Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.41%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.81%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 29.73%
Mwah... meh... 16 43.24%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 8 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23rd, 2016, 9:33 am
Fifth Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

We finally got to see this two weeks ago and I hate to be this person but this needs to be seen not read. The stagecraft is phenomenal, we are 99.9% sure we know how they did a lot of it but I don't think I could find the words to describe what happened. They need to find a way to get this to more people. Whether that is open in more cities in more countries or film that actual production, not make a movie, but I fear some of the effects would be lost on a screen. They also need to find another way of selling the tickets. This way isn't working, I have now been lucky twice but I've never been so stressed buying tickets. Hopefully Hamilton London is watching and learning!

The story I kinda still have issues with but not as many as when I first read it and the issues I have could probably be very easily addressed if JKR ever decides to talk properly about the plot. There are points when I think it should be renamed 'Albus Potter and the Curse of Middle Child Syndrome' but overall looking at the bigger picture it all comes down to parenting and trying to find your way.

I think they may have toned down the Albus/Scorpius undertone. They still have an awesome friendship but it didn't feel the same as it did on the page.

This may be a rant for a different time and place but the family sat in front of us were the worst audience members I have ever sat behind in my 15 years of theatre going. The father almost had his mobile phone thrown over the balcony by the interval of Part 2!

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2016, 9:25 am
Knower of things

I'm off to see the play in London this weekend, I can't wait!!

Old December 10th, 2016, 10:43 am
Zonko's Employee

You are in for such a treat, Liselle! I've just seen it, with Treacle Tartlet, and we were blown away!

I agree with everything Beth83 says. Things that come across as lame and as bad fanfiction in the script actually work extremely well on stage. All my doubts about the story were blown away by the high quality of this production.

The acting is first class, the music is beautiful, the staging, the lighting, the special effects are all superb. The story has lots of humour, as well as emotional intensity, and there are lots of fun little nods to the fandom. There is something for everyone! - Harry/Ginny fans, Ron/Hermione fans, Draco/Hermione fans (lol), Albus/Scorpius fans, Scorpius/Rose fans, Snape/Lily fans (OH YES), James/Lily fans ... lol. All very well done, and not cheesy in the slightest.

The play also made me very happy as a Snape fan. Oh yes.

Not only is it a wonderful, genuinely magical theatrical experience, the story has great emotional resonance. I guess it's all about people's father issues! Haha. Scorpius's, Albus's, Harry's ... Delphie's. And about trying to make peace with one's past. It's not surprising that middle-aged Harry is having something of a mid-life crisis, and it's not surprising that Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy suffer from the heavy weight of their fathers' pasts, and want to do something about that.

One of the best theatrical experiences of my life. Not just saying that because I'm a Potter fan, but also because I love good theatre, and this really is GOOD theatre.

Absolutely loved it, and would love to see it all over again. I am very blessed to have seen it at all!

I bought Yorkiedoodle's ticket, you see. She'd have been chuffed, I know.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with ill-mannered people in the theatre, Beth83. Towards the end of the show, there was a rather irritating woman next to me who wouldn't stop fidgeting - I'm sure she was blocking the view of those behind me! I can't imagine how anyone could be bored by watching this.

I particularly enjoyed Noma Dumezweni's Hermione (she's splendid, with a beautiful voice), Jamie Parker's Harry and Poppy Miller's Ginny. Anthony Boyle is an utter joy as Scorpius, and Sam Clemmett is very good as young Albus.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; December 10th, 2016 at 10:52 am.
Old December 16th, 2016, 8:58 am
Knower of things

The reviews are in - it was exceptional. And the most important question; would I go see it again? Yes in a heart beat. Except in bigger seats and maybe not the two halves in one day as its very intense, in hindsight I think spreading it out over two days would be a better option but I'm not complaining

As others have said, the story works very very well on the stage, its done beautifully. The stage direction itself is mind boggling and more than once I did find myself wondering if someone had their own wand for the effects. They were just glorious.

I loved Scorpius, he 100% stole the show for me. You know when you just have those utterly klutzy angsty days? He is just brilliant. Albus is a little too tortured soul and the only negative thing i could say about the entire production is I'm not really liking what they downplay Ron and his character and achievements.

Hermione is also brilliant, as is Ginny.

Even thinking about the play nearly a week on is making me smile, it really was worth the wait to see it. I just can't ever see it translating to a movie as well (which is completely fine by the way!)

Old December 16th, 2016, 5:02 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
The reviews are in - it was exceptional. And the most important question; would I go see it again? Yes in a heart beat. Except in bigger seats and maybe not the two halves in one day as its very intense, in hindsight I think spreading it out over two days would be a better option but I'm not complaining
This is what we are doing! I was lucky enough to get a three digit queue number in the last ticket scrum so we are going from almost the back of the balcony to the front of the stalls, not until Jan 2018 though and much to his disgust without our son this time.

I love Poppy Miller's Ginny, I almost want to cheer with glee when she was yelling at Draco. We saw James Le Lacheur as Scorpiois and wouldn't have known he was an understudy. I also really loved Jamie Parker as Harry, he just seemed to get him if you understand what I mean.

I am really hoping they release the score on CD sometime soon I loved it and would have bought it there and then if it had been an option. There are only so many times I can listen to Imogen Heep's First Train Home before I need the real thing! (Although good album I highly recommend it, think it's called Exclips)

Old December 17th, 2016, 10:09 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Well, Pearl has said it all really And I agree is much better on the stage than on paper. I think the stage is the best media for this story. Everything from the staging, set, movement, effects, to the superb acting, make it an exciting and at times emotional, magical theatrical experience.

The relationships between the characters, especially Albus and Scorpius are delightful and often humorous. Also the father son relationships between Harry and Albus, and Draco and Scorpius, two fathers struggling to relate to their sons who are both trying to cope with the legacy of their fathers.

I had arranged to meet one of the actors afterwards who I knew from twitter. So while Pearl and I waited by the stage door we got to meet many of the main actors including Noma Dumezweni (Hermione), who was lovely, Paul Thornley (Ron), Sam Clemment (Albus Severus), and Anthony Boyle (Scorpius) who seemed shy and embarrassed by the attention.

It was also lovely to share the experience with Pearl. It would have felt strange seeing it with someone who didn't know Yorkiedoodle. But she was with us in spirit.

Would I go and see it again? YES!

"he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time they were children." ~ Harry Potter

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope

Old December 24th, 2016, 8:53 pm
Knower of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post

The relationships between the characters, especially Albus and Scorpius are delightful and often humorous. Also the father son relationships between Harry and Albus, and Draco and Scorpius, two fathers struggling to relate to their sons who are both trying to cope with the legacy of their fathers.
Poignant I think, it was weirdly good to see Harry struggle with something - it sounds cruel but I hope you know what I mean. Its just a different take on things. I agree, stage was the best setting for the story and I couldn't envision it until I'd seen it in the flesh

Old March 10th, 2017, 3:54 am
Second Year

Outstanding Achievement in Music

Dreamgirls – Music by Henry Krieger

Harry Potter And The Cursed Child – Composer and Arranger: Imogen Heap

Jesus Christ Superstar – The band and company creating the gig-like rock vibe of the original concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar

School Of Rock The Musical – Three children’s bands who play instruments live every night

Best Theatre Choreographer

Matthew Bourne - The Red Shoes

Peter Darling and Ellen Kane - Groundhog Day

Steven Hoggett - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Drew McOnie - Jesus Christ Superstar

White Light Award for Best Lighting Design

Neil Austin - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Lee Curran - Jesus Christ Superstar

Natasha Katz - The Glass Menagerie

Hugh Vanstone - Groundhog Day

Best Sound Design

Paul Arditti - Amadeus

Adam Cork - Travesties

Gareth Fry - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Nick Lidster - Jesus Christ Superstar

Best Costume Design

Gregg Barnes - Dreamgirls

Hugh Durrant - Cinderella

Rob Howell - Groundhog Day

Katrina Lindsay - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Blue-i Theatre Technology Award for Best Set Design

Bob Crowley - Disney’s Aladdin

Bob Crowley - The Glass Menagerie

Rob Howell - Groundhog Day

Christine Jones - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Anthony Boyle - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Freddie Fox - Travesties

Brian J. Smith - The Glass Menagerie

Rafe Spall - Hedda Gabler

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Melissa Allan, Caroline Deyga, Kirsty Findlay, Karen Fishwick, Kirsty MacLaren, Frances Mayli McCann, Joanne McGuinness and Dawn Sievewright - Our Ladies Of Perpetual Succour

Noma Dumezweni - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Clare Foster - Travesties

Kate O’Flynn - The Glass Menagerie

Best Actor

Ed Harris - Buried Child

Tom Hollander - Travesties

Ian McKellen - No Man’s Land

Jamie Parker - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Best Director

Simon Stone - Yerma

John Tiffany - Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

John Tiffany - The Glass Menagerie

Matthew Warchus - Groundhog Day

Virgin Atlantic Best New Play

Elegy

The Flick

Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

One Night In Miami…

Mastercard Best New Musical

Dreamgirls

The Girls

Groundhog Day

School Of Rock The Musical

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainmen...awards-2345193

Last edited by Pensieve_Seeker; March 10th, 2017 at 4:16 am.
Old March 15th, 2017, 8:09 pm
First Year

do we know when the final edition of the script is going to be released?

Old April 9th, 2017, 5:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVoldemort View Post
do we know when the final edition of the script is going to be released?
Anyone?

Old April 9th, 2017, 10:01 pm
Second Year

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child wins 9 Olivier Awards!

https://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-p...heatre-107181/

Old April 10th, 2017, 7:01 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVoldemort View Post
Anyone?
No, I have no idea. They haven't released any information about it. One theory I've heard was that they're gonna release the final script in connection to the play launch on Broadway but it's just a rumor.

Old April 12th, 2017, 6:50 am
Fourth Year

Update: According to Mugglenet, the release date for the final script will be July 25th. http://www.mugglenet.com/2017/04/pap...d-coming-soon/

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies