Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

NaNoWriMo 2011!

Old October 11th, 2011, 7:25 pm
Third Year

Re: NaNoWriMo 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
I have a quick question about the two sites for NaNoWriMo... there's the 'young writer's program' one, and the 'adult' one. I qualify for the adult site, because I'm definitely over 13, but I also qualify for the YWP, because I'm younger than 17. To be honest, I'd much rather participate in the adult one, but I fear it may be too presumptuous and folks may look down on me. Thoughts?
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks anyway! Participate in the NaNo you want and don't worry about others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I don't know if I'm gonna plan or just dive in. Sigh. Decisions
Here's a compromise: Come up with 3-5 different plots you would like to write about (make them rather broad/generic) and do some minimal planning for each (one day, tops, per plot--just main characters, general story/conflict). On October 31st, put all of the ideas into a hat/bag/pillowcase and on November 1st, pull out one idea and run with it.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to ask what you guys think of the revamped NaNoWriMo website. I visited today and it looks like they've changed some things up. Have any of you had problems with it yet? For some reason, I can't get it to save my home region. Perhaps I'll give it a day and see if it works itself out.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.

Last edited by Inigo Imago; October 11th, 2011 at 7:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2011, 7:40 pm
Malum Veneficus

I can't find my way around there yet. I've had some trouble editing Author information. Also I can't find some threads I've been posting on only a few hours ago. I'm assuming they have been moved, but there's no search facility for the forums, .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I can't find my way around there yet. I've had some trouble editing Author information. Also I can't find some threads I've been posting on only a few hours ago. I'm assuming they have been moved, but there's no search facility for the forums, .
Actually, I'm pretty sure they wipe the forums each year (either a complete wipe or they move everything into locked archives). It's frustrating, I know, especially if you have been participating in a thread for a while, but I'm sure a new version will pop back up soon enough. You can always go in and start the next one if you wish!

I've been getting irritated with the author image bit because I can't get the picture I want to stick. It keeps reverting to an older picture that I already deleted. Shrug, I should probably wait it out.

Old October 12th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Imago View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure they wipe the forums each year (either a complete wipe or they move everything into locked archives). It's frustrating, I know, especially if you have been participating in a thread for a while, but I'm sure a new version will pop back up soon enough. You can always go in and start the next one if you wish!

I've been getting irritated with the author image bit because I can't get the picture I want to stick. It keeps reverting to an older picture that I already deleted. Shrug, I should probably wait it out.
The thread was created after they reset the website, that's why I was wondering where it could've possibly gone.

Regarding the image; Do you check the 'delete the picture' box and upload the new one at the same time? It might work that way.

Old October 21st, 2011, 8:56 pm
Suteki da ne

I've written down two completely different suggestions on paper, and it's all about deciding which one to do, and doing a sketchy plan...in 11 days...
Can I do it? Perhaps. Will I do it? Probably not, I'll just start writing on the 1st November and see what happens...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 31st, 2011, 1:43 pm
Malum Veneficus

So.. tomorrow is the first of November, . As usual I'm so excited to start, and this year I have things much better planned than any year before, so hopefully I'll be able to pass last year's limit. I'm still doubtful I can actually reach 50k words.

Old October 31st, 2011, 2:50 pm
Suteki da ne

I at least know now the relationship between all of my characters and the vague plotline, but I have no idea about how this will actually work

They only said it had to me 50,000 words, right? They didn't say that it had to be any good...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 31st, 2011, 7:40 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I haven't really planned, at all. It will probably be a murder mystery, because that's what I read most of, and I've got a vague idea for characters kicking around in my head, but I think I'm going to just freestyle it and see where it goes.

Old October 31st, 2011, 9:40 pm
Third Year

This is my first year attempting NaNoWriMo! I have a plan and some characters I really like so I'm just going to let them do what they want to an extent. I've no doubt it will be complete drivel but I'm excited to get started. Good luck to everyone!

Old November 1st, 2011, 5:06 pm
Sixth Year

This will also be my first year! I've had a general idea and characters already planned out in my head for awhile, and I've already put them down on paper.

It'll definitely be difficult because they say quantity, not quality - and I know that I do not like leaving small mistakes and inconsistencies, so this'll be a challenge!

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 1st, 2011, 6:23 pm
Second Year

Yay November 1st is finally here! *gets out all the outlining and starts rummaging through the papers*

i couldn't wait for it to be November so I could work on my story.. Which of course resulted in extreme procrastination and waiting to start writing until 5 PM. But it's up and running now and it seems like I'm getting somewhere *woopwoop*

It's going to be a challenge to write the 'in between'-scenes, the scenes that are filling and only to go from point A to point B - sort of a bridge between important scenes. Those are hell for me to write, but thankfully NaNo has a plot machine and word sprints with challenges like 'add a purple squid!' and 'let three penguins walz in on your botanic garden!', which will help immensely for me to get somewhere.

Another thing I'm thankful for; the extremely intense outlining that I've done in the past couple of weeks. Last year I just went with it, and ended up writing 20,000 words without having a clue what the plot could be, but I'm determined to actually write a story this year.

Anyhoo, good luck everyone and let's cheer eachother on during the month!! *takes out pompoms*

Old November 1st, 2011, 7:29 pm
Third Year

The Countdown Begins...

Welcome to the start of November, everyone. I hope you all had a fun Halloween and are ready to push forward into the craziest month of the year. Don't forget to take a little time each day/week to update your friends here at CoS on your progress--remember, you have an excellent support team just waiting to throw another plot bunny your way.

Best of luck to everyone! May your ideas flow and your fingers never ache.

Old November 1st, 2011, 9:19 pm

I've written 1492 words today - not really a good start, but better than nothing and I reached a natural place to stop.

Old November 1st, 2011, 9:22 pm
Fourth Year

I got to 5000 words today which I never thought I'd do, but to be fair I don't have many other commitments, and I didn't have anything planned today. I'm pretty happy! My only worry is that the start of the story was the most thought out part, and once I get into the swing of it I might start to fade a bit, but we'll see.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

My goal each day is 2084 words. Why? Because I don't do Sundays and I make sure to schedule a day or two off for Thanksgiving just so I don't have to worry about getting words in that day. I did make my goal today and hope I can say the same for tomorrow.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:45 am

This is my synopsis of what I've done so far:

Quote:
When a young black boy is found stabbed to death on a South London street, the police write him off as just another victim of ***-for-tat feuding between rival gangs. But two of the dead boy's neighbours - Sasha, a prim, ambitious trainee solicitor, who shared the deceased's devout Pentecostal Christian beliefs, and Rainbow, an ageing hippy living in an artists' commune - are troubled by a nagging sense that the police have got it badly wrong. Together, they decide to launch their own investigation into his murder, but first they have to overcome their own mutual distrust, born out of clashing values and lifestyles.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 1:03 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
This is my synopsis of what I've done so far:
That sounds very intriguing! Not to mention a very good, yet short synopsis. I need to work on mine, since I do have an idea.

Quote:
Five misfits from all walks of life, hired by an infamous and faceless drug lord, hold up a bank in hopes of a better life. As they realize how poorly planned the entire robbery is, their life experiences flash before their eyes as the walls begin closing in - forcing them to relive all their life's pivotal moments that led them to this single day.
I wrote this on the fly, so my synopsis needs some work and fine-tuning.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 2nd, 2011, 2:55 pm
Suteki da ne

Oh, I haven't started yet- I've had things on my mind...must start tonight though

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 2nd, 2011, 3:49 pm
Second Year

I'm currently at 5,445 words - but I'm not done for the day so I hope to crack at least 6K today.

*sends everyone good writing vibes*

Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:34 pm
Suteki da ne

I think I'm at just under a thousand- I kinda did it in work when I was meant to be cleaning...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner