Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Fans of British television shows...

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:11 am
Fifth Year

Re: Fans of British television shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
I've seen clips of it, on the extras on the Spaced DVD. It was intriguing to say the least
I checked earlier - its not on DVD .... yet.
I have only two episodes I taped from years ago - but I did watch it at the time. It was darker, messier but really funny.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:33 am
Suteki da ne

I'm currently watching Father Ted, which although it's good I can't help but think it gets a bit old very quickly- it's god some good bits in it though

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 3rd, 2009, 9:51 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
I'm currently watching Father Ted, which although it's good I can't help but think it gets a bit old very quickly- it's god some good bits in it though
I adore Father Ted. Where are you up to?

It isn't as nearly as clever as Black Books but there are definitely some classic moments in there.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:12 am
Suteki da ne

I picked up series three in a charity shop for 50p, and I've just watched the football episode, the one where Father Ted finds out that his forfeit for cheating on the football match is to "Kick Bishop Brennan up the...".

Ahh, Black Books. Utterly Awesome! My favourite episode is "The Entertainer", where Manny realises that he can play the piano. Loads of people I've spoken to though, their favourite episode is "Elephants and Hens" where they write the kids book

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:36 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Ahh, Black Books. Utterly Awesome! My favourite episode is "The Entertainer", where Manny realises that he can play the piano. Loads of people I've spoken to though, their favourite episode is "Elephants and Hens" where they write the kids book
I find it difficult to choose a favourite episode but I think that Season Two was the strongest overall.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:40 am
Suteki da ne

I agree with that. Series one was them just getting a feel for it, and series three, although good, had some pretty strange storylines, even for them. I mean- the explorer and the cat? What was all that about.

Although "I told you- no legal fijjy-wijjiness" is a pretty amazing line

Have you looked up Spaced yet- I really think that you'd enjoy it

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 3rd, 2009, 8:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I prefer the IT crowd, I think Graham Linehan does a better job with it - less repetitive and better comedians.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:31 pm
First Year

The Mighty Boosh - just needed to mention it. Best British comedy show EVER!!!

But I do like Black books - a very wise friend introduced me to it.

Not so fond of spaced and I love father Ted.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBB View Post
The Mighty Boosh - just needed to mention it. Best British comedy show EVER!!!
Don't leave out snuffbox - falls under the Boosh protective wing!

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:26 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupe & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
I tried watching that show, Father Ted... and I didn't like it. It bored me to death really quickly . No offense meant to any fans of it.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:34 am
Suteki da ne

No, none taken! I'm not the world's biggest fan, but we all like slightly different things, don't we?
I'm currently watching the League of Gentlemen- like someone else mentioned before, it has a really awful laughter track on the first series (I can't remember if it's on the second and third- it's not on the christmas one though) but if you can train yourself to ignore it, and get past the general weirdness of it, it's really good. I've watched it since the first broadcast of the first episode- although the first time I saw that I wasn't sure how to take it...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 4th, 2009, 12:56 am

Quote:
No, none taken! I'm not the world's biggest fan, but we all like slightly different things, don't we?
I'm currently watching the League of Gentlemen- like someone else mentioned before, it has a really awful laughter track on the first series (I can't remember if it's on the second and third- it's not on the christmas one though) but if you can train yourself to ignore it, and get past the general weirdness of it, it's really good. I've watched it since the first broadcast of the first episode- although the first time I saw that I wasn't sure how to take it...
Yep .

Ah that's cool. I've have had to ignore more than my share of annoying laugh tracks... gawd, M*A*S*H and The Golden Girls were known for those. And thank god to FOX (which actually did something good for once)... to having a 'no laugh track' option on the M*A*S*H dvd's. It helped to make the show that much more enjoyable.

I'd really like to smack the person (or persons) who invented that infernal device ...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:17 am
Suteki da ne

Oh I agree. I mean I don't mind if they do recordings in front of studio audiences, that's different because the actors can then milk the situation.
A good example is Red Dwarf. Series 1-6 were filmed mainly in front of studio audiences, and it shows in the actors' work. But in series 7 they got rid of the studio audience, so the actors had to put their trust in the scripts a lot more, and it showed, for example the laughter from the audiences shown the completed episodes had to be fitted into the actors' lines instead of the actors fitting their lines around the audience's laughter, which I think is a much more organic way to do it...

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:31 am

Quote:
Oh I agree. I mean I don't mind if they do recordings in front of studio audiences, that's different because the actors can then milk the situation.
A good example is Red Dwarf. Series 1-6 were filmed mainly in front of studio audiences, and it shows in the actors' work. But in series 7 they got rid of the studio audience, so the actors had to put their trust in the scripts a lot more, and it showed, for example the laughter from the audiences shown the completed episodes had to be fitted into the actors' lines instead of the actors fitting their lines around the audience's laughter, which I think is a much more organic way to do it...
I know -- it just sounds so fake. But if it's flimed in front of a studio audience -- then I have no issue there. Milking a situation = one really good scene.

I really love live shows better. Like you said, it's more organic.

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:36 am
Suteki da ne

Me too. And I think that's why the bloke in charge of Red Dwarf reverted back to the studio audience in series 8 of Red Dwarf- it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience for the audience, and I assume the actors too

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:46 am

Quote:
Me too. And I think that's why the bloke in charge of Red Dwarf reverted back to the studio audience in series 8 of Red Dwarf- it just makes for a much more enjoyable experience for the audience, and I assume the actors too
Well that was good of him to do. Since shows seem to do better that way. It just seems so false when they don't perform in front of a live studio audience. It kind of sucks the fun out of stuff there .

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:58 am
Suteki da ne

Yeah- again I agree. It's a shame he had to revert back to recording without an audience for the special they just released- but it was a dead complicated one, and one shot a lot on location (yeah, check me out with my filming lingo lol)

Anyway- back to topic

I'm watching the Fast Show Live, and I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoy this show. I need to get the real series now.

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 4th, 2009, 2:13 am

Quote:
Yeah- again I agree. It's a shame he had to revert back to recording without an audience for the special they just released- but it was a dead complicated one, and one shot a lot on location (yeah, check me out with my filming lingo lol)

Anyway- back to topic

I'm watching the Fast Show Live, and I'd actually forgotten how much I enjoy this show. I need to get the real series now.
Wow that had to be a bummer. And I got the lingo... it must have been a pain for them to be able to shoot on location.

Ah, what's that show (Fast Show Live) may I ask?

Old September 4th, 2009, 2:26 am
Suteki da ne

The Fast show was a British sketch show popular in the 90s. The Fast Show live is a recording of their tour that they did

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old September 7th, 2009, 5:05 pm
Third Year

I've been watching the X-Factor lately and found that the singers in Britain are more charming with more personality and can sing better than those on American Idol, IMO. And Simon seems to like it more there.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television