Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

It's The End Of The World!

Old January 31st, 2008, 3:52 am
Fourth Year

Re: It's The End Of The World!

.. It is very possible that the world will end in our lifetime.. But not because of anything natural, or from anything prophesied..
If the world did end in our lifetime, it will be because humans did it to themselves.. through pollution, or war, or even over population..

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Last edited by kuroi_shi; January 31st, 2008 at 3:55 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2008, 2:14 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
.. It is very possible that the world will end in our lifetime.. But not because of anything natural, or from anything prophesied..
If the world did end in our lifetime, it will be because humans did it to themselves.. through pollution, or war, or even over population..
Even with those things it's unlikely that the End will happen in our lifetime. None of those can effect the destruction of the humans within a few years. There will be always surviver of wars and pollution isn't spreading that it will kill off so many people in a few years and how is over population causing the End of the World? Those thing might cause a change of the world, but definitely not the end.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 31st, 2008, 3:44 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I know of one man who predicted an awful lot of things that supposedly came true. Nostradamus. Unfortunately I don't know if he has predicted the end of the world. Does anyone know about it?

This thread was facinating to read, but I really don't think we can we predict the end of the world, unless all the nukes go off at once. Yikes! That would be terrible and may really cause some serious damage.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old February 1st, 2008, 1:06 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I know of one man who predicted an awful lot of things that supposedly came true. Nostradamus. Unfortunately I don't know if he has predicted the end of the world. Does anyone know about it?
He predicted the end and I am sure that it should happen years ago, because there was such a hype about it.

Did a search. The world was supposed to end on 11th August 1999 and 6th May 2000 and ... looks like he wasn't lucky with his predictions we're still here.

Quote:
This thread was facinating to read, but I really don't think we can we predict the end of the world, unless all the nukes go off at once. Yikes! That would be terrible and may really cause some serious damage.
I agree it's almost impossible to predict a date. IMO it wont happen on one day but it will be a slow process.

I heard a few days ago a meteor went past the Earth soooo close. Close for the astronomers of course, what means many 100,000s km. When it had hit us whole Europe would be destroyed.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; February 1st, 2008 at 1:39 am.
Old February 1st, 2008, 1:32 am
First Year

The problem with predicting anything as large as the end of the world is that nature (and humans) are unpredictable. Even with the science and technology we possess now, there isn't a guarantee that these will prove true, as mentioned earlier.

Old February 1st, 2008, 5:20 am
Always Indy's Girl

I always thought if the end of the earth were to come, it would not be because of ourside sources but because of ourselves. In this century alone we have developed so many weapons that can harm and destroy seriously. We saw that in the WWII and after that in every war that has been fought since then.

If we cannot live with ourselves (I mean with other peoples and fight because of religion mainly, but also because of other reasons; the end of the world will come sooner rather than later.

It is high time IMO, people exercise the choice that they have, wisely and employ it to live peacefully rather than to think it important to show their superiority in one way or other and fight themselves to death.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old February 22nd, 2008, 4:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
The only thing that could kill off the human race quickly is a mass extinction event (which has happened twice in the very distant past, in geological terms we are just a blink of an eye).
Though given our skills at survival and adapting to new environments i think the human race would survive a mass extinction event, all be it we may evolve into something new.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old February 22nd, 2008, 8:25 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
For a long time, I have worried about the San Andreas Fault suffering a massive earthquake, sending a good half of California either out to sea or to the bottom of it. This would be probably the worst disaster the world has ever witnessed. Hundreds of thousands of people could die if that happened... even if half of California floated out to sea, an earthquake of that size to break the fault could kill hundreds of people.

This is depressing talk, I know... but this is my one great worry.

That is why I live in the Midwest. All we worry about is Tornadoes. I live in Tornado Alley and have been lucky enough to have never seen a Tornado up close.
San Andreas doesn't scare me nearly as much as New Madrid. At least buildings in California are reinforced to protect them against earthquakes. New Madrid's last major quake in 1812 changed the course of the Mississippi River, caused major damage in St. Louis (150 miles away), and rang churchbells in Boston (1200 miles away).

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 9:57 pm
Fifth Year

Believe it or not, something big is, in fact, going to happen on December 21, 2012. An astronomical event so big, and so rare, it only occurs once every 25,800 years. But what is it?

On December 21, 2012, at 11:11 AM GMT, the Earth will be in complete direct alignment with the Sun and the center of the Milky Way (which is, for those who don't know, a giant black hole). What does this mean? Well, nobody knows for sure, but Prophets seem to think the meaning is quite dire.

Some astronomers, in fact, also believe the meaning is dire. They believe this could cause a very rapid pole shift... within a few hours, some say. What would this cause? Imagine the effects of global warming, magnified a billion times, all in one day (through NO fault of humanity).

In fact, it's quite possible that our poles are already shifting. Why? Global warming. A pole shift would in fact cause glaciers to melt, sea levels to rise, and climates to change... and with as much pollution as we produce, we as people would play NO part in a Pole Shift... this is the fault of the Sun and our Galactic Equator.

Other astronomers believe, however, that we as people have nothing to worry about... the world is not going to end.

But something is going to happen on December 21, 2012. The question is what, if anything, should we prepare for?

http://alignment2012.com/

http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

Google Search for December 21, 2012

Google Search for 25,800 Years Ago

The History Channel did a show on this only last night called Doomsday 2012: The End of Days. Here's the description:

--------------------------------------------
Common wisdom has it we prepare for our future by understanding our past. But did the ancient prophets already know the future? Are we living now in the world they predicted? In this enlightening and often unsettling series, THE HISTORY CHANNEL® revisits the prophecies and divinations of the Ancients and traces them to the modern events they may have been predicting.

But what if we have no future? What if life on Earth is destined to end in five years?

A surprising number of prophets - from ancient oracles to contemporary internet-crawling software "bots" - point to December 21, 2012 as the End of Days. Could the concentration on this date be merely coincidence, or is there something deeper behind it?

DOOMSDAY 2012: THE END OF DAYS undertakes a sweeping examination of these fateful forecasts. During this hour, consider the ancient Mayan Calendar, the medieval predictions of Merlin, the Book of Revelation and the Chinese oracle of the I Ching, all highlighting the same terminal date. Then learn of a new technology - a web-bot crawling the internet to predict the future - that has independently concluded there's no need to plan a New Year's 2013 Party.

Hear from skeptics who point to a long history of "Failed Doomsdays;" then reflect on the disturbingly accurate track-record of many oracles of doom throughout history. As the year 2012 ticks ever closer is there any reason to believe these doomsayers?

Decide for yourself after viewing DOOMSDAY 2012: THE END OF DAYS.
--------------------------------------------

ETA:

One more thing I think everyone should know about:

The Web-Bot Project

http://aphroditeastrology.com/2007/0...-and-2012.html

Started out as a means of predicting the stock market, operators began noticing, in 2001, some very interesting strings. Then, in June 2001, this program said that a life-altering event would take place in 60-90 days. Around 60 days later, 9/11 would prove this program correct. Now it's predicting December 21, 2012, as the date of a "worldwide calamity."

Please read the article in the link above for more...

See? Those are cool spoilers! They can make you cool. I like them. Because then I know what to spend my money on (J.R.R. Tolkien) and what to avoid (J.K. Rowling)...

H/Hr

Last edited by Nathaniel; March 3rd, 2008 at 10:08 pm.
Old March 4th, 2008, 4:04 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
San Andreas doesn't scare me nearly as much as New Madrid. At least buildings in California are reinforced to protect them against earthquakes.
A US Geological Survey study estimates that if a 1906 magnitude quake hit San Francisco (and one will) it would cause $15.3b damage to buildings, 30% of buildings would be wrecked, $24.7b direct economic cost and 30,000 people would be displaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
Started out as a means of predicting the stock market, operators began noticing, in 2001, some very interesting strings. Then, in June 2001, this program said that a life-altering event would take place in 60-90 days. Around 60 days later, 9/11 would prove this program correct. Now it's predicting December 21, 2012, as the date of a "worldwide calamity."
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
On December 21, 2012, at 11:11 AM GMT, the Earth will be in complete direct alignment with the Sun and the center of the Milky Way (which is, for those who don't know, a giant black hole). What does this mean? Well, nobody knows for sure, but Prophets seem to think the meaning is quite dire.

Some astronomers, in fact, also believe the meaning is dire. They believe this could cause a very rapid pole shift... within a few hours, some say. What would this cause? Imagine the effects of global warming, magnified a billion times, all in one day (through NO fault of humanity).

In fact, it's quite possible that our poles are already shifting. Why? Global warming. A pole shift would in fact cause glaciers to melt, sea levels to rise, and climates to change... and with as much pollution as we produce, we as people would play NO part in a Pole Shift... this is the fault of the Sun and our Galactic Equator.
Your claim is completely impossible. The galactic center, sun and earth can never align. A properly qualified astronomer would never claim otherwise. But then you later talk about the galactic equator (rather than the galactic center)?? If you mean that the sun will align with the galactic equator then yes, that's possible. But you're several years too late. It happened in 1997. Amazingly, absolutely nothing happened. You may want to read this.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)
Old March 5th, 2008, 6:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra Black View Post
Your claim is completely impossible. The galactic center, sun and earth can never align. A properly qualified astronomer would never claim otherwise. But then you later talk about the galactic equator (rather than the galactic center)?? If you mean that the sun will align with the galactic equator then yes, that's possible. But you're several years too late. It happened in 1997. Amazingly, absolutely nothing happened. You may want to read this.
But it isn't my claim. Follow the links I posted. It is the claim of most astronomers.

You need to see Doomsday 2012 on the History Channel. I don't know when they plan on showing it again, but if you grab a chance, see it. And yes, it is possible. I'm not sure why you think it isn't. And this alignment has already occurred... 25,800 years ago.

Again, follow the links.

ETA:

I've read your link before... it's unconvincing.

See? Those are cool spoilers! They can make you cool. I like them. Because then I know what to spend my money on (J.R.R. Tolkien) and what to avoid (J.K. Rowling)...

H/Hr
Old March 5th, 2008, 7:16 pm
She Who Walks Behind

If the same thing happened 25,800 years ago, why is the world still there? And when it's fool proof why are there no precautions taken to save us?

The End of the Dream.
Old March 6th, 2008, 1:27 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
But it isn't my claim. Follow the links I posted. It is the claim of most astronomers.

You need to see Doomsday 2012 on the History Channel. I don't know when they plan on showing it again, but if you grab a chance, see it. And yes, it is possible. I'm not sure why you think it isn't. And this alignment has already occurred... 25,800 years ago.

Again, follow the links.
I looked at the links. No astronomers make any claims about alignment disasters in any of those links. All the claims are being made by people who study the Mayan calendar. The fact that you confuse the galactic center and the galactic equator should make anyone question what you write.

Edit: apologies for my last sentence. It was more than a bit harsh. I just wanted to emphasis that your claims didn't really make sense.

Quote:
ETA:

I've read your link before... it's unconvincing.
Which points do you disagree with?

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)

Last edited by Lyra Black; March 6th, 2008 at 11:58 am.
Old March 6th, 2008, 3:28 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra Black View Post
I looked at the links. No astronomers make any claims about alignment disasters in any of those links. All the claims are being made by people who study the Mayan calendar. The fact that you confuse the galactic center and the galactic equator should make anyone question what you write.
To add to that, if you search, say, The Astrophysical Journal or The Astronomical Journal, which are published for the American Astronomical Society, you'll find precious little, if nothing at all, that can really be said to be related to this claim about the alignment with the galactic center. If "most astronomers" were claiming this, you'd think there would be a significant and identifiable mention in one of these journals.

Last edited by Pox Voldius; March 8th, 2008 at 9:28 pm. Reason: I just noticed a typo...don't know how I didn't catch it sooner...
Old March 8th, 2008, 9:13 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

I'm still waiting to see some science to support what you're posting, Nathaniel. A program on the History Channel, despite its graphics and interviews with notable scientists, isn't evidence. Those scientists are part of the media circuit, they're interviewed about everything from global warming to the effect of Mars on Henry VIII's shoes. I believe I've even seen the show you mentioned, and I think we probably have slightly different opinions about what it meant and how convincing it was.

These "end of the world" scares happen every few years in different places, so that someone's almost always predicting the end of the world. If the Mayan calendar was meant to predict the end of the world, why was it unable to predict the end of the Mayan civilization?

Old March 8th, 2008, 10:23 pm
She Who Walks Behind

There are so many "scientific" shows that show about the end of the world and how it will come, with experts in it claiming that we are gone when this and that happens at that time. Death by meteor crash, death by huge climate change, death by whatever. Just yesterday I watched one about the upcoming death of the people who live close to Yosemite Nationalpark, caused by an explosion in a lake which is long overdue.

Just found a page about the end of mankind and how most possible reasons according to Sir Martin Rees (British astronom). The page is in German so here the interesting parts translated.

Since the 20th Century the biggest catastrophes are caused by humans themselves. Around 187 mio people died in the 20th Century from the hand of other people. For the first time more people lost their lifes due to war and totalitarian regims than through natural catastrophes.

With the possibility of the total nuclear war for the first time mankind was threatened as a whole. By the further technical progress humans draw more closer to their total destruction.

Scientists like the English astrophysicist Martin Rees estimate the chance of survival of mankind in this century pessimistically. The probabilities specified here come from Martin Rees and refer on the coming 100 years:

5th Place:    

The Last Experiment

Physicians let atoms collide in gigantic underground particle accelerators.
Experiments with hundredfold stronger particle accelerators are conceivable. With you one - also in nature - could be produced unparalleled energy concentration with the collision of the atoms. Researchers assume, a tear in our area could develop, a kind black hole, which destroys or devours all subject. That would be the end not only for mankind, but for the whole universe. Like that something is conceivable, but most improbable. The probability is with 1:100.000.

4th Place:    

Deep Impact

The last large impact of a large Asteroiden is approximately 65 million years ago. One assumes that he is responsible also for the fall of the dinosaurs. Asteroiden, which fell into the sea, could release gigantic flutwellen, which devastate numerous coastal regions. Other impacts lead by dust clouds to life-hostile climatic conditions. There are many Asteroiden in the solar system unbelievably. Most are in a planet belt, between Mars and Jupiter. Their impacts are badly predictable, because they often partly or completely apart break. The probability for a Asteroideneinschlag is with 1:1000.

3rd Place:    

Evil Nano Machines

The technical progress lets ever smaller and more intelligent machines invent us. Soon high-intelligent nano-machines can be built from individual atoms. These will increase like bacteria fast. The industry will use it, in order to accelerate all possible production processes. The horror scenario: A mutation. To be exterminated with efficient metabolism and under use of the solar power these nano-machines in a the position would be all organic life rapidly to increase and. The chance for it in the coming 100 years amounts to 1:1000.

2nd Place:    

Killer Virus

Before two years scientists tested, as easy it is to download from the InterNet a genetic blueprint for a dangerous virus. They could build a virus up after this guidance from individual gene watering gene. These harmless gene successions are simple already today to buy. In few years the genetic blueprints of a large number of viruses, which are archived by laboratories in data bases, will be accessible other scientists over the InterNet. The blueprint of the Ebola virus is already archived and accessible. Then terrorists a HIV virus could build up that like a flu spreads. In addition, a laboratory accident can have deadly consequences for mankind. Since 1970 smallpox is considered as exterminated. But instead of the virus completely to eliminate, two laboratories in the USA and Russia keep it. Surely always? The researchers are sceptical and see the probability for a final killer virus at 1:10.

No. 1 reason:    

Nuclear Threat

The most dangerous moment of human history was the Cuba crisis of 1962. Because it brought almost the nuclear exchange. The cold war is past, still there but the weapons are. However in the former Soviet Union material for 70.000 atomic blowing up heads lies. Terrorists can steer in the future rockets with government inspection department, the satellite system (with also cars to be navigated). But the last nuclear war will mean not immediately the end of whole mankind, only the immediate end of the civilization. A few humans will probably survive the next nuclear war. Whether is enough, to receive in order the human kind? Scientists see the probability for an atomic exchange with 1:3.

(I admit I used Bablefish here. )

The End of the Dream.
Old March 9th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

The magnetic poles shift on a regular basis, though i believe they are around 200,000 years overdue for a flipping event of mass destruction (i couldn't resist the pun). The only way for the climate to boil as you seem to think it will do is if the sun expands as far as the Earth's orbit around it. Then the Earth go KABOOM.

The most damage a magnetic shift of the poles would do is destroy modern civilisation i.e. Electronics would be destroyed via the Earth's magnetic field being distorted by a magnetic flip of the poles. Now if the Earth lost it's magnetic core, then the planet would be unprotected from solar radiation (the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of the Solar radiation from the sun back out into space preserving the atomosphere and climate). End result would be a slow but deadly errosion of the Earth's atmosphere and climate. The Earth would then become like mars.

And man has been predicting the end of the world for thousands of years, i'm sure it was predicted long before the mayans formulated there long count calendar.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old March 15th, 2008, 5:36 pm
She Who Walks Behind

This was mentioned in another thread and I will steal the idea.

How much do you think did movies alter our vision on The End of the World?
There are so many apocalyptical movies, which contain this topic. Some are based on natural events like "The Day After Tomorrow", "Armageddon" etc. Theoretically things that happen in the movies could also happen in real life.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 15th, 2008, 6:53 pm
Third Year

Not that I belive in the end of the world but the theories that people come up with are endlessly fascinating. I have come across 2 recently.

I saw a programme, the lost book of Nostradamus on History channel http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=56121, Theres a bunch of pictures that he supposedly drew and they were found in the National library in Rome in 1994. It was a collection of pictures and 3 letters one of which was a letter which had his name on it so the whole collection is ascribed to him (even though all of the other pictures we know he drew were rubbish and his son was an artist, go figure).

In a few of the pictures there is an 8 spoked wheel which one guy explained as being representative of an alignment between the divine cross and the mundane cross in the heavens. The divine cross is a line from the centre to the edge of the galaxy and a line through the "centre point of the celestial equator to the southern point of the celestial equator" and the mundane cross is "formed by the angles between equinox and soltice and so forth". I've got sky plus - similar to Tvio? - and watched the bit over and over again and it simply does not make any sense to me, is this the same alignment that is metioned further up in the thread? Can somebody explain it? This alignment supposedly happens every 13,000 years.

And there is another picture which is supposed to be 3 solar eclipses bound by 2 Lunar eclipses, which apparently is the time period of 1992 to 2012. A bunch of the rest of the pictures are suppoed to represent stuff like the pope and women turning away from him and a lot of other stuff.

The other one is the Mormon theories. My parents are and I was brought up a Mormon. They have a book of 50 signs of the times and the second coming.
link here http://www.abysmal.com/Merchant2/mer...Category_Code= Some of the signs are about the restoration of the church and its doctrines others are general chaos, immorality, destruction and danger some stuff about the Jews and Jeruselem. But one of them is that the rainbow will be withdrawn, one it is we will have one year - apparently.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives