Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Old March 9th, 2006, 11:54 pm
First Year

Re: M-13 - Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?
Not exactly. I belive that most biological differences can be explained in evolution. Men are stronger and faster usually because they had to fight to protect and gain.
2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
Both.
3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?
Only when it came to sports. A lot of people don't care for girl hockey players.
4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?
Yes, when I ask you for a drink, it doesn'y mean I like you. (If anything it means I'm asking because you're behind the counter.)
5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?
Not really...might have to think on it.
6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?
Girls didn't like me because I hate pink, hate skirts, don't care for makeup, but still got along okay with the guys they were throwing themselves at. (I live in a really trashy place at the moment.) Guys didn't like me anymore then just a casual friend because I didn't throw myself at them. (Fine with me, I'm not into country hicks acting city.)

"This much I had in mind to say, and admonish the prudent, that they spend not their money to no purpose, but that they should know what they are to look for, and so they may attain to the truth and no other way." ~ Pontanus 1659 (epistle on the mineral fire and great elixer/the Philosophers Stone)
ASA, the spoilers stoppers.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2006, 1:21 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasheba
I have to agree. I took shop over home ec, had a penchant for super soakers, climbed trees, and was the only girl in my hunter's ed/gun safety course but I wouldn't consider myself a tomboy. I think in order to be completely considered a tomboy nowadays you would have to conform to the "male stereotype" almost completely.
See that is where I really disagree. Tomboy is all about what you do, it has nothing to do with appearance. Or did you mean something different?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Old March 10th, 2006, 2:17 am
First Year

A few women have said that they feel discriminated against by other women because they're not girly, well I am typically girly, I like make up and clothes and have a whole separate room for my shoes cause i have so many of them and I like to act "girly" and I've had a lot of women come up to me and tell me off for acting like a girl! It makes me really annoyed because I have just as much right to act like a more traditional type girl as they do to act however they want. I'm all for equal rights but men and women are always going to be different and there's nothing wrong with that. And usually the women who go off at me don't even know me, most of them assume i'm just trying to catch a guy so i can get married and not have to work, and that I do the whole girl thing just to get attention. I just realised i've gone off on a little rant but it makes me so mad!

Old March 10th, 2006, 2:34 am
Sixth Year

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

I don't really think so. But it goes back to old roles in society. Men were hunters and women were gatherers. My 8th grade teacher brought this up to our class. He said, "have you ever noticed most males carry their books on the side?" It's because they would hold spears like that to go hunting. Whereas women hold books generally in their arms in front of them, because thats how they would gather, and not to mention hold children. I thought it was pretty interesting.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?
Both. Nature comes in with the whole hunter and gatherer thing. Nurture I think is the idea that you know, females are pink and males blue. It messes up things. For example in Blue's Clues, Blue is actually a girl, and I tend to forget that, since she's blue. I've been conditioned to associate blue with males, even though girls love blue .

Not necessarily, but in my culture, when a women has sons, she gains more prestige than if she has girls. That's not as common today but people still want to have sons to "carry on the family name."

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?

Yes. You know how women say "all men are this and this" and men say "well, you know how women are.."

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?
Do you think men are more into having the stronger, more powerful role, in general. Do they have a "need" to make more money than their wife?

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?
Not really. I don't think I'm old enough to experience it. I'll have to see when I'm in the "Real world"
I don't like that males think they can't look nice or like clothing and stuff. I think pink is a beautiful color on a man and they should all wear it

Old March 10th, 2006, 4:44 am
First Year

Now I've always been more one to believe in nurture rather than nature in most cases. But yes, we are different inherently in some ways.

I'd say nurture in this case. A previous poster said it was a combonation in that some girls who were raised to be girly rebeled and became tomboys. It is not nessicarly there nature to be tomboyish, but there perception. She would have grown up with her parents attempting to make her into a girly person, and after some time she decided she did not want this for herself. That is a learned behavior.

I was definitly treated differently in middle school for my slightly tomboyish behavior, but I would not say I was discriminated against. Of course middle school sucked for a lot of people so I'm sure I'm not in the minority for that.

When I got into highschool it evened out a lot more. Now I get along with both girls and guys, instead of just guys. Guys treat me like a friend and one of the crowd. Girls do the same, just in a different way.

Haha, the other day my friend (a guy) told me "Em, I've learned something in my 19 years. You gender is known for being fickle, jealous, odd and generally unpredictable". I did'nt deny it.

Hm, I dont believe so.

Hm, no to the former, but yes to the latter. I have been treated differently by girls for the way I act, but I tend to surround myself with people who arent like that usually.

Old March 10th, 2006, 5:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenielou
To add to what Jo said, you could consider a tomboy to be a girl who doesn't prefer to do what most girls do - i.e. play with dolls, dance, dress up etc. When I was young I was a perfect mixture of both; I loved to ride my bike, climb trees, go exploring and swimming in the lake, which to most of my friends made me a tomboy. But I was equally happy playing with Barbies and other dolls, which contradicted that.

Being sporty and energetic doesn't necessarily mean that one is a tomboy - you are right about that, mystic_22. But preferring to do these things over all others than normal girls do, that, I think, is what makes one a tomboy.
Well I was exactly like that too.
In a way I still am.
I still love the bike rides, trekking, playing basketball or badminton and swimming or just going hitchhiking.
And I can indulge in the girl talk and the dressing up or setting the hair kind of thing too.
But I still do not get the concept of tomboy..
Its just the way you are.
I mean there are guys who like being well groomed , take care in their dressing and go shop for the perfect clothes..
Why don't people start calling them Marygirls or something...
Actually I just don't get the concept of tomboys..

I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I AM UPTO NO GOOD
To Jo-
For the hours of crying and laughing.
The intense discussions the theorizing.
For the friends we've made and the life lessons learnt
Thank you for everything. It means the world and what lies beyond.
Old March 10th, 2006, 5:50 am
Seventh Year

mystic_22, I know a LOT of marygirls, as you would call them (...good one) but if you call a boy girlish, its considered HORRIBLE, but if you call a girl a tomboy, it isn't. Ah well...

Obviously, 'tomboys' and 'marygirls' or 'sissys' are the result of gender stereotyping.

Old March 10th, 2006, 10:51 am
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_22
I still love the bike rides, trekking, playing basketball or badminton and swimming or just going hitchhiking.
And I can indulge in the girl talk and the dressing up or setting the hair kind of thing too.
But I still do not get the concept of tomboy..
Its just the way you are.
But if you prefer doing the things that most boys do, that makes you a tomboy. If you're happy doing either, then it doesn't.

Tomboy is just a nice way to say a girl who prefers living like a boy in what she does and what she likes. I wouldn't at all say that it is a result of gender stereotyping, because it isn't a stereotype that boys prefer more physical activities involving fights, getting dirty, playing rough games etc. - that's a fact. It's also a fact that girls like playing with dolls more than most boys do.

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Old March 10th, 2006, 1:04 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
But if you prefer doing the things that most boys do, that makes you a tomboy. If you're happy doing either, then it doesn't.

Tomboy is just a nice way to say a girl who prefers living like a boy in what she does and what she likes. I wouldn't at all say that it is a result of gender stereotyping, because it isn't a stereotype that boys prefer more physical activities involving fights, getting dirty, playing rough games etc. - that's a fact. It's also a fact that girls like playing with dolls more than most boys do.
No I don't prefer anything. I like both.
Loved my dolls as well as the bike..
But I think tomboy is stereotype.
Its not about playing rough games.
They call a girl who is very athletic a tom boy.
But she's not.
She just athletic.
She just likes being physically active.
Being physically active is not being a tomboy..

To Jo-
Old March 10th, 2006, 2:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_22
No I don't prefer anything. I like both.
Loved my dolls as well as the bike..
But I think tomboy is stereotype.
Its not about playing rough games.
They call a girl who is very athletic a tom boy.
But she's not.
She just athletic.
She just likes being physically active.
Being physically active is not being a tomboy..
You are right it is just being altletic but that is part of what a tomboy is. It doesn't mean that the tomboy doesn't peel off the layers of dirt and go out on the town.

Tomboy is not a stereotype unless it is used as such. I know I run into a lot of women, strangely never men, who say I can't be a tomboy because I dress nice look pretty and take care to look good, that is stereotyping. Actually that is stereotyping a tomboy more than women in general. It is saying that a tomboy must look butch and that is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade jam
A few women have said that they feel discriminated against by other women because they're not girly, well I am typically girly, I like make up and clothes and have a whole separate room for my shoes cause i have so many of them and I like to act "girly" and I've had a lot of women come up to me and tell me off for acting like a girl! It makes me really annoyed because I have just as much right to act like a more traditional type girl as they do to act however they want. I'm all for equal rights but men and women are always going to be different and there's nothing wrong with that. And usually the women who go off at me don't even know me, most of them assume i'm just trying to catch a guy so i can get married and not have to work, and that I do the whole girl thing just to get attention. I just realised i've gone off on a little rant but it makes me so mad!
I know exactly how you feel, I laugh when guys call me a feminist because they are the ones that hate me. I have been told that my degrading myself (referring to being girly) is hurting women everywhere and I should stop. I have been told that my not working and *gulp* enjoying being a housewife is a step backwards for women’s rights. Here I thought women's rights were about finally making it possible for all women to enjoy the paths they choose and do it with support from others. Silly me. Strangely men are supportive of me, they think it is cool that I do things they wish their wives would try. There are times I am asked to do repair projects with guys I know.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Old March 10th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Seventh Year

I hate to be hard on my own sex, but I find women tend to be the most judgement of other women. We are our own harshest critics.

It just seems that so many women tend to categorize themselves within a group of women in an "us/them" pattern. "Those" girls are girlie and give us all a bad name. "Those" girls like to shop and are silly and shallow--I'm not like that.

Why are we so judgemental? I sometimes even catch myself doing it and I hate that I sometimes do it.
Why are women constantly competing with each other?

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
Old March 10th, 2006, 4:02 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi
I hate to be hard on my own sex, but I find women tend to be the most judgement of other women. We are our own harshest critics.

It just seems that so many women tend to categorize themselves within a group of women in an "us/them" pattern. "Those" girls are girlie and give us all a bad name. "Those" girls like to shop and are silly and shallow--I'm not like that.

Why are we so judgemental? I sometimes even catch myself doing it and I hate that I sometimes do it.
Maybe yes,
But in that sense everyone competes with everyone.
And we critical of everyone.
Men and women alike.
We critisize and generalise men in the same way you have metioned here..
We say things like those guys are cool,or duds, or the alcoholic group,I don't like that gang they are too crude.. etc..
Its the same with all.

To Jo-
Old March 10th, 2006, 5:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi

The worst is when you spent years laughing behind your hands at "those girls" (whatever you didn't used to like) and then later find yourself being one of "those girls". For example, I never used to be into fashion, expensive things, blah blah blah, and always thought the girls who took so much time to look a certain way were nuts or shallow or something. And guess who just started straightening her hair, buying expensive make-up (BTW totally hooked on Bare Escentuals - you have to try it!) and bought (gulp) a pair of fashion cowboy boots. I am becoming what I used to not like - and half the time I feel like it doesn't matter, I can be who I want - and the other half I'm hating myself for it!

Explain that twisted psychology.

Old March 10th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
How is that not stereotyping? Most stereotypes have basis in fact.

Old March 10th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Bard
How is that not stereotyping? Most stereotypes have basis in fact.
I just don't see it a stereotyping because it is true of most young boys and girls. I guess the in-depth definition of 'stereotype' would have to be ascertained to say whether it is or not - if the theory doesn't fit all, but most, then I suppose it is a stereotype, you're right. I just saw it as mainly a fact that most boys prefer active pursuits/computer games and most girls prefer less active pursuits, although the lines are more blurred with boys than with girls. So fair enough, I was wrong

Old March 10th, 2006, 6:57 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I just don't see it a stereotyping because it is true of most young boys and girls. I guess the in-depth definition of 'stereotype' would have to be ascertained to say whether it is or not - if the theory doesn't fit all, but most, then I suppose it is a stereotype, you're right. I just saw it as mainly a fact that most boys prefer active pursuits/computer games and most girls prefer less active pursuits, although the lines are more blurred with boys than with girls. So fair enough, I was wrong
Finally something I can beat you at! Not that this is a competition or anything..

Old March 10th, 2006, 7:01 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Bard
Finally something I can beat you at! Not that this is a competition or anything..

Seriously, I'm beginning to think that the only thing you can say about males/females that isn't a stereotype of some sort is that a person is either male or female

Old March 10th, 2006, 9:41 pm
First Year

Sterotypes haven't changed much over the years, we should just do away with them.

"This much I had in mind to say, and admonish the prudent, that they spend not their money to no purpose, but that they should know what they are to look for, and so they may attain to the truth and no other way." ~ Pontanus 1659 (epistle on the mineral fire and great elixer/the Philosophers Stone)
Old March 10th, 2006, 9:46 pm
First Year

Unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible. As soon as you make any comment about a kind of person or a group of people, there will be an exception - making it a stereotype.

Old March 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm
First Year

Ah yes, how sad and jugdemental the human is.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives