Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination



 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old March 1st, 2006, 3:41 am
Lynn Tyger  Female.gif Lynn Tyger is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5095 days
Location: Texas
Posts: 54
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

In some ways.

I've noticed that, normally (not always), men are more blunt/straightforward with their opinion, and will often tell a person their opinion to their face. They also seem to get over offenses easier. Again, these are just my observations.

Also, girls seem to worry more about everything from popularity to well, everything. They also tend to read a bit more into things, which is sometimes good, and sometimes...not.


2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?

Both, but moreso nurture. I don't think we'd have so many stereotypes if folks weren't expected to be a certain way.

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?

Yes. Who hasn't?

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?

Sometimes. For example, guys sometimes think that all of us want to be princesses, and not only as kids. There also seems to be some rule that girls can't eat much in public, which unfortunately for me seems to be re-inforced by my own gender.

Most of the us/them situations for me have been in joking around, though. I actually feel as if I get more serious flack from my own gender than anyone else.

For example, I don't wear make-up. Girls respond to these by "What!?! I couldn't live without it!" Guys? They don't care, and sometimes even applaud me for it.

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender? Well, it's no exactly fundamental, but...

Guys are dense seems to be one. However, I've observed that most guys don't WANT to be considered smart, or at least don't parade having brains. Honestly, most guys I know act stupid as a joke.

But something I do want to ask is if a guys do want to be perceived as being really smart, or do they want/like being smart, but just don't want a big deal made about it?

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?

Yes. As mentioned earlier, the make-up thing. I like anime, and around here, girls consider it a "guy" thing, and so do many guys, although at least guys seem to think it's cool for a girl to be into anime, video games, and other "guy" things (after they get over the shock). Girls don't think that way.

And then there's the fact that I don't care about fashion (okay, I do a little, but only as much as pretty t-shirts and nice, matching outfits for church once a week) and I don't base my opinions of musicians/actors/etcetera solely on looks and consider it ridiculous to do so. And really, I don't care if so-in-so cheated on fillintheblank with
what's-her-face. Yes, gossip might be mildly interesting, and maybe even funny, but it's not something to revolve ypur life around.

Yeah...I guess I'm not making girls look to good, am I? Sorry, I don't mean to make stereotypes worse, but i can get fed up with all the drama that comes with being a girl sometimes and it makes me seriously glad to be homeschooled.

Luckily, most girls have come to realize I am who I am and guys can accept me. Still, sometimes problems arise and I feel like screaming.


Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old March 1st, 2006, 4:02 am
kjty2k  Undisclosed.gif kjty2k is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4831 days
Location: In a dream somewhere....
Posts: 273
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?
Yes. Women, generally speaking, care about their feelings and are very emotional, while men try to hide there emotions, and they care about feelings, but will only let a few select people see them. There are exceptions of course.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
BOTH! My nephew is as boy as it is possible for a little boy to be, and my nieces are as girly as it is possible for little girls to be....but I love watching my nephew and nieces play with each other. It cracks me up to see my 8 (well almost) year old nephew play dolls with his 5 and 2 year old sisters. But then it's funny to watch them play with cars and "boys" toys too.

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?
Yeah. I've heard comments "you're just a girl and can't do anything" and stuff along those lines. Yeah, I'm young, but when it comes from adults.....

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?
Yeah! Guys, try hard as you might, will never understand us, not completely. You might understand a specific girl, to an extent, but as a whole...guys and girls are totally different. That is NOT to say that we aren't capable of completeing the same task, we just approach them differently. In class the other day, my guy friend (yes just a friend) asked me what we should get our friend for her birthday....he was like "Im gonna get her soap!" and I had to look at him funny and that's when he replied "Don't your kind like soap?" and I was like "you mean girls?" and he said "yeah...your kind" It was just kinda funny because he thought just because she's a girl she would like soap, and I know that she probably wouldn't.....

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?


6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?
I've never felt limited being a woman. My dad always told me that I can do whatever I want, and I know that I can do what I want to do in life. If people want to discriminate because I'm a woman, I'll fight them for it!


__________________
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young."

Albus Dumbledore, Order of the Pheonix




Random Fact: When the Dursleys and Harry were fleeing from "the Letters From No One" they ate stale cornflakes and cold tinned tomatoes on toast for breakfast.
I share a birthday with Molly Weasley!

Last edited by kjty2k; March 1st, 2006 at 4:04 am.
  #23  
Old March 1st, 2006, 5:07 am
cgold's Avatar
cgold  Female.gif cgold is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4861 days
Location: Here
Posts: 2,283
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

I believe that the biological differences are the reason for the inherent differences. Every single thing a person does in their life affects how they behave. The very way we differ when we use the toilet, women having periods, every single thing that women have to do differently from men bring about inherent differences so I think it all leads back to our biological differences. Women have the children so in essence it has lead to a different sort of socialization. I don't think there are any other differences. I honestly believe it's all biological.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
I think definitely a combination of both. Most things are.

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?
Yes, I have been. I have been sexually harassed at work and the biggest problem is you can tell that they don't even know what they're doing. I also find that I have to work much harder than the guys in my office in my opinion in order to get promoted. I'm not a very "manly" or "rough" woman. I notice that this has given the impression that I cannot be a manager and I have to try harder so they look ridiculous promoting others over me. I resent having to work so hard at times but I find the work challenging and I guess I can always appreciate that I've earned my position whenever I get it.

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people? Oh definitely. It's mainly because you can never quite walk in the other sex's shoe. Many people have said I have the attitude of a man and what they mean is my dispassionate nature when it comes to relationships. I'm usually the one calling it off and I'm usually the one who has to be fending off phone calls I no longer wish to hear. But that one thing doesn't give me an insight into the mindset of men at all. Their whole attitude and mindset and the way they treat each other and women are just mind boggling at times. I know for sure that no man I've ever known, including my father has ever understood me. Not many women have either so it could just be me.

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender? Er, did you know my face is up here? I'll try to think of something else later but sometimes they are very annoying when they do that. Some people may appreciate it, but I want to be taken a little more seriously sometimes.

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?I do not have children and I do not want to get married at this point in time. I want to have a career first and I have no intention of actually marrying unless it just happens. My parents have expressed a desire for children and the women in my family who have children and are married are very lovingly looked upon and positively judged because of this.

Cheers


  #24  
Old March 1st, 2006, 5:34 am
Spirit's Avatar
Spirit  Female.gif Spirit is online now
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,449
1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?
No, not really. There are some cultures where the roles of men and women are vice versa from another's. In most cultures, men are more aggressive and women are more nurturing, but it's opposite sometimes.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
Probably a bit of both, but I think it's mostly learned, so mostly I think it's nurture.

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?
I feel judged by my gender usually every day, but it's nothing bad or anything. I mean, no one has ever said "you're an idiot because you're a girl" or anything negative like that.

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?
Yeah, genders misunderstand each other at times. But I haven't been involved in any us vers. them stuff since elementary school.

5) Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?
I hate it when guys hold the door open and wait for you to go first. It's so annoying. I can do it myself. Not all girls like it. And not all girls are obsessed with their appearance and weight either.

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?
Well, like a lot of people have already said, I sometimes feel like I'm pressured to wear a lot of make-up and just act plain girly. But that's really all. I don't think about it that much.


__________________
"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
  #25  
Old March 1st, 2006, 8:57 am
junika3's Avatar
junika3  Female.gif junika3 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4803 days
Location: India
Posts: 1,932
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

There SEEM to be a lot more female nurses than men. Women are generally considered to have that whole nurturing instinct or something.


__________________
Oh, but I could be wrong.
  #26  
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:20 pm
katsumi's Avatar
katsumi  Female.gif katsumi is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5116 days
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,974
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

There are a number of theories on why some jobs tend to be predominantly male while others tend to be predominantly female.
For example: there are a number of jobs that are employed, generally, by women rather than men. Secretaries, teachers, nurses, flight attendants, retail sales persons, etc.
Male jobs tend to be higher end: lawyers, engineers, doctors.
Of course, women are breaking into these fields in greater numbers every year. But the interesting thing to note is that women tend to enroll in courses/programs that would steer them toward the teacher/secretary/nurse jobs, whereas men tend to enroll in programs that would lead to the higher paying jobs.
There are some theories on why this is, though nothing particularly concrete.


__________________

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
  #27  
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:25 pm
hermione4  Female.gif hermione4 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4660 days
Location: Incredible India
Posts: 319
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Did someone realise this?? Almost all the posts in this thread are by women!!!

Sterotyping does exist everywhere and as a result may a times it causes bad results. Say this girl at a very young age is sterotyped that she cannot play since she is a girl and has to always sit at home even though she is interested in sports, she will eventually think that all girls MUST not play and so her interest will die down.

As a girl I think I have always loved being one. About the 'drippy' serials, I prefer the reality shows to these things. I also love cricket and playing outdoors!!! I prefer wearing pants to slawaars(Indian dress).On the other hand, I also love dressing to go out, making my hair in various ways.

But where I live, many of the girls themselves dont want to come out of the small 'shell' that they have made for themselves and believe that as a girl they cannot progress in the field where men dominate.


  #28  
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:40 pm
junika3's Avatar
junika3  Female.gif junika3 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4803 days
Location: India
Posts: 1,932
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione4
But where I live, many of the girls themselves dont want to come out of the small 'shell' that they have made for themselves and believe that as a girl they cannot progress in the field where men dominate.
Yeah, I know what you mean, hermione4. I guess most gender stereotypes things you pick up. You know everyone thinks so, does so, so you think so, do so. I don't think its something YOU do, its what EVERYONE does.


__________________
Oh, but I could be wrong.
  #29  
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:57 pm
Kendra's Avatar
Kendra  Female.gif Kendra is offline
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat
 
Joined: 5741 days
Location: UK
Age: 31
Posts: 2,138
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHP_001
I disagree, it would bruise their egos too much. I don't see it increasing, do you have any evidence that it is?
Actually, yes I do here, from an American University by the looks of it

Quote:
It is known today through surveys that still 30% of men and 25% of women say that going to work and providing for the family is the father’s responsibility.(Gardyn, Rebecca pg.1) However, regular household actives such as bathing children and cooking are still viewed as a woman’s job. Despite the fact that some feel a homemaker is primarily a women’s job a variety of men have began to accept this position.

In March 2002, a telephone poll of 1,031 adults was done and a majority of the people surveyed agreed that mothers and fathers should equally share the roles around the house. Of the people surveyed 86% felt that bathing and changing the children’s diapers should be a shared chore. Along with that 82% felt they were equally responsible for taking care of children when they are sick and 95% felt that both parents should spend quality time with their children and play with them.(Gardyn, Rebecca pg.1) This helps to show that indeed times are changing and the role of housewife is becoming a 50/50 task.

Overall in society the terms housewife and househusband are slowly growing into one. Eventually when a man states that he works at home it will just be shrugged off as no big deal and when a women is the main financial support it will be thought of as same old same old.
So, it proves my point. More men are happy to stay at home and become a househusband. Just because you don't share that view, doesn't mean it isn't increasingly more common in today's society.


__________________
Pottermore: Gryffindor!
Wand: Cedar with Phoenix feather core, 11 3/4 inches, unbending

Last edited by Kendra; March 1st, 2006 at 1:00 pm.
  #30  
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:58 pm
pemidato's Avatar
pemidato  Male.gif pemidato is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4689 days
Posts: 1,091
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione4
Did someone realise this?? Almost all the posts in this thread are by women!!!
I might be guilty of gender stereotyping myself if I believed in this, but I just thought I'd put this idea out there anyway. Could it be that women care more about gender stereotyping (without the inclusion of the discrimination that comes with it) than men?


__________________





"I'm so pacifistic..."


  #31  
Old March 1st, 2006, 1:02 pm
junika3's Avatar
junika3  Female.gif junika3 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4803 days
Location: India
Posts: 1,932
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Yeah, I think so too, pemidato. I mean, why else would most of the people who post be women? I mean, even in the Womens Rights thread, it was women who posted the most about this when we went off-topic there.

I think women are more concerned about "perfect" relationships than men.


__________________
Oh, but I could be wrong.
  #32  
Old March 1st, 2006, 1:35 pm
cgold's Avatar
cgold  Female.gif cgold is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4861 days
Location: Here
Posts: 2,283
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi
There are a number of theories on why some jobs tend to be predominantly male while others tend to be predominantly female.
For example: there are a number of jobs that are employed, generally, by women rather than men. Secretaries, teachers, nurses, flight attendants, retail sales persons, etc.
In my opinion, women started working very late in our evolution. It was always the man working and the woman staying at home with the children. Do you realize that it was just last century and I'm talking the 1900's here that women were allowed to vote? I can't believe we were discriminated against for so long for no good reason except men tried to define our roles and they had instituted rules and regulations that gave them the control. In the beginning when women were trying to forge their way in the work place and I guess they chose jobs or jobs were created for them that didn't infringe upon "the real work" or to men, seemed like extensions of their roles as women. However, slowly but surely women went on to achieve and accomplish more than was expected and many barriers have been broken down as more and more women break through the glass ceiling every single day. We're having more and more female leaders and heads of companies and countries nowadays. Sure it's still dominated by men but in my opinion, heads of things have been dominated by men for centuries so it's probably going to take centuries to turn it around but I've seen the start and it's very positive and I'm sure we'll get there eventually. In my workplace and in business in general, to me it seems as if the women are smarter and stronger, however, they are kept back by gender roles which have been defined for them and by themselves because unfortunately there is sometimes a lot of spitefulness and backbiting against other women in business.

Quote:
Male jobs tend to be higher end: lawyers, engineers, doctors.
Of course, women are breaking into these fields in greater numbers every year.
I think that women are beginning to break into those fields in huge numbers every year and I'm sure eventually society will evolve and men and women are equally likely to have the same type of jobs. However, there are certain jobs because men are more physically capable of doing that I don't think women will ever dominate.

Quote:
But the interesting thing to note is that women tend to enroll in courses/programs that would steer them toward the teacher/secretary/nurse jobs, whereas men tend to enroll in programs that would lead to the higher paying jobs.
There are some theories on why this is, though nothing particularly concrete.
I think it's because of the way society has steered them. Women are taught to be the nurturers and caregivers both because physically, we are the childbearers and mentally because of centuries of socialization. We are given dolls to play with where we take care of babies and keep the house. Nothing wrong with any of this because I loooooved playing with dolls as a child. I'm just saying that women have been brought up to want those jobs especially those of teachers and nurses where they can be caregivers as they were as children. If those jobs paid the huge amount that the predominantly male jobs did, I assure you that a lot of the women because of their socialization would jump up for them because it's something they have been predisposed to desire.

Cheers


  #33  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 5:54 am
Spirit's Avatar
Spirit  Female.gif Spirit is online now
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by junika3
Yeah, I think so too, pemidato. I mean, why else would most of the people who post be women?
Well, there are more women in these forums than there are men, so you have to keep that in mind too.


__________________
"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
  #34  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 8:48 am
junika3's Avatar
junika3  Female.gif junika3 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4803 days
Location: India
Posts: 1,932
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit
Well, there are more women in these forums than there are men, so you have to keep that in mind too.
There are?


__________________
Oh, but I could be wrong.
  #35  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 9:43 pm
Jezzer350  Male.gif Jezzer350 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4625 days
Location: Sam's Town (Bristol, UK)
Age: 27
Posts: 243
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Stereotypes- My friend called Rob, is Rob. He has an Emo fringe wheres black, and a little make up not OTT, you may find that wierd but he is the safest, funniest kid I know! He like Fall Out Boy and PANIC! at the disco. Wherever we go in school he is called, Goth, Gitter (which no one should even say anymore it's sooooo old!) and Emo. He replies no. So they ask what he is and he just says "I'm Rob."

They all think that they're hard and he just tells them to "**** Off" and they do. So why even start if they are going to run away seconds later? He had a piece of bread chucked at him yesterday butter side up, and it hit him on the face! He doesn't deserve that treatment. He doesn't fall in any stereotypical group and nor do the ones who think they are hard, when they are just idiots.


__________________
Sam's Town
  #36  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 4:40 am
Spirit's Avatar
Spirit  Female.gif Spirit is online now
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by junika3
There are?
I'm pretty sure there are, yes. I don't think we have any actual count on how many girls there are and how many boys there are, but if you pay attention to how many girls post in threads vs. how many boys post in threads, there are almost always more posts by girls. Usually there are more girls in forums for some reason.


__________________
"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
  #37  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 4:54 am
snape1101  Female.gif snape1101 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4661 days
Location: richmond va
Age: 34
Posts: 1,291
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Something interesting that I've thought about all this...

Homosexuality is beginning to blur all gender lines.

This will seem to be a stupid statement, but...

In our society... well... homosexuality was accepted and sometimes even encouraged, until the dark ages. From then on, it's been very taboo. Until recently, when with modern times it's becoming very accepted, much more so than in the past. Especially with media, "queer eye for the straight guy" etc.

How does this blur the gender stereotypes? Some men have female characteristics now, some women have male characteristics. We have the "metrosexual" revolution. The whole cave-man, Me-Tarzan-You-Jane distinctions are beginning to crumble. We have women in the workplace (god forbid, we may actually be defending you in court or performing surgery on you or even fixing your transmission ) we have stay-at-home dads.

Is this a good thing?

I'm not sure.

By the way, not trying to be offensive to anyone. I'm totally okay with homosexuality. I just think it's interesting, how it blurs these lines between men and women.


__________________
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain



They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Ben Franklin

Can I get a 4....8....15....16....23....42.... for Henry Gale

  #38  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 9:17 am
junika3's Avatar
junika3  Female.gif junika3 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4803 days
Location: India
Posts: 1,932
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit
I don't think we have any actual count on how many girls there are and how many boys there are, but if you pay attention to how many girls post in threads vs. how many boys post in threads, there are almost always more posts by girls. Usually there are more girls in forums for some reason.
Maybe its just that girls post more?

Hey, do you think its true that girls make better prefects?


__________________
Oh, but I could be wrong.
  #39  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:15 pm
Sharky  Female.gif Sharky is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4877 days
Location: UK
Age: 31
Posts: 798
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?
Yes I think so! I don't know how to explain it but I know that I'm female and it's not just to do with how I look biologically! If I still felt exactly the same but had a male's body I would still feel like a female. I think Charl described it as male and female souls which I think is a nice way of putting it! Also, you get people who say they were born in the wrong body. They just know and feel like the opposite gender to what they look like.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
Hmmmm! I think that it is probably both.

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?

Yeah but then I don't know a girl who hasn't! I usually just laugh it off but I hate it when boys don't think I could be good at sports because I'm a girl. That upsets me!

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding. I mean you can't ever gain a full understanding of the opposite gender because you can never experience it. I could dress as a boy and hang out with boys and try and integrate myself into 'male society' but I'd never experience it as they do.

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?
I can't think of any right now! I might later!

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?
I suppose I have felt limited but I tend to ignore the feelings and just do what I want to anyway!



Last edited by Sharky; March 3rd, 2006 at 12:19 pm.
  #40  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:29 pm
katsumi's Avatar
katsumi  Female.gif katsumi is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5116 days
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,974
Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

I have noticed a lot of discrimniation in these posts against women from women... hmmm...

Why is it that so many of us feel the need to reject, in such strong language, things that are typically considered to be female? And why is it that so many of us have assumed that other females are kind of base when compared withourselves?

I am hearing a lot of, "I don't gossip like other girls!" and "I'm not shallow like other girls!" and "I don't care about stupid things like romance and make-up like other girls!"
Do we really have that low of an opinion of women in general that this is what "other women/girls" are all about?

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think.

Here's how I would classify myself as a woman:

I love make-up (including Halloween). I hate shopping. I love shoes. I hate clothes. I love cats. I love dogs. I love to read and I love to watch movies that make me cry. I hate soaps but I love Buffy. I'm honest and forthright (some might call me pushy). I can tend toward gossip if it's about someone I hate--I never gossip about people I love. I am a romantic with definite limits: I like sincerity, not poetry. I like dependability and stability, not grand gestures of romantic intent.
How would I compare myself with other women? I have no idea.


__________________

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 6:38 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.