Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Would Voldemort come back as a ghost?

Old July 8th, 2007, 4:31 am
First Year

voldy be a ghost?

could voldy be a ghost if or when he dies that would not be good or does he not have a enough soul.

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

"It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

"Voldemort himself created his own worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress?"
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 6:00 am
First Year

Re: Would Voldemort come back as a ghost?

I doubt he will return as a ghost. He's too proud

Old July 8th, 2007, 8:53 am
Sixth Year

I like the idea that Voldemort would be unable to return as a ghost because of the fact he split his soul and made Horcruxes out of the pieces. I'm sure Voldemort would rather become a ghost than die and pass into that other world, but it makes sense to me that only an intact soul can leave the imprint of the body it inhabited.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Second Year

its possible, but i dont think voldie would want to as he wouldnt be able to do anything!

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:56 pm
Second Year

no, voldemort wouldn't come back as a ghost. in the first hp book, PS/SS voldy says :
'There is no good and evil. There is just power and those too weak to seek it.'

In a way, ghosts are those who were afraid of death so they remained behind. To Voldemort, this would be weakness so he would prefer to die, i would think.

Old July 8th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Fourth Year

I really think he will. I think Nick said something about people become ghost when they are unfullfilled in some way. Wouldn't Voldemort qualify as someone as unfulfilled.

Old July 8th, 2007, 4:04 pm
Second Year

I don't believe he could, and am uncertain if he would want too, becuase he would have no power, but am torn about his fear of death. Interesting topic though

Old July 8th, 2007, 4:36 pm
Sixth Year

I think that Voldemort would invitably become a ghost. I wonder where he would haunt, though? Funny to think of him existing forever....powerless.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old July 8th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Third Year

Can you come back as a ghost if you dont have a complete soul?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 8th, 2007, 5:02 pm
First Year

I think Voldie will probably be vanquished for good in book 7 rather than coming back as a ghost. He could still influence people as a ghost and possibly be dangerous so I think whatever happens to Harry Voldemort will be finished for good.

Old July 8th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Second Year

after sirius 'died' harry asked nearly-headless nick if sirius could become a ghost. nick said that you only became a ghost if you were afraid of dieing. even if there was enough of voldy left after he died i don't think he would become a ghost because i do not think that is is afraid of dieing.

however if he was afraid of dieing and if he did die and come back as a ghost, wouldn't he be around forever? so if that was the case i doubt the story would end. because wouldnt voldy still be able to control his troops? and if harry was still alive, then he would still be fighting the troops and it wouldn't ever stop.

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Old July 8th, 2007, 9:35 pm
First Year

I doubt it, aside form being a massive anti climax I doubt he could due to the Horcruxes me made, but mainly because it would ruin the story:

"Yay! I've finally vanquished Voldemort!"
"Have you Potter?"
"Oh &"%!"

E in all three W.O.M.B.A.T.S

I trusted Severus Snape.
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:34 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoRetla View Post
I think that Voldemort would invitably become a ghost. I wonder where he would haunt, though? Funny to think of him existing forever....powerless.
I don't think he would haunt a place, I think he would haunt Harry. That's why I think if Voldemort dies in DH, it would be best if JK Rowling used the "he can't come back because his soul was split" scenario.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old July 9th, 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandom592 View Post
no, voldemort wouldn't come back as a ghost. in the first hp book, PS/SS voldy says :
'There is no good and evil. There is just power and those too weak to seek it.'

In a way, ghosts are those who were afraid of death so they remained behind. To Voldemort, this would be weakness so he would prefer to die, i would think.
Who would be more afraid of death than LV? LV even brags to the DEs that he was less than the meanest ghost, but alive! I think the idea would appeal to LV, but the pieces of his soul being devided and scattered would make it impossible unless each piece had already begun the process before his body had been destroyed.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 9th, 2007, 2:36 am
First Year

I doubt that he will come back as a ghost, partly because his soul is torn into 7 pieces and when the horcruxes are all destroyed, there won't be much left to become a ghost, and partly because when he is dead he will be unable to continue taking over the wizard- and the muggle world.

"I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter, booh"
Old July 9th, 2007, 4:24 am
First Year

I agree with a lot of people that he can't come back as a ghost because he's split his soul so many times. He only has fragments of a soul and not a whole soul, so I don't think it would be strong enough to come back as a ghost.

Even if he did, I don't see him being able to do much damage as a ghost, he can't use spells and stuff when he's a ghost right? When you break him down, he's nothing without his Aveda Kedvra.

Imagine Voldemort as the new Peeves of Hogwarts hahaha!

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!
Old July 9th, 2007, 1:24 pm
Second Year

I hadn't thought of this!

Despite some of the earlier posts, we've been given plenty of clues to indicate Voldemote is terrified of death - its the whole reason behind making horcruxes in the first place!

Whether he would be able to with an incomplete soul is interesting, but given that only one horcrux seems to be needed in order to come back (or why make so many?) its possible in my opinion that only one piece of soul may be needed to become a ghost.

Wasn't Rob Roy quartered and his body sent to the four corners of Britain so his soul couldn't rest? I wonder if this would apply to LV too? I supposes this would depend on whether the soul pieces are destroyed at the same time the horcruxes are, or if they pass to into the afterlife and put into storage or something until the whole lot can re-unite or regroup terminator 2style!

I doubt LV would be anywhere as close to being as powerful after spliting up like that if he could become a ghost. I think the key will be LV deciding death is the better option and not being left with the idea of having unfinished buisness, which seems to be the key in becoming a ghost in the first place. Its more like the type of ending I'd expect from Jo than leaving a loose thread where LV could come back and another series start up. She's been pretty clear this won't happen, so there would have to be a definate end to LV.

Old July 9th, 2007, 5:36 pm
First Year

I'm coming back to the whole Dementor's kiss idea. Someone pointed out that Harry wouldn't have to be a killer. Well, we can't be 100% sure that Harry would be the killer... But even if Voldemort did end up without a soul (assuming all Horcruxes are destroyed when the kiss happens) he would still be alive. That is explained in the third book. You are an empty shell, soulless, but you are still ALIVE. Therefore, Harry would still have to die because "neither can live while the other survives". And a Voldemort without a soul is still a surviving Voldemort.

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:50 am
First Year

probably because Nick (gryffindor ghost) was afraid of death so he came back... and Voldemort said he was afraid of death also so i think he would come back as a ghost and haunt Harry and continue to lead the death eaters

Old July 10th, 2007, 3:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhp91 View Post
probably because Nick (gryffindor ghost) was afraid of death so he came back... and Voldemort said he was afraid of death also so i think he would come back as a ghost and haunt Harry and continue to lead the death eaters
I thought of that too, but I honestly don't see it happening because a huge part of the Death Eater's loyalty to Voldemort is out of fear. If he's already dead and just a ghost that can't really hurt you (I'm assuming this since the worst a ghost has ever done in the books is throw stuff... Peeves) then the Death Eaters have no real reason to fear him, or follow him for that matter. Without fear, Voldemort is nothing.

I can picture Lucius Malfoy trying to take over Voldemort's place while Voldy's ghost screams in protest... but Harry can defeat Lucius and the others more easily since they're mortal and have no horcruxes that we know of.

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies