First Year

Cross country

Does anyone run in cross country?

If so, do you like it?

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2007, 3:22 pm
Second Year

Re: Cross country

I run cross country for my high school and i postively love it!!!!!!

Old March 17th, 2008, 9:52 pm
First Year

No i absolutely hate it. We do practice's for like 5 weeks, then we have the actual cross county event, where the whole school is watching. And there is this one area near the beginning where everyone is either side of the track just screaming and screaming. It's quite pathetic actually. Whatever i don't really care about it. Just walk with my friends - hey it's a good chance to catch up with gossip!

Old March 20th, 2008, 9:36 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I used to run in cross-country races in my late teens, OK, OK, it's twenty years ago now, EEKKK! However, my body hasn't really changed since then and nowadays I stick to road races, especially marathons and I managed to beat my personal best over 10k (standing since 1989) last year, it's now at 46 minutes and 47 seconds.

Old March 21st, 2008, 9:16 pm
Third Year

omg! i LOVEEEEEEEEEE cross country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i run it too omg its amazing i love running... but then i love all sports :P

Old March 22nd, 2008, 4:03 pm
First Year

This was my first year doing cross-country.

I think I've shed more tears at practice's than the actual meets.

I'm now in track, and I really miss cross-country. I'm totally doing it next school year.

"You haven't got a godfather!"
"Yes. I have," said Harry brightly. "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murdered, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with my news...check if I'm happy...."
~PoA, last page.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post
46 minutes and 47 seconds.
Hey, that's pretty good! The research is showing that women peak in endurance athletics in their mid 30's. Natacha Badman won her last Ironman Championship at 38. But even non-elite female athletes continue to improve for a while.

I was never able to do x-c running in HS because my knees were too painful, but I love trail running now and wish I could have run more. Though my tri times would maybe have suffered because I wouldn't be the swimmer I am now...

There's something about just being on your feet out in the woods, kinda pure.

Brute force crushes many plants. Yet the plants rise again. The Pyramids will not last a moment compared with the daisy. And before Buddha or Jesus spoke the nightingale sang, and long after the words of Jesus and Buddha are gone into oblivion the nightingale still will sing. Because it is neither preaching nor commanding nor urging. It is just singing. And in the beginning was not a Word, but a chirrup.
-- D. H. Lawrence, Etruscan Places

Coretta Scott King[/size]: "Many despair at all the evil and unrest and disorder in the world today, but I see a new social order and I see the dawn of a new day." "
"In the fight for social justice, no one shall again be left behind" ~ addressing the people at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Annual Conference.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 6:28 pm
Fourth Year

I started out as always doing track every year(for 6 years so far). When I got to high school track, one of my coaches for track was also the cross country coach at our school. I didn't talk to him very much since he was only working with the distance runners. This year he decided that he would work more with everyone. I have always been a sprinter but he kept telling me I should join cross country because he thinks I would do good. So eventually I gave in. Training started for next year and so far I love it! I think it'll be a lot of fun when school restarts. I guess I probably won't be a sprinter in track next year. Most likely I'll be doing distance...

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:04 pm
First Year

I think people are either runners or they're not. I loved being on XC in high school but as that saying goes, "our sport is your sport's punishment," it's not for everyone because plenty of people do see it as punishment.

But I love running, I run about 30 miles/week and I hate going a day without it.

Old August 9th, 2010, 1:59 am
Fourth Year

I hate going a day without running too. It feels weird. Cross country officially starts tomorrow! I'm so excited to finally really start!

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old November 26th, 2010, 3:32 am
First Year

been in it for 4 years, and i've a love-hate relationship with it. now that i stopped, i sorta missed the it. it's a whole lot more fun than track imo.

Old November 26th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Third Year

I ran cross-country and track all through middle and high school! I loved every minute of cross-country. I started off a rather slow and not very accomplished runner with no natural talent or ability. I think my first 5k freshman year I ran in 27 minutes. I ended up captaining the team for the last two years and running 23 minutes (not great, but a drastic improvement from 27).

I now help coach both the track and cross-country teams at the high school I teach and, if possible, I love coaching the sport even more than I loved it in high school. I run most workouts with the team, which is often very encouraging for those who were like me in high school and lacking in the natural talent or mental toughness to complete the run.

I have nothing but love for cross country!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:32 pm
First Year

Absolutely love running! This upcoming season will be my sixth and final year of highschool XC *gasp!*

Although it is winter, I still go for runs on week-ends to flaunt my spandex (kidding, i hate running in public... i run in the mountains where i live)

Old February 24th, 2011, 8:36 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

@Leonian: You are lucky to have mountains where you can run, I live next to a main road in London and when I did the Laugarvegur Ultramarathon (35 miles through the Icelandic mountains, heading towards THE famous volcano) last year it wasn't my fitness I struggled with but my footing!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports