Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Nobel Peace Prize: Barack Obama

Old October 9th, 2009, 9:18 pm
Genius Loci

Nobel Peace Prize: Barack Obama

The Nobel committee has awarded Barack Obama the nobel prize for peace. Doesn't really require much more of an explanation than that.

However, some questions have come to pass as a result of the award, a number of which are listed below. However before all that:

This thread is a testbed for any future plans to change the DoIMC. So how the warnings work:

Users with prior history: Up to 90 day ban
Users with no prior warning history: Up to 7 day ban. (max 90 days thereafter)

Most on this forum have had long enough awareness of the moderation system. Like it, loathe it. It's here. So how you choose to engage others depends largely on how much you care about being banned. Those I deem to be uninterested in such rules will be removed altogether or for far longer than the ban times listed above.

Questions

1. Do you support this award? Explain reasons for or against.

2. Can a person who is actively engaged in a war win an award for peace?

3. The closing date for nominations of the Nobel Peace prize is February 1. What has Obama done to earn this award in that time?

4. Do you believe that this award is less about what Obama has achieved and what he could achieve?

5. Does this award give Obama more diplomatic clout with the likes of Iran, North Korea, Israel & Palestine?

6. Compared to the achievements of previous award winners, does Obama match up?

7. Do you believe this award will help improve the image of the US to the wider world, where perhaps its reputation wasn't as good in the previous administration?

This is NOT the Obama Admin thread. It is not for health care debating. It is specifically for Obama's nobel prize discussion.

Thank you

Old October 9th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Second Year

Re: Nobel Peace Prize: Barack Obama

I'm really confused by this. I agree Obama is a great guy, and this is very nice for him, but what has he done to win a Peace Prize so far.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old October 9th, 2009, 9:39 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I think it was a cool thing and great to acknowledge people for their work towards peace. But, it's really lost value when they decided to give it to Obama. It's not because I don't like Obama, it's because he hasn't made any strides towards peace now or in January before he was nominated. I don't see any of our most recent presidents could deserve so much as a nomination. That includes presidents I like. What peace did Obama bring or work towards in that one month? You can't give an award for someone's potential unless that's the basis for the award. That is not the basis for the Peace Prize. If they want to change the meaning it diminishes the award.

Sure. It's about past actions. If past actions show that the person is really engaged in peace and making great strides there then they could deserve the award even if they are actively engaged in war.

3. The closing date for nominations of the Nobel Peace prize is February 1. What has Obama done to earn this award in that time?
Nothing.

4. Do you believe that this award is less about what Obama has achieved and what he could achieve?
Well, maybe, but it's not the Nobel Potential Peace Prize so they really shouldn't be awarding him for what they think he could do. If they think that way they could just give to whomever they feel like instead of people who truly deserve it.

5. Does this award give Obama more diplomatic clout with the likes of Iran, North Korea, Israel & Palestine?
I don't think so. I don't think it changes their mind that all of a sudden he has this award. They'll look at what he's done and see in their minds if he deserves it or not. Just because someone/some people decided to give him an award doesn't mean they will agree that he's worthy. Those leaders who hate him are going to hate him anyway.

6. Compared to the achievements of previous award winners, does Obama match up?Nope. He is no Nelson Mandela. I think this is a joke. He was nominated in February. What had he done by then? Won an election. OK, so does every president deserve a Peace Prize because they won an election? Or it is because he was the first (1/2) black to win the election? So, we'll give Peace prizes to George Washington (first president) and then the first president born on US soil...

Well, it does put him in the same category as Jimmy Carter and Al Gore (he does work on global warming, but what does global warming have to do with peace?)

7. Do you believe this award will help improve the image of the US to the wider world, where perhaps its reputation wasn't as good in the previous administration?
No.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; October 9th, 2009 at 9:53 pm.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:29 pm
Curse Breaker

I think the President has made peace a priority in his Administration and the award is perhaps signifies a hope that he'll be able to negotiate peace where others have failed in the past. The President does appear to have the support and trust of the leaders of nations which have been at war or under siege for longer than I can count. That in an of itself is huge and could serve to finally bring a lasting peace.

Apparently so, because he just did! I'm not sure it's appropriate to say that The President is actively engaged in a war. The armed services of the country he serves are actively engaged in other nations, but his motivations (the Presidents) on those fronts appear to be to figure out how to establish a lasting peace not domination.

Absolutely. The President, because he appears to have the trust of countries which have been at war for many many years, may be able to broker peace because the parties involved won't believe that he is against them.

I'm not so sure the award itself will give him any more clout than he already has. I think the award was in recognition of the clout he has. I am hopeful that he'll be able to chart a path to peace.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:12 pm
Sixth Year

I'm quite against it. Mother Teresa spent 40 years taking care of the poorest in Calcuta; Lech Walesa with Solidarity helped to re-establish democracy in Polnad; Martin Luther King fought for civil liberties... Obama is cool and everybody loves him, but his merit is having won the elections, spent some months at the White House and given some moving speeches. He's done nothing deserving the Prize yet; he's had no time. True, he has beautiful ideas, but I thought the Prize was for people who did things, not thoughtthings (which I think is quite much easier). Besides, let's suppose he finally manages to achieve his goals. What will they give him then, if he's been already given him the (supposedly) highest Prize existing? Even if he deserves it, it's ill-timed.

Well, there's that adage, si vis pacem, para bellum (if you wish for peace, prepare for war). The thing with peace is that it doesn't always mean happiness and freedom. Had WWII not taken Place, Europe would surely have been quite peaciful under the II Reich, but here in Spain we call that kind of peace "the peace of the graveyard"... Wars are horrible, devastating, but sometimes unavoidable. I don't think, for instance, that Churchill liked war specially, but it was necessary to preserve his country free.

Iran and North Korea are dictatorships that I don't think care too much for what some Swedish academics say. Maybe Israel and Palestine are more receptive, though I think they value more that people try to understand the real sitaution instead of appearing with an aura of "look, I've won the Nobel Prize, follow my prized advice"

I don't know about the image of the US, but at least Obama didn't need the Nobel to have a good image in Europe. Three quarters of the European politicians are in love (politically speaking) with him...

Old October 9th, 2009, 11:12 pm
Renegade

I do. I can share that everyone associated with the Obama White House was blown away when the calls came around 5:00 AM this morning. No one expected it. None of us knew the President had even been nominated. Bob Gibbs, the White House Press Secretary, got the call and woke the President to share the news. I'm told Gibbs got dead silence on the other end of the line and asked "Sir? You there, sir?" Then the President dead-panned: "Is it April Fool's Day?"

The rest of us got word shortly thereafter. As you might expect, they were scrambling to pull things together for his statement this morning.

I assume by "do you support this award," you're referring to awarding it to Barack Obama as opposed to supporting the Nobels in general. The answer is yes to either option. The Peace Prize has often been given for aspirational reasons in the past, and for the winner's potential achievements in the future as much as his or her actual achievements from the past. The Peace Prize is decidedly different from the other Nobel prizes like literature, economics or medicine, in that it is expressly political in nature.

I don't see why not. Yassar Arafat, Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres shared a Nobel Prize in 1994, I think.

The Nobel committee specifically said that it was the body of his work over the past year that won them over. From their statement:

OsloThe Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

I think that says it all. I have side-by-side copies, one the original and the other an English translation, already framed and on a wall near my desk.

I think it's both. You'd expect it to come later in his presidency, tied to some particular event or accomplishment. But, as Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo puts it: "the unmistakable message of the award is one of the consequences of a period in which the most powerful country in the world, the 'hyper-power' as the French have it, became the focus of destabilization and in real if limited ways, lawlessness. A harsh judgment, yes. But a dark period. And Obama has begun, if fitfully and very imperfectly to many of his supporters, to steer the ship of state in a different direction. If that seems like a meager accomplishment to many of the usual Washington types it's a profound reflection of their own enablement of the Bush era and how compromised they are by it, how much they perpetuated the belief that it was 'normal history' rather than dark aberration."

I didn't post that to score points against political opponents, but because it's so close to my own feelings on this award, on our President and his agenda, and on the hope of a better future for my country and her people.

I don't think so. Lawless regimes don't have much respect for awards of this nature. Unless of course they were to win it - at which point it would be a good thing, something to use as a cudgel over their perceived enemies. I've aleady seen some press coverage to that effect.

My mind and heart are focused on only one former winner, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He and President Obama are kind of connected umbilically through so many points in American history. Without Dr. King, it's tough to envision an Obama presidency. The fact that both won Nobels just adds to the richness of their historic connection. For all its political salience, awarding the Nobel to Obama is also a ratification of Dr. King, and of the decision the Nobel committee made 45 years ago.

Oh yes! I think that's already happened. I was looking at an international survey conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media recently and was delighted to find the United States back in the #1 spot based on six categories: Exports, Governance, Culture, People, Tourism and Immigration/Investment. We were 7th last year behind Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan and Italy.

This poll involved surveying 20,000 people in 20 different countries. "What's really remarkable is that in all my years studying national reputation, I have never seen any country experience such a dramatic change in its standing as we see for the United States in 2009," explains Simon Anholt, the founder of the Nation Brands Index, which measures the global image of 50 countries.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.

Last edited by purplehawk; October 9th, 2009 at 11:32 pm.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:21 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Besides, let's suppose he finally manages to achieve his goals. What will they give him then, if he's been already given him the (supposedly) highest Prize existing? Even if he deserves it, it's ill-timed.
You make a great point there. If he does reach his potential, strive toward peace, how do they reward him for that? This is why you don't give awards for things that haven't happened yet.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:26 pm
Secret Keeper

Its not that i don't like Obama, i definitely support him but i don't think he's had the time to really make such an incredible impact to deserve the noble peace prize. I don't doubt that he will have an impact, or that he hasn't already done a good job with creating peace, but it's a bit too early.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 9th, 2009, 11:59 pm
Winning Teamster

Questions

Mine is a mixed response. I do think that Obama is a very inspiring person - I think that many Americans might not recognise just what an impact he has had abroad. I have read American commentary and often it's put down to 'mere celebrity', but I don't think that this is a sufficient explanation. Mere celebrity doesn't have the same effect. The prize might amplify that effect, if it needs amplifying.

And the noises that have been coming out of the US administration lately have been astonishingly encouraging, at least that's what it looks like from many places outside the US. So, in a way, that's a qualified yes.

However, I don't think the timing is right. I don't think they did Obama any favours domestically, and whatever he is planning, if the debate in the US gets any more polarised, that's not going to work for anyone anywhere. I think that this might make it only worse.

On current record, and with Obama's approval ratings in the world, we can be certain that he would have been on the nominations list year after year (unless something very bad happened)....
Thus, if they wanted to give it to him, I wish they could have waited to see whether any of his plans come to fruition - I very much hope so, of course, but we don't know. A prize based on some very tangible specific achievement would have been better, IMHO.

Yes, I think so.
It depends how the war started and with what intention it is conducted.

As it happens, I was against going into Iraq (and badly undecided but on balance for Afghanistan), but once the alliances were in and in control (that was before Obama was even a candidate), I have always been against pulling out before leaving at least some chance for a stabile country. So I think that when the troops are staying in Afghanistan now, they are working for peace, even if it isn't by peaceful means - at the moment, IMHO, pulling out would lead to a much greater chance of a very scary set of conflicts, quite possibly pulling in and destabilising at least one nuclear power (Pakistan).

I wouldn't give anyone a prize for that, but I think it isn't a factor that speaks against giving the peace prize for other reasons.

I have seen this question asked quite a bit today - I do think that the nomination looks a bit rash. It was clear even then that the US would deal with foreign countries in a very different manner, a manner which many people (at least outside the US) consider a better way towards peace than what had come before. Still - I do think that it was quite clear that he would be around for a bit, and that one would have time to watch him a but longer. I don't see why he had to be mominated a few days into his term of office, even IF his election was an inspiring event round the world.

However, the actual decision to award the prize is a little less rash (though IMHO they could have worked out that they could wait and see for a bit longer) .... the decision was clearly be made on the basis of what has happened since he took office. And there are quite a few things which were crucial.
  • calling for a halt to torture and promising to close Guantanamo (yes, it isn't closed yet, but they have made great efforts, and the delay is clearly due to the extremely tricky circumstances). Going back to an absolute no to torture is crucial - whatever arguments might be brought in this debate, the world at large things the US engaged in torture, and this impression has really been very bad indeed. Like a kind of licence for other countries. Going back to absolute denial was crucial for the world at large.
  • agreeing to talk to Iran. The no-talk policy wasn't a good idea, IMHO. I think on principle that it is never a good idea to refuse to negotiate, so personally, I was relieved about this. Here, too, the circumstances (rigged elections in Iran) have made things a LOT harder - but it seems quite clear that Obama's stance and presence was at least one inspiring factor for the Iranian protests.
  • Agreeing to move on climate change - the more positive noises from China and elsewhere in recent weeks were made possible by this. The old stance of the US meant that many other parties just couldn't swallow their pride and move first. There is still a long way to go, but the fact that the deadlock seems to be loosened is quite something. Without those positive noises from the US the summit in December would already be dead. As it is, there is still hope. The US change in policy and rhetoric on this was crucial.
  • working on rapprochement with Russia, and making progress.
  • working on Middle East Peace: this has obviously not gone very far, but the approach has again changed considerably, and I like particularly the 'we talk to all parties' approach. I think it's the only way of going about this. - the Cairo speech was (for me anything) one of the most impressive statements of US foreign policy I have ever heard. That alone wasn't worth a prize, but it certainly changed the mood of millions.
  • open commitment to non-proliferation and reduction of nuclear weapons, and actual efforts to work towards that

Disclaimer: this list is solely based on my impression, and off the top of my head. In each case some people would probably want to mention how these plans haven't worked well - but the impact even of what has been done so far has been considerable, IMHO.

Once one tries to put the list together, one sees it's quite a lot - and that on top of an economic crisois and various things to do in the US.

As I have said before, I would have wanted to watch developoments longer, but it is an impressive list of significant changes in direction which have affected the whole world and many of the most complex conflicts in the world.

Yes. It seems that this was one of the things Nobel suggested his prize should be for when he endowed them. I am still not sure it's the best way of using this high-profile award, but it seems to be within the remit.

I wonder whether it was awarded to put more pressure on Obama to keep on struggling in all his aims. There is so much on his plate, I at least always wonder when domestic politics will simply take over. This prize certainly underlines the world's expectations.....

Unlikely. Not with the governments. Whether the peace prize gives him any form of clout that he doesn't have as an US president with his international standiong is difficult to tell - it may have an impact on public opinion in various places round the world, which could be helpful - who knows?

I think he would, on current record, not match up to many of the shining lights on that list. Obviously. But there are some people on there who really shouldn't have got the prize, IMHO. Funnily enough they were often politicians whose record was a lot less than kosher and who got the prize for being a bit better, for a short while, than their past record, and blocking peace a little bit less. Arafat comes to mind, and perhaps deClerk (sp?) and Kissinger.

Obama has a positive record, rather than a 'a little less rnegative for a little while' type record. Arguably, even what he has set in motion by now is quite an achievement - not all initiatives which got prizes were all that successful in the long run, or took a lot longer to resolve than was hoped at the time. If even one or two of the initiatives he has set in motion come to fruition, they could. on their own, stand beside many of the achievements that have been awarded before. And there are quite a few, as per my list above.

One also has to say - Obama is a very inspiring figure, and in that respect he does stand alongside some of the greats. Again, some people might call it empty celebrity - but whatever one might call it, lots of people around the world (and in the US, too, surely) have been given hope and got a sense of picking up their lives and doing something. And that's similar to the world-wide impact of some of the really big names on the list.

Yes, to an extent. In a way, the prize will please many who agree (and out in the world that's LOTS of people!!!). But in the end, it is Obama himself who already improved the ratings of the US considerably. What the world thinks and feels about the US is very different from what it thought and felt just a year ago.

I almost wonder whether the Nobel people were trying to catch a slice of his international approval ratings.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; October 10th, 2009 at 12:18 am.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:59 pm
Sixth Year

No, the man has done nothing to deserve the award. I know it's gone to some pretty poor winners in the past, but please: star quality is hardly a determiner for a peace prize. He might be inspirational in speech, but so far I have seen no action, and even then, the old mantra of meddling in affairs not his own is still going strong e.g. practically inviting Turkey into the EU.

Oh absolutely.

Not a lot.

Yeah, I mean I'm actually developing a cure for cancer and the common cold right now and I'd love to get the Chemistry prize for it now, in view of the potential benefits it could have.

Maybe, to be honest nations like Iran will probably move in their own way whatever. Re: Israel, Arafat won the peace prize over a decade ago and that has done little.

Like I said there have been some dubious winners.

Nope we prefer action to gestures and words.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:27 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
I support the award. His speeches tend to be non-aggressive and constructive, certainly in comparison to the previous president, so the right signals are being sent for the interests of world peace.

Quote:
Yes, because Obama inherited those wars, especially Iraq. Afghanistan has broader international support. Obama strikes me as a man who is trying to figure out how to get out of the wars in a constructive way that won't lead to greater problems down the line.

Quote:
His Berlin speech made waves around the world. It was positive and encouraging. It was exactly the kind of thing a presidential candidate needed to say to repair eight years of a tarnished international image.

Quote:
Probably yes.

Quote:
Probably. Iran and North Korea are paper tigers anyway and pose little serious threat. Israel and Palestine will never be solved unless both sides see reason, which is unlikely regardless of how many Nobel Laureates are working on the situation.

Quote:
He already has the moral high ground over past winner Henry Kissinger, then again...who doesn't?

Quote:
The image of the US improved when Obama was elected. Oddly, Obama seems to be most reviled among groups inside the United States rather than internationally.

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:58 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I think it was a cool thing and great to acknowledge people for their work towards peace. But, it's really lost value when they decided to give it to Obama. It's not because I don't like Obama, it's because he hasn't made any strides towards peace now or in January before he was nominated. I don't see any of our most recent presidents could deserve so much as a nomination. That includes presidents I like. What peace did Obama bring or work towards in that one month? You can't give an award for someone's potential unless that's the basis for the award. That is not the basis for the Peace Prize. If they want to change the meaning it diminishes the award.
Actually that is kind of how the award has worked lately (and plenty of people felt it was diminished beyond the point of repair when Al Gore won it). But I do disagree that he hasn't made any strides toward peace: One could argue that his whole foreign policy philosophy is much more likely to foster peace than any the U.S. has had lately. The point remains, however, that he hasn't executed his philosophy yet, so I'm not sure why he in particular was the unanimous choice of the committee. If I were him I simply wouldn't accept the award.

ETA

Now that I'm reading the original provisions for the award, it actually seems quite fitting for what our President has done and intends to do.

The Will of Alfred Nobel...and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

http://nobelprize.org/alfred_nobel/w...estamente.html

Last edited by canismajoris; October 10th, 2009 at 1:09 am.
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:04 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
Actually that is kind of how the award has worked lately (and plenty of people felt it was diminished beyond the point of repair when Al Gore won it). But I do disagree that he hasn't made any strides toward peace: One could argue that his whole foreign policy philosophy is much more likely to foster peace than any the U.S. has had lately.
But, you're saying that it "is much more likely to foster peace", but it hasn't, yet. It hasn't done anything towards peace. I could be wrong, but I don't think it has, except for Europeans liking Obama. They don't like the US any better. There hasn't been enough time, imo, to see if Obama will make strides toward peace.
Quote:
The point remains, however, that he hasn't executed his philosophy yet, so I'm not sure why he in particular was the unanimous choice of the committee. If I were him I simply wouldn't accept the award.
Right. That's why I don't like this. I didn't like Al Gore recieving the award, but the difference there was for something rather than for potential.

Old October 10th, 2009, 1:05 am
Seventh Year

I don't believe that President Obama has done anything that would earn him the Nobel Peace Prize. I think the award should have been given to a far more worthy candidate. Who? I don't know, but there must be someone in this world who has done more for peace than President Obama. They should have awarded it to one of them instead.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:25 am
She Who Walks Behind

As much as I like the man, I quite don't understand what he did to deserve it. He was president for only a couple of months and even before. You hardly heard anything about him going out and trying to create a better world. A better USA yes, but for the world?

I am sorry but IMO I'd rather have seen a man like Bill Clinton or Tony Blair get it (if it has to be a political leader or ex). As they go out to the world and do something.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:35 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

I'll bump this to a new post for clarity's sake:

The Will of Alfred Nobel...and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

http://nobelprize.org/alfred_nobel/w...estamente.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
As much as I like the man, I quite don't understand what he did to deserve it. He was president for only a couple of months and even before. You hardly heard anything about him going out and trying to create a better world. A better USA yes, but for the world?

I am sorry but IMO I'd rather have seen a man like Bill Clinton or Tony Blair get it (if it has to be a political leader or ex). As they go out to the world and do something.
When you read Alfred Nobel's original intent, it's clear that a leader who favors multilateral diplomacy, supports the United Nations, and has spoken out against nuclear proliferation is certainly just the kind of person the award was created to honor. The work he's done has simply been to keep an open mind to these things, which, when you're the president of the U.S., counts for a great deal across the whole world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
I don't believe that President Obama has done anything that would earn him the Nobel Peace Prize. I think the award should have been given to a far more worthy candidate. Who? I don't know, but there must be someone in this world who has done more for peace than President Obama. They should have awarded it to one of them instead.

-Tibbetts
Care to give any examples? Personally I have read a list of suspected nominees, and I think there were some who should have gotten the award, but your "Not Obama Just Because" doesn't really persuade me that he shouldn't have received it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
But, you're saying that it "is much more likely to foster peace", but it hasn't, yet. It hasn't done anything towards peace. I could be wrong, but I don't think it has, except for Europeans liking Obama. They don't like the US any better. There hasn't been enough time, imo, to see if Obama will make strides toward peace.

Right. That's why I don't like this. I didn't like Al Gore recieving the award, but the difference there was for something rather than for potential.
As I explained above, the Obama administration has already done a great many things that promote peaceful cooperation between the nations of the world. Whether they will result in peace or not is something we can only really hope for, but setting the right tone is significant in and of itself.

Old October 10th, 2009, 1:53 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
When you read Alfred Nobel's original intent, it's clear that a leader who favors multilateral diplomacy, supports the United Nations, and has spoken out against nuclear proliferation is certainly just the kind of person the award was created to honor. The work he's done has simply been to keep an open mind to these things, which, when you're the president of the U.S., counts for a great deal across the whole world.
Obama is not the only one who is in favour of this. There are many leaders who do it and still they didn't win it or are even close.

Could it be that they gave it to them in expectancy that he, as the leader of the "greatest nation", will do more for the world. Now he has to do something to show that he deserves the prize. He certainly didn't ask for it, but this is putting him in a difficult situation.

IMO should be a prize given to people who did big and definite things in the past and not for what they might do in future.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:55 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

What has Obama done? Please give me some examples, canismajoris. Again, the award is not about potential. If that's what its become then it really means nothing and we could give the ward to Joe Schmoe every year. He gets the award for setting the right tone? What tone is that? You don't get an award for setting the tone (unless it's the tone-setters award).

Old October 10th, 2009, 1:56 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post

I'm quite against it. Mother Teresa spent 40 years taking care of the poorest in Calcuta; Lech Walesa with Solidarity helped to re-establish democracy in Polnad; Martin Luther King fought for civil liberties... Obama is cool and everybody loves him, but his merit is having won the elections, spent some months at the White House and given some moving speeches. He's done nothing deserving the Prize yet; he's had no time. True, he has beautiful ideas, but I thought the Prize was for people who did things, not thoughtthings (which I think is quite much easier). Besides, let's suppose he finally manages to achieve his goals. What will they give him then, if he's been already given him the (supposedly) highest Prize existing? Even if he deserves it, it's ill-timed.

Well, there's that adage, si vis pacem, para bellum (if you wish for peace, prepare for war). The thing with peace is that it doesn't always mean happiness and freedom. Had WWII not taken Place, Europe would surely have been quite peaciful under the II Reich, but here in Spain we call that kind of peace "the peace of the graveyard"... Wars are horrible, devastating, but sometimes unavoidable. I don't think, for instance, that Churchill liked war specially, but it was necessary to preserve his country free.

Iran and North Korea are dictatorships that I don't think care too much for what some Swedish academics say. Maybe Israel and Palestine are more receptive, though I think they value more that people try to understand the real sitaution instead of appearing with an aura of "look, I've won the Nobel Prize, follow my prized advice"

I don't know about the image of the US, but at least Obama didn't need the Nobel to have a good image in Europe. Three quarters of the European politicians are in love (politically speaking) with him...
This is a wonderful post. I couldn't agree more. My biggest concern is that the European leaders are "in love" with President Obama because they percieve him as weak and pliable.

My first reaction when I heard the announcement was that, if you go around apologizing for the US and wearing sackcloth and ashes for all of our past "sins" you can win the Nobel Peace Prize. I offer Jimmy Carter and President Obaba as examples. What did they do to join the company of Mother Theresa, Lech Walesa, Martin Mandella, Martin Luther King? In my opinion, Jimmy Carter should have been given the Peace Prize the same year as Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin. He did work hard to bring about their meeting. Instead, they waited until he started traveling around trashing President Bush and the US, and then made their choice to award him the Peace Prize.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old October 10th, 2009, 2:00 am
She Who Walks Behind

Ok, here the official reason (from bbc.co.uk)

The committee said he won for efforts to boost diplomacy and co-operation.
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said in a statement.
"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

It is true that almost every nation is in favour of him and sees him as the best thing that could have happen to the USA and the world. But still my comment above stands. They could have waited a few more years and then see if he came up to their expectations and then give him the award for the things he did in the past.

The End of the Dream.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives