Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Gotham--Fox TV series

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:37 pm
Curse Breaker

Gotham--Fox TV series

About 12 hours ago, I was much happier to be trying to start this thread as it doesn't exist yet.

This show is probably the most promising of the new season. It's on Mondays at 8 pm ET on Fox in the U.S. I encourage all and sundry to give it a look. It has a talented showrunner (Bruno Heller, creator of The Mentalist, a solid cast including Ben Mackenzie, Donal Logue, and Jada Pinkett Smith, and an interesting, if familiar premise.

What does Gotham, the wonderful, brutal city that spawned heroes and villains look, sound, and smell like?

It follows Jim Gordon, a green but tenacious detective who has returned to Gotham after time in the military as he tries to get the lay of the land while investigating the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. There are plenty of glimpses of the young Rogues Gallery, and even a new entrant into organized crime (Fish Mooney played by Pinkett-Smith).

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2014, 9:13 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Gotham--Fox TV series

Okay, we're about four episodes in. Only one of the recurring characters who's shown up so far is a mystery to me. I like impish Selena Kyle. I like McKenzie's Gordon and Logue's Harvey Bullock. This version of Cobblepot is a lot more intriguing than any other version I've ever run across, but he has the whiny Vincent Kartheiser bearing that makes him tough to take in large doses, even if he has considerable animal cunning.

Old October 21st, 2014, 2:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

cobblepot and selina are stealing the show for me.

I like that bruce is on a mission now.

I thought i would really like gordon and while I like the nice guy in a bad corrupt world, he's somewhat underwhelming in comparison to the others.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old October 21st, 2014, 6:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Cobblepot isn't bright enough to be this ambitious, and he isn't charming enough to compensate for how he looks. It's like he split the difference between the rich guy of the comics and animated series and Danny DeVito's awful THING. He's just not careful enough to live. He is cunning and ambitious, but the smarts aren't there. Like Pete in Mad Men it's a shame and a mystery someone hasn't physically ripped him in half yet. Not a great mix for an ongoing villain.

Young Bruce is much better as a detective than as a tortured soul, and militant Alfred is entertaining. It'll be interesting to see the Richie Rich moment when Young Bruce steps into the courtroom and uses his inheritance and Alfred as proxy to clean house.

I like David Zayas as Maroni...but not long-term. And I find myself stunningly bored with Fish Mooney's games within games within games. I am relieved that Bane isn't a street musician, though. That would be sad. Not any more gripping than Montoya's obsession with Barbara which...WHY?

Old November 3rd, 2014, 8:21 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, so the first quarter or so of the season is Penguin's "origin story." Some of it's interesting, some of it is stupid. Some of it is aggravating, but it mostly works.

Young Bruce's best mode so far seems to be junior detective. It was refreshing to see that once upon a time, Bullock was a Loveable Lug for Justice. Maybe Jim will rub off on him as the season progresses. I'm going to have to harden myself to the annoying presence of the Judgmental MCU partnership
Spoiler: show
since both actually don hero masks of their own in a couple continua.

Old November 4th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

I'm really like penguin. His character is so twisted... so much double and triple crossing makes it really interesting. I'm sure he's mostly in all this for himself, but it's funny to watch him "waddle" about.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old November 4th, 2014, 5:07 pm
Curse Breaker

We finally saw the next layer of his deception, and it proved worth the wait. He may be a more interesting character after all, but that Peter Pettigrew mask of his is very VERY annoying. He needs a new dodge.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television