to the extent that he deems it acceptable to torture and kill Muggles and Muggleborns), I can see him readily believing Voldemort if he was told that Salazar's monster would only harm those of "impure blood".

Quote:
The reason why I have my doubts that Lucius had any idea of the powers of the diary (even that it could be used to open the Chamber of Secrets) is that were this the case, why wouldn't he just give it to Draco? He could have used it to open the Chamber and attack the Muggleborns, and since he wouldn't have realised it had the power to possess another human he probably figured that no one could trace it back to him. Draco would of course have been only too glad to oblige his dad
Lucius cares for his family - he wouldn't have wanted to risk Draco being caught with such an incriminating piece of Dark Magic. Plus, he would probably have known that his son wouldn't have the same ability as he did to do these things without getting caught - he advised Draco he was better off keeping his head down and staying out of it, although Draco was keen to help the Heir of Slytherin.

Last edited by FurryDice; February 27th, 2010 at 4:38 am.
Old February 27th, 2010, 6:47 pm
Sixth Year

I don't believe that Ginny would have been in trouble if she had been caught with the diary. Her father though, would have been in a lot of trouble. IMO Lucius used Ginny as a means to get the diary into the school and if he could somehow implicate the Weasleys, it would be a bonus. Going by what he believed, pure bloods would not be harmed and therefore Ginny would not be harmed.
That said, it looks like he had no problems with the idea that many muggleborn kids could die because of it.

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I don't believe that Ginny would have been in trouble if she had been caught with the diary. Her father though, would have been in a lot of trouble. IMO Lucius used Ginny as a means to get the diary into the school and if he could somehow implicate the Weasleys, it would be a bonus. Going by what he believed, pure bloods would not be harmed and therefore Ginny would not be harmed.
That said, it looks like he had no problems with the idea that many muggleborn kids could die because of it.
I think Ginny would have been in trouble if she had been caught with the diary, something of Voldemort's - why would she not be? Arthur would have been in trouble, I agree. Lucius might not have expected Ginny to be physically harmed by the monster itself, I'd imagine he knew she probably would have been expelled, or even arrested. She could have been considered an accessory to assault, or potentially murder (if anyone had died), if it weren't for Dumbledore's perceptiveness regarding the diary and Harry's testimony about Riddle.

If I get what you're saying properly, Lucius intended to get the diary into the school somehow, but considered it a plus that the student it was planted on was a Weasley?
That makes a lot of sense, I think, as he probably didn't know the Weasleys were going to be in Diagon Alley that day, but he sure brought the diary with him.

Last edited by FurryDice; February 28th, 2010 at 12:41 am.
Old February 28th, 2010, 2:16 am
Second Year

[quote=FurryDice;5501346]
Quote:
Narcissa's actions in the forest are a reason why she was spared Azkaban - I don't see how that extends to Lucius though. As for Draco, I'd imagine not identifiyng Harry and co. at Malfoy Manor would have stood in his favour, as well as the possibility that Harry let the authorities know Draco was forced to become a Death Eater. I don't see anything Lucius did that would excuse him, apart from the technicalities I mentioned above, and what you mentioned about him not participating in the Battle.
Theoretically, you're right. But I imagine they made a deal which allowed Lucius to get a minimal punishment because of what his family contributed.

However, the Malfoy name will have been well and truly dragged through the mud this time - no more influencing the high-ups in the Ministry with gold for laws. For a status-obsessed prick like Lucius, this may be as bad a punishment as Azkaban without Dementors.

Old February 28th, 2010, 2:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

Theoretically, you're right. But I imagine they made a deal which allowed Lucius to get a minimal punishment because of what his family contributed.

However, the Malfoy name will have been well and truly dragged through the mud this time - no more influencing the high-ups in the Ministry with gold for laws. For a status-obsessed prick like Lucius, this may be as bad a punishment as Azkaban without Dementors.
I'm quite disappointed Lucius got off, but yeah, I see how it can have happened. I wonder if that "minimal punishment" may have involved confiscation/heavy fines of some of his funds and assets? Perhaps the funds were to be used aid in rebuilding the wizarding world and supporting affected families?

Yep, no more buying the Ministry for Lucius. And his reputation tarnished -deservedly so, imo. I wonder if he thanked his lucky stars he wasn't back in Azkaban? Or preferred to bemoan his loss of status? Or both?

Last edited by FurryDice; February 28th, 2010 at 2:41 am.
Old February 28th, 2010, 8:34 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Family. No doubt.

Quote:
Probably that it had the ability to control and influence someone gullible.

Quote:
For the most part, yes he is.

Quote:
Bella - Comrade
Arthur - Rival
Draco - Harsh but fair
Albus - Respectful but hostile
Narcissa - Loving
Severus - Friendly and respectful.
Harry - Suspicious but fearful.

Quote:
To increase his standing among the Death Eaters

Quote:
He serves him out of fear, and his loyalty was waving because Voldemort made the foolish mistake of putting Lucius' son in peril. Up until that point Lucius was a loyal Death Eater.

Quote:
Given Voldemort's instability, Lucius was probably happy to see him die. I don't think Lucius would have changed much after the war, perhaps a little more moderate given that Harry and Draco appeared to be on civil terms.

Old February 28th, 2010, 9:54 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think Ginny would have been in trouble if she had been caught with the diary, something of Voldemort's - why would she not be? Arthur would have been in trouble, I agree. Lucius might not have expected Ginny to be physically harmed by the monster itself, I'd imagine he knew she probably would have been expelled, or even arrested. She could have been considered an accessory to assault, or potentially murder (if anyone had died), if it weren't for Dumbledore's perceptiveness regarding the diary and Harry's testimony about Riddle.
I guess I thought it would be pretty hard to prove that a 11 year old girl would do such things without being brainwashed. The way I saw it, they would probably pin it all on Mr. Weasley. I honestly don't think that Lucius if given a chance would have spent his energy trying to get Ginny arrested or expelled. Its possible Mr Weasley might have got off as well. Malfoy would have known that people like Dumbledore wouldn't believe it and would come to their aid. Whatever the outcome though, the Weasleys would have been discredited and they would have had to live that against their name.

Quote:
If I get what you're saying properly, Lucius intended to get the diary into the school somehow, but considered it a plus that the student it was planted on was a Weasley?
That makes a lot of sense, I think, as he probably didn't know the Weasleys were going to be in Diagon Alley that day, but he sure brought the diary with him.
Yes, that is what I meant.

Last edited by wolfbrother; February 28th, 2010 at 9:56 am.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:16 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Lucius Malfoy was a very believable character to me, which made him that much more scarier and threatening. While having hidden horrendus ideology and agendas, he would influence, bribe and manipulate his way into gaining powerful connections and heighten his own status within education and government.

First and foremost himself, and his closet family, Narcissa and Draco. His facade was crumbled in DH and it revealed the broken man's foremost concerns, the survival and safety of his family.

Lucius didn't know it was a Horcrux, valuable to the Voldemort to the point of encasing a piece of his soul. Voldemort had entrusted the diary to Lucius and told him it would open the Chamber of Secrets due to being "cleverly echanted". The Ministry was doing raids, iirc, and he didn't want to be discovered with something so dark and incriminating found in his possession. The reason he was getting rid of some other artifacts in Knockturn Alley. Not sure if he originally planned to just leave the book hidden in Flourish and bumping into Arthur decided to slip the diary to Ginny (in order to discredit Arthur), or whether he planned it from the beginning.

A good a father as he, personally, could be. Likely continued the role and lessons he learnt in turn from his father, Abraxas Malfoy. Has awlful morals, but Lucius taught his son what he truly believes. He seems to have a facade in public an aloof and haughty demeanor, yet he does apparently care deeply for his son.

On the flip side, he taught his son appalling ghastly morals and behaviour, so he was not a good example of a person to be esteemed and highly regarded.

Bellatrix Lestrange - insane sister-in-law, impatient, annoyance with her rashness (Ministry)and presumption (Malfoy Manor chapter), dislike.

Arthur Weasley - Dislike and rival to everything Lucius believes.

Draco Malfoy - Loves his son. His pledding to Voldemort in the Shrieking Shack made it clear his only thoughts were to find Draco. Plus, the impressive image of Lucius and Narcissa running through a battle, wandless, screaming for their son. Their embrace after the defeat of Voldemort, indicated supportive caring and affection I think shows this.

Albus Dumbledore - Respected the man's power (knowledge and magical) but looked down upon his beliefs as inferior and idotic in nature.

Narcissa Malfoy - Loves. Narcissa holding his hand under the table (Dark Lord Ascending) and drawing support and strength from each other, I think show this, as well as the previously mentioned united search for Draco and the family hug.

other Death Eaters - Rivals

Severus Snape - Lucius showed a young Snape, who he recognised did not have a pureblood name or have a well-cared for or adored air about him, yet still welcomed him pleasantly with a pat on the back. I think there was acceptance there, friendship, appreciated Snape's talent and cleverness, possibly acted as a bit of a mentor to young Snape. Narcissa also referred to them in HBP as being old friends.

Harry Potter - Curious, meddlesome, thankful in the end Harry did defeat Voldemort.

Yes, I believe so. He was in bad-graces with his Master, who's "anger was terrible to behold" for the loss and destruction of the diary Horcrux and for not searching for Voldemort during those eleven years. He had motivation to redeem himself in the eyes of Voldemort.

He could not ignore Voldemort's call and/or run away, as in the case of Igor Karkaroff, he would be discovered and killed; his family punished and possibly killed. Lucius continued to serve more and more out of fear for the lives of Narcissa and Draco. I don't think Lucius was happy about Voldemort's return because he had a stable and wealthy life, then suddenly reduced to punishments, life-threatening situations (himself and family) and a servant position with his home no longer his own.

Relieved his family were no longer threatened and in constant danger from Voldemort. Heavily subdued and apprehensive about their future.

All is my own opinion.

Last edited by Annielogic; March 24th, 2010 at 1:01 am. Reason: typo
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:12 am
Second Year

At the beginning, he was probably attracted to the temptations of power that being a Death Eater offered him. He serves Voldemort out of fear and duty, rather than loyalty.

He probably knew that it was immensely important, but did not know it was a horcrux, as Voldemort didn't tell any of his DEs about the horcruxes.

He definitely cares about Draco and tries to do what he thinks is best for him. However, Lucius was not exactly the best role model for Draco, so he was a good father in some respects, but not in others.

Bellatrix - Fellow DE and crazy sister of his wife.
Arthur - Blood traitor and person to look down upon. Definitely an enemy.
Draco - I think there's no one in the world he cares about more than his son.
Dumbledore - He probably recognized DD's power, but thought him a mad fool for his beliefs.
Narcisssa - I think they were a caring and loving couple.
Snape - A reliable family friend.
Harry - Probably thought Harry was a bit of an "obstacle", but glad he killed Voldemort.

I think he did, as he was anxious to redeem himself in the Dark Lord's eyes.

He couldn't just walk out on Voldemort. Seeing Karkaroff's example, we know what happens to people who did that. His loyalty was obviously wavering, and it didn't help that his son was being endangered for Voldemort's cause. He was probably fairly happy between position at the ministry and being a family man.

He was probably quite relieved that it was all over. At the beginning of DH, when all the DEs were sitting together, it's quite obvious that he wasn't completely happy in his position.

Proud supporter of: HWRKDJCKQ. I have yet to figure out what that means.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies