Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Poll: Obama's job performance at one year

View Poll Results: What grade would you give Obama?
A 2 3.92%
A- 2 3.92%
B+ 7 13.73%
B 17 33.33%
B- 8 15.69%
C+ 2 3.92%
C 6 11.76%
C- 3 5.88%
D 2 3.92%
F 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10th, 2010, 3:21 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Poll: Obama's job performance at one year

I'll give people another week or so to vote, then the thread's closing. Feel free to add in more thoughts (without debating) in the meantime.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2010, 7:07 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I gave him a "C". Although I agree with very few of Obama's political views, I was expecting vast, monumental and sweeping changes to the government. In a way I was looking forward to it to shock us out of the laissez-faire politics that I think the country has been stuck in for decades. What I witnessed, however, was the same stereotypically stalwart behavior of politicians. I am amazed that with both houses of congress being democratically controlled, very little has happened.

If it weren't for Obama's exceptional talent of wooing me with his charisma, I think that I might be forced to rate him lower. I was looking for change and action, but instead of change and action, I get a grin, a hug, and the excuse that change takes time. The appearances with the lack of action to back them up is getting tiring, very quickly for me.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.

Last edited by lupislune; January 10th, 2010 at 10:18 pm.
Old January 10th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Second Year

I gave the President a C but, as a progressive, I am very dissappointed in President Obama's first year. My priorities for America, in order, are Healthcare, Economy, Civil Rights, War resolutions, Middle East Peace, Foreign Policy in general, Combating 'terrorism', then everything else.

You can't select a Zionist as Secretary of State and expect that the Muslim world will take anything in their part of the world seriously; Putting Geithner and Summers in a role in solving the financial crises when they initiated it, is just poor thinking - reinstate Glass-Steagull; Increasing troop numbers in Afghanistan while leaving 50,000 in Iraq forever will do nothing to reduce 'terrorists' - it will only increase their numbers. The President's grasp on the relationship between the Taliban, Pakistan and Al Qaeda seems to be faulty; Selecting the first transgender individual to a high post is nice, but 'don't ask don't tell' can be done away with in a day, if you were serious about rights of 9% of Americans who suffer discrimination daily; and most importantly, the President, in 2004, tallked about single payer as being a solution to the pharma/big medicine control over the health care industry. Instead of following up on his earlier thoughts, he goes to bed with them and lets a weak Senate and Congress develope a bill that will continue to result in the deaths of 45,000 Americans a year, while padding the profits of the 'health' insurance industry.

My teachers used to give me a C when they should have given me a lower grade because they knew I could do better if I applied myself and gave me an oppurtunity. I would love to see a turnaround in 2010.

Old January 11th, 2010, 2:18 am
Member of the Order

It's difficult to make a judgement call without looking back at the prior admin and thinking this one looks great in comparison.

However, as much as I would think it could be far worse, I frankly admit I'm feeling disappointed in what has been accomplished so far. And it may be a bit not too fair because I do realize that he's been trying to dig us out of the hole that's been dug for us.
But I don't want to settle for a level of mediocrity and think everything's great just because everything's...not so bad.

I want "Campaign Finance Reform" ******.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old January 11th, 2010, 3:44 am
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I want "Campaign Finance Reform" ******.
I want a Senate that works. The one we have now frankly smells to the high heavens, and it's high time those dudes and dudettes do something about the mess they're making of the people's business.

I've heard it said that the U.S. Senate is where legislation goes to die. If we were ever to doubt that statement, we only need to look at the year 2009.

I give the President high marks for trying, while granting that he doesn't have a whole lot to work with by way of the opposition party. This could have been a breakthrough year for our country. Instead we have another year of not much getting accomplished - by design.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old January 11th, 2010, 3:55 am
The Next Great Adventurer

That was what I see as a failing of Obama and one reason for my mark. He had the numbers to get what he wanted without the opposition. Had he made it clear he was willing to do so, they'd be more inclined to co-operate.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 13th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

IMO, the President and the Majority Democratic Congress have spent more time duking out with the media, than keeping their eye on the ball. From both angles, Conservative and Liberal, Republican and Democrat, there has been nothing but cheapshotting to the point that they are no longer looking making things in this country better, but trying to do things just to make the other side look bad. The President has made it his mission to rebuke Fox News, which in retaliation has become even more Ultra Conservative in its commentary. Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat Team have decided to fire upon Right Wing Media. CNN and the Republicans are at war.

The Media is supposed to be an unofficial check and balance of government, but instead has become an extension of one political party or another. The President is doing no good for the Nation by putting the media in his crosshairs, and neither has Congress.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives