Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Fleur Delacour: Character Analysis

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Unspeakable

Fleur Delacour: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Fleur Delacour. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Fleur Delacour: Character Analysis

-How has Fleur's character developed over the three books in which she has appeared? Has her behavior changed your initial opinion of her?

-Fleur will obviously turn up in the last book if only in her role as bride. Her wedding planning affected the people around her, but how out of line was she to be focusing on that (if at all)? Was it in character? Was it realistic?

-How alike are Fleur and Molly? Fleur and other female characters? Do other females dislike her for the Veela affect or because of her personality in general?

-What do you think of Fleur's role in DH? What new strengths did she reveal?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:16 pm
Second Year

Re: Fleur Delacour: Character Analysis

Do we know who made Fleur's wand? Oviously we learned about Gregorovich making Krum's wand.... but who would use a veela hair? and why?

Which HP Kid Are You?
Hagrid SS pg 86"yeh'll have a great time at Hogwarts - I did - still do, 'smatter of fact"
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Fifth Year

We do not know who made Fleur's wand.

I think Fleur really developed as a character over the time that we've known her. In GoF, we saw a spoiled, ethnocentric, self-centered girl who basically thought that anything that wasn't French wasn't good enough for her. Over the course of HBP and DH, she evolved into someone who cares about other people's feelings and is a lot more accepting of things that are unfamiliar to her. In the Tri-Wizard tournament, she seemed not to be very tough and the Imperiused Krum had no trouble overpowering her. Now, she is a capable witch and she was a valuable member of the resistance against Voldemort. It is nice to see that she is no longer spoiled and used to being doted on and she can really fend for herself now. I thought that the way she ended DH was very satisfying.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:23 pm
Mrs Grawp

I liked Fleur before DH and I am happy how she got portrayed.

Allthough she seemed to be a vain woman, only concerned about her looks and her wedding, a bit rude to the Weasleys, we see something very important about her in DH:

She is an Order Member.
She risks her life taking the Polyjuice potion impersonating Harry, and her quote on that was brilliant! Instead of being all worried about her life, she worries of Bill seeing her ugly! I mean, how cool is that? I'm sure she was perfectly aware of the risks and what she was doing, but she still gave some light-heartness into the whole trip.

I also liked how she is still close to her sister, so much younger than her.

Fleur rocks

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:36 am
Third Year

Fleur turned out to be so much cooler that I ever thought. What she was like is what I thought Tonks would be like.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:36 am
First Year

I think I knew that Fleur was great from the beginning. I mean, if she was selected as the representative for Beaux Batons for the Triwizard, then she must have had extraordinary abilities to warrant that recommendation. I think it was just unfortunate that everyone thought she was shallow because she was half veela.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:35 am
First Year

Fleur has always intrigued me a little bit. There are times when she seems a bit vain, but then she still hangs around with Bill, even though he has the scars. I think she is one of those people that could very well have corrupted values, but honestly has the pureness inside her to have a good heart.

I was discussing the franchise with my dad over dinner once, and he suggested that "that girl would turn out to be bad." I think he was referring to Cho Chang, but I thought of Fleur Delacour, and the chances that she would be marrying into the Weasley family to leak information to Voldemort. Eventually it became clear that she was one of the good gals, though.

I'm not sure if J.K. Rowling was too big on the character. In the Triwizard Cup, she had her need saving (if I recall), and she has moments where her superficial French attitude almost plays like parody ("Don't look at me, Bill. I'm hideous!"). I'm glad that Rowling did do her character some justice, though, but making her into a generally nice person with a good soul.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pheonix View Post
and she has moments where her superficial French attitude almost plays like parody ("Don't look at me, Bill. I'm hideous!").
hem hem. What do you mean superficial french attitude?

I actually loved that bits of her, because it shows that a powerful witch and brave person can at the same time be coquette and vain. I mean it gave a really nice touch to the 7 Potter scenes, where they were all risking their lives, that she actually worries about her looks

I also liked her second name Isabelle

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:01 pm
Second Year

LOVED how Fleur developed! In GOF, she was so haughty and one-sided, and here she is a mature, amusing, brave and capable witch. I was very surprised (albeit, pleasantly) to see her volunteer to be one of the 7 Potters. She puts her life on the line and then shares her home during what should have been a honeymoon period? She's come a long way, baby

The lady believes: Dumbledore is, regrettably, deceased - confirmed by JKR 08-02-06 ; Snape is on the good side; Harry will survive Book 7; Draco is not a werewolf; R.A.B. is Regulus A. Black; Snape was at Spinner's End; Fawkes will return; Lily's big secret is ~ not a freakin' clue...

Family: The Wise and Enigmatic House of Dumbledore; High profile, highly respected, and quite, quite mad.Wand:10 1/2 inches, cedar and floo powder, a strange Gregorovitch combination. Rescue Mission: Harry, the leader. Fantastic Beast: Hippogriff; proud, respected, loved. Animagus: Fox. Personality: Severus Snape INTJ Marauder: Padfoot; loyal, protective, temperamental, wild. Marriages: Mrs. Cedric Diggory, Mrs. George Weasley, Mrs. Albus Dumbledore. 40% obsessed
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyDumbledore View Post
LOVED how Fleur developed! In GOF, she was so haughty and one-sided, and here she is a mature, amusing, brave and capable witch. I was very surprised (albeit, pleasantly) to see her volunteer to be one of the 7 Potters. She puts her life on the line and then shares her home during what should have been a honeymoon period? She's come a long way, baby
I wasn't keen on Fleur in GoF, and even less in HBP until the very end when she proved herself to not be totally superficial. I liked her a lot in DH though. I too was suprised she volunteered to be one of the seven Potters, she has grown a lot, I think.

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:29 am
Second Year

She seemed very similar to Molly when she was welcoming the others to her home. I think she has grown up and matured wonderfully into a well rounded and plesant lady.

Old July 26th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'd like to agree with whoever else finds her asking Bill not to look at her for being, in her own words, " 'ideous" really really funny. Which was also what I thought when Harry told her at Shell Cottage that they needed to leave, and he noted that she looked like Mrs Weasley- when in fact, she was a Mrs Weasley by then.
And she definitely has her moments- like asking Remus how little Teddy was, to cover up the awkwardness of Percy's return.

Old July 26th, 2007, 8:42 pm
First Year

Fleur is among the most girly girls of the series. She cares a lot about how she looks and has always been beautiful, except perhaps when she transforms into Harry. She cares about how other people see her, especially Bill. Other women in the series care more about intelligence and actions than beauty: ginny and hermione for example. However, it can be argued that the reason that Ginny and Hermione and Molly are initially so against Fleur is because they are jealous of her beauty and how much attention she gets from men.

Old July 26th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Fifth Year

I loved Fleur in this book. She was a complete star, and despite her pride in her own appearance, completely not shallow when it comes to others. Her comment to Bill not to look at her because she was hideous was hilarious. The book had so little humour but she did provide some of it.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion?’ Vygotsky
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm
First Year

Vain? always. But she was never a silly or stupid girl. She was clearly outmatched in GoF, but she did get past the dragon - no easy task.
When she was forced to withdraw from the second task she was devastated, and never forgot Harry's kindness to Gabrielle. In DH she is still grateful for it, even though she must know as well as Harry did that her sister was never in danger.
She's finally "spread her wings" as the loyal and brave woman she is. And she's done it all looking spectacular.

Old July 28th, 2007, 1:54 pm
[user title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I'd like to agree with whoever else finds her asking Bill not to look at her for being, in her own words, " 'ideous" really really funny. Which was also what I thought when Harry told her at Shell Cottage that they needed to leave, and he noted that she looked like Mrs Weasley- when in fact, she was a Mrs Weasley by then.
And she definitely has her moments- like asking Remus how little Teddy was, to cover up the awkwardness of Percy's return.
No, the reason that they did that was because they thought Percy was there to spy. They wanted it to look like a party to celebrate the birth of Teddy, instead of the staging point for their battle against Voldy.

I think that Fluer was just acting the way she thought she was supposed to act, otherwise Bill would not have fallen in love with her. He must have seen some of those good qualities in her. The looks may get Fluer more attention than most girls, but if she doesn't have personality to back it up, she is not going to hold any guys attention more than for a few dates.
I think once she was married and she got to know her knew family better and found out she did not have to guard her real self.
That actually reminds me of a fairytale about a princess who had a beautiful younger sister and she was very plain. There was a prophecy that said that on the Princess' wedding day she would become beautiful.
The younger sister could not get married until the older sister did. I don't remember all of it, but On her wedding day she is beautiful. The moral was that she was always beautiful', she just needed love to let her beauty be seen.
Also I think that Fluers wand was specially made for her with a hair from her Relative.

Old July 28th, 2007, 3:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
No, the reason that they did that was because they thought Percy was there to spy. They wanted it to look like a party to celebrate the birth of Teddy, instead of the staging point for their battle against Voldy.
Funny, I never thought of that. But it still feels more like a statement made to take the edge off the situation than a defence against a spy- they must have known Aberforth wouldn't have let him through the passage if he thought Percy was there as a spy (and Aberforth must have known, most of the Order probably had a good idea why Percy had split from the family).
Personally, I think Fleur isn't as shallow as people like to think. Her standoffishness in GoF was almost entirely overcome by Harry pulling her sister out of the lake- clearly showing that family mattered a lot to her (which is also made clear in the scene around Bill's sickbed in HBP- she'd come to consider him her family by then). Plus, if her half-Veela mother married someone who by conventional standards was a lot less attractive than she was, judging people by their looks isn't something Fleur does.

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I was pleasantly surprised how Fleur matured in this book. I thought she was pretty shallow in the others, except when she said she'd stick by Bill when Fenrir had got him. She genuinely seemed to love Bill and he was a really nice guy so she sould have turned out OK. I thought it was lovely at her wedding when her beauty made others look beautiful too - it gave the hint that she wasn't really self-centred. And I thought she was marvellous in her own home, caring for all her visitors without complaining. And she did remind me of Molly when she was cooking. Marriage seemed to make Fleur a super person - she was always a very good witch.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 29th, 2007, 8:18 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I thought she was pretty shallow in the others, except when she said she'd stick by Bill when Fenrir had got him.
I don't think she was shallow. She always was vain regarding her looks (but honestly, not without reason ) and therefore she knew of the reactions she provoques in others.
Nonetheless the person she most misses in GoF is not a random crush or best friend like the others, but her sister. I thought that showed quite something about her priorities.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Also I think that Fluers wand was specially made for her with a hair from her Relative.

It was, at the wand weighing in GoF she tells Ollivander that the Veela hair in the core of her wand was her grandmother's.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies