Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things you didn't spot until the umpteenth time in the HP films v.2

Old April 17th, 2011, 6:21 am
Third Year

Re: Things you didn't spot until the umpteenth time in the HP films v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
Hermione says "If Voldemort really has taken over the Ministry, none of the old places are safe"
Must have missed that! Thanks!

Hufflepuff Pride
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2011, 9:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtree View Post
Good call, but how about this?

In that same dueling club scene, Snape yells, "Expelliarmus" and then proceeds to "thrust" his wand forward to actually "shoot" the spell out of his wand..This creates a very odd timing issue. Does this mean that a wizard can vocalize the incantation and then "shoot" the spell whenever afterwards? I doubt it, but just watch it, it looks weird.
Spell casting as a whole is very inconsistent in the movies, both in color and timing. As previously mentioned Snapes disarming spell in COS was white and doesnt even fire until a second after he says the incantation. AND its white. Yet every time harry uses it against Voldemort, its red. From the books description, stunning spells are actually red and they are shown that way sometimes, particularly in GoF but they arent in OotP or the HBP.

Spells form at a lot of different points during incantations as well. Most of the time they form right at the end of the incantation but other times they are really delayed such as Snape's in the dueling club scene and Bella's AK in OotP. BUT Voldemorts AK he uses against Prof. Burbage in DH P.1 fires REALLY early, like at the end of evada. I think the inconsistencies in timing are due to the CG guys having to map the spell with the actors performances. The inconsistencies in spells are very noticeable but they don't really bug me.

Old April 18th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Third Year

Not quite the 'umpteenth' time, but I only noticed the very important single curly hair from Bellatrix fall onto Hermione's clothes the second time I watched DH1. I'm looking forward to the part when they break into Gringotts!

Old April 19th, 2011, 5:15 pm
Registered Animagus

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...hxmso1_500.gif

This is from Order of the Phoenix. Look on the bottom right. It's Alex Watson, Emma's brother!

Edit: Not twins, oops!

Last edited by Fury; April 19th, 2011 at 5:45 pm.
Old April 19th, 2011, 5:18 pm
Sixth Year

Cool. I didn't actually know she was a twin.

Old April 19th, 2011, 5:24 pm
Registered Animagus

Okay, now I am getting mixed information. It's not her twin. He's a couple years younger. Thought they were twins.

Old April 19th, 2011, 5:26 pm
Sixth Year

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old April 19th, 2011, 5:36 pm
Third Year

In DH 1, it took me a few viewings to reailze Ron's line about his jeans is in there. I think he says "By the way, these jeans aren't my favorite." But he says it right before the Snatchers attack.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old April 20th, 2011, 5:29 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
one thing I noticed is when they are at Lovegood's, when they are all sitting down you can see behind Xeno a bust--I'm assuming of Ravenclaw? It's over his left shoulder.
Also when Xenophilius is drawing the symbol of the Hallows, behind the Trio you can see a swirly horn. Most likely of the Erumpet variety.

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old April 20th, 2011, 6:19 am
Curse Breaker

I just watched DH1 DVD tonight....noticed that the sounds when we see the Warner Bros. logo near the start of the film, it's the locket horcrux sounds.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 20th, 2011, 8:15 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_XY390 View Post
Also when Xenophilius is drawing the symbol of the Hallows, behind the Trio you can see a swirly horn. Most likely of the Erumpet variety.
Arr. I saw the same thing actually when Xeno and the trio are sitting awkwardly with their tea.

One thing i just noticed is Ron's wireless going about Snape being headmaster. (You must forgive me, its only my second time seeing DH1)

Also i noticed Draco and Harry having something of a staring match. Rather interesting look in Draco's face.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!

Last edited by Slartibartfast; April 20th, 2011 at 8:19 am.
Old April 20th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Sixth Year

Is anyone ever surprised by what people haven't noticed? Sometimes I haven't noticed either, but mostly I'm astonished that folks didn't notice. Bellatrix's hair is one. Usually people mention some thing they just noticed and I'm rather shocked that they never did until now. The one poster, who somewhere mentioned an electric sewing machine at the Lovegood's; that was one I haven't noticed. Most of the rest, I just guess I though everyone saw those things.

Old April 20th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Is anyone ever surprised by what people haven't noticed? Sometimes I haven't noticed either, but mostly I'm astonished that folks didn't notice. Bellatrix's hair is one. Usually people mention some thing they just noticed and I'm rather shocked that they never did until now. The one poster, who somewhere mentioned an electric sewing machine at the Lovegood's; that was one I haven't noticed. Most of the rest, I just guess I though everyone saw those things.
Yeah I think Bellatrix's hair was pretty hard to miss. I mean, I got that right away in DH 1. I think MuggleCast missed it though, which is weird.

Hmm, I never noticed a sewing machine. Some of these things are really hidden.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old April 20th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobson View Post
Yeah I think Bellatrix's hair was pretty hard to miss. I mean, I got that right away in DH 1. I think MuggleCast missed it though, which is weird.

Hmm, I never noticed a sewing machine. Some of these things are really hidden.
You're right-I recently listened to that particular Mugglecast and they were like about the hair--they didn't know why it was shown. I was like what?! I can understand a person who has never read the books not getting it, but these guys should have known!

Old April 20th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Fifth Year

ALso something i noticed when Harry/Runcorn is rummaging through Umbridge's office, he opens a drawer and you can see a book labeled "When Muggles Attack." I lol'd

Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old April 21st, 2011, 4:03 am
Sixth Year

Initially I wondered about why they were bothering with this close up, slo-mo but when I saw the hair land on Hermione I had an aha! moment. But I did see it and get it the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
ALso something i noticed when Harry/Runcorn is rummaging through Umbridge's office, he opens a drawer and you can see a book labeled "When Muggles Attack." I lol'd

See, I noticed that too. I wanted to see what was written on the individual files but couldn't see them.

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:56 pm
First Year

I watched OotP again last night and noticed when they go into the Hog's Head to meet with the students there is a goat that runs by. Oh, Aberforth!

Old April 22nd, 2011, 4:49 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRxphile View Post
I watched OotP again last night and noticed when they go into the Hog's Head to meet with the students there is a goat that runs by. Oh, Aberforth!
Yeah. It was after reading the entire series did i realize who that was.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 6:32 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtree View Post
In that same dueling club scene, Snape yells, "Expelliarmus" and then proceeds to "thrust" his wand forward to actually "shoot" the spell out of his wand..This creates a very odd timing issue. Does this mean that a wizard can vocalize the incantation and then "shoot" the spell whenever afterwards? I doubt it, but just watch it, it looks weird.
Others on this thread have answered this one, but just thought I'd add my two cents: each character in the film seems to hold and use their wand in a distinct way, so maybe that's why it seemed as though he was trying to "shoot" the spell out of his wand? Can't remember if that's how movie!Snape holds and uses his wand in the rest of the film series, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I'm a "notice the details, miss the big picture" kind of person, so what happens usually is I notice something like Bellatrix's hair falling, but miss everything else happening in the frame, heh.

As for things I didn't notice the first time, it's usually spoken lines, either because the actor or actress was practically mumbling or said the line too fast or almost under their breath, such as the "By the way, these jeans, not my favourite" line in DH Part 1.

"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask me.
" - Ron Weasley

"I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, but you
seem to have missed a few crucial lessons." - Molly Weasley

Last edited by Dead Star; April 22nd, 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 3:49 pm
Fourth Year

This is cool--we're watching DH today, and my son noticed when the trio arrive at Yaxley's floor, you can hear the rain from his office. It's really faint and I had to go back twice to hear it. Nice touch!

I also noticed something silly: the clothes that the trio are wearing in the cafe scene: they are all wearing three layers. Ron and Harry are wearing a shirt, sweater (both v-neck!) and a top layer (jacket/sweater). Hermione is wearing a shirt, a light sweater over that and then her sweater. Don't know why I picked up on that, but there you go!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies