Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Old August 5th, 2009, 7:01 pm
Fourth Year

Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Well, I'm going to say something different. Although I also didn't like the way Bonnie acted, especially in the Room of Requirement it wasn't the hardest scene.

I found Emma Watson's acting in just one scene not good enough. All the others she is fine. But the scene where she is jealous and hurt because Ron kissed Lavender came out as fake to me. That's the scene in the movie where she sets the birds on Ron. Emma portrays Hermione as crying, yet if you look at her there are no tears and the anguish on her face looks very, very fake. The scene in and of itself is certainly not cringe-worthy but the credibility is. I think Emma could of have done a better job. It just revealed to me the truth that Emma is not one of the greatest actresses.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2009, 7:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB85 View Post
Well, I'm going to say something different. Although I also didn't like the way Bonnie acted, especially in the Room of Requirement it wasn't the hardest scene.

I found Emma Watson's acting in just one scene not good enough. All the others she is fine. But the scene where she is jealous and hurt because Ron kissed Lavender came out as fake to me. That's the scene in the movie where she sets the birds on Ron. Emma portrays Hermione as crying, yet if you look at her there are no tears and the anguish on her face looks very, very fake. The scene in and of itself is certainly not cringe-worthy but the credibility is. I think Emma could of have done a better job. It just revealed to me the truth that Emma is not one of the greatest actresses.
I'm partly with you on that one. I too did not like her acting in this scene and it was just awkward (although the shot of her sending those birds at Ron was powerful imo). But all the scenes with Harry and Ginny were way, way harder to watch I think, because of the complete lack of depth and chemistry between the two of them. And of course the one with Dumbledore drinking the potion. It was painful to witness him being totally broken down like that.

Old August 5th, 2009, 7:33 pm
Third Year

Possibly the beginning, including the snippet from OotP. It seemed like a terrible indie movie until they arrived at Slughorn's 'house'.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.

Last edited by Clockworthy; August 5th, 2009 at 7:34 pm. Reason: Incorrect grammar
Old August 5th, 2009, 9:11 pm
First Year

dumbledor drinking that potion in the cave....

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:25 pm
First Year

For me, it was the fire at the Weasleys' home. It doesn't happen in the books and it really irritated me. For starters, in the next film, Bill and Fleur get married there! I don't see how that would be possible if there's no house anymore. It was just ridiculous.

Old August 6th, 2009, 4:29 am
First Year

Any of the Lavender scenes but especially the one on the train.

Old October 6th, 2010, 12:24 am
First Year

the scene when dumbledore dies is the hardest for me to watch i mean it wont be the same without him!

House: Hufflepuff, Wand: Rosewood with Phoenix Feather, Quidditch Position: Chaser, Animagus: Dog, Patronus: Horse
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:26 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan_black View Post
the scene when dumbledore dies is the hardest for me to watch i mean it wont be the same without him!
Me too . It's a really heartwrenching scene. Very well acted by everyone though.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old October 6th, 2010, 3:03 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfoyTavington View Post
For me, it was the fire at the Weasleys' home. It doesn't happen in the books and it really irritated me. For starters, in the next film, Bill and Fleur get married there! I don't see how that would be possible if there's no house anymore. It was just ridiculous.
I agree. Every time I watch the movie, I get closer to hitting "next scene" and skipping this altogether. Word is, the Weasleys manage to rebuild the Burrow in time for the next movie, which means that not only did the DE`s prove that they could easily get into the Burrow, which makes no sense in terms of Harry finding refuge there, not only do they also illogically avoid bringing Voldy along to cross "kill Potter" off his to-do list, not only do Lupin and Tonks not consider flying over the grass rather than running blindly through it, but now we learn that they managed to avoid causing any permanent damage at all. So, how exactly did this scene add to the movie? Makes me tear my hair out.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old October 6th, 2010, 3:13 am
Secret Keeper

I'm gonna have to go with the same as the OP...the scene of Dumbledore drinking the potion was quite unsettling, at least the first time.

Before going into the film I would have expected it to be Dumbledore's death but they screwed that up a bit with the editing and such.
I thought it would produce tears but didn't. One unexpected moment where I did cry though is the scene with Harry comforting Hermione.

EDIT:

Oh, and like a few people above me I guess I could say the Burrow attack also...if only cause it's such an atrocious added scene.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 6th, 2010 at 3:20 am.
Old October 6th, 2010, 3:26 am
Second Year

Watching Dumbledore drinking the potion was definitely hard to watch, due to Michael Gambon's fanastic acting. Part of Dumbledore's death was also hard to watch as well. I knew it was coming, but watching Snape perform the spell and to know that Dumbledore was gone was hard. However, I think this scene was ruined because of the whole "Dumbledore falling" sequence. It looked silly, and if it had been done properly it would have been more emotional.

AVPS Draco: And when I found out about their evil plot, I stowed away in my father's fanny pack... so that I could stop them.

"Back to wizards and witches, and magical beasts, to goblins and ghosts and to magical feasts. It's all that I love, and it's all that I need at Hogwarts, Hogwarts!!" <3

~Of course this is happening inside your head Harry, but why on earth should it mean that it is not real?~

I've been sorted in Gryffindor!
Old October 6th, 2010, 3:38 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpseeker7 View Post
Watching Dumbledore drinking the potion was definitely hard to watch, due to Michael Gambon's fanastic acting. Part of Dumbledore's death was also hard to watch as well. I knew it was coming, but watching Snape perform the spell and to know that Dumbledore was gone was hard. However, I think this scene was ruined because of the whole "Dumbledore falling" sequence. It looked silly, and if it had been done properly it would have been more emotional.
Yeah, and Dan crying over the body didn't have much impact either if you ask me. It's the one thing Radcliffe still needs improvement on and it seems the filmmakers realize this too cause more then once now they've just shown him crying without sound or with the musical score obscuring the sound. As mentioned I think the editing (or maybe it was the camera angles actually) was a big factor as well...wasn't enough lingering shots of Dumbledore's body or Harry's reaction. Usually for a scene like that to impact me the camera needs to be up close and intimate. Or in the case of Cedric's death the wails of Cedric's father was enough. Just depends but DD's death didn't do it for me.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 6th, 2010 at 3:42 am.
Old October 6th, 2010, 4:02 am
Second Year

I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of responses in this thread - the romance scenes and the arbitrary destruction of the Burrow were beyond awful.

And I'll go with something not yet mentioned: Aragog's burial. I loathe spiders and never felt any affinity towards Aragog, but it's a very poignant moment in the series, IMO. It signifies - perhaps inadvertently - the end of a lot of different things.

The portion of the scene that's sad is pretty brief, but it hits hard.

Old October 6th, 2010, 5:14 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

For me, it was Dumbledore's death. I hated to see him killed, and, I hated to see the suffering on Severus' Snape's face when he had to do it. It was one of the best scenes in the movie, IMO.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old October 6th, 2010, 6:25 am
Second Year

Dumbledore's death: the respect the students and staff show him by raising their wands; and when Ginny tries to comfort Harry by holding him. The loyalty from both segments is quite moving.

Old October 6th, 2010, 3:01 pm
First Year

Dumbledore drinking the potion and the last scene when the Death Eaters run away and Harry chases them. Isn't that their golden opportunity to take Harry and give him as a nice little welcome back ift to Voldy? Seriously, what was the point of their coming to Hogwarts if they were just going to run right out? The battle scene was neccessary!!!!

House: Huffle Puff
Animal: black cat and/or saw whet owl
Wand: 8", Sugar Maple, unicorn hair, springy
Favourite Subject: Care of Magical Creatures or Charms
Favorite Hogsmeade shop: Honey Dukes
Patronus: giraffe
Animagus: Squirrel
Old October 6th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Fourth Year

I can't watch the scene in the Room of Requirement where Ginny hides the Prince's book. It annoyed me when I saw it in the cinema because I genuinely thought that - as it was the RoR - Harry was imagining Ginny kissing him or something. I don't think it was well done at all, and Dan's acting seemed a bit awkward.

But none of the scenes in HBP really hit me emotionally, apart from maybe when Harry is comforting Hermione after the Quidditch match. I think I was expecting too much from Dumbledore's death so I was just disappointed when I watched it.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:30 am
Second Year

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that hated the burning Burrow part. It was so unessecary. They should have removed that part and put in something that was actually canon.

And another part I hate is the way they dealt with Harry and Ginny's relationship. The whole part where she ties his shoes actually creeps me out. And what was with her feeding him? And I hope they realized that if Ginny had actually hidden the Potions book, Harry wouldn't have found the diadem. Harry hiding his book himself was a very important part of the series.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."

Proud Ravenclaw

Pottermore: CentaurCrimson47
Fremione - Because love isn't always canon.
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:38 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince659 View Post
And another part I hate is the way they dealt with Harry and Ginny's relationship. The whole part where she ties his shoes actually creeps me out. And what was with her feeding him? And I hope they realized that if Ginny had actually hidden the Potions book, Harry wouldn't have found the diadem. Harry hiding his book himself was a very important part of the series.
It really made me wonder why, having already established the Room of Requirement in the previous movie, the had to find another way to disrupt continuity by changing it. You are right about the diadem, and it leads me to believe that the whole process of finding the diadem will be radically altered in the DH movie. My money is on another Luna deux ex machina moment like on the Hogwarts express, where she says that she remembers seeing the diadem one time. Why are these people considered the best for the job?

Also about the Ginny/Harry burgeoning romance thing, I doubt I was the only one who had a sudden moment of "WHAAAAAT??!!" when Ginny, standing no more than half a foot from Harry, suddenly went down on her knee. I found the whole thing awkward and uncomfortable to watch, which, it seems, is what they were going for throughout most of the movie with G and H.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; October 7th, 2010 at 8:42 am.
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:53 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
It really made me wonder why, having already established the Room of Requirement in the previous movie, the had to find another way to disrupt continuity by changing it. You are right about the diadem, and it leads me to believe that the whole process of finding the diadem will be radically altered in the DH movie. My money is on another Luna deux ex machina moment like on the Hogwarts express, where she says that she remembers seeing the diadem one time. Why are these people considered the best for the job?
No, I hope they don't change the way he finds it! Even though now the movie Harry never saw it, so he has no way of finding it himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Also about the Ginny/Harry burgeoning romance thing, I doubt I was the only one who had a sudden moment of "WHAAAAAT??!!" when Ginny, standing no more than half a foot from Harry, suddenly went down on her knee. I found the whole thing awkward and uncomfortable to watch, which, it seems, is what they were going for throughout most of the movie with G and H.
I know exactly what you mean...it was very disturbing. I also had a "WHAT?!" moment, so you weren't the only one.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."

Proud Ravenclaw

Pottermore: CentaurCrimson47
Fremione - Because love isn't always canon.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies