Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Poll: Obama's job performance at one year

View Poll Results: What grade would you give Obama?
A 2 3.92%
A- 2 3.92%
B+ 7 13.73%
B 17 33.33%
B- 8 15.69%
C+ 2 3.92%
C 6 11.76%
C- 3 5.88%
D 2 3.92%
F 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Poll: Obama's job performance at one year

Limited time thread!

Anyways, simple question: What do you think of Obama's performance as the end of year one approaches?. Obama gave himself a "solid B+", but you don't have to.

In order to make this work, I'm making it a non-debate thread. Post your thoughts, post new thoughts, but don't make this the typical back-and-forth partisan affair that has made every previous version not work.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Last edited by Chris; January 2nd, 2010 at 4:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2010, 4:39 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Poll: Obama's job performance at one year

I think Obama's reasons and mine are totally different. LOL

I thought about giving him a c or c+ since I agree with almost none of his policies. From stimulus, to copenhagen, to the wars, to healthcare, GITMo etc etc. The list goes on. I agree with none of it.

However I thought it prudent to noet that it is indeed his first year. Perhaps year two will prove me wrong.

Secondly I also kind of like his way of letting Congree and Senate account for themselves. In this way he will not so much be the lightning rod for bad policy and further makes both houses accountable to their constituents instead of him, which, honestly is the way it should be. I believe that had the President been more "behind" the Dems in the healthcare debate, for instance, the bill would have passed long ago. But the fact that he wasn't directing every minute detail indicates to me that he is not always interested in what's right for the democratic party but what is right for the people of the country.

So for that alone he rates a b-. If I am proven right within the next few years as his policy actually forms he will fall dramatically maybe a step above Bush. If I am proven wrong, than I'll eat my words (but still maybe drop him to a c just out of spite LOL)

Old January 2nd, 2010, 8:38 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I gave Obama a D. In some places that's a passing grade (above 50). Anyway...

He cares too much about appearance and less about getting things done. He travels the world bowing to other leaders. He gives out insulting gifts. He apologizes for America when America does not need apologizing. Basically, he makes us look weak. He cares more about making people like him. The way he's going about it is not in the country's best interest.

He did acquire a nation falling into a recession. But, he hasn't done anything that will get us out. He's done more to put us further in it. He signs off on a stimulus package that hasn't stimulated anything except the national debt.

When our economy is falling, he decides to focus on health care. Health care needs to be looked at and worked on, but it's not the most important issue at the moment. That would be our economy and our national debt. Is "fixing" health care going to fix the economy?

The big things he's done while in office is sign off on the stimulus package, travel around the world apologizing for America, the Copenhagen Climate Change Summit, Sotomayer in Supreme Court, and bid for Chicago to get the Olympics. Oh, yeah, and get a dog for his girls.

I really get the impression he wants to go down in the history books as being this historical president. He will definitely, but you don't do things just to be historical. You do the things because they're important and need to be done. Some things I don't think need to be done at the moment.

I shouldn't grade him on his family, but they act more like figureheads than someoone in a position of power. They're wrapped up in the celebrity-ism, the spotlight, and all that. The First Lady is a real position. It's not smile and look pretty for the camera. The issue she's taken on she acts like she's the first person to ever think about soldiers and their families, like everyone else is just treating it like it's a big joke. It makes me wonder if that's what she thinks America is, just one big joke.

Why did I give him a D and not an F? I think he should be focusing more on Iraq than Afghanistan, but I am glad he is focusing on one of those countries. He's sending more troops, I believe, and he isn't going to just arbitrarily pull the troops out of either country. He doesn't want to listen to the head of the military, who he appointed himself I believe, but he does seem to care about what's going on over and protecting our people in this issue.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

You forgot to have an 'E' grade in the poll, Chris . It goes from a 'D' grade to an 'F' grade...

But on a more serious note -- I give Obama a grade of 'B-' so far. So far, it's been more of a talk kind of agenda, and rather short on the action side of things. I'll have to see from there in order to get a better picture.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:34 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I'd give a C grade.

He's doing the best job that the American people will permit him to do.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:56 pm
Winning Teamster

I gave him a B.

Things I am impressed with:
  • Finally, someone who understands 'soft power' abroad, namely the fact that negotiating and listening is more likely to get results than posturing and aggression.
  • Recognising change and starting to react to it. Yes, Obama promised change - but change he might affect is less important than *seeing* changes that were already happening and realising that the US has to be ready to react. I am always amazed how indifferent a lot of US political discourse still seems to be to various such issues.... e.g.
    • - demographical change in the US (WASP no longer in the majority, white soon no longer in the majority)
    • - economic change in the world - China, India, Brazil as new potential powers (dialogue more necessary than military posturing),
    • - environmental change,
    • - global resources (linked to world population growth)
    • - increasing number of issues that need world solutions for problems that even a large state like the US can't control on its own, not even effects within its own borders (e.g. global warming, terrorism)
  • A return to accepting scientific evidence over dogmatic belief (particularly political dogmatic views, although religion has to be inclued here as well). The return of enlightenment values to the White House is truly a relief to me.
  • Managing the economic crisis. Yes, I do believe that the economic crisis he inherited really could have become a full-blown depression, and that the stimulus made a difference. The US seems to be recovering, and faster than I at least thought it might.
  • Not my business as a non-American, but tackling health care was courageous and (as far as I can tell) sorely needed. Kudos for trying. The reaction on both sides shows to me that it was a) necessary and b) politically extremely risky. It isn't the action of a 'typical politician' to stake his whole political legacy and his presidency on such a risky issue simply because he believes it is the right thing to do.
  • Sotomayor on the bench.
  • Real efforts to restore the awfully damaged reputation of the US by trying to close Guantanamo.
  • I approve of his decision about Afghanistan. I think Afghanistan needs to become a stable country.
  • The right noises on various issues - global warming, Israel, Palestine, Iran, Pakistan, etc. (but see below)

Now, why the B?
  • Serious mistakes (IMHO) in handling Israel. If you set ultimatums (e.g. on settlements) you can't just back off if the ultimatums aren't accepted (no matter what the ultimatum is - if you set one, stick by it). Israel is an independent country and can do what it likes - but if it wants to do what it likes it might consider doing so without US subsidies. I'd like to see a President pointing that out one day, since Israel isn't only taking US money, its actions are also endangering US interests in the Middle East. IMHO.
  • I am not convinced that the policy in Iraq will work. Iraq needs to become a stable country. Will this work? I hope so, but I am not convinced. I appreciate, though, that the US can't afford the cost if it also wants to sort out Afghanistan (which is at least as important, if not more).
  • Some errors in handling the health care debate. I like the fact that Obama backed off and let Congress and Senate show how dysfunctional they really are. But after it was clear that bipartisanship was not going to be acceptable to the other side, they should have changed tactics more quickly. Some issues there were totally mishandled - especially letting the conservatives completely hijack the public agenda: their voice needs to be heard, but it was shocking how the debate hardly had a voice for those who actually like the change, and that is a considerable proportion of the electorate which may or may not be in the majoity (depending which poll you believe).
  • Apparently almost complete paralysis in other areas of policy while the health care debate was unfolding. IMHO, this did considerable damage to the Copenhagen agenda in particular.
  • Following from the last point - more good words than actions on the international stage. In particular, we need a stronger line on Pakistan (not necessarily more military posturing, but a very clear position).

All in all, I have to say that a lot has been achieved of a very big and very ambitious agenda in a first year of a presidential term that must rank as one of the more difficult ones. Yes, Bush had 9/11, which must make his first year pretty much the worst in a very long time - but having an economic crisis of this magnitude develop just before the election essentially meant that much of Obama's agenda was almost doomed from the start, which makes almost anything he got done so far (at least internally) pretty impressive.

The jury is out for this presidency - but I am still confident that this has the potential of being a good, perhaps even great presidency - at least from an outsider's point of view.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; January 3rd, 2010 at 7:39 am.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 7:02 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Indifferent.

He had the goodwill and the mandate to enact change but opted for a hands-off approach which was always doomed to fail. Not that I expected much different as he was part of the system and wasn't going to change that which gave him power.

I agree with Klio on Israel. Obama blinked and totally lost credibility which he desperately needed to regain after his united Jerusalem gaffe at AIPAC. When you draw a line you have to stand by it especially as Netanyahu has been a long-time opponent of the two-state solution.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:29 pm
Renegade

I gave him a B+. I'm still disappointed he has chosen to protect Bush and Cheney from prosecution for what are clearly extra-legal activities. The President deserves credit for ending the torture going forward. I just wish he hadn't chosen to keep quiet about the torture of the immediate past.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.

Last edited by purplehawk; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:42 pm.
Old January 6th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Elephant

I gave the President a "C". He seems to have come to some realities in his first year in office and that has tempered his rhetoric and attitudes. He has stepped into some piles, but has reacted appropriately to other issues, IMO. The key is that he hasn't commited a negligent act of great consequence or made any catastophic mistakes. He equally hasn't actually dome anything of great positive consequence of major impact. Both of these are byproducts of not having done anything very drastic at all, which I am not too distressed over. The grade that really matters is in 3-7 years. I think he can earn a few "C"'s and still get a much higher final grade. The nature of his job lends itself to that.

Of course if he gives himself a "B+" I am somewhat heartened. Let's face it, if he thinks he has had "B+" impact in real terms, he might stay minimal in his impact and that is usually a good thing for a President, IMO.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:20 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
I'd give a C grade.

He's doing the best job that the American people will permit him to do.

I'm in agreement with this, and pretty much why I also would give him a "C". At least he is trying, though. Can't deny that.

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I gave him a B.

There are definitely some disappointments, but I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that there are a lot of issues that are difficult to fix. There's only so much that one president can do.

I think he's made some mistakes in regards to foreign relations, but I also think he's been trying.

I'm very glad that he's come down on Gitmo, and that he's focusing on health care.

Old January 7th, 2010, 3:36 am
Second Year

B+....he didn't follow through with all of his promises, especially regards to gay rights and the such.

These are the things I'm pleased about:
Quote:
* Finally, someone who understands 'soft power' abroad, namely the fact that negotiating and listening is more likely to get results than posturing and aggression.
* Recognising change and starting to react to it. Yes, Obama promised change - but change he might affect is less important than *seeing* changes that were already happening and realising that the US has to be ready to react. I am always amazed how indifferent a lot of US political discourse still seems to be to various such issues.... e.g.
o - demographical change in the US (WASP no longer in the majority, white soon no longer in the majority)
o - economic change in the world - China, India, Brazil as new potential powers (dialogue more necessary than military posturing),
o - environmental change,
o - global resources (linked to world population growth)
o - increasing number of issues that need world solutions for problems that even a large state like the US can't control on its own, not even effects within its own borders (e.g. global warming, terrorism)
* A return to accepting scientific evidence over dogmatic belief (particularly political dogmatic views, although religion has to be inclued here as well). The return of enlightenment values to the White House is truly a relief to me.
* Managing the economic crisis. Yes, I do believe that the economic crisis he inherited really could have become a full-blown depression, and that the stimulus made a difference. The US seems to be recovering, and faster than I at least thought it might.
* Not my business as a non-American, but tackling health care was courageous and (as far as I can tell) sorely needed. Kudos for trying. The reaction on both sides shows to me that it was a) necessary and b) politically extremely risky. It isn't the action of a 'typical politician' to stake his whole political legacy and his presidency on such a risky issue simply because he believes it is the right thing to do.
* Sotomayor on the bench.
* Real efforts to restore the awfully damaged reputation of the US by trying to close Guantanamo.
* I approve of his decision about Afghanistan. I think Afghanistan needs to become a stable country.
* The right noises on various issues - global warming, Israel, Palestine, Iran, Pakistan, etc. (but see below)
I'm proud he's working rather well with relations out side of his own country and its working out problems left to him by his previous governments. (Wars, GFC, et cetera)

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:33 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

C-

The Presidency is not a job where you want someone to have OTJT (On The Job Training), and Obama has been learning that a lot of those things he campaigned on are not possible or in the best interests of the country...for example Transparency of Government. Nice idea, but far more MUST be done behind closed doors.

Also, I am unthrilled with his foreign policy thus far. The recent attempted bombing of that flight is unsettling, and, what's more, it happened on his watch. Napolitano is a poor choice for Homeland Security Secretary. Her background is not in safety or National Security. Granted, the position is an administrative one, but so is that of a 4-Star General in the Army, but you wouldn't put a person, whose career has been that of president of Wal-Mart, in charge of battlefield operations in Afghanistan, would you?

I am not saying that a President of the United States should know absolutely everything, but should surround oneself with enough people who collectively do, and I disagree that Mr. Obama has done so.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:33 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
The Presidency is not a job where you want someone to have OTJT (On The Job Training),
Technically, anyone who becomes President will have "OTJT" because it's new to said person. Unless he's already served a term, then I could see that applying. In other words, no matter who gets into office, they will be getting some "OTJT" because said candidate has no prior experience running an entire country.

Old January 8th, 2010, 6:17 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Technically, anyone who becomes President will have "OTJT" because it's new to said person. Unless he's already served a term, then I could see that applying. In other words, no matter who gets into office, they will be getting some "OTJT" because said candidate has no prior experience running an entire country.
Objection, Your Honor! Argumentative!

By OTJT I am referring to being in charge of something. Obama's experience does not include running or being in charge of anything. It is far different to represent a district or constituency than to run a company, a city, a state, or hold a high administrative Cabinet position. Obama has no managment experience; and that inexperience has been demonstrated in his selection of subordinates, his errant foreign policies and decisions that are making us weaker in the world.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:01 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Obama has no managment experience; and that inexperience has been demonstrated in his selection of subordinates, his errant foreign policies and decisions that are making us weaker in the world.
Please substantiate this... any of it, really.

Old January 8th, 2010, 2:10 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Objection, Your Honor! Argumentative!
Not really. I just pointed out a technicality that I've been pointing out since before Obama even stepped foot into office. Even before he was elected and people were going on about the "no experience" or "not enough experience" thing for both Palin and Obama, and how McCain had "lots of experience". My argument was still the same, and I even lumped McCain into it. No one has held the office before, so how can said person have experience for a position that one had never had or much of a direct connection to or with? The only one who fit that category was Hilary Clinton.
Quote:
By OTJT I am referring to being in charge of something.
IMO, being in charge of anything is nothing compared to an entire country. One could be in charge of a town, but, imo, isn't comparable to the entirety of a country, which is why I feel that regardless, there will be some "OTJT" because the job is new to the person who gets into office. You can't have experience doing something that you've never done before. Technically, most anyone who steps into office is a newbie.
Quote:
Obama's experience does not include running or being in charge of anything. It is far different to represent a district or constituency than to run a company, a city, a state, or hold a high administrative Cabinet position. Obama has no managment experience; and that inexperience has been demonstrated in his selection of subordinates, his errant foreign policies and decisions that are making us weaker in the world.
I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about this in detail, but in what way has Obama made us look weaker in the world? If anything, he's attempting to strengthen our bonds internationally by showing other countries {allies} respect and such, which is always a good thing, imo.

Old January 8th, 2010, 2:33 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about this in detail, but in what way has Obama made us look weaker in the world? If anything, he's attempting to strengthen our bonds internationally by showing other countries {allies} respect and such, which is always a good thing, imo.
We're not supposed to be debating in this thread, so I'll restrict my comment to simply stating that there are many in the US who believe that the President has made us not just look weaker, but actually weaker.

Further commentary will have to have it's own thread.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old January 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Queen of Apathy

This is a non debate thread. I will delete any comments I see that are not following the rules. If it continues I will also issue warnings and forum bans.

Your choice.

Old January 10th, 2010, 2:13 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I gave him a "B". I would have liked to have given him a higher score, but I think he could have been more involved with the health care legislation. Even though I think that management of the legislation's progress was run by Rahm Emanuel, the buck does stop at Obama's desk. I don't think he ever gave more than lip service to the public option, and that disappoints me. I also haven't liked the way his administration (Geithner and Summers, in particular) have handled the financial crisis, with too much emphasis on large financial institutions at the expense of small banks and the jobless. Frankly, the way they have addressed the problem is too much like a Republican solution. And some of Obama's ideas like green industries and jobs are nice, but not exactly practical or effective in the near term to address the bigger jobless problem. Again, the buck stops at Obama's desk.

He's done better with foreign policy. And he is truly trying to fulfill his campaign promises (both domestic and foreign), which is impressive for any politician. Also, I continue to be impressed with how adult (for lack of a better word) he is about facing problems--whether it is the recent security screw-up or his Afghanistan policy.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives