Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old October 17th, 2007, 4:16 am
Fourth Year

Re: Writer's Block

Watching T.V was a great way! We bought the new Transformers movie a few hours ago, we put it in, and then this whole thing of fire stuff came up, it gave me a WHOLE story plot! .

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 4:58 am
Third Year

If you know the gist of your story, but cant think of the actual writing part, create a music playlist to help you along. I cam up with the ending to my story just by listening to 'Any Other World' by Mika. I'll give you an example of my playlist for The Chronicles of Ellinore:

- Any Other World (Mika)
- The Wasps (Ralph Vaughn Williams)
- The Moldau Excerpt (Smetana)
- Forrest Gump Suite (Alan Silvestri)
- Quixote (Bond)
- Hymn (Bond)

And as I hear more good pieces, I add to it. Like I'm getting the LOTR and Narnia soundtracks.

Or find a place where you can sit and write. I went the other Monday to a place about two hours or less from my town called the Golden Valley Tre Farm, near Bridgetown. Its this HUGE place filled with trees and meadows, and being spring it was lovely. There was a lake, and a small creek and everything, so I went on a trek up and down hills, and filled an entire notebook with ideas. Sometimes nature can give you inspiration. At the tree farm, you could hear the trees creaking and groaning and the wind whistling through them. I then came up with the Enchanted Forest, where in the beginning of my story when two characters are walking through the forest, you can hear the creaking of the trees, which means that they are talking together. And you dont want to be caught in the forest at night. Why not? Because the trees move. Move you may ask. WEll, trees get pretty bored staying one place.

And so thats my ways of getting rid of WB

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:57 am
First Year

My brother studied writing and he had a teacher who made the class do little exercises. For example, he told the students to start writing and stop thinking. Like a brainstorm, yeah? When I get writer's block it's usually because I'm putting too much pressure on myself to perform.

You could start writing everything that goes through your head. It might not make sense at first, but don't go back and correct anything or read it over, just write and let it come on its own. The first stuff will probably be useless, but that's okay - you'll get an idea when you least expect it. The trick is to let yourself go.

Old October 25th, 2007, 1:47 am
Fourth Year

I try that, but I'm one of those complex people that always have to think, I can just be blurting out random things, but I have to think before I say anything at all, and writiting is worse with that because my hand starts to cramp and though I want to continue, all I can do is think! .

Old October 25th, 2007, 1:57 am
Rex's Mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
I try that, but I'm one of those complex people that always have to think, I can just be blurting out random things, but I have to think before I say anything at all, and writiting is worse with that because my hand starts to cramp and though I want to continue, all I can do is think! .
Same here. My tuba teacher was telling me today that I think too much, that I over think everything. He said I needed to stop thinking and to just play. It actually worked pretty well. I'm not sure how well it would work for me writing wise, though. I'm currently stuck on my fable. I'll probably get an idea eventually, and I do have a bit of one, I just don't know how to make it all work... I think I'll probably end up putting in much morte effort than is required for the assingment, but oh, well, that's just me.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I'm currently stuck on my fable. I'll probably get an idea eventually, and I do have a bit of one, I just don't know how to make it all work... I think I'll probably end up putting in much morte effort than is required for the assingment, but oh, well, that's just me.
Hey when it comes to writing there is no such thing as too much effort! I'm stuck on the finer plot points to my story - I've got an opening and a closing, but nothing in between.

Usually to fight the WB, i take my dog for a walk - it works wonders. I put my ipod on, and take a long, long walk around the block.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old November 6th, 2007, 6:49 am
Third Year

I talk to my friends. Usually I already have an idea of what's about to happen next in my novel. I discuss these ideas with people I rather like, and just being listened to seems to help me. Sometimes they even think of little random things that inspire me further!

But the main thing is, I try to get excited about what I'm going to write. I think of so many little details that putting them together is fairly simple. And I'm motivated to do that, because I've built up the hype, and it sounds awesome, and I can't wait until it's finally written so I can read it and share it.

Old November 9th, 2007, 5:41 pm
Registered Animagus

Usually if I take long baths, I get ideas for my next chapters of my fan-fiction in my head.

I need to do that... writer's block has been sneaking back to me these past couple of days.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:02 pm
First Year

I've discovered that mixing 2 tablespoons of instant coffee into a can of red bull can do wonders for the mind.

really screws up your heart rate though, so I'd avoid more then 1 every couple of days.

Harry and Ginny, don't try to deny it shippers.
Ron and Hermione, already bickering like an old married couple, so don't get your hopes up for anything else.
Neville and ??? I'm lost on this one.
Old November 15th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Fourth Year

Uh, sounds disgusting, I don't like either drink, , but hey, whatever helps . I found this really amazing remedy for writers block! When you're bored in math and really don't feel like doing it, writing really seems like the best option!

Old November 15th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Whenever I have writers' block -- I stop writing for awhile and just pop in a funny movie or listen to some good music. That tends to help to break me out of it . Also, if that doesn't work -- I take a short nap, in order to try and break out of a case of writers' block.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 15th, 2007 at 6:46 pm.
Old November 16th, 2007, 1:27 am
Fourth Year

Hehehehe, I was having some major issues with starting my NaNo story, and I couldn't think of how to write it, and I found out how. Actually sit in front of your computer with word up and type. It doesn't matter if it's nonsense or what, just type what you have and you'll either A) Get ideas. Or B) Write the beginning of a story. B worked for me.

Old November 28th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Sixth Year

I am on a writer's block...so I am writing a fanfiction...I have a good idea down...but i am stuck on the fanfiction as well!

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

When I have trouble getting ideas, I either wait for inspiration (watching movies helps me a lot), or, if I really get proactive about it, I start examining old ideas and characters I abandoned to see if I can revamp them. That's how I got my idea for the new novel I'm planning now.

But a lot of times, my main problem is just not sitting down to write, which I just have to force myself to do sometimes, knowing I'll be happy I did.

Old December 14th, 2007, 1:34 am
Third Year

One time, I was writing random things for my newsletter, when all of the sudden, my mind went blank, I tried to spell the word 'issue' but I couldn't. Then I started to panic, and I started to have a panic attack because of it. It was horrible, and I couldn't write anything for a whole hour... Lol.

Old December 20th, 2007, 2:21 am
Third Year

Usually in the summer I try to do something outside, in the winter its probably impossible since its bloody freezing here, but I suggest you go for a bike ride or a walk (bring a dog so you wont look a bit creepy) or just watch TV

Old January 17th, 2008, 5:22 am
Fifth Year

Hmmm
Those are interesting tips guys thanks. What I used to do when faced with the writers block was to fill out crosswords. the clues sometimes helped me think. Or I would start sudying something unrelated and somehow things would fall into place. Will try out some other tips offered here though.
Dreaming does help. Got all my ideas from dreams especially early morning ones.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old January 19th, 2008, 3:32 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I usually go off and do something else. I find that listening to music helps me. I can get a lot of inspiration from lyrics and rhythms. Also, as I'm lucky enough to live next to the coast and have some great scenery around where I live, I like to go and have a walk around the beaches and the cliffs. Scenery and solitude almost always spark ideas into my head

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old January 31st, 2008, 4:28 am
First Year

I've been working on the same book since I was 13, so I have had writers block a lot. Sometimes writing notes for my story helps. Other times, I listen to music really really loud and that clears my head. Some of the stranger things that I have done include running around the block barefoot in the middle of January and consuming half a chocalate cake. But usually, I just have to kind of write through it, sometimes rewriting the same sentance four times in a row.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 7:22 pm
First Year

Writers block is the worst! What I do is either ask my friends for advice or get away from it for a few days to get a fresh perspective.

Hermione Granger & Ginny Weasley
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner