Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 2: The Dark Knight



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1081  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:11 am
Caliope's Avatar
Caliope  Female.gif Caliope is offline
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)
 
Joined: 5256 days
Location: Free country, USA
Posts: 816
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

JLTucker: I wasn't trying to imply that everyone else involved in the movie didn't deserve any recognition - it was great overall, they all did their jobs fantastically well. But Heath Ledger was the most outstanding performance on the whole - he outshone everyone else by a pretty hefty margin.


__________________


Committed to Sparkle Motion
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #1082  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:13 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 5501 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

The problem with the soundtrack was that there were too many people involved wasn't it? I remember hearing about it a while back.


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:13 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4130 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
JLTucker: I wasn't trying to imply that everyone else involved in the movie didn't deserve any recognition - it was great overall, they all did their jobs fantastically well. But Heath Ledger was the most outstanding performance on the whole - he outshone everyone else by a pretty hefty margin.
I agree that Ledger's performance outshone everyone else. I just took objection to you implying that that should be the only thing recognized. At least that's how I interpreted your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
The problem with the soundtrack was that there were too many people involved wasn't it? I remember hearing about it a while back.
Yes. And I honestly think that it's a retarded reason. By that reason, the Academy should have disqualified ROTK for the adapted screenplay award because it was written by three people.



Last edited by NumberEight; December 12th, 2008 at 6:16 am.
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:18 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 5501 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
JLTucker
Yes. And I honestly think that it's a retarded reason. By that reason, the Academy should have disqualified ROTK for the adapted screenplay award because it was written by three people.
The academy has got it wrong before Many who deserve to win haven't and vice versa. What can you do

Quote:
JLTucker
Yes. And I honestly think that it's a retarded reason. By that reason, the Academy should have disqualified ROTK for the adapted screenplay award because it was written by three people.
The academy has got it wrong before Many who deserve to win haven't and vice versa. What can you do


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:19 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4130 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
The academy has got it wrong before Many who deserve to win haven't and vice versa. What can you do
Yeah. That's what I don't like about film awards. It's all subjective.


Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old December 12th, 2008, 6:25 am
freelantzer's Avatar
freelantzer  Female.gif freelantzer is offline
Hiding under Johnny's bed...
 
Joined: 5034 days
Location: ...waiting to pounce!
Posts: 3,587
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Oh, I had not heard that they had reversed their decision to disqualify the score. That's great news! At least now it can be considered.


__________________
BREAKING BAD
Unstable. Volatile. Dangerous. And That's Just The Chemistry.


Avatar from mcakeface
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old December 12th, 2008, 9:06 pm
PureBloodGirl  Female.gif PureBloodGirl is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4282 days
Location: Imprisoned by Tibsy, HELP ME!
Age: 24
Posts: 1,906
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Oh, I had not heard that they had reversed their decision to disqualify the score. That's great news! At least now it can be considered.
Hurray! That's awesome!


Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old December 12th, 2008, 9:23 pm
cardinalguy's Avatar
cardinalguy  Male.gif cardinalguy is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4516 days
Location: Cardinal Nation
Age: 36
Posts: 829
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Oh, I had not heard that they had reversed their decision to disqualify the score. That's great news! At least now it can be considered.
Watch it still not get nominated.


__________________
Official CoS sponsor of the 2015 NL Central Champion St. Louis Cardinals

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:40 pm
DML1991's Avatar
DML1991  Male.gif DML1991 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4106 days
Age: 28
Posts: 1,322
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

I just rewatched the film, Christ, as if I didn't love it enough already, my latest viewing makes me appreciate it's excellence even more. Plus watching it in blu-ray is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
2. Merely seconds after Gordon's son is almost killed he (the son) is fine again. He doesn't seem distraught, upset, scared or anything... just back to normal.
I wouldn't say he seemed normal again. I think he was more worried about the man who just saved his life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
After I saw the movie the second time I really thought hard about it and realised there was pretty much no chance for TDK to be nominated for best film. It's good but I think it lacks the substance and outstanding cast performances (they were good but The Joker was the only outstanding one IMO) to be nominated for the top prize.
I disagree strongly. Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart both were absolutely fantastic, especially Eckhart. Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were also quite great as well, but not as excellent as Oldman and Eckhart.


Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:22 am
underscore  Undisclosed.gif underscore is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4872 days
Age: 34
Posts: 397
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

I thought Eckhart, Bale, and Gylenhaal were beyond awful. No surprise there - I think they're terrible actors after all. Freeman, Caine, Oldman, and Ledger were amazing on the other hand. The screenplay concerns itself more often with plot twists, gadgets, and building a plot that's three times more layered than it need be for the sole purpose of trying to prove itself as profound, which is not necessary, given that the tonality and thematic subject matter of the film are more than enough to elevate its creative merit. The soundtrack is adequate and marvelously atmospheric but by no means superior or even equal to its 1989 and 1992 predecessors. The special visual effects were awful, granted this film was not designed to rely on cgi effects so the fact that they're awful is not of any importance within the greater scheme of the cinematic narration of the story. The editing is just barking terrible no matter how you look at it. It's still a good movie and I personally do see the Oscars nominating it for Best Picture.

However, I think most people make too many immature assumptions about the Academy without really knowing or understanding the process or how and why some films get more votes in favor of others. Are annual politics sometimes a part of it? Yeah. But on the whole it's just industry professionals who are voting in the categories that apply to their own field of craftsmanship.



Last edited by underscore; December 13th, 2008 at 12:39 am.
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old December 13th, 2008, 3:50 pm
Caliope's Avatar
Caliope  Female.gif Caliope is offline
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)
 
Joined: 5256 days
Location: Free country, USA
Posts: 816
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
However, I think most people make too many immature assumptions about the Academy without really knowing or understanding the process or how and why some films get more votes in favor of others. Are annual politics sometimes a part of it? Yeah. But on the whole it's just industry professionals who are voting in the categories that apply to their own field of craftsmanship.
I disagree with most of what you said in the rest of the post, but I think this last part is important to think about. I'm more than often stumped over why some films get nominated, or win over others, come Oscar time.


__________________


Committed to Sparkle Motion
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old December 13th, 2008, 5:28 pm
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4130 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Underscore, can you give us some examples of the bad editing?


Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old December 14th, 2008, 2:59 am
underscore  Undisclosed.gif underscore is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4872 days
Age: 34
Posts: 397
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Underscore, can you give us some examples of the bad editing?
That's a bit difficult because I don't remember most of it. I've only seen the movie once at the theatre. Bad edits and scene transitions that come to mind are the cut from one scene to the mobster in the night club and then the cut to next scene that came after that. The tightness of the entire Hong Kong trip sequence was all but a bit too annoying to the point where one wonders if we absolutely fully needed to see Freeman have a brief meeting with the businessmen just to plant that device and then explain it to Bruce--especially since the entire concept of the satellite observation gadget/computer thing was highly unnecessary--the film's climax could still have been as action-packed as it was without it--as well as the fact that the idea of how it worked was too far fetched considering Nolan's realistic gritty take on Batman's world. Some of the back and forth cutting during the hospital scenes and hospital blowup sequence were clunky. The montage sequence after the opening was a bit too tight.

Sorry, maybe if I rent it on dvd to watch it again I can jot down all the examples. But I just remember a bunch of spots where it just seemed amateur. And overall, the style was bit too montage-like due to the extra scenes that offered unnecessary exposition and minor sub-plots that could have been excised (though I personally really liked the sub plot of the man who discovered Batman's identity despite popular opinion).



Last edited by underscore; December 14th, 2008 at 3:02 am.
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old December 14th, 2008, 4:41 am
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 5252 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 29
Posts: 3,271
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's a bit difficult because I don't remember most of it. I've only seen the movie once at the theatre. Bad edits and scene transitions that come to mind are the cut from one scene to the mobster in the night club and then the cut to next scene that came after that. The tightness of the entire Hong Kong trip sequence was all but a bit too annoying to the point where one wonders if we absolutely fully needed to see Freeman have a brief meeting with the businessmen just to plant that device and then explain it to Bruce--especially since the entire concept of the satellite observation gadget/computer thing was highly unnecessary--the film's climax could still have been as action-packed as it was without it--as well as the fact that the idea of how it worked was too far fetched considering Nolan's realistic gritty take on Batman's world. Some of the back and forth cutting during the hospital scenes and hospital blowup sequence were clunky. The montage sequence after the opening was a bit too tight.
Gotta say, I totally disagree with pretty much all of this!

Though originally I also didn't understand the purpose or cause of the sonar usage, it came to me later on that it was to prove that Batman was never about being everywhere at once; even though he could, he elected to do the right thing, and put his faith in the hands of the one man who he knew could help him out. It proved, above all else, that he's more intelligent than the Joker is, and that he has morals and principles Joker could never see or comprehend. That's why I liked it- and aside from that, it was a fine piece of technology to work out also; I certainly never would have thought of it.

And as for the editing- in those areas I genuinely liked the editing, which is weird! ! I loved the pacey shot changes, and I adored the chunky editing for the blowup scene at the finish, I thought it was a good way of bringing across the messy feeling of the entire thing. It was a disaster, the slow movement implied the danger and helped me to see more of what was going on, so I liked it well enough.

Could just be me though!


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old December 14th, 2008, 5:50 am
Caliope's Avatar
Caliope  Female.gif Caliope is offline
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)
 
Joined: 5256 days
Location: Free country, USA
Posts: 816
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

^Well, this is all a perfect example of JLTucker was saying about the awards being 'subjective.' What worked for one person might not work for another, and vice versa. I thought the Hong Kong sequence was flashy and interesting, but unnecessary. I prefer to stay planted firmly in Gotham when I'm in this universe. But really, that was my only complaint about the whole thing.


__________________


Committed to Sparkle Motion
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old December 14th, 2008, 5:53 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4130 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
I thought the Hong Kong sequence was flashy and interesting, but unnecessary.
How was it unnecessary? Lao needed to be brought back to Gotham and if he had just showed up apprehended, the audience would wonder how that happened.


Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old December 14th, 2008, 6:07 am
Caliope's Avatar
Caliope  Female.gif Caliope is offline
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)
 
Joined: 5256 days
Location: Free country, USA
Posts: 816
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

*sigh* Can't you just accept my opinion without asking me to back it up every time? I appreciate your enthusiasm, but frankly I'm a little exhausted. The point I'm trying to make is no movie, no matter how universally appealing, can be nitpicked and disagreed on.


__________________


Committed to Sparkle Motion
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old December 14th, 2008, 6:12 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4130 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Sorry. I have a debating personality (I've been a member of a debating forum for almost three years). I am just curious as to how you think that scene is unnecessary.


Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old December 14th, 2008, 9:35 am
freelantzer's Avatar
freelantzer  Female.gif freelantzer is offline
Hiding under Johnny's bed...
 
Joined: 5034 days
Location: ...waiting to pounce!
Posts: 3,587
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

^A lot of people agree with Caliope that the Hong Kong sequence was unnecessary. I personally don't have any problems with it--It's not my favorite part, but it doesn't bother me, either. I just kind of roll with it and the whole ride of the movie. But a lot of people thought it was not needed and just added unnecessarily to the length of the film for a small subplot that could have been explained in a more succinct way.


__________________
BREAKING BAD
Unstable. Volatile. Dangerous. And That's Just The Chemistry.


Avatar from mcakeface
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old December 14th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 5501 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
DML1991
I disagree strongly. Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart both were absolutely fantastic, especially Eckhart. Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were also quite great as well, but not as excellent as Oldman and Eckhart.
I'm not saying they were bad but not on the same level as Ledger's acting IMO. Eckhart I agree was very very good as was Oldman. Bale is a good Batman but pretty boring IMO. That voice is just.... I cant think of the word. Terrible? And yes I know he has to disguise his voice as Batman but it could be a little less cheesy couldn't it?

Quote:
DML1991
I wouldn't say he seemed normal again. I think he was more worried about the man who just saved his life...
Can you provide an example of how he looked worried?
Besides what I was getting at is in real life if a 10 year old boy had almost fallen to his death at the hands of a lunatic you think he might be a little shaken up by it. Just maybe.

Quote:
JLTucker
How was it unnecessary? Lao needed to be brought back to Gotham and if he had just showed up apprehended, the audience would wonder how that happened.
I think the point is that that whole theme was unnecessary. Lao wasn't needed at all. If they'd cut him completely and included a different mob link it would have made the film half an hour shorter (perfect IMO) and the pacing better.


__________________
liebe ist für alle da

Last edited by Hysteria; December 14th, 2008 at 1:47 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:18 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.