Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Texas Education Standards: One-Week Thread

Old March 23rd, 2010, 8:18 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Texas Education Standards: One-Week Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post

I also wonder, too, why people think that the best way of ensuring faith is by eliminating all access to things that contradict that faith.

What's the value of faith if you haven't ever come across any alternatives, and therefore don't actually have a choice? And I agree - if childre grow up in a household with a strong faith then being exposed to other views will only make their faith stronger.
I don't know what you all are trying to get at here. My question is what about the absense of faith when it was there in the beginning? Like they're erasing faith from history.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2010, 9:13 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I don't know what you all are trying to get at here. My question is what about the absense of faith when it was there in the beginning? Like they're erasing faith from history.
That's actually a good question. When the soldiers were fighting during the Revolution, they believed that God was on their side - that they were doing God's work. Faith, and the right to freely exercise it, was one of the primary reasons people came and still come to this country. Removing that, or sanitizing it so that children don't understand how unique and powerful that concept was, means we fail to teach our children history.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:20 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Except it's not unique to the US and I dare say if you did a poll of migrants that wouldn't be the primary motivator.

But where US history does sanitise the issue of faith is when discussing the Puritans were only interested in freedom of religion when it applied to them.

"The Puritans wanted everyone to worship in the Puritan way. In order to ensure that Puritanism dominated the colonies, nonconformists were fined, banished, whipped, and even imprisoned for not conforming to the way of the Puritans. "

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work...3/religion.htm

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 24th, 2010, 1:52 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

New one-week thread is up. This one will be closed shortly.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives