Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Global Nuclear Summit - One Week Thread

Old April 13th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Genius Loci

Global Nuclear Summit - One Week Thread

The Global Nuclear Summit is underway. World leaders are gathered in Washington DC to talk about making the world a safer place from Nuclear Weapons and presumably those rogue states & individuals seeking to acquire the technology for their own agendas.

This is a one-week thread, so expect it to close at more or less this time, a week from now. So here are a few questions to get you all underway

1. What do you believe the main aims of this summit should be?

2. Do you believe this summit can reach a consensus on nuclear proliferation?

3. How should the gathered leaders handle the question of Israel's nuclear weapons status?

4. Can/should an agreement about Iran, North Korea & terrorist groups be reached at this summit?

5. If successful, should more of these summits occur at regular intervals to keep track of agreements and shine the spotlight on those not playing ball?

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Global Nuclear Summit - One Week Thread

Making commitments to move towards a considerable reduction and eventually a nuclear weapon free world, which is an impossible dream imo, but the intention is good.

Well it's good that Russia and the US have agreed to bring their nuclear weaponry down. But I am not sure what China wants and there is of course Israel.

3. How should the gathered leaders handle the question of Israel's nuclear weapons status?

No idea really, I think Israel is never to give their nuclear arsenal up, not when we still don't know Iran's intentions.

4. Can/should an agreement about Iran, North Korea & terrorist groups be reached at this summit?

Hope so. It's a good step by the Ukraine that they have the intention to start clearing up their nuclear waste, because it's apparently a security risk with possible sales to terrorist organisations.

I wonder what people think about the Dutch PM's suggestion to open a UN nuclear tribunal (possibly in The Hague) where countries and organisations dealing in nuclear weaponry and material to create them can be prosectuted. It raised eyebrows in the Dutch parliament since it was not announced before and most think it's not needed because there is already the International Criminal Court

5. If successful, should more of these summits occur at regular intervals to keep track of agreements and shine the spotlight on those not playing ball?[/b][/quote]

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 14th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Curse Breaker

I would hope that the goal would to have a world free from the threat of chemical, biological, or radiological weapons of any kind. Not sure that's the actual goal, but that's what I'd like it to be.

No, not with Iran, North Korea, and China moving so purposefully towards becoming nuclear strongholds.

Israel has a right to defend itself, in my opinion. It sits surrounded by nations which have attacked it in the past and openly threaten to attack it every day.

Israel has never acknowledged that it has nuclear weapons, though it is largely assumed that it does and that assumption serves to deter nations from openly moving against Israel.

I'm not sure how the other nations of the world can ask Israel, in good conscience, to give up the one item they are assumed to have which has prevented it from being attacked.

Can - No. Should - Yes. Terrorist organizations and countries should not be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons (in my opinion).

5. If successful, should more of these summits occur at regular intervals to keep track of agreements and shine the spotlight on those not playing ball?

I'm not sure a summit of leaders is an effective means of shining the light on those not complying. Trust, but verify required extensive intelligence and monitoring of Soviet (and US) nuclear activities. Any agreements reached must have effective, verifiable methods of verification.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old April 14th, 2010, 3:14 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Israel has a right to defend itself, in my opinion. It sits surrounded by nations which have attacked it in the past and openly threaten to attack it every day.
So does Iran.

The whole bugaboo about terrorists picking up stray nukes has been in circulation since, forever, and especially so since 1989. That they stayed more or less secure when some of the countries which held them were literally coming apart at the seams says a lot for the existing protcols.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 14th, 2010, 9:52 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
So does Iran.
Allowing Iran, a known supplier and sponsor of terrorism, to get a nuclear weapon is a very stupid decision, in my opinion.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Reduction of arsenals

Quote:
Probably not

Quote:
Irrelevant really since the general consensus is that they have them.

Quote:
The agreement should be that North Korea and Iran have every right to have nuclear weapons of their own, but I doubt that will be the result.

As for terrorists, it's a red herring. If nations keep their arsenals secure, there won't be a problem.

Quote:
Yes.

Old April 15th, 2010, 1:24 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Allowing Iran, a known supplier and sponsor of terrorism, to get a nuclear weapon is a very stupid decision, in my opinion.
If countries with a track record of sponsoring terrorism were banned from possessing nukes all of the current members of the club would have to hand over their arms.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 16th, 2010, 1:13 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Less nuclear weapons...

Quote:
Not sure on that one, there are a lot of factors to consider there... like Iran and North Korea for instance. So we'll be lucky to get a start on things with this... which is better than nothing.

Quote:
Not a very relevant question... like AldeberanBlack said. They already have them. So now they have to figure out how to handle the situation there.

Quote:
That would be nice to see. It should be... but I doubt one can be reached... like I said before, there are a lot of factors to consider there.

Quote:

Yes. There's no harm in doing them every so often.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives