Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Oscars 2010

Old March 13th, 2010, 7:42 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
How can you make a judgment like that without having seen the film? Precious was quite good. Have you seen it? Up in the Air was OK, but I honestly don't see what everyone was flipping out over - definitely didn't deserve to win a thing in my book.
Yes, I have seen Precious, and I didn't say it was a bad film. On the contrary, I thought it was very good, and a solid script - but, again, not Oscar-worthy, in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2010, 8:06 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Yes, I have seen Precious, and I didn't say it was a bad film. On the contrary, I thought it was very good, and a solid script - but, again, not Oscar-worthy, in my opinion.
I'd be interested to know what you thought was not Oscar-worthy about it or what better adapted screenplays there were out there, since you haven't even seen the one you thought should win.

Old March 13th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what you thought was not Oscar-worthy about it or what better adapted screenplays there were out there, since you haven't even seen the one you thought should win.
Well, I don't necessarily think Up in the Air should have won, I thought it would win; I don't make predictions based on preferences, but on critical reaction(s) and on the award winners up to that point. As for Precious, I found it a bit TOO melodramatic for my taste, and thought it lacked a conclusion - there was some emotional climax, of course, and I don't oppose "ambiguous" endings, but it felt too open-ended to me.

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Second Year

Well I actually thought Avatar was going to win best picture( as many of you I'm sure) but I saw The Hurt locker and it´s very good, I could not believe it was a low budget movie, and Jeremy Renner was awsome

the bad thing was that before watching it , I had investigated the ending so, I already knew how it ended before I saw it bad idea

in general the show was nice, but I liked Hugh Jackman a lot better last year so it wasn´t really that fantastic as the producers want us to think.

Old March 14th, 2010, 3:52 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanepotter View Post
Well I actually thought Avatar was going to win best picture( as many of you I'm sure) but I saw The Hurt locker and it´s very good, I could not believe it was a low budget movie, and Jeremy Renner was awsome

the bad thing was that before watching it , I had investigated the ending so, I already knew how it ended before I saw it bad idea

in general the show was nice, but I liked Hugh Jackman a lot better last year so it wasn´t really that fantastic as the producers want us to think.
I made a beet on Avatar not winning late last year, and my brother thought I'd lost my mind. But my bet came through. It's a fact; the only science fiction/fantasy film ever to win Best Picture was Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It just does not happen. If it's a choice between a real life, honestly-happpening film like The Hurt Locker, or Avatar, which was brilliant but not so much on a par with a bomb disposal squad, which is a realistic interpretation of the present international situation, there was no way a fantasy film would beat that.

And though I'm sure The Hurt Locker is a great film (In fact I honestly look foward to seeing it!), it irks me that fantasy work is never rewarded. Might just be me being moany though!!

THE DUCK.

Old March 14th, 2010, 3:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanepotter View Post
the bad thing was that before watching it , I had investigated the ending so, I already knew how it ended before I saw it ... bad idea
Just knowing the ending isn't really enough to prepare you for the stark contrast you are forced to experience. I found it gut-wrenching and I doubt that would have changed even if I knew the ending beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Well, I don't necessarily think Up in the Air should have won, I thought it would win; I don't make predictions based on preferences, but on critical reaction(s) and on the award winners up to that point.
Ah, sorry, that makes sense I guess, but the Oscars really surprise everyone, and not always for the better.

Old March 14th, 2010, 4:05 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Ah, sorry, that makes sense I guess, but the Oscars really surprise everyone, and not always for the better.
Like the fact that every nomination for Best Film was given time over the whole evening, and then at the end Tom Hanks just came out with the winner, his general manner being that which I usually tell people my birthday? All that pomp and ceremony, and then he just finishes the show with a five second speech about Casablanca! I'm not sure whether I liked or loathed it, but it did surprise me!!

THE DUCK.

Old March 14th, 2010, 4:09 am

Haha, at that point, I'm glad he just came out and said it. The show was already running quite long. XD

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives