Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old June 8th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

American Sniper--got a lot of press as people debated the morality of it, but I thought it was more nuanced than the media coverage suggested. A thought-provoking, well made movie. I don't know that I could say that I "liked" it, but I think it was worth seeing. Disclaimer--I am and have always been adamantly opposed to the Iraq War (and the discussion of that doesn't belong in this thread), but I don't think this film is actually pro-war the way some of its critics have suggested. It's a lot less black-and-white than that.

Kingsman: The Secret Service--this movie was a hoot! Great performances by Colin Firth, Samuel L Jackson, and Taron Edgerton, fantastic action sequences, and some funny references to the superspy genre. Definitely not kid-friendly, so be warned.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 6:11 am
Curse Breaker

Big Hero 6 sort of missed for me. I'd give it maybe 6.5. Good art, interesting posse. Nice change with the villain, but overall...blah.

I'm hoping for great things from Inside Out.

Kingsman was about two thirds of a bloody hoot and then Firth's last action piece sort of spun the film into nowhere. In spite of the fact that the grosses pale in comparison to the Jurassic Park monster that just got unleashed, I don't think the latter third of that film happens in quite that way if the studio has any idea whatsoever that it has a sleeper hit on its hands. Sleeper hits in this genre generate sequel buzz. This can't do that because of how it ended.

Nonetheless, a fun film.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old June 18th, 2015, 3:08 pm
Member of the Order

I liked Tomorrowland. I kinda thought that the message of optimism and hope for something better wasn't going to go down too well. Admittedly it could have been better said, however I liked it despite it. The trailers that I saw for this movie focused on the two leads, so the little girl that came out of nowhere (or so it seemed to me) stealing the show was a surprise.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:27 pm
Sixth Year

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 8.5/10

Beautiful, exciting, mysterious, scary at moments, and sooooo Spielberg. I loved it ad I can't believed I never watched it before!

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:00 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 8.5/10

Beautiful, exciting, mysterious, scary at moments, and sooooo Spielberg. I loved it ad I can't believed I never watched it before!
I agree with your assessment, that's one of my favorite scifi films. I loved the subtlety in depicting how the vision planted in chosen peoples' heads would keep showing up...like Richard Dreyfuss and the mashed potatoes during family dinner.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 22nd, 2015, 2:55 am
Curse Breaker

The Hunger Games - 8/10
I usually don't care for dystopia themed movies, however I've been meaning to watch this specifically for Jennifer Lawrence's acting (having seen her in "Silver Linings Playbook"). I enjoyed it more than I thought overall, and Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal did not disappoint.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old July 4th, 2015, 4:36 am
Member of the Order

Terminator: Genisys

Even though it hit all the notes, the script was pretty much a mess. And fairly mindless. It's too easy to say it was better than the last two.

Maybe I'm just jonesing for the Sarah Connor Chronicles...which wasn't mindless at all, or maybe I wish that Jim Cameron would come back to the franchise. (Comparing that 2nd movie to this one may not be fair but it does show just how weak this one is)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old July 5th, 2015, 5:14 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Jurassic World--nothing tops the original Jurassic Park, but this is the best Jurassic movie since then. Lots of action, a fair amount of humor, and some good acting by the leads. Not perfect by a long shot, but a good popcorn movie for the summer.

Inside Out--a definite win by Pixar, this movie had a lot of heart and imagination. The voice acting was really good, and the concept was well executed, with some really poignant moments and some really funny bits. The short that preceded the movie, Lava, was sweet and well done too.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Sixth Year

Snow White and the Huntsman - 2/10

It feels impossible someone got actually paid to write this nonsensical story. Things are happening all the time, but there's no rhtym. Several scenes (like the troll or the Dark Forest) seemed to be there just to engross the CGI budget. The tone is meant to be dark, but then they include that bit about the fairy forest and the white stag, so corny that in comparation the Disney version looks like Tim Burton. Charlize Theron is OK, and Chris Hemsworth doesn't hurt much. But Kristen Stewart's acting make you cheer for the Evil Queen.

In short, a total waste of time.

Old July 12th, 2015, 2:05 am
Curse Breaker

Theron would be okay or more than okay if they asked her to do more than scream for 80% of her scenes. The accent safari also didn't help. The dwarves are English, the common townspeople are from a different part of England. Hemsworth is Scots or Irish or something. Theron and her brother sound South African (Afrikaner accent). And Kristen Stewart is doing Midwest flat. It's all taking place in the fantastical realm of Nowhere.

Yikes. What a waste of Bob Hoskins' talents to stick him in this turkey. Plus, it made enough money that they're thinking about some sort of sequel with Theron back. What? Why? How? Is the viewing public actually supposed to pay for this?

Old July 18th, 2015, 3:56 am
Curse Breaker

On more recent fare.

I'd give Inside Out maybe a 7.5 or an 8/10. Interesting concept that was executed well. Excellent voice acting. And an animation smorgasbord.

Jurassic World--8/10 on effects, 4.5/10 story and character development. That's really odd because they took their time with some of the casting, but not everything clicked. And rooting for a raptor pack/pride was a singularly odd feeling even if that was well done.

I'd give Ant Man a solid 7/10. Rudd and his merry sidekicks did quite well. Douglas had a decent amount of gravitas in the role. Evangeline Lilly did okay. Not great, but not terrible. No Blake Lively or Kate Bosworth moments in there. There was some nice connective tissue with the rest of the Marvel Universe and it hung together well, even if it had a difficult trip from concept to screen.

Old July 19th, 2015, 1:32 am
Member of the Order

Saw Ant-Man and I thought it was that good. It wasn't something earth-shaking, it was down to earth. Lang wasn't doing the hero schtick to save the world, he was doing it to see his daughter. It stayed on a personal level and it worked very well.

Some surprises:
Spoiler: show
The beginning opening up on a high level meet with Pym and Stark's dad and the security dude for Shield, who made the mistake of saying something derogatory about Hank's wife, who we didn't know at the time died a hero. And Hank bloodying the guy's nose. Dude looked at Stark's dad like in protest. And Stark essentially saying "You deserved that."

Cameo of the Falcon...and getting his head handed to him by Ant-Man. Lol!

The utility of the various species of ants. That definitely deserves applause.

I had more fun with this movie than the Age of Ultron.

Old July 26th, 2015, 5:33 am
Curse Breaker

It was a lot of fun and a pleasant surprise after the predicted gloom and doom for three months. I'm not sure if there was more fun in that film than in the Avengers sequel, but it definitely was a different kind of fun. Also noteworthy--Evangeline Lilly did a serviceable but not spectacular job as
Spoiler: show
The New Wasp
I'm not sure about casting for a possible sequel or for either the Captain America thing or the Infinity Wars pair.

Old August 1st, 2015, 9:06 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Finally got to see Jurassic World. Really liked it. Some things were off putting.

Claire got on my nerves so much at first. Her character was so self involved at first that it made me want to slap her upside her head.

Way too much product placement! I know it was partially meant to poke at corporations doing that so much these days… but at times it felt like it was being thrown at me, over and over.

How the kids were able to start the old school jeeps. There’s NO way that would have been able to be done, given the environment imo. No matter how closed off it was. It’s hot and humid, and I’m willing to bet that the engines and the batteries of those cars would have been rusted out and corroded after over 20 years of neglect and non use.

Other than that though, I really liked the film. Loved the CGI and the dinosaurs themselves. They were the REAL stars. Hands down. Looking forward to the sequel in 2018.

It gets a 7/10 overall.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 11th, 2015, 5:04 pm
Sixth Year

Diplomatie, 6.8/10

The movie is basically a conversation between General von Choltitz, last German military governor of Paris, and Raoul Nordling, Swedish consul-general, on the night before the allies enter Paris. Von Choltitz has been ordered by Hitler to destroy the city, its monuments and, on the way, most of its population. Nordling tries to convince him to disobey and save the city.

Obviously, we all know that Paris wasn't blown up on August 24, 1944. However, the intelligent script and the wonderful acting make you forget what you know, and keep the suspense. Rating would probably be higher if I had watched it in French and at home, and not on a train and dubbed.

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Diplomatie, 6.8/10

The movie is basically a conversation between General von Choltitz, last German military governor of Paris, and Raoul Nordling, Swedish consul-general, on the night before the allies enter Paris. Von Choltitz has been ordered by Hitler to destroy the city, its monuments and, on the way, most of its population. Nordling tries to convince him to disobey and save the city.

Obviously, we all know that Paris wasn't blown up on August 24, 1944. However, the intelligent script and the wonderful acting make you forget what you know, and keep the suspense. Rating would probably be higher if I had watched it in French and at home, and not on a train and dubbed.
Was it dubbed into English? This movie sounds interesting. I doubt I'll be able to find it, though.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old August 14th, 2015, 3:02 pm
Sixth Year

^^^
Spanish

Old August 15th, 2015, 3:42 am
Sixth Year

Ah. I found it with English subtitles, but I don't really want to try reading subtitles on my laptop. It does sound like a film I'd like though. I'll have to keep it in mind.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old August 15th, 2015, 4:58 pm
Member of the Order

I saw the Fantastic Four.
Low bar set...and yet, not even...

Had almost no expectations that this would be any better than the two previous craptastic four movies. And it couldn't even meet what little I had. (Characterization? That's all I wanted. but no...)
The movie cost $200 million to make and opened up to a disastrous $26 million. I could only hope my expectation that it will put the kibosh on the planned sequel can at least be met.

Old August 16th, 2015, 4:14 am
Curse Breaker

I think...I think the "Fantastic Four" sequel went the way of the "Green Lantern" sequel given that it's having a hard time reaching Green Lantern money four years later. Wow. I have mercifully avoided this one. The cast didn't make sense to me, for a start.

Kate Mara? I like her. She's beautiful. She's got some chops. But...as Sue Storm? Hmm.

Jamie Bell as The Thing? As Hank before that? Jamie Bell as muscle? How is that supposed to make sense? Now, he did get into show-off shape for the role, but he doesn't make sense as Hank. I might have bought him as Reed.

Speaking of Reed--look. Miles Teller has proven that he can rise to good material, but when he doesn't have it (or the hint of it) to begin with--he can't create good out of whole cloth. I've heard astounding things about Whiplash. There's some good stuff in Spectacular Now. But, mostly what I see is the big, loud, dumb stuff that he just hides in. (Divergent Series; That Awkward Moment; etc.). And his chemistry with Kate Mara...um, well...I didn't see any. And whoever cut that trailer worked REALLY hard to make this thing look cohesive.

Instead, I saw The Man from Uncle, which was supposed to be sleek and somewhat charming. Bits of it were sleek. Some moments were interesting. By and large, meh. Maybe 5/10. It's perhaps the best thing Armie Hammer's had a lead role in, but that bar is incredibly low. Kingsman was a pleasant surprise. A wiseacre spy caper/spoof in one that delighted in crashing off the rails in the last half hour. This didn't have much soul in spite of what could be an interesting cast. Even Spy which had its own limitations was a more effective and appealing package than this one. Weird.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion