Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #721  
Old December 28th, 2011, 3:29 pm
yorkiedoodle's Avatar
yorkiedoodle  Female.gif yorkiedoodle is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2720 days
Location: Beautiful Yorkshire
Age: 56
Posts: 522
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

I am suspicious about your claim that

'considering it is directed by David Fincher, the decision to remake it seemed to be an artistic one'

because the original film was winning awards less than 12 months ago. Call me a cynic but I just smell Hollywood cashing in on the popularity of the franchise by deciding that the film needs to be remade in ENGLISH.

As regards your final comment - I was just concerned that OP's post might put some people off taking their kids to see it - which would be a shame! I have recommended it to a couple of friends who have been to see it with their kids and enjoyed it.

I shall just have to hope that people will read reviews and make educated decisions before they take their kids to see it!


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #722  
Old December 28th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Noldus  Male.gif Noldus is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3560 days
Location: North by northwest
Posts: 996
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
I am suspicious about your claim that

'considering it is directed by David Fincher, the decision to remake it seemed to be an artistic one'

because the original film was winning awards less than 12 months ago.
Fincher's The Social Network did too and his adaptation of TGWTDT is critically acclaimed and will probably win awards too. I hope they adapt the second and third books as well because the Swedish sequels were completely mediocre after the great first film.

As for Hugo, I have read that its messages are put in the background and get lost on kids in the same way as the homage to the film medium does, but if you don't think so, that's great. I haven't seen the film myself.



Last edited by Noldus; December 28th, 2011 at 5:28 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old December 28th, 2011, 5:58 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6042 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
As for Hugo, I have read that its messages are put in the background and get lost on kids in the same way as the homage to the film medium does, but if you don't think so, that's great. I haven't seen the film myself.
Not having seen Hugo, but yet, you say that this was a good review...?

Maybe you should see the movie yourself before making judgements.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old December 28th, 2011, 9:15 pm
ImperioVoldy  Undisclosed.gif ImperioVoldy is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 2621 days
Posts: 7
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
Actually the critic who I listen to (Mark Kermode) said that the new Dragon Tattoo movie was close to the original movie and he couldn't see the point in making the English language version. The rest of the world copes well with subtitles, but Hollywood feels the need to remake films.
And that critic is incorrect. Many additions were put in, scenes extended, and there's even a different ending. Plus, you have Fincher, one of the best directors working today handling it. He didn't even see the first adaptation. It's not a remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
As to different opinions on films I have no problem with people having opinions that differ from mine.. but to describe Hugo as terrible and advise people not to go and see it (with or without children) seems harsh to me.
I was only harsh because of the propaganda and the idea that art is more important than it is. It is a terrible movie to me. The production values don't magically erase what's wrapped in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
Rightly or wrongly I have the feeling that the original poster was dragged against his/her will to see this film.
Unfortunately, I was the one to choose to go see it. I'm not exactly sure why you think this. Perhaps because I didn't like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Not having seen Hugo, but yet, you say that this was a good review...?

Maybe you should see the movie yourself before making judgements.
I think he said my "review" was good because of how it focused on the faults and the poor story story instead of praising it without mentioning a single negative thing.

Edit: "review" is in quotations because I didn't write a proper review. It was basically a summary of my thoughts.



Last edited by ImperioVoldy; December 28th, 2011 at 9:35 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:52 pm
Noldus  Male.gif Noldus is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3560 days
Location: North by northwest
Posts: 996
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Not having seen Hugo, but yet, you say that this was a good review...?

Maybe you should see the movie yourself before making judgements.
What judgements? I was merely stating what I had read. Why is that any different than referencing positive reviews? I am going to watch the film with an open mind anyway. Reviews do not influence my opinion of films.

That a review is good doesn't necessarily mean I agree. Unfortunately this is the case with too many people in the world, sadly as demonstrated in this thread. Yes, I am harsh now, but that's my answer to stupidity. Why I think it's a good "review" (or summary of thoughts according the OP) is because it was insightful in a relatively short post.



Last edited by Noldus; December 28th, 2011 at 11:55 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #726  
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:18 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6042 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
That a review is good doesn't necessarily mean I agree. Unfortunately this is the case with too many people in the world, sadly as demonstrated in this thread. Yes, I am harsh now, but that's my answer to stupidity. Why I think it's a good "review" (or summary of thoughts according the OP) is because it was insightful in a relatively short post.
Your "answer to stupidity?" Yeah...

But lets ignore the 160+ "positive" reviews on another website because...you didn't read them...didn't think they were "good?" (or as you say "insightful...")

-----------------

Yesterday I rewatched the extended versio of the LOTR: Return of the King. And it was every bit as good as I remember.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #727  
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:26 am
Noldus  Male.gif Noldus is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3560 days
Location: North by northwest
Posts: 996
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Your "answer to stupidity?" Yeah...

But lets ignore the 160+ "positive" reviews on another website because...you didn't read them...didn't think they were "good?" (or as you say "insightful...")

-----------------
Yeah...Expecting someone not to be honest about their opinion just because it goes against the grain=stupidity.

I said nothing about those reviews. I have read a few, but not all of them. How you come to the conclusion that I choose to ignore them or didn't find them good or insightful is beyond me.



Reply With Quote
  #728  
Old December 29th, 2011, 1:11 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3343 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,270
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Hugo - 10/10

I saw this film today and adored it. All I knew about it going in was Scorsese, Kingsley, automaton, children on an adventure, and cinema. I knew the movie had film clips, but I did not know the big surprise
Spoiler: show
- i.e., that it is actually, at core, a biopic about Georges Melies, the man who invented the cinema of the imagination. And yes, it's a reasonably accurate biopic.

I would be hard pressed, though, to call this surprise a "bait and switch," given that the book on which the film is based spent a good bit of time on the NY Times Bestseller List, that it won a Caldecott Medal for children's literature, and that Scorsese and various film critics have been quite open about the fact that Kingsley is, in fact, playing Georges Melies.

What struck me about the film was that while yes, it does deal with the origins of cinema, it is first and foremost a film about people - the tragedies that break them, and the love and kindness that have the potential to repair the damage. And while it is a love letter to the pioneers of cinema, it is not merely an homage to film. It is an homage to dedication and to the passion for using one's gifts - whether those gifts involve selling flowers, making coffee, making toys, or - gasp!- making movies.

I found it an emotionally satisfying experience. It is certainly my favorite of all the Scorsese films I've seen.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Reply With Quote
  #729  
Old December 29th, 2011, 1:32 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6042 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Hugo - 10/10
What struck me about the film was that while yes, it does deal with the origins of cinema, it is first and foremost a film about people - the tragedies that break them, and the love and kindness that have the potential to repair the damage. And while it is a love letter to the pioneers of cinema, it is not merely an homage to film. It is an homage to dedication and to the passion for using one's gifts - whether those gifts involve selling flowers, making coffee, making toys, or - gasp!- making movies.

I found it an emotionally satisfying experience. It is certainly my favorite of all the Scorsese films I've seen.
That is one of the things that struck me in the movie was what broke Melies (WWI and its gritty reality), and the series of events that led to him getting "fixed."
I didn't want to play at guessing at what the future may hold (WWII), but I want to believe that such a "fix" was enduring. (And no, I'm too much of a wuss to look up the history)


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #730  
Old December 29th, 2011, 1:32 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5587 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
And that critic is incorrect. Many additions were put in, scenes extended, and there's even a different ending. Plus, you have Fincher, one of the best directors working today handling it. He didn't even see the first adaptation. It's not a remake.
Call it what you want, but it was a second take at the same source material and so, at best, displays a want for originality indicative of the main consumers of Hollywood who simply won't make the effort to move out of their comfort zone.

As for Fincher he has been blessed with extremely good writers. When he hasn't he has churned out predictable "thrillers" like Seven.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Reply With Quote
  #731  
Old December 29th, 2011, 2:24 am
ImperioVoldy  Undisclosed.gif ImperioVoldy is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 2621 days
Posts: 7
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
What struck me about the film was that while yes, it does deal with the origins of cinema, it is first and foremost a film about people - the tragedies that break them, and the love and kindness that have the potential to repair the damage. And while it is a love letter to the pioneers of cinema, it is not merely an homage to film. It is an homage to dedication and to the passion for using one's gifts - whether those gifts involve selling flowers, making coffee, making toys, or - gasp!- making movies.
Spoiler: show
I disagree with this because none of the characters are developed well, except perhaps for Melies, where the film makes a sudden shift where he becomes the main character. You also have characters who shouldn't even be present because they do not move the story along and are not relevant until the end. There is no homage to using one's gifts of selling flowers (underdeveloped and irrelevant). There is no homage to using one's gifts of making coffee (underdeveloped and irrelevant). These worthless characters create an overlong movie and do not have an important role until the end.

Now, Melies is probably the most hilarious character: he is mad at the world because his films were destroyed. So, he treats Hugo like trash. Well, that's too bad, Mr. Scorsese. What about those orphans being carted off that you used for comedic effect with the terrible Sasha Cohen? Despicable on all fronts, creating an homage to a medium that is solely entertainment and nothing else while allowing the audience to laugh at the misfortune of orphans at that time. Bravo, Mr. Scorsese. Here's your next Oscar.

Scorsese is now a hack filmmaker who deserved the box office bomb his latest work endured.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
As for Fincher he has been blessed with extremely good writers. When he hasn't he has churned out predictable "thrillers" like Seven.
His talent would still exist even with subpar writers. See: Alien 3 and Panic Room. If he didn't helm the new adaptation, it would have turned out to be horrific and derivative. Everything about that movie is the opposite.



Last edited by ImperioVoldy; December 29th, 2011 at 2:27 am.
Reply With Quote
  #732  
Old December 29th, 2011, 2:54 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3343 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,270
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
Spoiler: show
I disagree with this because none of the characters are developed well, except perhaps for Melies, where the film makes a sudden shift where he becomes the main character. You also have characters who shouldn't even be present because they do not move the story along and are not relevant until the end. There is no homage to using one's gifts of selling flowers (underdeveloped and irrelevant). There is no homage to using one's gifts of making coffee (underdeveloped and irrelevant). These worthless characters create an overlong movie and do not have an important role until the end.

Now, Melies is probably the most hilarious character: he is mad at the world because his films were destroyed. So, he treats Hugo like trash. Well, that's too bad, Mr. Scorsese. What about those orphans being carted off that you used for comedic effect with the terrible Sasha Cohen? Despicable on all fronts, creating an homage to a medium that is solely entertainment and nothing else while allowing the audience to laugh at the misfortune of orphans at that time. Bravo, Mr. Scorsese. Here's your next Oscar.

Scorsese is now a hack filmmaker who deserved the box office bomb his latest work endured.
Well, that is certainly your opinion. I, however, do not share it. So I think it's time to agree to disagree.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire
That is one of the things that struck me in the movie was what broke Melies (WWI and its gritty reality), and the series of events that led to him getting "fixed."

I didn't want to play at guessing at what the future may hold (WWII), but I want to believe that such a "fix" was enduring. (And no, I'm too much of a wuss to look up the history)
Even before the revelations about Melies, I was intrigued by the injuries to the Station Inspector and was pretty certain that they would have occurred during WWI. So the WWI theme permeates the film from its very first moments. The Station Master, in fact, is another character who must be "fixed."

In terms of biography...
Spoiler: show
Melies died in January 1938 and therefore did not live to see WWII. He would most likely have heard rumblings from Germany, but Germany had not yet taken Czechoslovakia, much less invaded Poland.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 29th, 2011 at 3:07 am. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote
  #733  
Old December 29th, 2011, 3:29 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5587 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
His talent would still exist even with subpar writers. See: Alien 3 and Panic Room.
Thanks for proving my point Alien 3 was a sub-par films. A view held not just by me. A3 scored on 39% on Rotten Tomatoes. Panic Room scored 77% but most of that I would put down to Jodie Foster. David Koepp is an average writer.

Quote:
If he didn't helm the new adaptation, it would have turned out to be horrific and derivative. Everything about that movie is the opposite.
Unless you have psychic powers you have no idea how the remake would have been.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; December 29th, 2011 at 3:53 am.
Reply With Quote
  #734  
Old December 29th, 2011, 3:44 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6042 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
In terms of biography...
Spoiler: show
Melies died in January 1938 and therefore did not live to see WWII. He would most likely have heard rumblings from Germany, but Germany had not yet taken Czechoslovakia, much less invaded Poland.
That's a bittersweet note...good to know though.

Pity that for this particular movie, its commercial success, isn't equal to its critical success. It looks like it may take home quite a few awards next year.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #735  
Old December 29th, 2011, 3:55 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3343 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,270
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Thanks for proving my point Alien 3 was a sub-par films. A view held not just by me. A3 scored on 39% on Rotten Tomatoes. Panic Room scored 77% but most of that I would put down to Jodie Foster. David Koepp is a terrible writer.
Alien 3 is not merely sub-par. It's rather terrible imo - though probably not quite as bad as Alien Resurrection. Fincher is fortunate that Hollywood gave him another shot after that debut.

That said, I have no opinion on the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. My big question ever since I heard they were doing it was "Why?" Maybe I'll watch it on video in about 5 years. And maybe I won't. But for now, I'm quite satisfied with the Swedish version.

Re. Hugo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire
Pity that for this particular movie, its commercial success, isn't equal to its critical success. It looks like it may take home quite a few awards next year.
The theater this morning was rather full, much fuller than I expected, based on Box Office reports. Also, a good many people stayed to watch the closing credits. So I think this film is building a lot of positive word-of-mouth - at least in my market. Based on what I saw this morning, this could be a sleeper that stays under the radar but stays for a while. No theaters in my market are removing it from the lineup. It is scheduled to remain in first-run theaters around here at least through next week and possibly beyond.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 29th, 2011 at 3:57 am.
Reply With Quote
  #736  
Old December 29th, 2011, 3:58 am
ImperioVoldy  Undisclosed.gif ImperioVoldy is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 2621 days
Posts: 7
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Thanks for proving my point Alien 3 was a sub-par films. A view held not just by me. A3 scored on 39% on Rotten Tomatoes. Panic Room scored 77% but most of that I would put down to Jodie Foster. David Koepp is a terrible writer.
I actually like Alien 3 quite a bit. Fincher's visual skills were prevalent there as well. he creates a claustrophobic environment quite well.

I really don't know how many freaking times I have to say this: Rotten Tomatoes is irrelevant in every sense of the word. It's a worthless aggregate site whose methodology is severely flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Unless you have psychic powers you have no idea how the remake would have been.
I honestly think other directors would have toned down the violence against women in the film. I also think they would most certainly not have chosen to film it in a methodical and slow manner, symbolizing how long investigations take, especially ones that haven't been solved.

Once again, it's not a remake, so please stop calling it that. The only similarities lie in the source material.

Midnight: Hugo will win awards because it strokes worthless filmmakers' egos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
That said, I have no opinion on the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. My big question ever since I heard they were doing it was "Why?" Maybe I'll watch it on video in about 5 years. And maybe I won't. But for now, I'm quite satisfied with the Swedish version.
They figured it would have been a cash cow. It's not one, however. They made a mistake releasing it during the holidays.



Last edited by ImperioVoldy; December 29th, 2011 at 4:01 am.
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old December 29th, 2011, 4:20 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6042 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
Midnight: Hugo will win awards because it strokes worthless filmmakers' egos.
You can't like many movies with that unkindly an opinion about filmakers.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old December 29th, 2011, 4:54 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3343 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,270
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
They figured it would have been a cash cow. It's not one, however. They made a mistake releasing it during the holidays.
I would agree with that. I think they overestimated the audience for the film... or at least they used a poor release strategy.

In this area, for example, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is playing on two screens. I'm sure it's doing the same in several other major markets. And that's enough of a release for it to qualify for 2011 Awards nominations. (I'm speaking strategy. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I have no opinion on whether it deserves to qualify for Awards).

The Fincher version of Dragon Tattoo could have used a similar release strategy in order to qualify rather than try to go for a general release on Christmas weekend. That was just a disaster waiting to happen for a film like Dragon Tattoo. It's not a movie most people are going to want to see at Christmas. (I haven't seen it, but I have seen the Swedish version of this story, and I've seen a number of Fincher films - so I'm assuming Fincher's version is not watered down).

Also, regarding the possible overestimation of audience...

The Swedish version did pretty good business in the U.S. It arrived on American screens in March 2010, and it did not leave for nearly a year. It was simultaneously on the big screen and doing a brisk business in video rental and online streaming.

So basically, we're talking about a movie whose Swedish incarnation has barely left, and now we're being asked to watch an American film based on the same story. The overall timing is, imo, rather poor - not just the holiday release timing.

It's likely that a substantial number of people who were potentially interested in watching this story on screen have already seen the Swedish film - and many of us see little reason for an American version at this time. It's too early for "nostalgia" to set in, and I would guess that most of the people who have any potential interest in the story are not the same people who refuse to read subtitles.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 29th, 2011 at 5:43 am.
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old December 29th, 2011, 6:13 am
phoenix88's Avatar
phoenix88  Female.gif phoenix88 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4198 days
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,416
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Yes, I think timing probably contributed to the less than expected box office for TGWDT. I read the book, but just didn't want to see something so dark and violent on Christmas. That's why we ended up going with Sherlock Holmes.


Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old December 29th, 2011, 7:11 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5587 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
Once again, it's not a remake, so please stop calling it that. The only similarities lie in the source material.
It's the second iteration from the same source material so it's a remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperioVoldy View Post
I actually like Alien 3 quite a bit. Fincher's visual skills were prevalent there as well. he creates a claustrophobic environment quite well.
"Quite well" is not a patch on what Ridley Scott achieves.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; December 29th, 2011 at 7:14 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:05 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.