Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:53 pm
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

the castle looks different in different films i reckon....thats wierd!

Old August 14th, 2006, 5:33 am
Seventh Year

Too many but my biggest one is when they use parts of the books that aren't important but don't use those that ARE important. Like a certain map.*cough*

Old August 14th, 2006, 9:29 am
First Year

When instead of adding scenes from the book, they make up new ones.

Ron: Damn.
Old August 14th, 2006, 9:41 am
Fifth Year

Number one for me would be "Movie" Hermione, especially in PoA, and to a lesser extent GoF. She was so uncanon, and her role was increased. She stole lines and scenes from others.
Along with the 'scene stealing" of Hermione comes the ruining of Ron's character and role. In PoA, he is virtually only there for comic relief. His brave line was stolen and all he did was act scared and comment on Hermione's absence.
I also hate my favourite parts of the books being left out or changed. a prime example of that is the explanation of Harry's Patronus and the Marauders map.

Old August 14th, 2006, 5:13 pm
Fifth Year

Dumbledore's constantly changing beard length in GOF. What the heck? One minute it's waist length, the next it's barely longer than Hagrids, then it's tied in different places, then it's tied tighter. I can understand the lack of continuity with the tie, but how can the length of the actual beard prop keep changing like that?! It's a minor thing, but it annoys me, as does the films insistence in having the twins finish each others sentences all the time. Enough!

Old August 15th, 2006, 5:50 am
Fifth Year

How they rush the endings without really tying up loose ends. The movies leave out so much.

*Thanks Dedalus Diggle for the cool and hilarious siggie.
Old August 15th, 2006, 8:15 pm
Fourth Year

Draco(tom) i mean wow....

Old August 31st, 2006, 5:43 pm
Third Year

It drives me crazy that they keep moving Hagrid's hut to different locations. It wouldn't be so bad if JKR had written into the story that, like magical staircases, the Hogwarts grounds and buildings constantly rearrange themselves. But she didn't. So it bugs me.

Also, the scene in PoA where Harry, Ron, Neville, and Seamus are eating those stupid candies that make them sound like animals was SO painfully stupid. You could tell by the looks on the actors' faces that they thought it was ridiculous, too. Ron's lion imitation scene was so embarrassing it makes me want to look away from the screen every time. Harry got off easy because he didn't have to act like he was an animal - steam just came out of his ears.

It was a scene I could definitely have been happier without!

Old August 31st, 2006, 6:14 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysia
e.

Also, the scene in PoA where Harry, Ron, Neville, and Seamus are eating those stupid candies that make them sound like animals was SO painfully stupid. You could tell by the looks on the actors' faces that they thought it was ridiculous, too. Ron's lion imitation scene was so embarrassing it makes me want to look away from the screen every time. Harry got off easy because he didn't have to act like he was an animal - steam just came out of his ears.

Well I loved it.

This is what a good director does, instead of having his actors gawk stupidly at some uninteresting special effect and say "WoW" over and over, which was Columbus's idea of conveying magic.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old August 31st, 2006, 6:19 pm
Fourth Year

I don't like the HP actors Dan,Rupert,or Emma there to predictiable.

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Fifth Year

I hate when they change things unnecessarily. Things that do not add to the plot or makes the story better. One example is Nigel. This boy could simply be Dennis. There was no reason to change the character.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old February 15th, 2007, 2:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
it doesn't annoy me as such, but it annoys everyone around me, because I burst out laughing at random intervals when watching. Not for any particular reason, as far as I can fathom, although it may be because there are quite a few uber-cheesy moments.
I totally agree. We were watching CoS in music class (?) and I started laughing for no reason. They try to make the plot very obvious. Like how the camera tilts whenever something mildly dramatic happens. i.e. in study hall when they are talking about the chamber of secrets, it does this weird thing when it zooms in on Ginny the camera tilts and you hear the ominous HP music? WHAT? Let me guess. Who really opens the chamber of secrets? Flitwick? I also burst out laughing for no point, and eventually I'll watch the movies and root for the bad guys. GO basilisk!

Quote:
Thus far it's been a minor pet peeve. I really wish the makeup folks would remember how they placed the scar on Dan's head, so they won't have the thing moving all over the place.
I suggest they draw an x on his forehead with washable marker. That would seemingly solve all their problems, but will they listen to me? I think not.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old February 15th, 2007, 7:08 pm
First Year

I agree with the cap it looks like something sleepy from the 7 dwarfs wore.

I don't like the fact that they cut certain things out of the movies. for example Dudley had a friend with him at the zoo in COS. How about not assuming everyone knows who Frank Bryce is and give a bacground in GOF.
They could have threw in the scene in SS before Harry was left at the doorstep, where uncle Vernon is going to work and sees all sorts of commotion and heres Lily's name being talked about, it would have been a good lead in. Not to mention all the characters they cut out of the movies that have a somewhat important part in the books.

It also drove me nuts that they didn't explain how Barty Crouch Jr. got out of Azkaban and became Moody.

Old February 16th, 2007, 1:03 am
First Year

They leave way too much out!!!! I wish we could have seen at least PART of the quidditch world cup match, and the veela too!

Old February 16th, 2007, 5:04 am
First Year

okay i havnt read all of these, so i dont know if someone has already said this, and i apologize if someone already has. i like all the actors. Some i think are better than others. But i think that Rupert is very natural and never over acts. That being said, sometimes I think he could do a LITTLE more. Like in POA when Malfoy calls Hermione "mudblood", Rupert just kind of stands there and waits for the next line or waits for the next event. That bugs me bc in the books, Ron goes crazy everytime Malfoy offends Hermione....I know that may be a stupid pet peeve, but i duno, it bugs me haha.

second, it bugs me how Emma clings to Dan ALL THE TIME! has everyone ever noticed that?? shes not just around him, she clings to him in all the scenes! it gives H/Hr shippers hope! haha just kidding...but that bugs me too! but like i said, i like them all!

Old February 16th, 2007, 1:40 pm
First Year

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the books & HATE HATE HATE the movies!
Bad acting, idiotic "extra" scenes & missing out some of my fave sections.
Goblet of Fire barely hung together at all in my opinion because of all the sections they missed out - think about it, if you hadn't read the book before you wouldn't have a clue what was going on at all!
they miss out most of the Quidditch World Cup which is one of the best descriptive sections in the book - very annoying!
Despite my moaning, i will no doubt go to see the new one when it's released!!

Old February 17th, 2007, 9:46 am
Second Year

HP movie pet peeves? A couple. The biggest one must be Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. As far as I see it, Dumbledore has not been present in PoA and GoF. There IS, however, some weird-looking, middleaged dude running around in a grey nightshirt. Dunno what he's doing there, but he's not Dumbledore.

Minor things - Emma Watson overacting in the entire GoF, the cliffhanger-stunts in the first task and the horrible, horrible scene at the ending of PoA where "Dumbledore" constantly hit Ron on his bad leg in the hospital wing. The entire scene is so uncanon - not to mention badly acted - that it makes me cringe everytime.

Old February 17th, 2007, 9:55 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysia View Post

I agree wholeheartedly! In that wasted few minutes, the could have used the time to explain the Marauders Map a little better! That is my ultimate annoyance about PoA. It would have taken thirty seconds to extend Sirius's line to "The map never lies, we should know, we wrote/created/invented it!"

Also, Emma Watson's portrayal of Hermione doesn't work for me. At all.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old February 18th, 2007, 2:23 pm
First Year

1. Leaving out the Marauders storyline.
2. Wrong casting for Sirius.
3. Wrong casting for Lupin. I imagined him to look a lot more approachable. Thewlis just doesn't fit and neither does his mustache.
4. Hermione. Emma kind of looks the part (at least in the first movie before she started changing around her hair), but her acting is just off.
5. I imagined Ron with a much thinner nose, shorter hair, and he should be gangly. Also- freckles!
6. I'm not really sure how to describe what's wrong with Dan, but he's just not... Harry. And the blue eyes really annoy me, because of all the characters Harry's eyes are not only really distinctive but important!
7. Gambon doesn't suit Dumbledore. His acting and overall look kill me.
8. The werewolf Remus was just... pathetic. It looked like some sort of monkey.
9. Hagrid should be much larger than he is in the books. He's twice the height of an average man. I didn't expect the movies to get it right, though.
10. McGonagall has black hair.
11. I hate Draco's new Aaron Carter hairstyle.
12. I hate when Hermione says "That felt good!" or something along those lines after she punches (when she should've slapped) Malfoy.
13. Cedric Diggory was completely different in my mind. He was a lot more handsome.
14. I hated the shrunken heads in the Knight's Bus.

What annoys me most about the movies is useless and usually cheesy additions. They could've used the time to fit in parts from the books that are important!

"Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didnít you?"

Last edited by amafaiope; February 18th, 2007 at 2:32 pm.
Old February 18th, 2007, 2:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by amafaiope View Post
7. Gambon doesn't suit Dumbledore. His acting and overall look kill me.
I can't see Gambon doing the more calm, Harry & Dumbledore scenes, Dumbledore always seems tranquil, and suchforth, but Gambon isn't he's more sinister, and the "Please sit down Harry, I'm going to tell you everything" scene, seems to me like it's going to be ruined because of Gambon.

"It's Not Death I'm Scared Of, It's Living That's Cursed"

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies