Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Gilmore Girls v.2

Old May 10th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Third Year

Re: Gilmore Girls v.2

Okay I know I'm going to get it from you guys but I'm glad the show is ending.

I have been watching since it first started seven years ago, and was glad to see certain things happen. I was happy when luke and Lorelai got together, but then disappointed how she ended up marrying Christopher. Then eneded up divorcing him. I mean really what was the point of puting Luke and Lorelai together after so many seasons of will they or won't they, and then not ending up together.

As for Rory well I'm glad she got her priorties right, finishing college becoming a journalist. Also that her and Logan came to an end. There is so much more for her to see and experience that she can't and didn't take the easy way out in marrying Logan.

So I think it is the right time for this show to end. It was the only show that I watched and cared about on the CW.

And so at last I was forced to put the world
behind me and go and hide. I made myself
a hole to hide in, pulled the hole in behind me,
and there I was: nowhere.

-Greatghalont Archwizard of the
play, Endings In Innarlith by
Skamart Thallea. Elminster Series.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:04 am
Curse Breaker

It's a good stopping place for the year--but the same reason you're tired, is the reason I need another year. I want that wedding with the ketchup dispenser and the lobster and Lorelai so happy she's goofy and walking into walls and doors. I want to see her pregnant with Leopold and Loeb with Luke hiding her black coffee. The alarm-clock massacre may be five years late, but I want to see it actually happen.

ETA--There's a piece of a post I had on the Veronica Mars thread that comments on the state of things at CW, that I thought was relevant here. Remember--these CW people are IDIOTS! I just got my next week's TV Guide and do you know why Gilmore Girls got cancelled? They're SO confident with their upcoming pilot season that they felt they didn't NEED GG!! AAGH!! I looked at a synopsis of their pilots and the most promising thing was a Brimstone retread. Hello, CW? Do you know WHY Brimstone was a minor hit for Fox before they yanked it unceremoniously? John Glover played the Devil so well he deserved an Emmy (or maybe free psychotherapy). Is he available? Do you have him in the same role now, because Lionel Luthor is about to get axed from Smallville? If not, you're in for a big crash! And if you're so freakin' confident about the pilot season why not cut away a bloated hyperexpensive albatross like, say 7th Heaven? Pretty please? Morons, complete morons.... Okay, I'm back.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; May 11th, 2007 at 12:21 am.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:59 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
It's a good stopping place for the year--but the same reason you're tired, is the reason I need another year. I want that wedding with the ketchup dispenser and the lobster and Lorelai so happy she's goofy and walking into walls and doors. I want to see her pregnant with Leopold and Loeb with Luke hiding her black coffee. The alarm-clock massacre may be five years late, but I want to see it actually happen.
First, I so agree with everything. Aha, I loved that dream scene. Too bad it's the closest we'll ever get to Luke and Lorelai happily married with kids.

I've hated the past two seasons, but they could have at least have given us good closure. They filmed these last episodes before the cancellation, so how satisfying are the really gonna be?

Quote:
ETA--There's a piece of a post I had on the Veronica Mars thread that comments on the state of things at CW, that I thought was relevant here. Remember--these CW people are IDIOTS! I just got my next week's TV Guide and do you know why Gilmore Girls got cancelled? They're SO confident with their upcoming pilot season that they felt they didn't NEED GG!!
Weird, I keep hearing that Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham didn't want to do another full season, and that they both wanted a shorter, 8 episode season, but the CW didn't think that 8 episodes were worth it so they axed the show.

Old May 11th, 2007, 2:53 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:

ETA--There's a piece of a post I had on the Veronica Mars thread that comments on the state of things at CW, that I thought was relevant here. Remember--these CW people are IDIOTS! I just got my next week's TV Guide and do you know why Gilmore Girls got cancelled? They're SO confident with their upcoming pilot season that they felt they didn't NEED GG!! AAGH!! I looked at a synopsis of their pilots and the most promising thing was a Brimstone retread. Hello, CW? Do you know WHY Brimstone was a minor hit for Fox before they yanked it unceremoniously? John Glover played the Devil so well he deserved an Emmy (or maybe free psychotherapy). Is he available? Do you have him in the same role now, because Lionel Luthor is about to get axed from Smallville? If not, you're in for a big crash! And if you're so freakin' confident about the pilot season why not cut away a bloated hyperexpensive albatross like, say 7th Heaven? Pretty please? Morons, complete morons.... Okay, I'm back.
As much as I agree with you, please watch the name-calling. Thanks.

At least Lorelai and Luke are ending on a positive note, and we know it's definitely over between Lorelai and Chris. That's one bridge she definitely won't be wondering about crossing again.

Old May 11th, 2007, 3:09 am
First Year

At the end of the show before this week I immediatly called one of my good friends to discuss. We said that Rory would turn down Logan, but wouldn't break up. Luke and Loreali (sorry I think that's spelled wrong) would do SOMETHING, and Rory under no circumstances would move to CALIFORNIA! We were right, but I was knid of shcoked when Logan just cut it off. It reminded me of another all- or- nothing situation. (ahem, Luke and Loreali) But, this time Rory was LUKE and Logan was LOREALI!!!! Luke wasn't ready so Loreali broke up with him. I just thought that it was a coinsidental flip of power. I am so VERY depressed about only ONE more episode! I'm even more mad that its not 2 hours! I though you know, seires finale they would give us a little bit more, but I was sadly disapponted. What will I watch on Tuesday night???!!!???

Read my FANFIC! (You and I Collide) And then REVIEW!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old May 11th, 2007, 4:08 pm
Curse Breaker

Sorry, Pegasus--I read the blurb in TV Guide and my entire world went crimson. I shouldn't have wanted to vent like I did, but it felt great to do so. I was happy to note that while Gilmore Girls get a premature end for a ridiculous reason--whether it was because the brass were overly optimistic on what looks like a LEAN crop of pilots, or because 8 episodes is "too short" for a re-up contract (I'd have felt kind of cheated myself, but if they're actual episodes and not pilot auditions eight episodes is eight episodes--we might actually see one wedding--Lorelai and Luke--and hear about another--Paris and Doyle). I don't buy the second reason--I'm sure if the CW had really twisted their arms--Alexis and Lauren would have signed on for a half-order, 13 episodes, most of which could run before the insanity of Idol really kicks in. Oh, and I'm as relieved as you are that we've finally seen the amicable end of Lorelai and Christopher.

TimeTurner--It might have reminded you of Luke and Lorelai--but Lorelai's been doing that patented two-step with a series of boyfriends, starting with Max and including Jason Stiles. It felt more like Lorelai and Christopher--Christopher wanting her to jump and her agreeing but not agreeing to end her Stars Hollow life--a move that gave her enough time to regain her senses.

There were a lot of Lorelai and Max parallels to what happened with Rory and Logan.

ETA--The network does seem to be burning a little of the chaff along with the wheat. 7th Heaven is getting a second series finale. Can I get everyone to promise that the most they'll do is DVR the ep, so there isn't a huge ratings surge that prompts the CW to reinstate 7th Heaven in their desperation to fill a slot when the pilots don't pan out? Please?

Last edited by jordmundt6; May 11th, 2007 at 4:17 pm.
Old May 16th, 2007, 4:41 am
First Year

I was so disappointed with the series finale. I kept waiting for Logan to show up and say he made a mistake! I liked how they got Luke and Lorelai back together at the end but there was no Logan. Logan had become one of my favorite characters on the show. I think he was good for Rory because they were different. Someone to broaden her life as long as he curved certain habits I thought they would be happy together...why did it end?!?!?!?!?!?

Old May 16th, 2007, 4:43 am
Fourth Year

It's over!!!!!!
i haven't watched in ages, but i heard the finale was on tonight, so i had to see it. it was so sad, i was crying!
lol all the gilmore girl's fans will be following barack obama's campaign to see what happens to rory. so we will know if it is two months or two years.
but i actually missed so much, i had no idea what was going on. i have to get all the dvds and watch them. but i kind of felt like there could be more to this episode.

Old May 16th, 2007, 4:46 am
Zonko's Employee

So, I have to admit, I loved the final episode. I would have loved more time to develop Luke and Lorelai, but we left Rory in a good place. I cried, too.

Old May 16th, 2007, 4:48 am
First Year

I thought the final episode was really good. I'm so glad Luke and Lorelai got together. I wasn't disappointed at all, though I wasn't really expecting much.

Old May 16th, 2007, 4:55 am
First Year

Here is a petition to bring the series back enough to give it a better closure. Thought I'd spread the word......

http://gilmoregirlspetition.wetpaint.com/

Old May 16th, 2007, 5:11 am
Zonko's Employee

Hm. I signed a similar petition for Everwood a year ago, then found out they'd already repainted the set for a new program. Good luck with that, though.

Old May 16th, 2007, 5:22 am
Second Year

I cried also!! I felt ok with how they left the main characters, but it was still sad. I was also crying because as a mom, I could only imagine how hard it would be to see my daughter off to a new career without knowing when and how often we would see each other. I really would like to have a follow-up show with a wedding and an update on how Rory's career panned out.

I did think it was a little odd not to have Rory at least phone Christopher to tell him about her job. All of the other characters were there. ( Actually they didn't show Mrs. Kim did they? )

I'll have to watch them all from episode one when the dvd of season 7 comes out. Well , as we Potter fans know, all good things must come to an end!

Old May 16th, 2007, 6:36 am
Curse Breaker

Pegasus, Oreo--As a season finale, it was excellent--so much promise and continuation (though a throwaway job, even one as classy as the one she got is beneath Rory--but hey, maybe some field experience). I was pleased with the good-natured revolt against Taylor and his craziness--Luke better watch out or he might end up as a write-in for Town Selectman--or whatever that job is (where in the world is the Mayor by the way? Did that actor die? I hope not, he was quite good). I wish they hadn't mentioned Dave Rigowski, all it did was highlight Zach's shortcomings--which is too bad, he's a good guy and good for Lane--and, hopefully, a good father to their twins.

I totally bought the interaction between Lorelai and Rory and I loved Luke and the grand gesture he made that sort of encapsulated how he's been living his entire life for Lorelai all these years--but I WANT MORE than just a single stupid kiss. I want Leopold and Loeb--and, failing that--at least a solid wedding with the lobster and the ketchup dispenser and the whole nine yards.

As for a petition--I think that'll fall on deaf ears--Melissa McCarthy's signed on for a pilot. Amy's new pilot got picked up by FOX of all networks. The brain trust is breaking up too soon.

Last edited by jordmundt6; November 29th, 2007 at 12:09 am.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:18 am
Third Year

I was sad to have the series end, but that was a great episode. I was worried as I have not enjoyed this season, but they pulled it off. I laughed and cried all the way through. I was so glad they solidified the relationship between Lorelai and her mother. It was good to have all the Gilmore Girls together.

I laughed so hard at Taylors speech. His character sort of summed up the town of loveable and goofy people. Luke came through like a champ and not only showed his love for Lorelai, but how he sees Rory as a daughter.

Yes, the kiss wasn't nearly enough, but I think the commitment came through with the necklace. Sometimes less is more. In my mind they will marry and live happily ever after.

Proud member of Ravenclaw
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:31 am
Zonko's Employee

I'm sure that's why Lauren Graham wanted to leave it there. The most recent quote I've been able to find from her is that it would be a real disappointment for her if the show did end with a wedding, because this show, to her, has always been about "What if your best friend was your parent?"

Old May 17th, 2007, 4:55 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, two of Rory's three best friends are her parents. I thought the TV Guide blurb was interesting (the breaking news interview in the new TV Guide) because she talked about arguing for a different romantic complication instead of the ridiculous Lorelai-Chris tryst-marriage.

Old May 17th, 2007, 5:10 pm
Zonko's Employee

I agree that was quite ridiculous, but in a way it was a good thing, because it settled the whole Lorelai-Chris ship.

Old May 17th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, but--y'know, I'd have thought that Chris showing up drunk and belligerent to Emily & Richard's vow renewal would have...SHOULD have done that. It feels like an extraordinary amount of pain and damage for only a tiny little benefit. They better organize a reunion movie that the Palladinos write and direct after Amy's Fox series crashes and burns. (I don't wish her ill, but I'd be shocked if it came close to GG in quality and I KNOW that Fox won't have patience with it).

Old May 18th, 2007, 5:09 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset03 View Post
I was so disappointed with the series finale. I kept waiting for Logan to show up and say he made a mistake! I liked how they got Luke and Lorelai back together at the end but there was no Logan. Logan had become one of my favorite characters on the show. I think he was good for Rory because they were different. Someone to broaden her life as long as he curved certain habits I thought they would be happy together...why did it end?!?!?!?!?!?
The Logan-Rory break-up was terribly written IMO.

Logan has always been written inconsistently - so I'm not really surprised. We've always seen him switch back and forth between his destructive habits and his attentive maturity, without ever melding the two sides. And it always seemed contrived. (I think Luke and Christopher suffered from inconsistent writing too, but I won't go there). It seems like the writers decided 'Rory should break up with Logan' and worked backwards, instead of asking 'Where is this relationship going?' and progressing from there.

First, Logan asks Rory to marry him in front of a bunch of party guests? Sorry, but Logan would never commit such a blunder - he's too good at reading people and social situations. And then he gives Rory an ultimatum? Where is this sudden desire to be immediately married coming from? I could see Logan asking for an ultimatum in haste to persuade Rory - but for him to actually stick with it? And what's with Rory just letting him storm away?

It's just slopping storytelling, period.

I did however like Luke and Lorelai - nothing big and fancy, just an acceptance of their feelings. I thought Luke's line about just wanting to see Lorelai happy was spot on.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television