Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

It's The End Of The World!



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:58 pm
YellowPoofBall's Avatar
YellowPoofBall  Undisclosed.gif YellowPoofBall is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4260 days
Posts: 905
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
What does Y2K mean?
Y2K is also known as The Year 2000 Problem. It was theorized that a glitch in computer programming would cause countless computer systems to be reset or shut down the moment the calendar changed from 99 to 00 because it resets the counting cycle. Mayhem was predicted because of the thought that the glitch would affect defensive military systems, possibly causing missiles to launch and destroy the Earth. That actually may only be part of what the theory was (or none, it's what I was told)

Again, I'm sorry if anybody was offended. Being cautious is not a weakness.


Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Wizard_Pupil  Undisclosed.gif Wizard_Pupil is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4870 days
Posts: 430
Re: It's The End Of The World!

So
Apocalipsis is coming, as religions has said as well. Acording to the Bible we are living the beginning of "the end of the world", it has a lot of explanation. The same science explain, its the same.

So, Jesus will be coming back soon.
Remember is not a bad thing if you are Christian Catholic and believe in God and Jesus.

I know this is the carpet of Science, I am not off topic XDD coz religion says the same thing , and its the explanation of God to humans. Not human explanation to humans.



Last edited by Wizard_Pupil; October 11th, 2007 at 11:07 pm.
  #23  
Old October 12th, 2007, 2:33 am
ModernInkling  Female.gif ModernInkling is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4434 days
Location: In a theater... on a stage...
Posts: 256
Re: It's The End Of The World!

I remember the Y2K scare, though I was only nine at the time. Mostly, I remember being slightly scared at first, but mostly very confused about the whole thing... I didn't really get it. I do remember people talking about it and making a lot of preparations, though - including my own parents.

It does all seem sort of silly now, but then again, hindsight is 20/20, so we shouldn't judge people harshly for being nervous. As YellowPoofBall said, being cautious is not a weakness.


__________________
"Dragons will wander about the waste places, and the phoenix will soar from her nest of fire into the air.
We shall lay our hands upon the basilisk, and see the jewel in the toad's head.
Champing his gilded oats, the Hippogriff will stand in our stalls,
and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
  #24  
Old October 12th, 2007, 3:17 am
Pox Voldius's Avatar
Pox Voldius  Undisclosed.gif Pox Voldius is offline
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant
 
Joined: 5268 days
Location: East of Omaha
Age: 35
Posts: 2,125
Re: It's The End Of The World!

People also thought that the world was going to end when the First Millenium AD ended.


__________________
  #25  
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:08 am
8m57w6's Avatar
8m57w6  Female.gif 8m57w6 is offline
Rex's Mummy
 
Joined: 4320 days
Location: Wonderland
Age: 27
Posts: 735
Re: It's The End Of The World!

I remember a hilarious commercial for running shoes during the Y2K scare. They show these two guys running along, and a city behind them is burning down, and people are screaming, and there's sirens, and all that stuff, and then they pass each other and both just go "Hey" and keep on running like usual. Much funnier if you saw it.

Ahem, back on topic. I really didn't have any idea why people were freaked out about Y2K. Also I had no idea what it meant. When my mom finally explained it to me, I thought it was a bit ridiculous. I couldn't see the world ending because of clocks, so I was just like "Yeah, whatever." about the whole thing. But I agree with what was said before, if the world does end, it will probably be completely unexpected, so just live the life you've got the best way possible while you can.


__________________

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
  #26  
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:32 pm
PotterPig's Avatar
PotterPig  Undisclosed.gif PotterPig is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4504 days
Posts: 421
Re: It's The End Of The World!

I actually live in Southern California and here is a note on the San Andreas fault: it actually runs north-south, which means that any plate movement will push California north, not west. So basically an earthquake is not going to sink California into the ocean or make California an island. It will just move it farther north.
Also there are many little faults around Southern California. In the last month the one closest to my house has been very active and I have actually felt four different little earthquakes. The largest one was 3.9 and all the rest have been between 2.0 and 3.4 ish. The little ones are really not that scary and I would much rather go through an earthquake than a hurricane or tornado. Besides the four that I felt there are many earthquakes every day that are so small nobody feels them except for seismographs.
As far as the San Andreas goes, the reason scientists are worried is because there has been no activity on it for a long time in Southern California which means that it is building up stress so when it finally does move it will be big. Their biggest concern is that our waterways will not hold and we will be in a huge water crisis. My biggest concern would be roads not holding up because if it happens during the day I want my husband to be able to come home from work. Of course it is impossible to predict anything time related about earthquakes so all we can do is be prepared for disaster and go on living our lives.
I would much rather live here and go through an earthquake than live in a place with tornadoes or hurricances.



Last edited by PotterPig; October 12th, 2007 at 4:41 pm.
  #27  
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 5002 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: It's The End Of The World!

The continents and plates are moving constantly and crashing on eachother all the time, I don't see why it should become such a big problem now. Since The Tsunami people seem to freak out easily and most every earthquake will mean the death of millions of people. There are nature events that happen from time to time and which kill many individuals. But not every day. Nobody can tell when it happens, so it makes no sense to get scared beforehand.

As for San Andreas, people know that they live on a hotspot, so no reason to get excited and scared now. If it was a new thing to discover then I understand the alarming of the people.

Actually many people believe that more nature desasters are killing more people. That's not true. Take hurricanes for example or floodings. There were floodings all the time through history, the only reason why less people died in the past is that people nowadays want to live everywhere. More people settle on dangerous places as well and when that place gets hit by a hurricane or earthquake, more people die.


__________________


The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; October 12th, 2007 at 5:04 pm.
  #28  
Old October 12th, 2007, 8:03 pm
JJFinch's Avatar
JJFinch  Female.gif JJFinch is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4328 days
Location: Cornwall, England
Age: 27
Posts: 834
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Someone's predicted the end of the world just about every day, and it hasn't happened so far, so I don't believe in any of the predictions. I just have a fun day laughing at the people who are freaking out.

More to the point though, do you know when in 2012 it's going to end - before or after the olympics, I don't want to miss them.


__________________


"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

  #29  
Old October 13th, 2007, 4:36 am
Lyra Black  Undisclosed.gif Lyra Black is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5172 days
Posts: 720
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernInkling View Post
I remember the Y2K scare, though I was only nine at the time. Mostly, I remember being slightly scared at first, but mostly very confused about the whole thing... I didn't really get it. I do remember people talking about it and making a lot of preparations, though - including my own parents.

It does all seem sort of silly now, but then again, hindsight is 20/20, so we shouldn't judge people harshly for being nervous. As YellowPoofBall said, being cautious is not a weakness.
There's still some debate whether the Y2K problem was averted because of all the work people did before hand, or if all that work was completely unnecessary. In fact, some systems did fail, but all were minor and caused only minor disruptions and all were quickly fixed, but if those problems had occurred on a global scale we would have had to cope with some very major disruptions. It's also important to note that all the fixes done for Y2K had some very good benefits not directly related to Y2K. Many companies installed decent backup systems which they made use of in later years (for example, when much of the north-east US had those blackouts).

Very few people were claiming that Y2K would cause the world to end. In fact, those that did are possibly the same people who think the world may end with the end of the Mayan calendar.


__________________
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (19172008)
  #30  
Old October 13th, 2007, 5:26 am
Pox Voldius's Avatar
Pox Voldius  Undisclosed.gif Pox Voldius is offline
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant
 
Joined: 5268 days
Location: East of Omaha
Age: 35
Posts: 2,125
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterPig View Post
My biggest concern would be roads not holding up because if it happens during the day I want my husband to be able to come home from work.
Or the 10 freeway falling down again (the overpass sections) like it did with the Northridge quake. Or any of the overpasses on the 110 (like that interchange with the 105) -- I have to drive that route to & from work, and I certainly wouldn't want to be on it in a big quake... and I especially wouldn't want to be around that particular interchange in a quake (triple-stacked overpasses, if you're not from around Los Angeles).


^ Not a place you want to be in an earthquake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Actually many people believe that more nature desasters are killing more people. That's not true. Take hurricanes for example or floodings. There were floodings all the time through history, the only reason why less people died in the past is that people nowadays want to live everywhere. More people settle on dangerous places as well and when that place gets hit by a hurricane or earthquake, more people die.
As well as the fact that there are just more people, period.


__________________

Last edited by Pox Voldius; October 13th, 2007 at 5:37 am.
  #31  
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:24 am
Necro  Male.gif Necro is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4529 days
Location: India.
Age: 33
Posts: 213
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Well, my religion predicts the apocalypse to be in the year 432000 AD, so I believe we have a long way to go.

It is true that many disasters have occured and are still intesifying. Heck, a mini-tornado was sighted in a remote town of India recently, and we have never had such phenomena in the Far East before!! But I believe we will survive for a long time, as all this cannot curb the over population.

However, its going to be tough when all animals and most forests become extinct.


  #32  
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:10 am
JJFinch's Avatar
JJFinch  Female.gif JJFinch is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4328 days
Location: Cornwall, England
Age: 27
Posts: 834
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
...

However, its going to be tough when all animals and most forests become extinct.
Yes, the real end of the world will be human kind's doing. I just hope that if we're taking the earth down, we'll go down with it, not just trot off to Mars and leave the earth to die. Being the repulsively selfish, greedy and cowardly creatures we are, however, I can't see us staying here to take our punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
The continents and plates are moving constantly and crashing on eachother all the time, I don't see why it should become such a big problem now. Since The Tsunami people seem to freak out easily and most every earthquake will mean the death of millions of people. There are nature events that happen from time to time and which kill many individuals. But not every day. Nobody can tell when it happens, so it makes no sense to get scared beforehand.

As for San Andreas, people know that they live on a hotspot, so no reason to get excited and scared now. If it was a new thing to discover then I understand the alarming of the people.

Actually many people believe that more nature desasters are killing more people. That's not true. Take hurricanes for example or floodings. There were floodings all the time through history, the only reason why less people died in the past is that people nowadays want to live everywhere. More people settle on dangerous places as well and when that place gets hit by a hurricane or earthquake, more people die.
Be that as it may, I can't help but think nature's taking it's revenge on us. It WILL win, and the harder we fight against it the bigger it's victory will be. Go Nature!


__________________


"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

  #33  
Old October 14th, 2007, 2:17 am
Lyra Black  Undisclosed.gif Lyra Black is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5172 days
Posts: 720
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
It is true that many disasters have occured and are still intesifying. Heck, a mini-tornado was sighted in a remote town of India recently, and we have never had such phenomena in the Far East before!! But I believe we will survive for a long time, as all this cannot curb the over population.
It's a bit of a myth that tornadoes should only occur in the USA, although most other countries usually experience only small tornadoes. Bangladesh is the only country other that the USA which is prone to large, violent tornadoes. You can read about some of these Bangladeshi tornadoes here.
Some tornadoes in India:
Quote:
April 19, 1963
A tornado in northwest Assam killed 139 people and left 3,760 families homeless in 33 villages along a 22-mile-long path. The tornado traveled towards the southeast. The Assam Province is northeast of Bangladesh.

March 17-18, 1978
In the northern suburbs of New Delhi, near the University, 28 people were killed and 700 were injured by a tornado that cut a path 3 miles long and 50 yards wide.

April 10, 1978
About 150 people died in a tornado in the Orissa District, mostly in the villages of Purunabandha and Keonjhargarh.

10 April, 1993
Scores of people were killed when a tornado struck the eastern Indian state of West Bengal yesterday, razing five villages to the ground.

24 March, 1998
A violent tornado or tornadoes killed 160 people and injured 2000 when it tracked through 20 coastal villages in the eastern states of West Bengal and Orissa. Many of the homes were constructed of mud, with thatched roofs, and people were pinned underneath when they caved in. Ten people were killed when the boat they were traveling in was lifted 20 feet into the air and smashed against the banks of a river. In Chakislampur, near the town of Danton, nine laborers who had been harvesting potatoes were killed when they were swept up into the air by the winds and then slammed back to earth. Fifty passengers of a bus were injured when strong winds blew it into a nearby canal. Local villagers cut open the doors of the bus to rescue some of the passengers, who were later hospitalized. Thirty-five children were crushed to death when a school building being used as a shelter collapsed at Goborghata in the Balasore district in Orissa. The tornadoes flattened 15,000 homes and left more than 10,000 people homeless.


__________________
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (19172008)
  #34  
Old October 16th, 2007, 3:00 am
DeathlyH's Avatar
DeathlyH  Male.gif DeathlyH is offline
Defender of Dogs
 
Joined: 4316 days
Location: In a dream
Posts: 2,129
Re: It's The End Of The World!

It's rather interesting that they came to that odd conclusion, but I simply have trouble finding it true. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers last year, when the world was supposed to end on 6/6/06, the Devil's day. The funny part is, that day had already happened 19 times, and the world hasn't ended yet, I believe. I believe these incedents will just keep cropping up, but we will never live to see the end of the world, nor will our children, or grandchildren, or their great-great-great-great-great-great children.... Well, yeah, you get the point. The end of the world won't come around for a loooong time.


  #35  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:35 am
Mrscole  Undisclosed.gif Mrscole is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4181 days
Posts: 148
Re: It's The End Of The World!

History of the world has changed since it's creation, many times, from a gases form. from dinosours,etc, so the end of the world as we know will come but it will still be here, perhaps not livable for our kind of lifeform but something will be here. This is how I look at it anyhow.


  #36  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 2:55 am
Kevin's Avatar
Kevin  Male.gif Kevin is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5715 days
Location: Gallifrey
Age: 37
Posts: 2,667
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post

I also saw on TV once a Pyshic predict that there would be a major US earthquake on the west coast in 2010 and most of California would be lost in the sea....
Sounds a bit like the plot to one of the Superman films i.e. Lex Luthor sinking California into the sea etc.

As for the end of the world ? If it comes, then there ain't much we can do about it. And what would the end of the world actually be ? The end of Human beings, if so it won't be the end of the world. Just the end of a species.
The Earth has gone through a few mass extinctions, and life has clung on.
I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy life while it lasts.


  #37  
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Voldemorts8thHorcrux's Avatar
Voldemorts8thHorcrux  Female.gif Voldemorts8thHorcrux is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4620 days
Location: just took over world,on throne
Age: 24
Posts: 5,710
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I saw this on the history channel as well. I think they also pointed out that the Mayans predicted a few of the natural disasters that have already happened.

I don't know about predicting the end of the world, I kind of feel like it will happen when we least expect it and have not predicted it. But, I do find it interesting to read how our world is changing and evolving. I really don't think the world is doomed within our lifetime, but I do feel it is our duty to do what we can for the our future generations.

I also saw on TV once a Pyshic predict that there would be a major US earthquake on the west coast in 2010 and most of California would be lost in the sea....
i actualy missed this, why do the interesting shows occur so late at night?

but i cant believe that doomsday could be so early. i was thinking that it would be a good few centuries or millenias before the world ends. this seems very possible, which is what scares me the most.


__________________


Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)


  #38  
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:14 am
dobbylikesme  Female.gif dobbylikesme is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4854 days
Location: Hamburg
Age: 42
Posts: 85
Re: It's The End Of The World!

I actually just read this little bit in the newspaper today about a group of people from a cult in Russia, who have recently gone into hiding deep inside some caves, to wait there for the world to end. When the police tried to get them out of there, they threatened to kill themselves (great way to survive the end of the world). It didn't say what happened after that, but why not just let them stay in there and let them wait all they want??


__________________

Johnny Depp
is...



Harry Potter

  #39  
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:38 am
Voldemorts8thHorcrux's Avatar
Voldemorts8thHorcrux  Female.gif Voldemorts8thHorcrux is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4620 days
Location: just took over world,on throne
Age: 24
Posts: 5,710
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
I actually just read this little bit in the newspaper today about a group of people from a cult in Russia, who have recently gone into hiding deep inside some caves, to wait there for the world to end. When the police tried to get them out of there, they threatened to kill themselves (great way to survive the end of the world). It didn't say what happened after that, but why not just let them stay in there and let them wait all they want??
I know i really shouldnt be laughing, but that's pretty funny. and really, killing themselves is a pretty good way to survive the end of the world. i'd rather kill myself through a quick and easy method than dying from dehydration or being burned alive. the point is, if i had defnite proof that the world will end tomorrow, or even if i knew i would defnitely die in an extremely painful method, i would just kill myself. however, if you're trying to escape death, why would you hide in a hole to threaten you would kill yourself if they tried to remove you.

but i dont think the end of the world is so soon. we have at least a few decades. i hope


__________________


Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)


  #40  
Old November 18th, 2007, 1:05 am
LoveWeasleys's Avatar
LoveWeasleys  Female.gif LoveWeasleys is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4243 days
Location: The Water Gardens
Age: 34
Posts: 2,487
Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
i actualy missed this, why do the interesting shows occur so late at night?
It was on a looooong time ago too, I think it was the other of the Bible Codes book. The book that claims that the taking certain Bible passages or letters on a page spell out the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
but i cant believe that doomsday could be so early. i was thinking that it would be a good few centuries or millenias before the world ends. this seems very possible, which is what scares me the most.
I don't think so either. I think that the example I shared was sort of just the beginning to the end or just another natural disaster.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:53 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.