Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon

Coming Soon in 2012



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:27 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Coming Soon in 2012

Shall we do this one more time? Unfortunately this year's lineup looks pretty bleak to me and if the further decline in quality/creativity is any indication maybe we really are approaching doomsday I mean Brad Pitt starring in a zombie movie? You gotta be kidding me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_film

Here's the ones I think I'm looking forward to-

Red Tails (Cuba Gooding Jr, Terrence Howard, Bryan Cranston)
Safe House (Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds)
This Means War (Tom Hard, Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon)
The Hunger Games (I guess, because everyone can't stop talking 'bout it)
American Reunion
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (Steve Carrell, Keira Knightley)
The Avengers (but have a feeling this is gonna be an EPIC failure)
Rock of Ages (Julianne Hough, Malin Ackerman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Cruise)
The Dark Knight Rises (Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotillard)
Gangster Squad (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Sean Penn, Josh Brolin)
Cogan's Trade (Brad Pitt)
Skyfall (aka Bond 23/directed by Sam Mendes)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Great Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey McGuire, Carey Mulligan, Isla Fischer)
Lincoln (directed by Steven Spielberg)

Yep, that's it. There are a few high profile releases there which promise to be worthwhile but OMG going through the "film in 2012" chart on Wiki I came across sooo much stupidity (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Warm Bodies, Rise of the Guardians, and World War Z...just to name a few) There is something wrong with the people who are making & watching these...

And what is with all the fairy tale re-imaginings? First super hero films, now these, ugh Hollywood has (mostly) no originality anymore.


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 26th, 2012 at 8:51 am.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5926 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
There are a few high profile releases there which promise to be worthwhile but OMG going through the "film in 2012" chart on Wiki I came across sooo much stupidity (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Warm Bodies, Rise of the Guardians, and World War Z...just to name a few) There is something wrong with the people who are making & watching these...
It remains to be seen but the Lincoln film could have some promise given that it is being directed by Timur Bekmambetov and produced by Tim Burton so if nothing else it will be interesting and WWZ has good source material.

They both have the potential to be very good or painful.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:02 pm
gelowo93's Avatar
gelowo93  Female.gif gelowo93 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3629 days
Location: England
Age: 26
Posts: 660
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

I'll probably only see The Hunger Games this year, unless my friends decide to go to the cinema on a whim to see anything that's on. I might see Twilight, but that's really just for the lolz and because we've got into a habit of seeing every one as they come out.

I want to see The Woman In Black because I don't think I've seen Daniel Radcliffe in anything apart from HP, but considering I think it's already out and I'm busy getting back into the routine of uni work I'll most likely end up getting it on DVD rather than seeing it in cinemas.


__________________
Slytherpuff

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 27th, 2012, 2:46 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It remains to be seen but the Lincoln film could have some promise given that it is being directed by Timur Bekmambetov and produced by Tim Burton so if nothing else it will be interesting and WWZ has good source material.

They both have the potential to be very good or painful.
Eh maybe, but I'm getting really tired of all the vampire **** and now there is some new obsession with zombies. That Warm Bodies is described as a zombie love story I haven't read World War Z but the thought of Brad Pitt in a zombie apocalypse movie is ridiculous.


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 27th, 2012 at 2:48 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 27th, 2012, 6:14 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4474 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 30
Posts: 1,728
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Unfortunately this year's lineup looks pretty bleak to me and if the further decline in quality/creativity is any indication maybe we really are approaching doomsday
A year that includes new movies from Tim Burton (two!), Steven Spielberg, Andrew Stanton (his live action debut), Christopher Nolan, Steven Soderbergh, Joss Whedon, Rian Johnson (two for two with the great Brick and The Brothers Bloom), Nicholas Stoller (two for two with the great Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him to the Greek) and Quentin Tarantino, plus the customary wonderful-looking new Pixar movie does not look bleak to me. I can't tell you you're wrong to be cynical, I can't tell you that Hollywood is a beacon of originality. I can say that if you care enough to really look, there are always great filmmakers with great imaginations doing great things. And if things look bleak now, you could always end up coming across some great movies you didn't even know about later on. (For the last few years, some of my favorite movies at the end of the year were ones I had no clue about in January.) The films that I'm excited for will not all be great, but here they are anyway, in various categories:

I expect these to be good
John Carter (directed by Andrew Stanton) (March 9)

Quote:
Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot-tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a Princess who is in desperate need of a savior.
Why: Because of Andrew Stanton, and because this material, 'though I'm not familiar with it, influenced virtually every significant science fiction/fantasy property for the last 100 years.



The Five-Year Engagement (directed by Nicholas Stoller) (written by Jason Segel & Nicholas Stoller) (starring Jason Segel & Emily Blunt) (April 27)

Quote:
A comedy that charts the ups and downs of an engaged couple's relationship.
Why: Because of the winning combination of Nicholas Stoller & Jason Segel, and because I've loved both of Stoller's previous films as director.



The Avengers (Marvel) (directed by Joss Whedon) (screenplay by Joss Whedon) (starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, and Samuel L. Jackson) (May 4)

Why: Because it's a Marvel movie, and I see those no matter what, but more because it's the Avengers movie that Marvel's been building up to for since the first Iron Man.



Dark Shadows (directed by Tim Burton) (starring Johnny Depp, Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer, Chloe Grace Moretz, Jonny Lee Miller, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, and Christopher Lee) (May 11)

Quote:
An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.
Why: Because it's Burton.



Prometheus (directed by Ridley Scott) (starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce, and Charlize Theron) (June 8)

Quote:
A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
Why: Because it's Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi, and it seems very intriguing, and not just because of that whole, "Is it or is it not an Alien prequel?" thing.


Brave (Disney-Pixar) (June 22)

Quote:
Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.
Why: Because it's Pixar.



The Amazing Spider-Man (directed by Marc Webb) (starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Sally Field, and Martin Sheen) (July 3)

Why: Despite the mess that was Spider-Man 3...because it's a Spider-Man movie. This is also a really good cast and crew they've assembled.



The Dark Knight Rises (directed by Christopher Nolan) (starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, and Morgan Freeman) (July 20)

Why: Because it's a Batman movie, because it's a Christopher Nolan movie, because it's the grand conclusion to the excellent Batman trilogy by Nolan, because The Dark Knight was incredible.



Argo (directed by Ben Affleck) (starring Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin, and John Goodman) (September 14)

Quote:
As the Iranian revolution reaches a boiling point, a CIA 'exfiltration' specialist concocts a risky plan to free six Americans who have found shelter at the home of the Canadian ambassador.
Why: Because I've enjoyed both of Ben Affleck's features as director, and this is an interesting premise.



Looper (directed by Rian Johnson) (starring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, and Jeff Daniels) (September 28)

Quote:
A killer who works for the mob of the future recognizes one of his targets as his future self.
Why: Because I've really liked Rian Johnson's first two films, and this is an intriguing concept.



Frankenweenie (directed by Tim Burton) (October 5)

Quote:
Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences.
Why: Because it's Burton, and I'm curious what he's done to expand or revise his "Frankenweenie" short film into a feature.



Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) (starring the voice of John C. Reilly) (November 2)

Quote:
The bad-guy character in a classic game who longs to be a hero brings trouble to his entire arcade after sneaking into a new first-person shooter game and unleashing a deadly enemy.
Why: It's a Disney movie, and even though this we are well out of the golden age of such a thing (and The Princess and the Frog didn't inaugurate a new one, nor did Tangled), I'll always see those, but more than that, I like this idea.



Skyfall (directed by Sam Mendes) (starring Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Berenice Marlohe, Naomie Harris Judi Dench, Ben Whishaw, and Ralph Fiennes) (November 9)

Why: It's a Bond movie. However, this one has an unusually incredible cast, and an unusual premise, sounding more personal without being another "Bond goes out for vengeance and goes rogue" plot (thankfully).



Gravity (directed by Alfonso Cuaron) (starring Sandra Bullock & George Clooney) (November 21)

Quote:
The lone survivor of a space mission to repair the Hubble telescope desperately tries to return to Earth and reunite with her daughter.
Why: The premise, the two leads, and the director.



The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (directed by Peter Jackson) (starring Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis, Luke Evans, Hugo Weaving, Evangeline Lilly, and Cate Blanchett) (December 14)

Why: It's The Hobbit, and I can't wait to go back to Middle-earth.



This Is 40 (written and directed by Judd Apatow) (starring Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Segel, Megan Fox, Melissa McCarthy, Chris O'Dowd, John Lithgow, and Albert Brooks) (December 21)

Quote:
A look at the lives of Pete and Debbie a few years after the events of Knocked Up.
Why: Judd Apatow has a pretty sterling track record as a director, and this is a spin-off of Knocked Up.



Django Unchained (written and directed by Quentin Tarantino) (starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Don Johnson, Tom Wopat, and Samuel L. Jackson) (December 25)

Quote:
With the help of his mentor, a slave-turned-bounty hunter sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.
Why: Because it's Tarantino



Seven Psychopaths (written and directed by Martin McDonagh) (starring Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Abbie Cornish, Sam Rockwell, Gabourey Sidibe, Kevin Corrigan, Tom Waits, and Christopher Walken) (sometime this year)

Quote:
A struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu.
Why: It's Martin McDonagh's sophomore effort after the superb In Bruges.



I'm cautiously optimistic
The Woman in Black (starring Daniel Radcliffe) (February 3)

Quote:
A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals.
Why: I have a fondness for the old-school British haunted house film, and the fact that this is Daniel Radcliffe's first post-Potter film adds a dose of curiosity to it.



Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (directed by Neveldine/Taylor) (starring Nicolas Cage) (February 17)

Why: I kind of liked the first Ghost Rider, but I wanted so much more trashy fun from it. Bringing the Crank team of Neveldine/Taylor onboard - and keeping Nicolas Cage onboard - would seem to ensure that it will be balls-to-the-wall sophomoric fun.



Wanderlust (directed by David Wain) (starring Jennifer Aniston & Paul Rudd) (February 24)

Quote:
Rattled by sudden unemployment, a Manhattan couple surveys alternative living options, ultimately deciding to experiment with living on a rural commune where free love rules.
Why: David Wain's a good comedy director, Aniston and Rudd are good comic actors, and I like the premise.



The Hunger Games (directed by Gary Ross) (starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz, Wes Bentley, and Donald Sutherland) (March 23)

Quote:
Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.
Why: Initially, it was the curiosity factor: "Why is this thing so huge?" Then I heard the plot, and it sounds compelling. The trailer is, too.



The Cabin in the Woods (directed by Drew Goddard) (written by Joss Whedon & Drew Goddard) (April 13)

Quote:
Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.
Why: Joss Whedon wrote it, and I have the feeling it'll be a fun (and maybe more than just fun) Scream-esque horror satire.



Snow White and the Huntsman (directed by Rupert Sanders) (starring Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, and Charlize Theron) (June 1)

Why: Mainly because I'm thinking Charlize Theron will be a fantastic Evil Queen. Fortunately and surprisingly, the rest of it looks pretty good.



Ted (directed by Seth MacFarlane) (starring Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, and the voice of Seth MacFarlane) (July 13)

Quote:
A story centered on a man and his teddy bear, who comes to life as the result of a childhood wish.
Why: I love that premise.



The Bourne Legacy (directed by Tony Gilroy) (starring Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, Joan Allen, Scott Glenn, David Strathairn, and Albert Finney) (August 3)

Why: The curiosity in whether a Bourne movie without Matt Damon or Paul Greengrass (or Doug Liman) can work. It seems like it could very well just be a retread, but we shall see. Tony Gilroy's directed two features so far, and they've both been good, so I won't rule out this one being a success as well.



The Expendables 2 (directed by Simon West) (starring Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Liam Hemsworth, and Arnold Schwarzenegger) (August 17)

Why: That cast is insane! I'm not even much of a big-dumb-action-movie guy, but that cast is insane!



Taken 2 (starring Liam Neeson) (October 5)

Why: Taken was a pleasant surprise, an enjoyably silly thriller that pretty much came out of nowhere and reintroduced us to Liam Neeson: Badass. I doubt this will be a superior or even satisfying sequel, but I hope it'll be fun, Die Hard 2-esque ridiculousness.



The Gangster Squad (directed by Ruben Fleischer) (starring Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, and Sean Penn) (October 12)

Quote:
A chronicle of the LAPD's fight to keep East Coast Mafia types out of Los Angeles in the 1940s and 50s.
Why: That cast, as well as the curiosity of, "Can the director of Zombieland and 30 Minutes or Less make a satisfying straight-up gangster movie?"




Lincoln (directed by Steven Spielberg) (starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Sally Field, and Tommy Lee Jones) (December)

Why: Oh, it's a Spielberg movie with Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, everybody should see it just because it exists.



I'm curious
Mirror Mirror (directed by Tarsem Singh) (starring Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Armie Hammer, and Nathan Lane) (March 30)

Why: I love the casting of onetime-America's Sweetheart Julia Roberts, a sunny Hollywood beauty whose time has, it seems, passed, as the Evil Queen in a retelling of Snow White.



Men in Black 3 (directed by Barry Sonnenfeld) (starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Jermaine Clement, and Emma Thompson) (May 25)

Quote:
Agent J travels in time to MIB's early years in the 1960s, to stop an alien from assassinating his friend Agent K and changing history.
Why: Men in Black II is not the disaster most claim it to be, but it does kind of fall flat, where the first is a sci-fi comedy gem. I want this to be a return to form.



Rock of Ages (directed by Adam Shankman) (starring Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Cruise) (June 15)

Quote:
Set in 1987 Los Angeles, Drew and Sherrie are two young people chasing their dreams in the big city. When they meet, it's love at first sight, though their romance will face a series of challenges.
Why: I think the trailer looks awful, but I am fascinated by this, especially with a cast that includes Cruise, Baldwin, Brand, and Giamatti.



Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (directed by Timur Bekmambetov) (starring Benjamin Walker, Rufus Sewell, Mary Elizabeth Winstead) (June 22)

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.
Why: It's called Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I'm hoping for a goofy, anarchic comedy, but I don't know if that's what we're getting. Part of me wishes this were Spielberg's movie.



Magic Mike (directed by Steven Soderbergh) (starring Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Cody Horn, Matt Bomer, Olivia Munn, and Matthew McConaughey) (June 29)

Quote:
An upstart male stripper is taken under the wing of a more experienced colleagues.
Why: Soderbergh. He's not always great, but he's always interesting.



People Like Us (directed by Alex Kurtzman) (starring Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks, and Michelle Pfeiffer) (June 29)

Quote:
A man is tasked with delivering $150,000 of his deceased father's fortune to the sister he has never met.
Why: The headliners of Pine and Banks, and the directorial debut of Alex Kurtzman. Plus, seeing Michelle Pfeiffer is a too-rare pleasure these days.



Total Recall (directed by Len Wiseman) (starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Ethan Hawke, Bryan Cranston, and Bill Nighy) (August 3)

Quote:
As the nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai vie for supremacy, a factory worker (Farrell) begins to suspect that he's a spy, though he is unaware which side of the fight he's on.
Why: I'm wondering whether something really new can be brought to Total Recall; the 1990 Paul Verhoeven/Arnold Schwarzenegger movie has made such an indelible impression.



The Campaign (directed by Jay Roach) (starring Will Ferrell & Zach Galifianakis) (August 10)

Quote:
Two rival North Carolina politicians with presidential aspirations tangle with one another.
Why: Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis!



The Great Gatsby (directed by Baz Luhrmann) (starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Isla Fisher, Joel Edgerton, and Tobey Maguire) (December 25)

Why: I actually have never read the novel, but there is a serious pedigree on this thing. Whether it does end up being an Oscar heavy-hitter next year, it is one of the crazy-early frontrunners.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)


Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; May 11th, 2012 at 8:34 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 27th, 2012, 6:59 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Well as I think you know, I quite dislike Burton and Tarantino...and Soderbergh and the others have underwhelmed me, with the only exceptions being Nolan and Spielberg of course. I'm not sure this next film of Spielberg's will be anything to get excited over though...


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 27th, 2012 at 7:13 am.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 27th, 2012, 7:02 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4474 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 30
Posts: 1,728
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Well as I think you know, I quite dislike Burton and Tarantino...and Soderbergh and some the others have underwhelmed me, with the one sole exception being Nolan of course.
I know, but I was just saying that for me it hardly looks bleak.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 27th, 2012, 7:57 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

For ****s and giggles I'll run through your list Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
My expectations are high
John Carter (directed by Andrew Stanton) (March 9)
Ok, I had confused with a different Andrew. So this guy directed WALL-E and Toy Story? Well it'll be interesting to see if he can make the jump from animation to live action.

Quote:
The Five-Year Engagement (directed by Nicholas Stoller (starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt) (April 27)
With a few exceptions it is hard for me to get excited about comedies these days because they usually disappoint. More then any other genre I wait for word of mouth now to decide if I should bother. In recent years ones that were worth it are Easy A and Crazy Stupid Love.

Quote:
The Avengers (directed by Joss Whedon) (starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, and Samuel L. Jackson) (May 4)
As already noted I foresee this being an epic failure. How does it even make sense that these characters co-exist?

Quote:
Dark Shadows (directed by Tim Burton) (starring Johnny Depp, Eva Green, Jonny Lee Miller, Jackie Earle Haley, Helena Bonham Carter, Chloe Grace Moretz, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Christopher Lee) (May 11)
No thanks

Quote:
Prometheus (directed by Ridley Scott) (starring Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron) (June 8)
Normally I would be excited about a Ridley Scott directorial, but not when it's related to the Alien films.

Quote:
Brave (Pixar) (June 22)
This sounds worse then Alice in Wonderland...

Quote:
The Amazing Spider-Man (directed by Marc Webb) (starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Sally Field, and Martin Sheen) (July 3)
I have no desire to see a Spider-Man reboot.

Quote:
The Dark Knight Rises (directed by Christopher Nolan) (starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Matthew Modine, and Morgan Freeman) (July 20)
Not much needs to be said about this...Nolan has a perfect track record and unless the final film of his Batman trilogy goes terribly wrong (ala Spidy 3) you can make that 8 for 8.

Quote:
Argo (directed by Ben Affleck) (starring Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, and Alan Arkin) (September 14)
I had forgotten about this one actually, but Gone Baby Gone and The Town were pretty excellent so this could be promising.

Quote:
Looper (directed by Rian Johnson) (starring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt, and Paul Dano) (September 28)
Was not impressed by either Brick or the Brothers Bloom and I'm not a fan of Bruce Willis either.

Quote:
Frankenweenie (directed by Tim Burton) (October 5)
Yikes

Quote:
Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) (November 2)
What the heck is this?

Quote:
Skyfall (directed by Sam Mendes) (starring Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Berenice Marlohe, Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Judi Dench, and Albert Finney) (November 9)
Mendes is one of the best modern directors (Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) but it'll be interesting to see how well or not he meshes with the Bond franchise since it's quite different fare then he's used to.

Quote:
Gravity (directed by Alfonso Cuaron) (starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock) (November 21)
I'll give Cuaron the benefit of the doubt since he directed the masterpiece Children of Men and one of the better Potter films, but I don't care for the sound of this project...like A Space Odyssey 2001 remake, and it was bad enough the first time around.

Quote:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (directed by Peter Jackson) (December 14)
This goes without saying.

Quote:
This Is 40 (directed by Judd Apatow) (starring Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Segel, Megan Fox, and John Lithgow) (December 21)
Is this the one that was being called Project X for a while?

Quote:
Django Unchained (directed by Quentin Tarantino) (starring Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kurt Russell, Don Johnson, and Samuel L. Jackson) (December 25)
Tarantino directing a spaghetti western? Just kill me know...

Quote:
The Woman in Black (directed by James Watkins) (starring Daniel Radcliffe) (February 3)
Yeah, I kinda want to see this.

Quote:
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (directed by Neveldine/Taylor) (starring Nicolas Cage) (February 17)
You've got to be kidding me...a sequel to one of the worst films of the last decade?

Quote:
Wanderlust (directed by David Wain) (starring Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd) (February 24)
I can't really stand Jennifer Aniston any more and has she ever been in a good film?

Quote:
The Hunger Games (directed by Gary Ross) (starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, and Donald Sutherland) (March 23)
The March release date doesn't seem too promising, but as I said, this series seems to have grabbed everyone's attention for some reason. Just so long as it's not a Twilight replacement, lol

Quote:
The Cabin in the Woods (directed by Drew Goddard) (April 13)
Sounds sorta interesting, though I'm not a fan of horror movies.

Quote:
Snow White and the Huntsman (directed by Rupert Sanders) (starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, and Chris Hemsworth) (June 1)
Can we stop with the fairy tale re-imaginings already?!

Quote:
Ted (directed by Seth MacFarlane) (starring Mark Wahlberg, Seth MacFarlane, and Mila Kunis) (July 13)
I honestly have no knowledge of this and I'm too lazy right now to look it up

Quote:
The Bourne Legacy (directed by Tony Gilroy) (starring Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, and Joan Allen) (August 3)
I love the Bourne films, but this one isn't based on Ludlum's books, right? And with no Damon, hmm...

Quote:
The Expendables 2 (directed by Simon West) (starring Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, Liam Hemsworth, and Arnold Schwarzenegger) (August 17)
The first one not bad enough?

Quote:
Taken 2 (directed by Olivier Megaton) (starring Liam Neeson) (October 5)
Um, Taken was pretty good but is a sequel necessary?

Quote:
World War Z (directed by Marc Forster) (starring Brad Pitt) (December 12)
I've already stated my thoughts on this.

Quote:
Lincoln directed by Steven Spielberg) (starring Daniel Day-Lewis) (December)
Same

Quote:
Mirror Mirror (directed by Tarsem Singh) (starring Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, and Armie Hammer) (March 30)
You mean there are TWO Snow White re-imaginings coming out in the same year?! God help us...

Quote:
The Dictator (directed by Larry Charles) (starring Sacha Baron Cohen) (May 11)
I don't know what this is about but that Sasha Baron Cohen irks me.

Quote:
Men in Black 3 (directed by Barry Sonnenfeld) (starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Jermaine Clement, and Emma Thompson) (May 25)
Who asked for a 3rd one?

Quote:
Rock of Ages (directed by Adam Shankman) (starring Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, and Alec Baldwin) (June 15)
Now this could be pretty awesome. I mean music from Foreigner, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. Hell yea!

Quote:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (directed by Timur Bekmambetov) (June 22)
The title alone is absolutely ridiculous

Quote:
Magic Mike (directed by Steven Soderbergh) (June 29)
A movie about male strippers? hmm, no thanks.

Quote:
The Great Gatsby (directed by Baz Luhrmann) (starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan) (December 25)
Sure, why not? Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet, Strictly Ballroom) is a visionary director and that's a great cast list.


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 27th, 2012 at 8:47 am.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 27th, 2012, 9:19 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4474 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 30
Posts: 1,728
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
As already noted I foresee this being an epic failure. How does it even make sense that these characters co-exist?
I don't understand. Why can't they co-exist? The comic books have a shared Marvel universe, but more to the point, the two Iron Man movies, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America have all been deliberately and clearly building up to this Avengers team-up movie. They've made no secret of that. Marvel owns the film rights to all of those characters, so they're making a point of having a shared film universe now. There's nothing that doesn't make sense there. Now, it's a really demanding project, with a big cast to balance, and it could very well turn out horribly. Joss Whedon's not an experienced feature director, but he's great at balancing big ensembles on TV, and he's proven himself as a comic book writer over the years. Plus, I've liked most of those recent Marvel movies. So I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
No thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Yikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Tarantino directing a spaghetti western? Just kill me know...
Yes, once again, I realize you hate Burton and Tarantino. I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
This sounds worse then Alice in Wonderland...
You mean Burton's? I don't really get the comparison to Alice in Wonderland - other than that they're both fairy tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
What the heck is this?
"The bad-guy character in a classic game who longs to be a hero brings trouble to his entire arcade after sneaking into a new first-person shooter game and unleashing a deadly enemy."

Disney's next, and directed by Rich Moore, who I know as one of the great directors on The Simpsons and Futurama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
You've got to be kidding me...a sequel to one of the worst films of the last decade?
I think it's too much to call it one of the worst of the decade, but this one looks like a significant improvement. Neveldine/Taylor made the Crank movies, which are not exactly what you'd call "good movies" in the usual sense, but they're ridiculous, balls-to-the-wall fun in their way, and it looks like they've brought that kind of energy to Ghost Rider, so I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
The March release date doesn't seem too promising, but as I said, this series seems to have grabbed everyone's attention for some reason. Just so long as it's not a Twilight replacement, lol
March isn't really synonymous with "bad" or "mediocre" anymore; the studious seem to be making a real push to expand the "summer movie season" and start it in, well, March. And from the descriptions I've heard of the books and this film, it has no resemblance to Twilight. The protagonist is a teenage girl, that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Can we stop with the fairy tale re-imaginings already?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
You mean there are TWO Snow White re-imaginings coming out in the same year?! God help us...
Well...yeah, it is kind of unfortunate, because neither looks great. I groan and roll my eyes when I read about another "dark reimagining" of a classic fairy tale going into development, but these are stories that are never going to stop being told, and who's to say these can't be good? I think Snow White and the Huntsman actually looks pretty good; Mirror Mirror does not. Snow White and the Huntsman is (or at least is being sold as) a much grimmer action-adventure, Mirror Mirror appears to be a painfully tone-deaf comedy. I want Mirror Mirror to be better than it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Who asked for a 3rd one?
Barry Sonnenfeld? That's the only one I can think of - still, I love the first, and I like aspects of the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Now this could be pretty awesome. I mean music from Foreigner, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. Hell yea!
I actually think it looks terrible. But in a way that has me feeling like I have to witness the terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
The title alone is absolutely ridiculous
Which is why I need to see it. I have the feeling it's all in the title, and won't live up to that gimmick, but time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
The first one not bad enough?
Actually, no. It's weird, I'm not a part of the generation these movies are going after - I saw a lot of Schwarzenegger movies when I was younger, but not a lot of Stallone or Dolph Lundgren or Van Damme or Chuck Norris - and I tend to prefer my action movies a bit less insanely dumb and overly muscled. And yet, something about the sheer volume of macho ridiculousness - with an even bigger cast this time - has me saying, "I have to see that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Um, Taken was pretty good but is a sequel necessary?
Not even a little bit. It will probably be pretty bad, but the presence of Liam Neeson: Badass is awesome these days.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)


Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 27th, 2012 at 9:22 am.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 28th, 2012, 1:04 am
RikuStark's Avatar
RikuStark  Female.gif RikuStark is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3099 days
Location: In the TARDIS
Age: 25
Posts: 598
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

At the moment these are the only movies I'm going to pay money to see this year. The rest that I'm interested in can wait until I see them on DVD or a movie channel.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Woman in Black
The Hunger Games


__________________
Gryffindor on Pottermore & CoS.
Wand: 12 1/2 in, Apple, Dragon, Pliant
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 30th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4438 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Two films I am very much looking forward to in 2012:

- Prometheus

Ridley Scott's prequel to the Alien mythos. It can't possibly be as good as his 1979 masterpiece. But it does sound like it will be a dark, nihilistic trip. And it has a great cast.

- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Enough said.

Also The Woman in Black ... if I'm brave enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Normally I would be excited about a Ridley Scott directorial, but not when it's related to the Alien films.
Wow, really, LC? Alien is a masterpiece, IMO. Right alongside Blade Runner.


__________________

Last edited by Pearl_Took; January 31st, 2012 at 3:19 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 30th, 2012, 7:28 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Wow, really, LC? Alien is a masterpiece, IMO. Right alongside Blade Runner.
Well I suppose it's quite funny because I like classics (though I really dislike the 70's decade for film) but I have an apathy towards Ridley Scott's earlier work similar to that of Scorsese. Besides, don't you know I dislike sci-fi? Not that Scorsese has ever done sci-fi; I dislike his earlier work for other reasons Though Taxi Driver and Blade Runner do have one thing in common; they're both a tedious bore.

Nevertheless I really enjoy both director's new millennium stuff. For Ridley Scott this would be Gladiator (in my Top 10), Black Hawk Down, and American Gangster. Body of Lies, A Good Year, and Robin Hood are pretty good as well.

BTW, if interested my review of Blade Runner can be found in this post - http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1101


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 30th, 2012 at 7:36 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 31st, 2012, 2:46 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4438 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Though Taxi Driver and Blade Runner do have one thing in common; they're both a tedious bore.
Taxi Driver is horrifying and Blade Runner a beautiful, hypnotic dark dream. I find it as tedious as Rear Window: which is to say, not at all.

Quote:
Nevertheless I really enjoy both director's new millennium stuff. For Ridley Scott this would be Gladiator (in my Top 10), Black Hawk Down, and American Gangster. Body of Lies, A Good Year, and Robin Hood are pretty good as well.
I loved Gladiator. Robin Hood was watchable, but my definitive Robin Hood movie has yet to be made.

Quote:
BTW, if interested my review of Blade Runner can be found in this post - http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1101
I think Blade Runner is a greater film than Inception. I guess it might be hard for people today to realise just how ground-breaking and influential both those Ridley Scott masterpieces, Alien and Blade Runner, were. The Director's Cut of Blade Runner, which cuts out the commentary and has a more ambiguous ending, is the superior version.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 31st, 2012, 2:55 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5926 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Wow, really, LC? Alien is a masterpiece, IMO. Right alongside Blade Runner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Well I suppose it's quite funny because I like classics (though I really dislike the 70's decade for film) but I have an apathy towards Ridley Scott's earlier work similar to that of Scorsese. Besides, don't you know I dislike sci-fi?
Alien has always suffered from mislabelling. Despite the sci-fi trappings it is straight up horror.


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 31st, 2012, 3:17 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4438 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Alien has always suffered from mislabelling. Despite the sci-fi trappings it is straight up horror.
Yep. Haunted house in space. I dislike horror as a genre, so this is one of the very, very few horror films I actually enjoy, let alone have a high regard for. I certainly think it's one of the best ever made.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 31st, 2012, 4:47 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I think Blade Runner is a greater film than Inception. I guess it might be hard for people today to realise just how ground-breaking and influential both those Ridley Scott masterpieces, Alien and Blade Runner, were. The Director's Cut of Blade Runner, which cuts out the commentary and has a more ambiguous ending, is the superior version.
I can't agree, and I saw the director's cut.

It may have been an inspiration for Nolan, but Inception's ambiguous ending is exceptionally better, as is the entire film itself really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Alien has always suffered from mislabelling. Despite the sci-fi trappings it is straight up horror.
LOL, um that's even worse then. Sci-fi and Horror, the genres I dislike the most (unless it's psychological horrror, like Psycho)

But perhaps we should return to discussing 2012 films...


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 31st, 2012 at 5:30 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 31st, 2012, 5:50 pm
yorkiedoodle's Avatar
yorkiedoodle  Female.gif yorkiedoodle is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3058 days
Location: Beautiful Yorkshire
Age: 57
Posts: 522
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Films I'm looking forward to:-

Carnage - Jodie Foster, Kate Winslett

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Judie Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Dev Patel

The Woman in Black - Dan Radcliffe, Janet McTeer, Ciaran Hinds, Shaun Dooley

The Dark Knight Rises - Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

The Hobbit - Martin Freeman, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee, Andy Serkis, Ian Holm.... I could go on listing the cast but I'll be a while....

i am looking forward to 2012!


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 9th, 2012, 1:57 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

So, after seeing some recent ads I really want to see The Vow! It looks like a touching story and I've enjoyed everything the main stars have been in (The Notebook, Time Traveler's Wife, Wedding Crashers, Mean Girls, Sherlock Holmes, Midnight in Paris, etc for Rachel McAdams and Dear John and Step Up for Channing Tatum)

Unfortunately I've got nobody to go see it with and I'd feel really lame going to the theatre by myself around this depressing holiday...

EDIT:

There actually are a few girls I could ask (dance friends and a few met on OkCupid), but for a first date I don't know about the following:

1. movie (heard it's generally a poor idea since there's not much interaction)
2. around or on Valentine's (too much pressure and/or expectations? )

Those just seem like a bad mix Guess I'll wait until it hits DVD and then watch it by myself at home or with a girl by then if I'm lucky.


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; February 9th, 2012 at 2:17 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 10th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5926 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

I'm looking forward to Iron Sky. Space Nazis v Sarah Palin; what's not to like?


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 10th, 2012, 8:18 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4354 days
Age: 32
Posts: 5,657
Re: Coming Soon in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I'm looking forward to Iron Sky. Space Nazis v Sarah Palin; what's not to like?
LOL, what the...

Is this for real? That tagline, oh my- "The Battle for Earth is Gonna Get Nazi"


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:56 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.