Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand

The Next Dark Lord

Old June 15th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Next Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebthegreat View Post
We can have more wars and conflict in the Harry Potter universe without resorting to cycles of "dark lords" constantly rising and threatening everything. Let's get more creative. Let's get more political (or at least, have the opportunity to do so should we so desire).

I present the next threat to the wizarding world:

Harry Wars: Episode 8
Attack of the Squibs

Jonathan Nott was worthless, or at least that's what his parents had told him. He was twelve years old, and hadn't displayed an ounce of magic. "Squib" is what they called him, when they talked to him at all. Mostly, they kept him locked up in the basement, to hide their shame.

But when squibs rise up, lead by a mysterious entity known only as "Medio", the wizarding world is placed into a new age of terror. Squibs, with the right tools, it would seem, can be very dangerous indeed. Society itself seems to be on fire, and Jonathan finds his old life crumbling around him. Adventures await, as he's thrown into a world of magic and danger he had never before thought possible. What choices will Nott find himself faced with, and how will he respond, in this, Europe's Darkest hour?

(Directed by Joss Whedon)
Love the ending bit with Joss Whedon

But really, event without a new "dark lord" per se, there will always be some central figure the story would focus on. Although, I do like the idea of something more political. The area where Voldemort actually succeeded was with the smear campaign against non-magic people; something that Grindelwald did as well to great effect. I wonder if your idea of a squib revolt is all that far off the mark. What would happen if there was a Hufflepuff or squib who made all the same arguments against the secrecy of magic, and like Dumbledore had originally started, did what they did for the "greater good." Grindelwald took it too far, but what would the magical community be like if Dumbledore was the one who lead that charge? Where muggles weren't killed or anything, but were put into their place by those with magical power, for the greater good of the magical community?

There could be real appeal for something like that - not having to be secretive all the time about what they are.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Sixth Year

I think with a few changes and if done correctly, Dumbledore's plan could have made things better for both muggles and wizards. It would certainly help the muggles if they had access to magical help.

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:35 pm
First Year

Harry Potter
and the Horcrux Chronicles

Harry Potter has had enough trouble for a lifetime. Having defeated the Dark Lord Voldemort, he's ready to settle down with the love of his life, and start a family.

But the life of an Auror is rarely trouble-free, and the fallout from the previous war has him working harder than he had ever imagined. It's with this full plate that Harry learns about a dark plot, intended to destroy the wizarding world as he knows it. It would seem Voldemort wasn't the only dark wizard who thought about hiding horcruxes.

(Directed by Michael Bay)

This could be similar to Star Wars expanded universe handled things. Dark Lords from the past, locked up in ancient tombs for thousands of years, suddenly an old war is renewed. We could do it in either Harry's perspective or go into Albus's perspective.

Albus Potter
and the Horcrux Chronicles

Albus Potter always grumbled about having to live up to his dad. He hardly even lived up to his own brother! After graduating from Hogwarts, he joins an expedition, seeking to leave his family behind and make a name for himself.

But this expedition is far more dangerous than he had first expected. Ancient tombs are whispering to him, though nobody else will believe it. As Albus explores the depths, wandering into the darkness, he discovers an ancient evil long forgotten. Can he live up to his family legacy, or will this struggle be too much to handle?

(Directed by Quentin Tarantino)

Or should we make something where Dumbledore turns out to be an even more powerful Dark Lord with horcruxes? Maybe Dumbledore made a horcrux a long time ago, and then he forgot all about it in his old age, and now he's flying around doing something crazy?

"First be good, then be great."
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:11 am
Sixth Year

Lol, there is plenty of potential here.

Someone can stumble upon the Resurrection Stone and use it to bring back some dead dark lord. I don't know why Harry left the Ring in the forest; he should have gone and tossed it in a volcano.

We could have someone bring back Voldemort. The guy is supposed to be stuck in limbo. If anyone could figure a way back, it would be him.

Old June 16th, 2012, 11:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Lol, there is plenty of potential here.

Someone can stumble upon the Resurrection Stone and use it to bring back some dead dark lord. I don't know why Harry left the Ring in the forest; he should have gone and tossed it in a volcano.
That's brilliant!

Random guy: *walking* just minding my own business. Oh, what's this interesting looking rock? It has all these symbols on it. ITS THE RESURRECTION STONE OMG!

Random guy's sister: "Can I borrow that?"

Random guy: "Sure."

Random guy's sister: "Arise oh great and powerful Herpo! Herpo the Foul! Come to me!"

Random guy: "What the **** do you think you're doing!?"

Random guy's sister: "I've always had a bit of a crush."

And that's how the darkness began.

"First be good, then be great."
Old June 16th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I think with a few changes and if done correctly, Dumbledore's plan could have made things better for both muggles and wizards. It would certainly help the muggles if they had access to magical help.
That's certainly the path evil can so easily come from. But I think Hagrid had it right when he said that muggles would be wanting magic solutions for all their problems... Wizards would spend all their time cleaning up after muggle problems; not free to live their own lives.

Old June 16th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Guys remember the Wand is about speculation surrounding the futute of book characters. They are established in canon. Not about your inventions (in print of on the big screen. For fanfic we have an area called Flourish and Blotts.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; June 16th, 2012 at 5:08 pm.
Old July 5th, 2012, 1:23 am
First Year

If Grindelwald is not still alive and able to be freed from prison,then my choice for the next Dark Lord would be Hugo Weasley.If you saw him in the movie DH2,it looked like he was rather a brooding sort going with his parents to see Rose off.Plus I just get that feeling that it has to be on of the "Big Three's"children and Hugo would look like just the sort to turn bad.

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:07 am
Third Year

Since most of the Death Eaters got killed or locked up in Azkaban they wouldn't really be able to rise up and become a Dark Lord. I'm guessing if there ever was another Dark Lord, it would be someone fresh and evil (possible a woman or a government figure).

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:40 am
First Year

Yeah, I can't see any of the Death Eaters becoming the next Dark Lord. Unless perhaps they had a radically different approach and weren't known to be Death Eaters? Because I'm sure by now, the wizarding world is on its guard against things like that.

But I do think if somebody could approach things more like Dumbledore did, where it's all "for the greater good," then...I don't think the wizarding world would have much defense at the moment against that. It all sounds rational, after all. Like--wouldn't it be good not to live in secret? Wouldn't it be good not to have to worry about children being treated like they are insane or being locked up just for displaying magic? Etc. etc. and so on it goes until you realize what's happening...

I'm not sure I could name a specific character who could do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the Golden Trio's children did. They would already partially have a reputation built up just from their parents(s) being who they are, and they could easily trade/build up on that reputation...

Old August 23rd, 2012, 4:50 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthymudblood View Post
If Grindelwald is not still alive and able to be freed from prison,then my choice for the next Dark Lord would be Hugo Weasley.If you saw him in the movie DH2,it looked like he was rather a brooding sort going with his parents to see Rose off.Plus I just get that feeling that it has to be on of the "Big Three's"children and Hugo would look like just the sort to turn bad.
I don't know about one of the trio's kids going bad. We don't really have enough canon to know about their personalities yet, and while I think it would be an interesting twist to the story, I think only 1 generation removed from Harry isn't enough to make that possible. I think there would have been enough stories from daddy/Uncle Harry around the dinner table about what it was like fighting Voldemort, that they would keep on the straight and narrow.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 7:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think Harry's or Ron's klds would turn to the Dark Arts. But, I don't want another Dark Lord either.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 7:53 pm
Sixth Year

There are probably tons of wannabe "Dark Lords" all over the place in HP. It's just that only a couple of them really were worth anyone's time.

What Dark Lord was there before Grindelwald?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 8:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Probably someone with the "Death Stick" or whatver they called the Elder wand. but we don't really know.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm
Third Year

How many years were there between Grindelwald and Voldemort? I imagine that the "next dark lord" wouldn't come around for a few decades, at the least...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old August 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Grindewald was about a year or two younger than Dumbledore. If Grindewald was around 114 or 115 when he was killed by Voldemort, and Voldemort was around his early 70's, then yes, it would be a few generations before the next Dark Lord. of course, we are just guessing by the characters we read about in the books. A new Dark Lord could pop up at anytime.
(Dumbledore wasn't 150 like a lot of people thought).

Old August 23rd, 2012, 9:39 pm
Sixth Year

I think we would want to look at the tragic events that unfolded in the Potter series and see if there were any triggers to breed resentment or hate against muggles, specific "good" people, or even hate against the Dark Lord and the Death Eaters. It would be these kinds of events that someone later would want to take action against, or their children would want to take action against in order to make revenge on their lot in life. Teddy could be an example since Lupin and Tonks were both killed. However, so were Harry's parents, and he turned out to be the ultimate "good" in the series.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 9:54 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I think we would want to look at the tragic events that unfolded in the Potter series and see if there were any triggers to breed resentment or hate against muggles, specific "good" people, or even hate against the Dark Lord and the Death Eaters. It would be these kinds of events that someone later would want to take action against, or their children would want to take action against in order to make revenge on their lot in life. Teddy could be an example since Lupin and Tonks were both killed. However, so were Harry's parents, and he turned out to be the ultimate "good" in the series.
Yeah, I don't really see Teddy as the next Dark Lord because even though his parents are dead he was raised up by Andromeda (who must care for him) and Harry.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
Yeah, I don't really see Teddy as the next Dark Lord because even though his parents are dead he was raised up by Andromeda (who must care for him) and Harry.
In looking at Voldemort and Dumbledore/Grindelwald, we see characters who had something to blame for their lot in life. Voldemort blamed his muggle father, Dumbledore blamed his sister (which resulted from the incident with his sister, some muggles and their father) and Grindelwald's drive was never really revealed, but we can see from his connction to Dumbledore, that it started out innocently enough, but then took a turn that Dumbledore couldn't ignore any longer. Combine those circumstances with an absence of understanding, support and love, and you get some pretty evil outcomes.

In thinking about the characters in the books, you could make an argument for Scorpious, but that depends on the way Draco raises him. If Draco raised his son to resent Harry Potter and the others because it was their fault that Grandpa Malfoy was put in jail, or stripped of his glory/money or whatever. Then it gives focus to Scorpius' lot in life if he's not happy with it.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:20 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
In looking at Voldemort and Dumbledore/Grindelwald, we see characters who had something to blame for their lot in life. Voldemort blamed his muggle father, Dumbledore blamed his sister (which resulted from the incident with his sister, some muggles and their father) and Grindelwald's drive was never really revealed, but we can see from his connction to Dumbledore, that it started out innocently enough, but then took a turn that Dumbledore couldn't ignore any longer. Combine those circumstances with an absence of understanding, support and love, and you get some pretty evil outcomes.

In thinking about the characters in the books, you could make an argument for Scorpious, but that depends on the way Draco raises him. If Draco raised his son to resent Harry Potter and the others because it was their fault that Grandpa Malfoy was put in jail, or stripped of his glory/money or whatever. Then it gives focus to Scorpius' lot in life if he's not happy with it.
That is a possibility but I think Rowling said in an interview that Scorpious was an 'improvement on Draco' or something like that. So he might not end up being a Dark Lord.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand