Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

What's your favourite Disney movie?

Old September 24th, 2012, 7:28 am
Banned

Re: What's your favourite Disney movie?

The Lion King!

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2012, 6:04 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Favorite Disney Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLongbottom View Post
My family is so into Disney movies, it's kind of crazy.
But I absolutely love:
-Beauty and the Beast
-Fantasia 2000
-Mulan
-Pochahontas
-Aladdin
-The Little Mermaid
-Cinderella
-Remember the Titans
-Finding Nemo
-Hercules
-Tarzan
-Cars
-Enchanted
-Mary Poppins
-Meet the Robinsons
-Ratatouille
-The old Whinnie the Pooh Movies
-Oliver & Company

There are probably many more, but I can't think of any more.
-
I thought this list deserved a response.

Beauty and the Beast is still my favorite Disney film (by a lot) but of the new crop (post Lion King) I'd have to say that my favorites are Tangled and The Incredibles. Tangled doesn't end up with much of a villain, but everything else is beautiful and enjoyable. Really likeable characters, nice chemistry, good story, fun resolution, good music.

I like Mulan. I don't love it. I like her talent and her spunk and some of the humor, but..eh, considering the productions around it (Hunchback of Notre Dame--misfire; Pocahontas--yikes, Tarzan--good music, interesting visuals, pass on everything else) it's quite good.

The Little Mermaid and Alladin were the other two thirds of the best run of Disney animated features in my lifetime.

Hercules is an acquired taste. When I went, I was hugely disappointed. I respect what they were trying to do, but the art isn't my speed. I had a hard time accepting the story. James Woods voices an excellent Hades, and I really like Maig.

I like Ratatouille, but I don't love it. It took me a very long time to warm up to Finding Nemo, but I enjoy the humor.

I think Meet the Robinsons is underappreciated. I really do like Remember the Titans, but some of the luster comes off when you realize how freely adapted that was. Oh, well.

I should say a few words about Brave. I was really excited for this when I saw the previews. The art looked stunning. The music sounded great, I could tell they reached for a great voice cast. But, no villain? No real resolution? Honestly, just a waste of a couple great characters. And the prequel/sequel factory does not appear to bode well. Planes?? Monster University? Really? Ugh.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:03 am
First Year

I'll go with The Lion King.
It was the first movie I've ever seen in cinema and I remember how impressed I was with everything. Today, I have it on DVD and sometimes watch it, mostly when I don't feel well

But very close to TLK comes the Jungle Book. - I always wanted to be in Mogli's place when I was younger and live with all those animals :>

Old January 5th, 2013, 8:29 pm
Second Year

Bambi. For two reasons: I remember when I saw him at school (elementary school) many, many, many, many years ago ... I don't remember why it was shown, but I remember how much I liked it.
I saw him last December, when it was broadcasted, this time for my nephew, and I was moved so much at the scene of the death of Bambi's mother. I didnít think would happen. I cried so much!
Spoiler: show
Mamma mia quanto ho pianto!
After so many years... and now I'm not a child.
And then... a little it reminded me Harry Potter!

Old January 6th, 2013, 12:20 am
Second Year

Dumbo, Aristocats, 101 Dalmations, Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Emperor's New Groove...

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old January 6th, 2013, 1:04 am
Third Year

My favorite movies when I was little was Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Little Mermaid. Now I also really like Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast. I really want to see Tangled and The Princess and the Frog.

Old January 7th, 2013, 4:32 am
First Year

The Lion King and Bambi for me, minus the films made by Pixar.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old January 7th, 2013, 7:38 pm
First Year

Hands down, the Lion King!

Old January 8th, 2013, 2:27 am
Third Year

Cinderella. But More recently Mulan.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:03 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Re: Fav. Disney Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
My all time favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast, with Mulan and the Little Mermaid coming in next. Cinderella is probably number 4, and 5 is a toss-up between several (The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, and The Great Mouse Detective). This, of course, is only looking at the animated works. Some of my favorite live-action or mixed movies by Disney are Mary Poppins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, That Darn Cat, The Parent Trap (I actually like both versions pretty equally), The Journey of Natty Gann, The Princess Diaries, Swiss Family Robinson, and of course, PIrates of the Carribean. All of the Pixar-Disney collaborations have been phenomenal, and it's hard to pick a favorite from them, but if I had to choose a favorite, The Incredibles probably takes first prize by a hair. Trying to rank the others would be impossible, as I'd vacillate moment to moment between Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, the Toy Story duology, and Ratatouille for second place
Adding Frozen and Tangled to the list of my favorite Disney animated movies (although Beauty and the Beast remains #1). Also adding Up, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and Brave to the Pixar list, and the 2 Disney Narnia movies, Enchanted, Secretariat, Miracle and The Avengers to the live action list.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old April 3rd, 2014, 1:13 am
Registered Animagus

Frozen is now my favorite of all time. Used to be Mulan.

Old July 28th, 2014, 10:49 am
First Year

There are so many, but I would have to say Up. Because it reminded me of my Grandma and I because we've been together most of our lives and it reminds me of all the good times weave had together and how precious life is.

"...A boy who was kind, honest, brave and true.
Right to the very end. Remember Cedric Diggory."
Old July 28th, 2014, 7:33 pm
Curse Breaker

It's been awhile since I dropped in here. First of all--Losing Jon Cryer made Planes. It was...what were the words..."paper-thin" but it was enjoyable with good visuals and an interesting voice cast. I'd say it outstripped either Cars film by a wide margin. It was a surprise hit which led to the making of its own sequel. Yikes! Still had good visuals and some interesting vocal casting (they threw money at Regina King and Ed Harris), but the story was worse, and there was even less connection to the characters.

I Love Frozen--something I didn't think I'd say before I saw the "Let It Go" sequence (at which point I thought--wait, the best moment in this movie is given to the villain??). I loved the cast (particularly Bell and Menzel). I even liked the save they made, making Hans into a Gaston-lite (though I have to ask how a twit like that could have such an amiable and mischievous steed). It unexpectedly buried Disney under a pile of money, but nothing in their animated pipeline looks very promising (although, to be fair, Frozen was a complete surprise itself, and the first teaser for The Incredibles looked problematic). Speaking of--they're actually talking Brad Bird into writing an Incredibles sequel, which could be either eight years late or right on time. If they made Jak-Jak into a teenager with sort of an origin story, it might work but with Tad aging out, they could be buying themselves a LOT of trouble trying to set this in the immediate aftermath of Syndrome.

Old October 17th, 2015, 9:09 pm
First Year

Lady and the Tramp
Ratatouille
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast

Those are my top four favorites that just drew me into the movie itself.

#1 Rocky and Bullwinkle fan!!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 7:46 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
My all time favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast, with Mulan and the Little Mermaid coming in next. Cinderella is probably number 4, and 5 is a toss-up between several (The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, and The Great Mouse Detective). This, of course, is only looking at the animated works. Some of my favorite live-action or mixed movies by Disney are Mary Poppins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, That Darn Cat, The Parent Trap (I actually like both versions pretty equally), The Journey of Natty Gann, The Princess Diaries, Swiss Family Robinson, and of course, Pirates of the Carribean. All of the Pixar-Disney collaborations have been phenomenal, and it's hard to pick a favorite from them, but if I had to choose a favorite, The Incredibles probably takes first prize by a hair. Trying to rank the others would be impossible, as I'd vacillate moment to moment between Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, the Toy Story duology, and Ratatouille for second place.
Quote:
Adding Frozen and Tangled to the list of my favorite Disney animated movies (although Beauty and the Beast remains #1). Also adding Up, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, and Brave to the Pixar list, and the 2 Disney Narnia movies, Enchanted, Secretariat, Miracle and The Avengers to the live action list.
Disney's been on a roll lately, so I have to add Zootopia, Moana, and Big Hero 6 to the list, as well as Inside Out for Pixar. The live action list now includes Star Wars: the Force Awakens, Captain America: Civil War and Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, and Saving Mr. Banks

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old September 30th, 2017, 3:50 pm
First Year

I've seen Bambi first at the movie theater. My list of movies I did not like would be shorter. Non fav's like The Great Mouse Detective, Candleshoe, Escape and Return to Witch Mountain and Oliver and Company I did enjoy. All time would have to be The Incredibles! Sooooo, waiting for Incredibles 2 to be released!!!

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours...

RAVENCLAW

Last edited by SlyRagrihuf; September 30th, 2017 at 3:53 pm.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 3:49 pm
Curse Breaker

I should drop in again to give props to Moana. The live action spate has been hit-or-miss.

The Jungle Book was unexpectedly impressive. I liked The live-action Beauty and The Beast (even if the alterations made the use of the same songs problematic). I like Cinderella live-action (and the chemistry between James and Maddon is great). However,

1. They cast Cate Blanchette in a role she seems too young for to get her star and performance power for Lady Tremaine and then didn't give her anything.

2. They so stripped her of malice and presence that they had to add in the Duke as a complementary villain and even that didn't work.

I guess I was hoping for Disneyfied Ever After. Which is to say--strong stepmother, lots of interaction between Ella and the prince with a building attraction and relationship, plus a lavish ball sequence. We got promising bits, but not enough of the right stuff.

Maleficent was carried by Angelina Jolie and if she weren't there holding it together with both hands, the entire thing would collapse. There doesn't need to be a sequel.

Old May 7th, 2018, 4:20 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
My all time favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast, with Mulan and the Little Mermaid coming in next. Cinderella is probably number 4, and 5 is a toss-up between several (The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, and The Great Mouse Detective). This, of course, is only looking at the animated works. Some of my favorite live-action or mixed movies by Disney are Mary Poppins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, That Darn Cat, The Parent Trap (I actually like both versions pretty equally), The Journey of Natty Gann, The Princess Diaries, Swiss Family Robinson, and of course, Pirates of the Carribean. All of the Pixar-Disney collaborations have been phenomenal, and it's hard to pick a favorite from them, but if I had to choose a favorite, The Incredibles probably takes first prize by a hair. Trying to rank the others would be impossible, as I'd vacillate moment to moment between Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, the Toy Story duology, and Ratatouille for second place.
Quote:
Quote:
Disney's been on a roll lately, so I have to add Zootopia, Moana, and Big Hero 6 to the list, as well as Inside Out for Pixar. The live action list now includes Star Wars: the Force Awakens, Captain America: Civil War and Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, and Saving Mr. Banks
And the list goes on: live action additions are Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Avengers: Infinity Wars. Coco is in competition for my all-time favorite Pixar film.

Old June 30th, 2018, 7:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Incredibles 2 should be on the list somewhere. Coco was better than I expected.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion