Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

It's The End Of The World!

Old March 27th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Ultimate Dog Lover

Re: It's The End Of The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
This was mentioned in another thread and I will steal the idea.

How much do you think did movies alter our vision on The End of the World?
There are so many apocalyptic movies, which contain this topic. Some are based on natural events like "The Day After Tomorrow", "Armageddon" etc. Theoretically things that happen in the movies could also happen in real life.
There are, we are inundated and obsessed in the movies and media with apocalyptic tales! I think it has had a great effect on the mentality of the population.

That and the state of affairs around the world. We are blasted by events from all around the globe..live in many cases. It is so easy to piece facts from any "end of the world" prophecy into some world event. Mix and match!

Frankly, I'm old enough to remember all to many of the "End of the World" hysterics from the alignment of planets, millennium prophecies and, of course, religious prophecies of all types.

I am on a couple other forums pertaining to my interest in Geology. On all these boards are what we affectionately call, "Disaster Junkies"...these are people, for whatever reason, not only promote the worst case scenarios to fit prophecy but seem to root for them. It's an interesting phenomena.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:54 pm
Banned

I find this hard to believe. I've heard tons of "It's the end of the world!" theroys. Some I guess are realistic and you could possibly believe that they're true and others well arn't quite so realistic. I'm not too woried. If I die, I die. Hey at least I'll have made it to 17.

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I find this hard to believe. I've heard tons of "It's the end of the world!" theroys. Some I guess are realistic and you could possibly believe that they're true and others well arn't quite so realistic. I'm not too woried. If I die, I die. Hey at least I'll have made it to 17.
I agree; people often say that the world will end on a specific date (like 6-6-06), but it doesn't. I really don't think the world will be ending within the next fifty years. But others may have different opinions.

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I agree; people often say that the world will end on a specific date (like 6-6-06).
I remember that day. Right when it turned six o'clock my friends started freaking out. I was just sitting on the floor of my friends bedroom looking at them like they belonged in the wacky shack. Lol!

Old April 20th, 2008, 4:21 am
Second Year

noooo! I'm too young to die!! These things really, really freak me out so much! What saddens me also is that all the culture, the grat music, pintings, etc, it'll be all *poof!* over!

OMG...I won't reach my twenty! forgent that, If the world ends in 2012, I'll die...hmm...seventeen years old!

I hope not!

Old April 20th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't take any of that seriously, every generation has seen/heard claims that the world would end in their lifetime. IMO, it's like that saying "Live every day as if it were your last, someday, you'll be right"- if people keep predicting the world is about to end, someone will eventually be right.

Old April 20th, 2008, 10:41 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
Amyway, speaking of natural disasters, I watched this mocumentary in year 9 called Supervolcano, that was about the volcano at Yellowstone national park. Apparently it was due for an explosion a while ago. I can't exactly remember all the figures, but it would be EXTREMELY catastrophic... the amount of material that would be ejected is more than any other volcano in history. And it's not the lava you have to be worried about, it's more the poisonous gases that wouldn't escape the atmosphere for probably more than a decade.
I heard something like that.

The Yellowstone Caldera reliably erupted every 600,000 years. It's been anywhere from 620,000 to 640,000 years since the last eruption. So it's a little overdue... That last eruption almost wiped out the human race.

The planet has weathered 5 mass exinction level events. The worst was 245 million years ago.

Some scientists believe that even worse is happening now.

If the world is to end, I suspect it will go out with a whimper rather than a bang.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old April 21st, 2008, 1:18 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I don't take any of that seriously, every generation has seen/heard claims that the world would end in their lifetime. IMO, it's like that saying "Live every day as if it were your last, someday, you'll be right"- if people keep predicting the world is about to end, someone will eventually be right.
Too true, unfortunately. People will always be thinking negatively, or at least some, so I find it very likely that people will be worrying more about all these end of the world rumors than the current problems at hand that may yet end the world, such as the United States' global warming crisis. I think we should stop worrying about all these spiritual things and focus on the immediate problem. If we want to stop global warming, or even make an effort to reduce greenhouse gases, then we should get a little closer to Earth than things predicted thousands of years ago.

Old April 26th, 2008, 12:33 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I have to admit that I think we are heading for a mass extinction. I think a lot of species are going to disappear in the next 50 years. (I'll be surprised if the polar bears make it in the wild beyond about 2020) The human race will survive -just.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old April 26th, 2008, 1:05 am
Second Year

But this is just because humans are so greedily spreading around the Earth, taking away space from the other species.

As for our world, I doubt it will end before some thousand of years. Yes, it is drawing to a close- but we have to remember in what dimensions we are measuring here. Dinosaurus have lived for 165 million years on this Earth. For all we know, humans are there since barely 180 thousand years.

Nothing happens fast on this Earth. Don't worry- we won't face the End, there are still some thousands of years to go.

Last edited by HarrietaPotter; April 26th, 2008 at 1:07 am.
Old April 26th, 2008, 7:30 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I think we're heading toward an ecological collapse. We're poisoning our air and water and destroying forests which remove carbon dioxide and replenish oxygen. We're killing off all the biodiversity that we rely upon for our existence. We will experience dangerous global warming and the freak weather it will spawn. We're facing mass starvation from overpopulation and the above mentioned destruction of our environment. We'll survive, but it won't be pretty.

And that's ignoring any deliberate man-made evils like disease or weapon of mass destruction. However, it won't happen on any specific date. I suspect the next 100 years will be crucial.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old April 26th, 2008, 2:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I think we're heading toward an ecological collapse. We're poisoning our air and water and destroying forests which remove carbon dioxide and replenish oxygen. We're killing off all the biodiversity that we rely upon for our existence. We will experience dangerous global warming and the freak weather it will spawn. We're facing mass starvation from overpopulation and the above mentioned destruction of our environment. We'll survive, but it won't be pretty.

And that's ignoring any deliberate man-made evils like disease or weapon of mass destruction. However, it won't happen on any specific date. I suspect the next 100 years will be crucial.
I have to say I find that scenario, of humans slowly destroying the things that are essential to life far more plausible than the world ending on a particular date, because of some signs, with trumpets sounding and the four horsemen charging across the skies.

Although, overall, I think what a lot of it comes back to is doomsayers, as there have been always; some examples I can think of at the moment are: in 1666,there were people who beleived the world would end,because the number of the beast was in the year and took the Great Fire of London as confirmation/as a sign of this. Plus, most of us can remember the "Millennium Bug" paranoia of the late 90s.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 26th, 2008, 4:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:

I absolutely agree that we do that. And survival won't be pretty, as you say...However, I doubt it will be the end of the world- even the end of humans, to answer the topic question. Which, really, should be no consolation at all..

Old April 27th, 2008, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrietaPotter View Post
I absolutely agree that we do that. And survival won't be pretty, as you say...However, I doubt it will be the end of the world- even the end of humans, to answer the topic question. Which, really, should be no consolation at all..
It won't be the end of the world. But our civilization will alter drastically.

Old April 27th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
It won't be the end of the world. But our civilization will alter drastically.
Yeah, I think the term "end of the world" is used loosely. It doesn't mean that the world is literally going to end, just that civilization will die out and the earth will become unfit for so much life. I would be very surprised if the earth itself ends before the sun gives out. And we don't have to worry about that right now.

Old April 28th, 2008, 8:13 am

A collapse of civilization is possible.

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:52 am
Knower of things

I'm not quite sure it's the end of the world but all the natural disasters that are again occurring give cause for concern to most people. The typhoon in Burma and the eruption of a Volcanon in Chile that's been extinct/quiet for about 9,000 years. It's quite scary and thought provoking at the same time.

Have a peep here though for some amazing pictures of the volcano erupting

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:12 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I was trying to see the volcano pics Liselle, but I couldn't see them... the URL is messed up... you have two http://'s, so the page doesn't load.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:48 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I'm not quite sure it's the end of the world but all the natural disasters that are again occurring give cause for concern to most people. The typhoon in Burma and the eruption of a Volcanon in Chile that's been extinct/quiet for about 9,000 years. It's quite scary and thought provoking at the same time.
It is scary to think that it came from a vocano that had been extinct for so long. I wonder if they had any warnings or hiccups before it happened. I found some more pictures since the link wouldn't work for me.

Video of the Eruption
Ash and the effects
Fire and Ash

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:53 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Wow, that had to be one scary volcanic eruption. I certainly don't envy anyone who had to go through it... I too wonder if they had any kind of warning about the eruption itself.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives