Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:59 am
Sixth Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

I always must explain that the Shrieking Shack scene is much better and has much more information in the book. People always hear me saying that part is wonderful, and then are a bit dissapointed of they only see the movie.

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 5:55 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Seeker View Post
Ok, now, I'm sure everyone has atleast one family member or friend who has never read the books but go with you to see the movies and are atleast casual fans of the films.

Now, I'm asking what were they confused about in the movie and you had to explain to them?

This could be a thread where people who plan to go see the next HP movies with a muggle , prepare what they will need to tell them to truly understand the story or alteast ceertain characters and details.

Because lets face it, the last two HP movies have done a really terrible job at explaining things.

So what is your story?
Whoops. Misunderstood. I've never actually seen the movies with folks who haven't read the books.

But when I go with my dad, who has read them, I find myself having to tell him to chill out and watch the film- he's not a patient person.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; March 23rd, 2007 at 5:59 pm. Reason: whoopsie!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 6:21 pm
First Year

I had to explain the Marauder's map further and how come Sirius and Lupin knew how to work it.
After my friend saw the second film she said how cute Harry and Hermione are together.
I've had to explain that no, Hagrid and Madam Maxime are no longer a couple... which led to an explanation of half-giants and giants...
I don't even bother mentioning S.P.E.W. or Winky or anything like that... I feel so bad that the viewer is missing out on a great story.

Old March 24th, 2007, 2:10 am
First Year

My mother is a hopeless case. it took her about three years to be able to tell Sirius from Severus, so watching the movies with her is horrible! I had to explain every aspect of the time-turner, the maurader's map, and the firebolt in POA & GOF was even worse! I had to tell her five times what a Portkey was & she didnt understand the triwizard tournament at all, to say nothing of the ending!

Old March 24th, 2007, 4:04 pm
First Year

One word EV-ER-Y-THING!!!!! Unless it's SS or CoS, those were pretty close.

Not Shipper's ships: ANY SLASH!

Join the movement to kick Peter out of the Marauder's.
Make Sirius, James, Lupin, Fred and George the real Marauders. Copy this to your sig to join the movement.
Old March 24th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

When my family sees the mvoeis, they think they know everything that happened. But i have to argue with them that they got it wrong. Then I have to explain to them what really happened and it takes them forever to get it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 25th, 2007, 2:16 am
First Year

I only recently read the books (got them for Christmas... finally!!) and I realize that I actually figured out a lot on my own. I did go see the first two movies with my little sister, who's been a huge fan since the first book. I asked her a few questions when she brought differences up, but otherwise I got on okay.

I figured out who the Mauraders were after the second or third time watching the movie, but I realized how different the movies were when I read PoA. I have to say, that's still my favorite movie. Anyway, my husband has asked me a few questions about the GoF movie, but he get's the general idea, and says he's excited about the OotP movie. I bet this time he asks me lots of questions, since I'm so excited about this movie (being my first to see after reading). I'm hoping this one will finally get him to read the books!

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:32 am
Second Year

My friend couldn't understand the whole relationship between barty crouch and his son and why barty crouch jr wanted to kill harry so badly. The movie didn't explain that part really well. >.<

Old March 25th, 2007, 2:41 am
Third Year

Usually during the movie i have to eplain it, then i miss parts, and in POA, if you didn't read it than the whole going-back-in-time thing needs some explaining, unless you get it, then hats off to you.

Old March 25th, 2007, 5:14 am
Second Year

everything even when we're watching it in the theatres.it's quite annoying actually.

Harry Lives!
Old March 30th, 2007, 7:21 am
First Year

I've only watched POA with people who haven't read the books, and I had to explain the map and why it was important and how Lupin knew so much about it, etc. And the time travel. . . yeah

Old March 30th, 2007, 8:24 am
Third Year

I just try to briefly explain how sitting down and reading the books are much more exciting, etc. Usually I throw in some veiled insults (usually because my friends or family are too lazy to sit down and read something, anything) for good measure, but only jokingly and lovingly.

But I refuse to go see the movies with someone who has not read the books. Number one, it's usually a big party for my friends and I to go see the movies at midnight and two, because I would be sorely tempted to explain everything in detail.

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old March 30th, 2007, 6:32 pm
First Year

I watched all 4 movies before opening a book. After I would read a book, I would watch the movie to compare. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has relied on me to explain everything that gets confusing in the movies. And I mean everything. I would have to fill him in on parts that were left out, and so on. After watching the 4th movie and getting all the details from me, he decided it was time he started reading the books! He's not really into reading, but he's working his way along.

Old March 30th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I always must explain that the Shrieking Shack scene is much better and has much more information in the book. People always hear me saying that part is wonderful, and then are a bit dissapointed of they only see the movie.
Actually, the version in the book is what is known as a first-order idiot plot sensu Damon Knight. That is, the plot requires that an otherwise intelligent person do something really stupid: in this case, Lupin prattles on and on about his childhood as a werewolf, which causes him to overlook the completely unrelated matter that he is about to become a werewolf. It also requires Hermione and Black to conveniently forget that it is the full moon outside. So, a much faster paced scene was necessary: if Lupin is about to become a werewolf, then they should be in a rush.

Even if it had not been for that, it still needed to be reduced. Nothing in Lupin's monologue is relevant to the plot or the story. It is nice backstory, but how the map came to be simply is not important to the plot (that Lupin knows it is a map is the only important point) and the why of it is ancient history. It is much like the Council of Elrond scene in Lord of the Rings. There is a lot of talking there, and you get a lot of the history of Middle earth. Yes, it is cool for Tolkien fans: but is also is a point where a lot of people quit reading the book! In the end, there is very little truly useful information. As much as Tolkien fans howled at its reduction, the movie was much better for streamlining it and cutting to the important points. The same is true for the Shrieking Shack: so much talking with no outcome would have killed the pace and left audiences asking: why include all of that if it was not directly important to the plot or story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
Whoops. Misunderstood. I've never actually seen the movies with folks who haven't read the books.
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who see the movies do not even start the books. Indeed, we know now that most of the adults who start the book (at least in Great Britain) do not even finish the books! (A recent survey found that nearly one third of the adults in Britain had started Goblet but failed to finish it, and there is no way that 2/3rds of the adults in Britain even start to read the book!)

At most, book readers are about ~25% of the audience. They are a bit over half of the opening audience, and a small proportion after that. (The fans rush out to see the film, as do fans of general action/adventure; other people see it later.) Real fans of the book (like us) are, at most, 10-15% of the audience, given the difference in how Harry Potter fans and general audiences rated the last two movies. (I had a post here ages ago that used population statistics to demonstrate this.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corunner81 View Post
I've only watched POA with people who haven't read the books, and I had to explain the map and why it was important and how Lupin knew so much about it, etc. And the time travel. . . yeah
How did you explain the time travel? The book provides no more explanation than does the movie.

Also, why did you need to explain the map? How did you explain how Fred & George knew how to work the map? Did people ask this, or did you ask them afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahdk08 View Post
And I mean everything. I would have to fill him in on parts that were left out, and so on. After watching the 4th movie and getting all the details from me, he decided it was time he started reading the books! He's not really into reading, but he's working his way along.
Again, did he really not understand what was happening? General audiences had no trouble following the last two movies, except for three details:
  1. How did Harry survive to travel back in time when this depended on his already having survived? (This is NOT explained in the book, either.)
  2. What was Polyjuice Potion? (Audiences did not remember it from Chamber, and the movie followed the book in not presenting a scene that showed it.)
  3. What was the "egg" from the second task that let Harry perform the third task? (There was no such thing in the book, but people assumed that it had been cut.)

How Lupin knew about the map was no more a general question from the audiences than how Fred & George knew about it: once it was established that Lupin knew about it, the audiences followed along.

The vast majority of the details cut from both movies actually were not relevant to the main plots (being side plots themselves) or the stories. So, I really think that most of the "questions" from non-readers were raised only after readers prompted them. Remember, Lord of the Rings fans made the same claims: i.e., that non-readers could not possibly understand the movies. However, people do not like movies that they do not understand: which means that with 95% positive marks, people understood the Lord of the Rings movies. The last two Harry Potter movies also got very high marks from audiences (although not quite LotR levels: but those movies were real outliers!), which means that audiences understood them well enough. There were no plot holes and nothing that did not follow: again, establishing that Lupin knowing that the map works is what the plot requires: how he knows is no more important than how Fred & George know.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; March 30th, 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old March 30th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who see the movies do not even start the books. Indeed, we know now that most of the adults who start the book (at least in Great Britain) do not even finish the books! (A recent survey found that nearly one third of the adults in Britain had started Goblet but failed to finish it, and there is no way that 2/3rds of the adults in Britain even start to read the book!)

At most, book readers are about ~25% of the audience. They are a bit over half of the opening audience, and a small proportion after that. (The fans rush out to see the film, as do fans of general action/adventure; other people see it later.) Real fans of the book (like us) are, at most, 10-15% of the audience, given the difference in how Harry Potter fans and general audiences rated the last two movies. (I had a post here ages ago that used population statistics to demonstrate this.)
Wimsey, you show-off, you crack me up!

What I meant was that I misunderstood the point of the thread because the folks I go to the movies with personally all read the books. As for the rest of the audience, well, they're not my problem.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old April 1st, 2007, 5:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Not everybody cares,but some who ask,i would have to say a lot ,cause they dont know or remeber much after a whole year in between the movies.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 4:30 am
Second Year

I watch the movies with my parents, and sometimes my cousin. My dad usually just reads the books once, so he understands everything pretty well, I just have to remind him about a few things. My mom and cousin watched GoF and said they understood it, but I'm afraid they didn't. They could have gotten so much more out of that movie...

Proud winner of the Borders' Harry Potter Midnight Release Spelling Bee.
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1- Acceptable
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2- Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3- Acceptable
^^And happy with that^^
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:14 pm
Second Year

I actually had a person who was sitting in front of a friend and I, who both read the books and talking abuot the movie and what we expected for the upcomming books, and all this stuff. So the person sitting in front of us, with two younger children, maybe 7-9. He turns around and asks "What is going to happen in this movie?? Who's the guy with the white face?? And was the guy in the lat movie that harry helped escape, was he good or bad??" Me and my friend started laughing but we explained it to him. He had seen them with his kids, but never really followed them too much. I couldn't be annoyed, he was so nice. =]

"Here you leave today, and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy" -sign outside of disney <3

Sirius' woman through and through.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:31 pm
Third Year

Probably how annoyed I am about what they did wrong. I usually ruin the movie for them by pointing those things out =)

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:20 am
Second Year

Chamber of Secrets was on the other day and my Dad was watching and I had to constantly tell him who everyone was and what they were talking about.
Dad: "So whose that with the blonde hair?"
Me: "Thats Malfoy"
Dad: "Malfoy? I thought the long haired guy was Malfoy, the one in the book shop?"
Me: "Noo! Thats Draco's dad!"
Dad: "Draco? Whose he?"
Me: "Draco is Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy is Draco's dad"
Dad: "I'm confused.."

Dear me!

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies