Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"£$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Qvack...

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

"O". Outstanding.

I think, fair dues to Joanne Rowling, she really did outdo herself, and she accomplished so much with this story. 17 years in the making, we finally see what happens. I can't claim disappointment in anything.

I think I cried solidly for the last three chapters, and at various other points during the story. Now, having always been a crybaby, this may not be replicated by much of the Harry Potter adoring demographic, but here's hoping!!

The use of the epigraphs at the beginning really proved to me that JK Rowling knew exactly what she wanted. The fact that, after 17 years, not a single bit of this book lagged or bored me in any way, is an achievement. This is a classic book, from a classic series that defeats even the Lord of the Rings, surprised, and somewhat unnerved though I am to admit this. I think JKR grew up with this story, and she has made literary history, and rightly so.

Ever inch of the story, every section, every breathless chase and exchange of dark secrets made this book the best in the series. The Darkest, the oldest, the most beautiful, the most imaginative, with the strongest imagery, strongest ideas and the strongest prose. A masterpiece of literature.

I think it takes someone with a lot of reading experience to see that J K Rowling really did pour lots of thought into this book.
Snape's death, where the lack of a conversation with Harry has annoyed some people, I can only praise because it adds so much to Snape's story. he died, as he lived, a tormented man. Talking with Harry would have made his death seem inconsequential. The fact that he had no time to explain himself means that his death is one of the most regrettable and helpless in the story, even for those who believed him incapable of doing good.

The introduction and heightened involvement of Gelert Grindelwald has also irritated many people, who see the echoes of the Holocaust, Fascism and Wolrd War Two. Though I do see the examples and wordplay leading to this, I think it only adds to the book's relevance. Harry Potter is no longer simply a fantasy novel, but something more.

The characters realise, finally, that there is more to life than what is expected, and more to death than what is seen. They grow up in ways we could not have imagined, and make choices that were not forseen. The simple things from previous books, such as Gringotts' policies, Grindelwald, why Dumbledore did not accept the job as Minister, the woes of Percy Weasley, and Draco Malfoy's choices, led to new twists, new turns and completely unexpected twists in the plot.
I'm glad to see the characters grow up, wake up, and realise the important things.

The 19 major characters who died, I cannot complain about. Every single one of them was dealt with as death is. Sudden, incomprehensible, and in the case of several characters, Fred Weasley and Severus Snape among them, devastating.

The Horcruxes were perfection. I love the idea that, even though Harry was charged with defeating them, the only person in the end who served to defeat more than one, was Voldemort himself.

The Epilogue, I can only applaud. I realise that people have issues with it. But Nineteen Years Later taught me so much. The story of good and evil never grows old, but in this case leaves with a flourish of goodwill and hope. Less is more. Rowling tells us what happens to four major characters, and Neville Longbottom. She shows us, once more, Harry's selflessness and guilt, and she shows us the relationships that we have been wanting since book 1.

At 37 years old, Harry Potter is roughly the same age his father would have been throughout the books had he survived. But instead, we see the new James Potter, exhibiting the same traits as his grandfather. And we see a trace of Harry's past when people stare at him. But he takes it in his stride. I think it's the perfect image of self actualisation. The end, as it were.

10/10. And I'm fussy!!!

THE DUCK.

Last edited by vampiricduck; July 25th, 2007 at 7:00 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes, sorry everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Second Year

I'd give it an E cos there were bits I didn't like. But I'll start with the good stuff
DD was already dying in HBP!! Did ANYBODY see that coming? I don't remember seeing any theories saying this. I guess it goes to show that JK is rather cleverer than us. I loved Snape's tale although the bit on the train read a bit like one of those countless maureuder fanfictions.
The bit when Harry was going to his death and asked his parents if it hurt...that was so sad. That entire bit nearly had me in tears. See also death of Dobby.
All of the camping stuff, the unease of what's going on out there, the suspense of having to always be hiding. Harry's accusation that Ron thinking it would all be over by Christmas reminiscent of WW1. The entire country slowly being taken over by pureblood prejudice.
Kreacher becoming a good egg merely after a bit of kindness. Shows that Sirius wasn't as much a hero as he could have been.
Actually, this way Jk has of giving the 'good guys' bad flaws grates with me when you consider the rather narrowminded way in which the 'bad guys' are presented as non redeemable, except Snape. None of the Slyths stayed to fight? HUH? It's like brave people are in Gryffindor and nowhere else, and not (as I always thought) Gryff containing people who value bravery. For example Luna is exceptionally brave but she is in Ravenclaw simply because she values wit and wisdom above it. Just because Slyths value cunning and sly wisdom over bravery, does not mean they lack this trait and would not want to stay and defend their school. This left me a bit disapointed with JK since the other two houses did stay behind. it's like she's contradicting herself.
I really did not like the prologue, that also read like a bit of fanfiction. I loved the end with Harry wondering if Kreacher would bring him a sandwich, that made me laugh and cry at the same time. I tihkn she should have left it on that note rather than the rather weak sentence, 'all was well'.

"Go tell the world I'm still around. I didn't fly, I'm coming down."
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Inconceivable!

I loved this book. My biggest prediction was wrong, but then JKR had a twist that I wasn't expecting - what else is new.

I thought that this book was the heart of the whole series. JKR did a brilliant job of giving us clues for six books and then having it come together in the final one. Things like the put-outer and the motorbike that we saw in PS/SS come back in DH. It was great.

I love what happened with Kreacher, poor Dobby and the goblin, Griphook. The Deathly Hallows was a great new story line, especially the Elder wand.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Second Year

I had to give it a "E".

Over all I felt that DH was done. HBP is still my favorite. I still have so many questions, like a lot of people.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:26 am
First Year

I thought it was great, in part because it was much different than the other books. The tone was so much darker and the material so much heavier that I don't think it would have worked with the typical format of Hogwarts schoolyear with climactic battle just before summer vacation that characterized the other books. I loved how so many loose ends were pulled together (though I still have many questions; hopefully they'll be answered in the encyclopedia.) It was so cool to see just how much JKR planned out in advance, because she clearly knew what was going to happen long befor she wrote the book.

I agree that some of the deaths seemed a bit rushed, and began to fall into a pettern so that by the end of the book, I expected someone to die at the end of each chapter. For me, the most emotional part was when Harry used the stone to see his parents, Sirius, and Remus again.

Also, did anyone else notice the quotes at the beginning of the American edition by William Penn and Aeschylus? I thought those were really cool.

Overall, a great ending to a great series. My life will be boring now that it's over.

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:51 am
Arithmancer

I voted Outstanding because I really didn't expect the things that I got. I mean absolutely amazing and is now at the top of my list instead of GoF.

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:58 am
Banned

Re: Deathly Hallows: One of the Worst Books I have Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendaryhobo View Post
1. Everything about the way the Hallows came into play. They were introduced far too late in the series, we had heard nothing about them at all before halfway through this book. So all the sudden these legendary items become a defining and central piece of the harry potter story... at approximately 9/10ths through the story. Imagine if Frodo got to Mordor and then Gandalf sent him a message along the lines "Oh BTW forgot to tell you that dagger you've had since scene 1 is the dagger of UxkGathank and can kill Sauron with one hit." LAME.
I think this was done pretty well in regards to the Hallows. It certainly allowed for some different aspects of the wizarding world to be explored rather than focusing on the Horcruxes. This isn't to say that a book purely about Horcruxes wouldn't be fun, but just imagine if the Hallows was ommited in the first place.

First of all we'd have less memory Voldemort time as to what he was trying to do. Second, the entire mystery of the book would be about Horcruxes and perhaps just a bit of Dumbledore past time. However it would be awfully boring IMHO because in the end it'll be just another dungeon romp/fetch quest for Harry. Go here destroy horcrux, go there destroy horcrux etc. There's just something that isn't entirely fun about just keeping with Harry and Co. to destroy horcruxes in such a direct straight about matter. However at the same time even though it very much WAS like that in the book (tent angst, Ron Divorcing Harry etc.) it could have been far worst without the Hallows.

But the inclusion of the Hallows I thought was done fairly well, not so much as a final Dues Ex Machina for solving the entirety of problems of killing old Voldemort in the series, but as a representation of what the Hallows are in regards to Harry's personal struggle how to come to terms with his own impending death, trust, love and sacrafice. Yes the Hallows as a plot point was sort of right out of left field but what isn't in the HP series? I mean should we have introduced the GoF earlier in the series? Or the OoTP? I do like it in the sense that with the DH objects themselves, it managed to make the book more of an individual installment than being just the 2nd part of a 2 parter story arc. I really do like it however at the same time it entirely requires you to read the entire series to understand it. Not a stroke of genius because the writing is quite poor (mainly convinient things explored like Hermione Accio'ing everything they need into her huge bag) but at the same time not a complete travesty.

Quote:
2. The way characters died. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for main characters dying, but the ones that did and how they did was just all wrong. First thing wrong here, no one that anyone really cared about died. There wasn't a single death that overshadowed Dumbledore's, which there should have been in the climax. One of the main characters should have died, or at the very minimum Hagrid. Fred was just a poor choice, there was no real significance to him dying, other than giving the weasley's someone to mourn, could have been done with any of them. The way everyone died, like Lupin and Tonks, seemed to be off "camera" or in a very non elaborate way (IE fred, Boom goes a wall, dead is fred... boring).
Well I think what JKR is trying to get by this point isn't so much how we mourn people dying, but why these people died. Hedwig represented a close friend once again dying, Moody being a warrior who died fighting. Lupin and Tonks no matter how uncerimouniously was killed, was more symbolic in that they died fighting for a future for their own son not only to live...but to live in a better world than what they are in. In addition to Lupin and Tonks dying it just adds to the pain and suffering that everyone encounters in a time of war compounded with the Weasley family. Once again it not so much the idea that there should be a more gallant way for these people to die, but what they represent in their deaths. Fred added with Tonks and Lupin just was overload for Harry showing it's not just instances of death like DD or Sirius that matters, but the entirety of death in war that is overwhelming which in it's own way overshadows Dumbledore's death.

Quote:
3. Worthy of its own point, was Snape's death. Snape was the best character Rowling had, the most developed and believable. Yet his death scene is to sit there and hope Voldemort changes his mind? In HBP you learn that Snape is without a doubt one of the best Wizards currently alive. If you rate Dumbledore as the best, and figure even he had to use Snape for things he couldn't do (cure the ring curse), you come to the conclusion that Snape should have been somewhere near the level it takes to compete with Voldemort in a duel. Snape at the least deserved his own duel with Voldemort barely scraping out a win against him, I mean the final showdown was happening, why the **** was Snape still pretending to be on the bad side?
I don't think Snape ever deserved a fight with Voldemort becuase in the end it it's his cunning, not his fighting skill that showed how dedicated he is to a cause. He's always been one not to fight but to negotiate in the background. Snape waited for his chance knowing full well that perhaps he might die for his cause and his own reasons but at least he knows when not to waste a good moment. If you think that Snape was so smart or great even to the level of Dumbledore, then by that extension Snape should also be as reserved and willing to sacrafice as Dumbledore. Why Dumbledore chose not to kill Harry while Voldemort possessed him is the same quality that Snape has not to kill Voldemort before the time was right.
Quote:
4. Before the 7th came out many people wanted to know how in the world three non graduated students were going to find and destroy 3 horcrux's when the pursuit of two nearly caused the demise of Dumbledore, the greatest wizard there was? Well the solution is simple, just drink some polyjuice potion, grab the horcrux, and hit it with a sword. Let's think about this, the most wanted person in the entire wizarding world manages to get into the ministry of magic, Gringotts, and Hogwart's, sustaining minor injuries throughout. He does this without the help of any full fledged wizards. I wonder how far Osama Bin Laden would get infiltrating the CIA headquarters, the Federal Reserve, and the White House, even if he did have an invisible cloak.
Well what did you want really? Them to fail? I admit, there were a few too many "lucky" scrape bys here and there but I think that's the double edged sword presented to us in the novel. We know that they weren't completely ready and yet they managed to scrape by. That isn't realisitic but at the same time that realism of them scraping by shows how unready they are at times. I also had the same feelings but really I don't know how else to really show that these inexperienced wizards are going to save the day other than NOT and completely GAME OVERING the entire book.
Quote:
5. The battle between Harry and Voldemort. I mean, need a say more than weak? Okay let me paint a picture for you. Bad guy and good guy circle each other in front of a bunch of people for like 10 minutes while the good guy explains to the Bad guy why everything he does is wrong. Sounds good to me, big build up for an epic battle of good and evil, so here we go time for the fight and.... Avada Kedavra! Expeliarmus! Boom! Voldemort is dead! We waited 10 years for the final showdown between these two and all you get is a speech followed by a single paragraph description of the fight itself. Harry did nothing, he just let voldemort's spell rebound on him by virtue of the fact that he happened to be holding the Elder wand. Whippeee.
Well really as much as we were expecting a battle between Harry and Voldemort, it should be noted that the battle between Harry and Voldie was never about who was the more powerful wizard, who was the most skilled wizard or who knew the most spells. The battle between Harry and Voldemort was more about the battle between love and the absence of love. About accepting death and fearing it. About caring vs. hate just all that Carebear stuff. All this time leading up to Voldemort's defeat was always based upon a conflict of ideals and philosophies, not of skills and power. In the end it was love that won as silly as it sounds.

Don't get me wrong...I was pretty disappointed too. Not so much that it wasn't much of a fight but because heck......Harry vs. Voldemort ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION 2007 could have been done better. What was Voldemort waiting for? What was Harry waiting for? In some respect I had almost wanted it to be like the MoM battle where Dumbledore was fighting Riddle but at the same time having a nice dandy little casual chat with him while deflecting curses and death, that would have been a great echo to OoTP, but in the end it was the battle of words and not wands. Kind of lame IMHO but Voldemort in the end was reduced to someone very pathetic and someone to be pitied as opposed to feared. I guess his death was suitable.

Quote:
6. Where is the battle of good and evil? Oh yes I remember that good and bad people killed each other, but where is the struggle? Where is the moral dilemna? Harry never has an inkling of evil tendencies the entire series! The worst he ever does is get snappy and distrust his elders, never is tempted or has any real internal conflict. I found Harry to be completely unbelievable as a character. Snape is the only good character in the entire series, and he gets relatively little time for it. The following article expresses what I mean here much more eloquently, so here it is if you care to see:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0725/p...op.html?page=1
This I have to agree with. Harry didn't really face a moral dillema as to the darkness of his soul which was expressed with his use of the forbidden curses in HBP and OoTP and I wish they would have expanded more upon on that. Instead we got Harry to Crucio someone and realize that he needed more anger and hate to get it right as Bellatrix suggested in OoTP. Sure it didn't go all *** STAR WARZ on us but I guess the idea of love vs. hate overpowered the idea of Harry going through moral conflict. I mean I was a bit disappointed but at the same time it was almost expected. Sadly the problem is that it certainly lacks a clear moral punch to the entire storyline.

Quote:
7. The final chapter. Blech! Is it possible to write a more cliche happily ever after ending than this one? I submit that it is not.

Rowling had a real chance to do something great with this book. It was one of the most popular (if not the most) books of all time, 12 million copies at launch or something like that. So many people were reading this story and waiting for the ending, she could have made a real point, some sort of truth for us all to learn from. At the very least something to make millions of people think. Instead she gives a cookie cutter ending that actually requires you to shut off a large portion of your brain even to stomach it.

I welcome whatever criticism you have of my position, but remember "Argument is not simply contradiction."
As some people mentioned before, I think the epilogue was to emphasize what was fought for in the end. A better world. A normal world. A world where it was pre-voldemort and even pre-voldemort ressurection. It was simple, but also stupid to me. IMHO it sounded like a fanfic however that's my interpretation of what it's supposed to represent.

I have to admit that you do present good points some points that I personally share, that the book isn't as great as one might think. But I don't think that we could really come to agreement that it could have been done in a better way that would impress us without having to drag it out a bit longer than usual or having to go down the same roads as the previous installment in the series. I mean I like the book series, but in no way it stands out as ZOMG *** AWESOMENESS 100% because it really lacks certain things to keep it entertaining all the way throughout. However I just disagreed with some of your points with my interpretations isn't so much to defend against your disagreements but to present perhaps an avenue that you didn't consider before and that perhaps then you can see where else you can start with finding the faults of DH (which there are many). Basically you have to understand it to rip it apart and I'm also trying to do the same thing as well.

I don't loathe the book but I'd at least like to point out to people some of the more literary weaknesses of the novel.

Old July 26th, 2007, 3:03 am
BANNED... No really they are...

I gave an A. I loved the story and the action was great, but I found it a bit dragging with all those camping scenes, and I was disappointed with the epilogue. It was a great book nonetheless.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old July 26th, 2007, 9:01 am
First Year

Good start... ok ending...

I was pretty impressed when the pet owl was snuffed early on... I was thinking that the book would be brutal. I didn't think she was going to be killed.... However I had already guessed most of the other secrets. At least the RAB one and that Snape loved Lily.

Other parts did live up to what I expected from JK. She killed Lupin, thus smiting almost everyone father like figure in Harry's life. ...and the ending with Mrs. W saving the day pretty much prove my personal joke about JK expressing her issues from her life... anyway. It was truly a nice show of "mom" power, and I love Mrs. W so I was pretty happy she kicked some *** in the end, and used the "B" word.

I also really loved the Hallows and the use of the children's story in children's book. It was classic JK brilliance.

However, JK kinda let me down in the big battles. It's just doesn't seem to be her nack. Plus, I would have preferred if Harry had died in the end. For some reason I felt like Harry joining his family and lost love ones would have been better. Now I just think he has a family and a 9 to 5. Maybe if Harry had died the ending would have been too much like Tolkien in LOTR. I just thought after the resurrection it was just too obvious what was going to happen. And I agree with other that the ending was rather abrupt... I wanted more closure on the other key characters like Hagrid.

For me the highlight of the book was the escape from the bank on the dragon. Over all I was pleased... it really hard ending a book. I guess I wish she had made the 5 book shorter and the last book longer...

Good job JK... enjoy your Millions! Don't pull a Lucas and decide to revisit your books in 25 years and also add a Prequel. :P

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:50 pm
First Year

Outstanding! I loved both the plot and the construction of the novel, with those nice allusions to previous parts (like Hermione asking Ron "Are you a wizard, or what?!"), the reappearance of objects known from the previous parts (like the flying bike) and the use made of some characters that were known before only as names (Bathilda, Mafalda Hopkirk). Also, I agree with one of the reviewers (I don't remember the name just now, I think it was the New York Times review) that the ending, i.e. the solution of the Harry-Voldemort conflict, is the only one imaginable (for me, at least) - the Messianic allusions are played really well.
What I really did like A LOT was the fact that two main questions that seemed to me of utmost importance before (1. Will Harry survive? 2. Is Dumbledore dead?) turned out to be actually meaningless; I mean, in both of these two cases the answer was in fact ambiguous. Yes, Dumbledore was dead, and yet he was still giving advice, commenting on things and taking major part in the events. Yes, Harry died, and yet he did not.
Personally, I had some satisfaction in one of my dreams being fulfilled (i.e. Snape turning out to be on the good side), but I wish we found out something about the Veil!

Last edited by ninedin; July 26th, 2007 at 2:51 pm. Reason: grammar error corrected
Old July 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm
Banned

I guess I'm towards the minority. I voted Acceptable. I have so many conflicting thoughts on this book, so forgive me if I ramble.

To be honest, I didn't expect much from this book. While I thought the plot development of Horcruxes was surprisingly skillful for a writer of JKR's caliber (I don't consider her a good writer by any stretch of the imagination; I only like the books for their plot and occasional moments of humor, but I feel they lack in description and moving emotion), the writing was just as, if not more, shoddy than ever. Perhaps if it were just the writing style that bugged me, I would have voted E or even O. I certainly would have for CoS, PoA, and GoF.

But, alas, it was not the only thing. The book was very fast paced. JKR crammed way too much info and way too many battle scenes into one book. Previous, there had been one or two exciting scenes throughout the novels, and then the big battle scenes at the end. Now it was battle scene after battle scene after battle scene. There wasn't much transition - everything was abrupt. It was almost like verbal vomit - everything just came out as it came up.

Not to mention that the trio miraculously escaped every one of those battles. I would've liked to see one of them die during those numerous battle, to be honest. Not Harry, of course, that had to be saved for Voldemort. But I wouldn't mind seeing Ron go. You know, I wouldn't even mind seeing Harry die permanently to take out Voldemort. Somehow, I always knew that she wasn't going to kill off anyone from the trio. And I think that's one of her biggest mistakes ever. Not killing them off makes the danger they faced seem unrealistic. They're powerful, smart teens, I grant that. But they're not all-powerful, and this book certainly made them seem like they are. Not killing one of them was completely expected, and led to one of those fairy-tale "happily ever-afters".

I mean, "All was well"? What kind of ending was that? The epilogue was like some high school kid wrote it, except the high school kid could probably do better. Ron and Hermione married with kids, Harry and Ginny married with kids, Draco married with kid, kids go off to Hogwarts, Harry makes a valiant speech about how Slytherin is an acceptable house (which I think it is, but it was so predictable)…who didn't expect that to happen? The epilogue should have been done away with. And what happened to the last word being "Scar"? I would've liked that.

I even expected Harry to die and then live again through some means. I didn't expect him to be a Horcrux, but still. JKR didn't do anything that shocked or astounded me, which I think a good writer should do, especially at the close of a series. Since the prophecy in OoTP, I think most people had a good idea of what the final duel would be like: Harry taunts Riddle, Harry wins. Not to say I didn't enjoy it (although I did mourn Voldemort, shocking, I know), but it was what I expected.

Oh and the Snape/Lily sub-plot? Moving, but almost like she took it right from fanfiction.net. Well-executed, but nothing I haven't seen or heard before. But I will be honest and say I didn't think she'd every actually do it in the books. I thought that was something she'd leave to fanfiction writers. That’s the only thing that I can say truly shocked me in the book.

The Deathly Hallows? I can't say I expected a whole other plot-line, but I did know that something was up with the Marvolo ring and the Invisibility Cloak. It was pretty obvious that there was something about them. While I loved the Deathly Hallows, and think it was something that was interesting and written remotely well, I hated that they were crammed in an already over-flowing book. I feel like Hallows and Horcruxes were too much, and the Hallows didn't get the justification they deserved. The Horcruxes were unveiled slowly, starting from HBP. The Hallows had hints in other books, but were suddenly dropped on us in the last book.

And the Perevell heritage? Awesome, but not unexpected. I knew one day it was going to come to Harry and Voldemort being related, however distantly. I thought it was fitting, being their many similarities, and I like it because it makes for a tortured hero, and the whole yin and yang thing. But again, expected.

Even more annoying were the plot holes. There is so much that she left out or didn't explain fully. Where was Snape's portrait? Who became headmaster of Hogwarts? Who became permanent Minister of Magic? What happened to the Death Eaters? What happened to the dementors? What happened to the Dursleys? What happened to Azkaban? What did the trio do for a living? Where did they live? Do you make a Horcrux every time you kill someone (since Voldemort didn't mean to make Harry one, but he did)? What caused Lily to fall in love with James? Did the Marauders know Snape loved Lily? Why wasn't James his own Secret Keeper? Was Wormtail's silver hand cursed? Did Luna ever find out what her father did?

And the amazing change of hearts the characters had? Completely unrealistic. Kreacher made me want to laugh. He went from hating Harry to practically wanting to be married and have kids with him. Not that it wasn't nice that something finally went right for Harry, but come on! And Percy suddenly realizing how close-minded he's been miraculously being forgiven before his brother died? At least she kept Harry, Hermione, and Snape kind of real. They matured and grew at a more realistic pace.

But Ron never grew. I don't care what anyone says about the locket influencing him or how he came back and saved Harry's life, Ron is an immature baby. I've never hated a character as much as I've hated Ron. The fact that he abandoned Harry in the middle of a war highlighted how he's never changed or grown. He came back because of Hermione, not Harry. And Dumbledore? I lost all my respect for him in this book. Grooming Harry to die? What a manipulative…

And the bloodbath was unbearable. A lot of the deaths were cruel. Hedwig? Harry's beloved pet that wasn't even in the war really? Fred? Leaving his maimed twin behind? Lupin? Who had just had a child and come to terms with what he was? I understand that Mad-Eye and Snape needed to die. I can even somewhat get Tonks. But the death toll was huge, and much more than "two main characters", in my opinion. Everyone who died, I pretty much considered a main character. And the lack of mourning…leaving Lupin and Tonks alone while Fred was surrounded by his family…no proper funerals…was JKR trying to kill us all?

Overall, the read had some good moments, but left me and my curiosity vastly unsatisfied.

Old July 26th, 2007, 7:13 pm
First Year

Hmm...Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

All in all, it was a good book. People who say they didn't like it because Harry wasn't an uber-wizard of the likes of Dumbledore and Grindlewald are deluding themselves. The whole of the Harry Potter series, especially HBP, has stressed the fact that Harry isn't a powerful wizard. I'd even go as far to say that Harry not being powerful is the whole point of the Harry Potter series. Harry's power was that he didn't seek power.

This, I find, is far more satisfying than any "Harry trains and comes into his own" storyline. Not because of any moral message or anything like that, but because of realism. Even if Harry were a magical prodigy, there would be no way that you could realistically make a 17-year-old magical prodigy beat a 60-year-old magical prodigy. Therefore, the only satisfying way in which Harry could win would be through a power not related to ordinary magic. Like love, music, self-sacrifice...all those things that Dumbledore has said are magics beyond the ordinary.

Of course, this isn't to say that in fanfiction it isn't fun to play with powerful and skilled versions of Harry, nor does it stop me wishing that Harry could have been at least a little bit more competent, but when it comes to canon, the way DH played out fits the overall canon feeling and message.

I shall now go through pros and cons of the book. No doubt there will be more cons, but that's because it's always easier to see things that displease us than things we like.

Pros

- The Grindlewald/Dumbledore storyline. Dumbledore had always been my favourite character, and it was great to see his character get fleshed out. It isn't really a victory for manipulative!Dumbledore fans though, as many make it out to be. Sure, the whole thing was mastermined by Dumbledore, but that was the only way in which Harry could have won. He didn't really intend to sacrifice Harry as Snape's memory so coldly presented: he just needed Harry to think that, so that he might live. And it turns out he wasn't an evil wizard subduing his sister either: despite all his talent and promise, he did abandon his future to care for her, no matter how much he may have grumbled about it.

- The new magic, what little of it there was.

- The style. Many people criticise JKR's style; I love it. I love the way she tells the story from Harry's view and shows his thoughts yet still from a third-person perspective, and the way she manages to cover a lot of time in little space, which I find very hard.

- The chapter in which Harry goes to sacrifice himself and Voldemort "kills" him. Masterful. If only she could have pulled through and had actually made Harry die: it would have been one of the strongest endings of all fiction of all time.

- The Kings-Cross chapter with Dumbledore. All is revealed.

Cons

- The sheer predictability of the book. Harry is a horcrux, Snape redeems himself, Snape loved Lily, The Malfoy's redeem themselves, Kreacher redeems himself, R.A.B was Regulus, Dumbledore knew what he was doing all along, and of course the format of the book: Hunt for the horcruxes, and then face off with Voldemort. It was all predicted. The only thing that was unpredictable was that which would have been impossible to predict: the Hallows. But these turned out to be a side-plot, not a main part of the story, so meh.

- Snape. His character works better as evil than as good, and the whole loving Lily thing was painful.

- The epilogue. I don't dislike it because it's H/G - I don't mind that too much. No, I dislike it because it tells us absolutely nothing.

- How little new magic we see in the books.

- The abandonment of some rather big parts of the previous books, particularly the abandonment of some of the best parts of HBP. Non-verbal magic anyone? What happened to that? And occlumency too? Snape's words at the end of HBP obviously didn't have ther intended effect on Harry. "Blocked and blocked again until you learn to close your mouth and mind" (paraphrased).

- The ending. Harry beats Voldemort because of Wand Ownership Rights? How lame is that? I wasn't expecting a huge duel or anything like that, but Harry winning on a technicallity is a bit of a let down. I would have prefered a power-of-love ending to that.

- The "Hermione knows everything, I can just sit back and do nothing" attitude that Harry has. I know we've seen this in previous books, but in DH it is upped to the extreme. It's one of Harry's first thoughts of the whole book. "I don't know healing spells: I should learn. I know, I'll get Hermione to tell me". The first two parts of that sentence were good, the last part was not. This I felt was particularly pronounced when Hermione had the book on Horcruxes, and how to destroy them, and Harry didn't even want to take a look at it - it didn't even occur to him that he might want to -, despite it holding the keys to Voldemort's defeat.

- The middle of the book. Like many others, the whole camping thing - even the Gringotts scene - dragged for me.

- The departure from the "Harry Potter forumula". The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th books all made departures from the forumula, each book's divergence being greater than the last's. I loved that formula...

- Molly beating Bellatrix. Huh?

- Harry's invisibility cloak suddenly becoming an uber magical artifact +1. Eh?

Well, those are my pros and cons. Notice I've put nothing about the romance part of the book, which I didn't mind in the least. I've never minded much about canon-Ginny: it's more fanon Ginny I dislike, and even if I did hate her, she's hardly in the book anyway. As an aside, why's everyone going on about Neville? I mean, sure, he disobeyed a few teachers and got punished for it: so waht? He's a cool character, but he's not that cool.

Old July 27th, 2007, 2:41 am
Sixth Year

I gave it an E. It wasn't incredibly amazing, but I thought it was a rather fitting end to the entire saga.

A lot of people have expressed a dislike for the final Harry/Voldemort duel. However, it is one of my favorite scenes. It was never about dueling on skill, because Harry would've lost in five seconds if that were the case. I couldn't expect an OoTP-esque Dumbledore/Voldemort duel/chat, because while Dumbledore had magical prowess as great as Voldemort's, Harry doesn't. The war of the words gives the duel significance, because it's Harry showing how much wisdom he has gained throughout this journey he has been sent on. From the start of their fight, Harry has become the victor, and Voldemort the feeble child.

I thought the role of the Elder Wand was also done well. Wand ownership mattered, yes, but we are shown how Voldemort brought about his downfall in his obsession to obtain its power. It showed how, with every murder Voldemort committed to gain it, he brought himself closer and closer to his ultimate destruction. He had sought it in the first place, and brought it to a position to end him at last.

I think the Horcrux hunt was done well--I was surprised that it managed to fit! Ron's desertion was a tough part to get through, but it strengthened his character and his friendships in the end. The trio often escaped through luck, yes, but how else could it have gone? They did well for a bunch of seventeen-year-old wizards.

The deaths really hit you right there. Some of them, like Snape's and Fred's and Remus's and Tonks's, were very brief, but that is how it is in war. Oftentimes, it's not going to be an epic battle that finishes one.

Snape's story, finally exposed, was something I did not expect, but not one I was disappointed with, really. It gave depth to his tale of remorse, and at his last moment, even before the Pensieve scenes, I couldn't help but shed a tear for his tortured self.

Another of my favorite scenes was the scene wherein Harry makes the decision to die. It makes me cry every time I read it, because it is so simple but beautifully written.

The epilogue was, I will admit, a bit corny, but it was fitting. We are looking at a scene that mirrors life as Harry encountered it when he first stepped into the wizarding world at eleven years old. A peaceful, normal existence--which is the best way to tell us what happened to the survivors. Indeed, all is well for them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
As an aside, why's everyone going on about Neville? I mean, sure, he disobeyed a few teachers and got punished for it: so waht? He's a cool character, but he's not that cool.
It's more of how he's come into himself since the beginning of the series. Before, he was just this forgetful, scared kid who practically shook at the mention of Snape. Now, here he is, a veritable warrior, going up against the Carrows, whose methods are rather more frightening than Snape's, at a time when few others dared. He had the courage to rush forward to battle Voldemort, even when everyone thought all was lost. He is a far cry from the old Neville, and that's the reason why he has become so cool.

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:19 am
First Year

I loved the majority of this book but i really felt like it feel flat on its face at the end.

The bulk of this book i thought was amazing. It picked up quickly and it was full of excitement from the get-go. It was completely different from the style of the others, but in this case, different was good. The hunting for horcruxes was a great plotline and the hallows added a bit of mystery to the whole thing. But by the end, the story's many drawbacks became painfully apparent.

- The lack of important characters. Really, this story has harry, ron, and hermione. That's it. Every other character in this series got an EXTREMELY minor role in this book, especially ginny weasley, who i thought would do...something....anything...in this book that would warrant jkr building her character slowly up over the last 6 books.

- The time spent on despair. I didn't notice this much at first, but lets face it, too much time was spent on harry and co. apparating from one place to another, no leads, despair, despair, despair...i wasn't aware of how much of the book it was taking until i looked down at the page #s and realized that the book was slipping by with these random lulls in it.

- Ron and Hermione's relationship. Built up throughout the whole series, and especially in this book, and then there's a quick kissing scene and BAM that's the end we see of that relationship till the epilogue. Seemed like they should've gotten together earlier in the story so we'd have had more time to actually see their relationship blossom.

- The ending duel with voldemort i thought was pretty disappointing. For all dumbledore built love up to be, it really played no part in the defeat of voldy whatsoever. This whole scene starting from when voldemort brought harry in to the great hall up through the end of the chapter seemed different from jkr's normal writing style...the defeat of voldemort was just kinda weak to be honest.

- The epilogue.......its too happy ending-ish. Everyone gets married, they all have kids (which harry decides to name all of which after people already in the story)...it just was too happy of an ending for me. I would've preferred a typical jkr ending to be honest. After the big battle and such, harry gets to enjoy some time with ginny, ron and hermione are off in a corner, and then they get back on the train to go home, and its left up to us to imagine what they did with the rest of their lives.

But for all i've said about the cons, i really do think it was a great book. It just got too rushed at the end, kind of like what happened to spiderman 3...i give it an E.

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:49 am
Lycanthrope

JKR's style is JKR's sytle. However, in this book what struck me most was the use of analogies. There were some very, very bad analogies and turns of phrases here that gave a lot of people the wrong idea.

A couple of examples:

1. Kingsley was striding backward and forward, glancing up at the sky every time he turned. Harry was reminded of Uncle Vernon pacing in the living room.

Now I am sure she did not want us to think that kingsley was anything like Uncle Vernon to Harry. But that is exactly what some came away with. Kingsley was suddenly suspect because he was like the mean and rotten Uncle Vernon who had little redeeming characteristics. I was in a thread trying to convince two people that JKR didn't mean to imply Harry now thought Kingsley was like Uncle Vernon and no longer trusted him. And it was all due to the manner of writing.

2. Lupin was reminding (Harry) of the sneering Hufflepuff Zacharias Smith, who jeered at Harry for wanting to teach Dumbledore's Army how to Disarm.

I am fairly certain she was only trying to express Lupin's facial expression and possibly his body language. However, Zacharias sneered in a negative taunting fashion because he had doubts about Harry in general and no attachment to him beyond that of a school mate. Lupin on the other hand is more likely sneering out of frustration (perhaps even a bit of ire) as he tries to convince someone he cares about and does have faith in that they need to correct their ways in order to survive (speaking from the heart). Yet while it hasn't come up in any fourm I have seen, it is another example where Lupin's regard for Harry could be doubted due to an unfortunate choice of analogy.

3. Harry's comment on Mad-Eye Moody's death, talking about what the DE's might have done to him: Yeah they probably transfigured Moody and stuffed him- (hermione stops him).

Did JKR mean for us to think that Harry is so crass at heart that in his light-hearted moments he can make such a nasty joke? I don't think so, again just an unfortunate choice of words for Harry. He is young and young people say all kinds of things that come to them; unfortunately, some of JKR's readers have a difficult time understanding that. My niece thought Harry was heartless after the comment and refused to let that image die throughout the book.

Well you get the idea. Scattered throughout the book are more examples of this. I think a little more forethought would have prevented a lot of mis-understanding.

Overall though, the book was very entertaining...I myself was in a state of shock from page 214 - 441, so full of anger for JKR I could hardly take the book in at all; but baring the fact that I might have missed out on some great bits of writing in that section, I think that it was more or less traditional JKR style except a bit more rushed and agressive in style. It had a bit more narration than I might have liked, but it was engrossing in all parts up to 214 and after 441.

I forget the categories we voted on, but I selected the one under outstanding. It was very good, but there were things I would have like to have seen better presented and of course the pages containing what I now refer to as the "page 214 fiasco" were merciless. If she'd done that section with a bit more thought, I would have likely given the book a higher rating despite the poor analogies, because I myself didn't have trouble figuring them out.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 12th, 2007 at 4:14 pm.
Old July 27th, 2007, 5:17 am
The Next Great Adventurer

A. Pretty predictable but more enjoyable and better written overall than its two turgid predecessors. (Although there seems to have been a printing error as a fanfic replaced the epilogue).

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 27th, 2007, 5:19 am
Sixth Year

I liked it a lot but I felt like I would have liked it more if I had never visited CoS forums. Don't take this the wrong way--I love these forums, but everything was pretty much predicted for me so instead of being surprised about anything, I already had read about Snape loving Lily, Harry being a Horcrux, RAB=Regulus etc. I would have liked it more if Harry reflected more on deaths like Lupin's and Fred's, and if there was some insight on what he now learned about Snape.

It was filled with action and it was funny and I liked the throwback quotes from old books. ("Gosh Moody, can't you even tell us apart when we're Harry?" It's not exact, I'm sorry.) I'm in the process of rereading it and I'll probably like it more the second time around.

Old July 27th, 2007, 9:11 am
Sixth Year

belgarath2; "None of the Slyths stayed to fight?"
Slughorn was there fighting. We read that Charlie overtakes him on the run, which I take to mean he is running faster than Slughorn (which wouldn't be too hard).

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson

Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
Old July 27th, 2007, 2:08 pm
First Year

I thought the book was simply outstanding, most of my questions were answered, and although some parts of it i had to go back and re-read (probably because i was reading so fast haha) i found the book very enjoyable. This book is any Harry Potter fan's wish come true, an amazing ending to an amazing era.

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:30 pm
Third Year

I want to add to my original review because I've had some space now since I've read it and I realised a few more things that I don't like. The book is obviously good and there are more good parts than bad. I also understand that the way JKR planned the books means that the last one had to be written this way, bringing up stuff we'd never heard of and resolving things at the last minute in order to keep the suspense. However, up til DH I thought she handled it very well, leaving many mysteries unsolved on the promise that we would eventually find out everything- and that it would be believable, which is very important. My main problem with the book is that everything else we've learned, even when it was hidden or revealed late, made sense and was believable. Harry finds out about the Prophecy very late, for example, and needed to so JKR could keep to her plot outline, but it made sense this way and we accepted it. But, even allowing for the fact that JKR simply couldn't reveal certain things until the last book for plot reasons, there are still a couple things that really annoyed me, things we were expected to just swallow suddenly, out of nowhere. Things like:

1. Dumbledore's "shady" past- I enjoyed this plotline, but all the while I read it I had to stop and ask myself: how is it credible that Harry is only finding this out now, after 7 years? There isn't so much as a hint in the other 6 books that DD lived in Godric's Hollow, for example- no one thought it would be nice for Harry to know this? No one tells him anything about his parents' past, including about where they lived, in 6 years? Harry never bothers to think of his mentor's past, where he lived, what his family were like? Come on. All we have to go on is a Grindelwald clue from book 1- and Harry knows this too and never thinks to wonder about it. Even if we got a hint in just one other book I could accept this more.

2. We've learned that Harry's mother had a life-long friendship with the man Harry hates only second to Voldemort. Harry's parents' friends went to school with Snape and know how Snape treats Harry, and know that Snape has given DD some reason for being sorry for his past deeds. Yet not one of them mentions it could be because of Snape's link with Lily? Half the school at that time must have known they were friends, even of a secret sort. I can accept that no one says anything while DD is alive and trusts Snape, but after DD is dead not one person thinks maybe there is more going on there than they knew.

3. Another big problem for me is what Snape is actually doing in DH. We see him hardly ever and only know of a few things he does to help, such as planting the sword, giving VM false information, etc. But what was his plan, had he not died? We're given nothing to go on, except a few post-humous memories. Why was Snape still pretending to be with VM at the Hogwarts fight- why not just announce his real allegience and go find Harry without asking Voldemort? It would just make more sense. Snape's death was the worst thing in any of the books without question. This shabby treatment of the series best character is my biggest let down.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives