Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Notebooks

Old August 7th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Writer's Notebooks

I have two half full notebooks for some reason, but I don't use them that much. I only really write in them if I have an idea for some dialogue or whatever and am feeling too lazy to boot up my laptop, or if I want to plan something and it won't make sense if it's too structured like it would be if I typed it up They are useful if I have an idea before I'm about to go to sleep, I'm not having an idea and then not writing it down because I think I'll remember it in the morning again.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2012, 1:36 am
Third Year

I actually have two notebooks: one is an 'everything' notebook dedicated to any and all story ideas that I get (among other things).
The other is dedicated specifically to the current novel that I'm (trying) writing. This is useful for me because it prevents me from getting mixed up with all the other random stuff I write in my 'everything' notebook.
I know a lot of people use laptops but I'm so old-fashioned that I hardly have touched one (although I do plan on typing up my final draft).

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:58 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I always keep a tiny leather notebook with me at all times.

Old September 6th, 2012, 5:45 pm
Seventh Year

I keep story notes in several ways.

I keep a spiral notebook (one that's the size of a half sheet of paper folded hamburger-style so it's about 5" x 8") that I jote down plot ideas in, character sketches, names, location descriptions, interesting or funny exchanges of dialogue I happen to think of, anything that might be useful for a current or future story. I have learned not to depend on my lousy memory.

If I'm at a computer I plug my USB key in and bring up the Word document I use as my electronic copy of my sprial notebook - only this document doesn't just contain ideas or quotes or brief descriptions, it has fully fleshed out scenes of stories, full exchanges of action and dialogue between characters and if these scenes pertain to one story or deal with the group of characters I'm currently writing about I try to keep the scenes in a somewhat chronological order in which they would happen in the story itself (a scene delivering a problem comes before a scene that complicates the problem which comes before a scene that resolves the complication which comes before the scene that resolves the problem itself...) I tend to write out of order and in discreet scenes so I find this method helpful.

The only reason I don't use a notepad feature on my phone to keep notes (that's a great idea, BTW) is because I don't have a smart phone. If you do, though, that would be a very handy way to keep a sort of writing "notebook."

Old September 8th, 2012, 1:12 am
Registered Animagus

I have a hard time with the touchpad on my smartphone, but that is a really good idea.

I tend to not think about stories until I'm sitting at the keyboard. If something comes up, like a minor character's story pops into my head, I'll open up a new doc and start the story. I can usually get a couple of paragraphs in.

If something occurs to me about the wip, I'll type it in at the bottom where I keep my character notes and word counts. That way, I can plug it in at the appropriate time, if the appropriate time comes up. It doesn't always.

Old September 11th, 2012, 5:32 am
First Year

I have several notebooks in which I write in. If I'm at school and can't access a computer, I'll write in my notebook. At home, I write down future plans that I'm not ready to type up yet. If I'm out somewhere that I can't take a notebook, I'll key my ideas into my cell phone and read them later!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner