Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Old July 4th, 2007, 7:28 am
First Year

Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Dudley can't be a squib. He claims that he never seen a dementor, but Figg said that squibs were still able to see them.

Am I right in saying this or have I been misled?

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 7:48 am
Second Year

no this sounds right but maybe he was lying to get harry in trouble or he was so scared and he didnt want his parents to hate him because he could see it although it dosnt seem that dudley is a squib because he has never tried magic.
as for petunia i belive we will learn why she dislikes wizards so much. maybe there was a traumatic experience in her childhood and she gave up magic forever.

i love it!
Old July 4th, 2007, 8:02 am
First Year

Is Aunt Petunia a Squib?

Good question. No, she is not, but—[Laughter]. No, she is not a Squib. She is a Muggle, but—[Laughter]. You will have to read the other books. You might have got the impression that there is a little bit more to Aunt Petunia than meets the eye, and you will find out what it is. She is not a squib, although that is a very good guess. Oh, I am giving a lot away here. I am being shockingly indiscreet.

Is there more to Dudley than meets the eye?

No. [Laughter]. What you see is what you get. I am happy to say that he is definitely a character without much back story. He is just Dudley. The next book, Half Blood Prince, is the least that you see of the Dursleys. You see them quite briefly. You see them a bit more in the final book, but you don’t get a lot of Dudley in book six—very few lines. I am sorry if there are Dudley fans out there, but I think you need to look at your priorities if it is Dudley that you are looking forward to. [Laughter].

-J K Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival

Neither Aunt Petunia or Dudley will have magical powers.

I do think that in Book 7 we will learn about the conversation she over heard and possibly about the letters that she got from Dumbledore. I think that is what Petunia's secret is, that she knows more about the wizarding world then she lets on. Other than that she won't be doing any magic or anything.

There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet.
Old July 4th, 2007, 7:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofcocacola View Post
Dudley can't be a squib. He claims that he never seen a dementor, but Figg said that squibs were still able to see them.

Am I right in saying this or have I been misled?
JKR said in an interview that Mrs Figg didn't actually see the dementors but that she knew the feeling they gave you.

"I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter, booh"
Old July 4th, 2007, 9:43 pm
First Year

Petunia hates magic more than anything. She mistreated Harry just because his parents - and, at age eleven, Harry too - were wizards. I got the impression that Harry simply thinks that Petunia hates magic because she was jealous of her sister, and because Petunia fears of anyone thinking she somehow abnormal.

But in OotP, Petunia said "I heard that awful boy tell her" about dementors. No matter if 'that awful boy' was Snape or James, it was a wizard. When would a wizard get a chance to talk to Lily in front of Petunia? Why would 'that awful boy' tell Lily about dementors?

I think something happened one holiday break, that made Petunia rhabdophobic (which is fear of magic, by the way). Something that involved perhaps dementors, Dark Arts and Death Eaters.

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:24 pm
Second Year

Oh how I wish that we will see some kind of magical explosion from Petunia in DH-but alas,Jo has kinda ruled that out.She has stated that Petunia has NEVER performed magic nor will she EVER perform it.However,the squib reference in another interview(quoted a couple of posts back)I found to be kind of interesting.Jo stated that,no,Petunia isn;t a squib,but maybe she wanted us to think about the situation that squibs find themselves in-NO magical ability,yet fully knowledgable about all aspects of the wizarding world.Simarlarly,Petunia IS NOT a wich,and yet.thanks to Lily,she seems to know all about the wizarding world.How much?Well we realy don't know exacly,but I strongly expect that we WILL
Remember Petunia flushing a little in HBP?I think this is significant in that this is the moment when Petunia realizes that Harry is leaving for good-and that if she has something to say or give to Harry it is time to make up her mind about.Well,we are at that point now.Petunia has to play her last card with Harry-and it probably be one of the first things we read about in DH.Petunia is gonna cough up-and we're all gonna know it soon

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:50 pm
Fifth Year

One thing that has occured to me is when Harry turns 17 that the dursley's may be in danger and Harry or the order will have to protect them.

Old July 4th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive632 View Post
One thing that has occured to me is when Harry turns 17 that the dursley's may be in danger and Harry or the order will have to protect them.
This is a distinct possibility,and also ties into Petunias' "looking flush"after finding out that Harry would be leaving for good a year earlier than she had anticipated.I think that Petunia has always known that Harrys' protection=her familys' protection.She now knows that with Harry leaving,his protection ends,but so does HERS!!!!!She alone in that family has some idea how danderous things can be for ordinary muggles with a psychopath like Voldemort running amuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think under these conditions,Petunia mighy be inclined to be kinder to Harry than she ever has in the past in the hope that if it comes to it,Harry would be more likely to aid the Durselys.Knowing Harry,he would anyway
But it could lead to an unexpected reproachment between Harry & Petunia!!!!
Alas,for Vernan & Dudley-I expect cluelessness right to the very end

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:44 am
First Year

Perhaps she and Mrs. Figg were in conjuction with one another. Why else would they let Mrs. Figg babysit him all the time?

I think that Petunia loved her sister dearly, and was very much a part of the wizarding world (not actively as a witch, of course) and was devastated when she died, and then began to hate magic altogether.

~ Adhish

Old July 5th, 2007, 8:56 am
First Year

I think that Petunia loved her sister, then found out that Lily was a witch, so their parents were all excited for her-meaning Petunia was left out. Lily was nearly always away, so they frew apart. Also i think Petunia may have liked a wizard [Severus], but he never noticed her [maybe because he liked Lily] and then she began to hate wizards even more..

Old July 5th, 2007, 9:08 am
Sixth Year

Good posts! I think Petunia knows more about the wizarding world than she has ever let on, even to Vernon, like many others have said. I also agree that she was surprised to learn that Harry will be leaving one year earlier than she thought. She knows of dementors and Voldemort. Despite all her hateful talk about Lily, I, too, think they were close at one point in their lives. Time away at boarding school, with new friends, and wizards at that, pulled them apart. That happens. But, we know she recieved at least 1 letter from DD ( I think maybe 1 more) and that letter alone may have info that might help Harry.
Whether or not she was in love with a wizard, I have a harder time with. When would she have met this man? I can't imagine Lily bringing anyone but James home to meet the family. The only times we've seen family going to Hogwarts has been when something horrible happened (Ginny in CoS, the Weasleys in Order) or something special, i.e. the Triwizard Tournament. So, I have a harder time with that one.

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson

Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:04 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhish View Post
Perhaps she and Mrs. Figg were in conjuction with one another. Why else would they let Mrs. Figg babysit him all the time?

I think that Petunia loved her sister dearly, and was very much a part of the wizarding world (not actively as a witch, of course) and was devastated when she died, and then began to hate magic altogether.

~ Adhish
I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. Is there any canon in regards to Petunia and Lily's relationship when they were small? We have quotes from the book about what a freak she was and how resentful Petunia was about Lily always getting attention from her parents, but honestly, doesn't that sound like a lot of sibling relationships? (Maybe its just the people I know ) It says in Book 1 that the Dursley's were aware of what was going on in the Potter's lives (they had been married and had Harry) but that they chose not to have a relationship with them (probably mainly due to Vernon's hatred of anything abnormal). I think Petunia's dislike of magic began when it started to create distance between her and Lily and really gained strength when it was the cause of Lily's death. If so, Petunia could have been privy to many conversations about the magical world and met some of Lily's friends. I don't know if she was a spy, but she certainly could have information which could help Harry in his fight.

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:12 am
Fifth Year

Oh yes these are all very useful points and I also think that they may have been close when they where younger, is there any canon that states their ages and who is older.
I also think that perhaps a letter came for petunia whilst Vernon was at work on the day that James and Lily died before Harry arrived.

Old July 5th, 2007, 4:25 pm
Second Year

This is just a quick thought, and there may be something stating that I'm wrong...but is there any evidence that Lily and Petunia are really blood sisters? They could be half or Lily could have been adopted...

There may be something somewhere stating that this is incorrect, but I can't find a quote or anything...so it's a thought

Old July 5th, 2007, 4:43 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemlia View Post
If so, Petunia could have been privy to many conversations about the magical world and met some of Lily's friends. I don't know if she was a spy, but she certainly could have information which could help Harry in his fight.
Assuming this is true, could it be that Petunia tried to prevent Harry from going to Hogwarts b/c she was being protective?
I mean to Dursleys, of course Petunia wouid state that she wants this magic business to stop, but why would you want to keep an awful boy when you have a chance to put him away in hogwarts?
I know that it just might be the obvious reason that Petunia hates magic, but it also could be the other reason...I mean if Petunia knew the awful things that had happened to her sister in the wizarding world, she may not want those things to happen to harry

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose" - Heda Bejar
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD
Old July 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Second Year

I have always wondered if she cared more for Harry then she let on, but then I also think about all of the terrible things that she has said and done to him. Why would she do those things if she really did care about him more. I can't believe that she would let Vernon treat him that way either...she has to have some control over the situation...after all Vernon's only opinion of the Magical community comes from Petunia, he wasn't familiar with it before Harry came.

No I think that if she is hiding something that it has to be something else, because no matter what if she was trying to protect him and she did love him...well she would have shown it. It's not something she could hide like that.

Old July 5th, 2007, 5:05 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunanNeville View Post
This is just a quick thought, and there may be something stating that I'm wrong...but is there any evidence that Lily and Petunia are really blood sisters? They could be half or Lily could have been adopted...

There may be something somewhere stating that this is incorrect, but I can't find a quote or anything...so it's a thought
They were sisters, both Petunia and Dumbledore say so in canon. DD even states the reason for his leaving Harry with Petunia is that she is his last remaining blood relative.

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Homer Simpson

Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
Old July 5th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Second Year

Yes you are right, I thought about that after I wrote it...lol

Old July 5th, 2007, 5:38 pm
Sixth Year

I make mistakes all the time, lunanneville. I haven't reallly done any regular posting here in about a year. Been mostly going to the arcade. It's good to be back and thinking on things like Petunia. During one of my many re-reads recently, and after reading what JKR has said, I am intrigued by the possibility that she (Petunia) knows more than we have seen. But what and how much is the question. I'm thinking that she might have info that will help Harry when he goes to GOdric's Hollow? Even though things were strained between Lily and Petunia, I would think that maybe (?) P had been to the house, at least once. Or been told about it. The time is getting short for waiting for the answers.

Homer Simpson

Old July 5th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilind View Post
I make mistakes all the time, lunanneville. I haven't reallly done any regular posting here in about a year. Been mostly going to the arcade. It's good to be back and thinking on things like Petunia. During one of my many re-reads recently, and after reading what JKR has said, I am intrigued by the possibility that she (Petunia) knows more than we have seen. But what and how much is the question. I'm thinking that she might have info that will help Harry when he goes to GOdric's Hollow? Even though things were strained between Lily and Petunia, I would think that maybe (?) P had been to the house, at least once. Or been told about it. The time is getting short for waiting for the answers.
I'm glad you are posting again, more opinions are always nice.

Yes, Petunia is an intriguing character. I like think that she will help Harry in some way. Yes, I think that there are only two people who could possibly help Harry with Godric's Hollow, and Petunia is definitely one of them...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies